Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I'm now a Strav*******...

And absolutely loving it !

Wow what a great idea... And I have it hooked up with my Garmin Edge 500... And that thing is awesome too...

Kind of cool to see how you stack up against other riders...

I wish I bought this thing before I did my 22.1 mph average road ride last sunday...

I have no idea what wild hair got up my ass on that ride... sometimes you got it, sometimes you don't...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    what the heck.. they filtered strava$$hhole

Go Speed Racer
    Yeah, I came over to the dark side earlier this year (also with a 500) and loving it also. I enjoy getting home and mainly comparing my effort to my previous rides. The heart rate data is awesome also...

mtbr member
    I think Endomondo is better. Seems to run better on my phone and has more options. If I want to Strava it up, I can always export a GPX and upload it to Strava that way.

mtbr member
    Geesh... I am 3rd place on the dixie lollipop (Phoenix PSP) for 45-54years old, and I felt like $hhit this morning.. I took it easy...

Uh oh... here we go... my competitive spirit is getting the best of me.. But man 3rd place ... wow...

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, that app will push you to try just a little harder. My biggest challenge is to not get wrapped in the whole timed run thing, even on a long loop. I still make it a point to stop if I see a really cool photo op. I just paired mine with the Edge 510 and it's even got a live track option so other people can follow your ride. For better or worse
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    ****. I can't say strav******* on here?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Strava club. It can be alot of if you don't let it get the best of you. Just ride you ride and check later to see how you did. I can make you alot faster by providing feedback when you ride hard and when you are off.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    The only problem with Strava on road segments is drafting pacelines. Along comes a paceline at a leisurely pace of 23-24mph and all the sudden you go from 3rd to 53rd and none of the 50 were even breaking a sweat. I still use it though.

On an MTB course like Desert Classic for example, there are probably 30 or more segments. It's interesting to see which ones I do well as opposed to where I suck compared to the masses.

mtbr member
    There are more issues to just pacelines in Strava. Take wind. It is less critical on a mtn bike, but on a road bike most of my best segments are done wind aided. That can make it hard to compare my ride on non windy day to those with wind. Some days I will put in ride if it was windy, but not always does it stay windy the entire ride.

Anyway Strava is nice, but imperfect. Just remember that when comparing to others and you own rides. That said it is really cool to see your performance and how it stacks up vs others. Plus it is great to "lock-in" that super day when were flying and remember it really happened. I have few days where I put in some really killer rides with great pace over distance that I look back wonder how I knocked it out that fast for that long. Having the ride stored proves to me what I can do when I am clicking both on fitness and bike handling.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Yes, I do think, with my personality, I could become too obsessed with this... no doubt... I really should be happy that I am in good shape and leave it at that... especially considering how fat I was 2 years ago...

mtbr member
    BTW you are only a Stravashole when you don't respect the other riders/hikers on the trail just to get a good segment time.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    BTW you are only a Stravashole when you don't respect the other riders/hikers on the trail just to get a good segment time.
    People that are disrespectful with Strava were most likely that way before Strava.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I think Endomondo is better. Seems to run better on my phone and has more options. If I want to Strava it up, I can always export a GPX and upload it to Strava that way.
    Yeah, I used endomondo for a couple of years before I got my Garmin Edge 500. I agree it works better on your phone (well I had a blackberry and Strava does not even have an app, so Endomondo was really my only option). I recently found this site (https://tapiriik.com/) that syncs up all the major trackers... So now I use Garmin, upload to strava and then let tapirik sync everything up.

Endomondo is better at some things, but I do like Strava a little bit more. That and basically no one is using Endomondo...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I like Strava. I use Strava on every ride. I've heard stories of people racing down trails in an attempt to get a KOM. That's fine if the trail isn't highly populated. However, racing down National or other equally busy trails is not cool IMHO. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. That said, used wisely Strava is an incredible tool.

mtbr member
    Good night lights were made for downhill KOMs... Thats my theory... I look at some of the downhill times for that first hill out of the PSP south parking lot and I have to hope nobody was trying that with hikers around... really...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    ...(well I had a blackberry and Strava does not even have an app, so Endomondo was really my only option).
    I have a Blackberry and use Strava. I use GPS Logger and that creates my GPS tracks. I then upload the .gpx file to Strava. The GPS logger app is nice since it also sends location information to any email I want at intervals I choose. Plus I have it set to log a data point every 2 seconds. It does not drain the battery and provides a nice stable GPS track.
    Joe

Ahhh the pain....
    For those that want a bit more analysis than what strava provides, try the following...
    Detailed Strava KOM Analysis shows your position wrt another rider along a segment. Useful to see where you either gain or lose time.
    VeloViewer - Welcome! nice way to see all your rides and provide some different type of charts and graphs.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    For me Strava is good and bad. I'll use my ride last week on the BCT Little Pan Loop "Whole Enchilada" segment as an example. The good was finally getting my name on the finisher list, after multiple failed attempts. According to Strava, only 131 people have completed the "Whole Enchilada" ride, so it was nice to finally get my name on the list. The bad was my finishing time, which was pretty close to the back of the pack. This makes me wonder how these other people are so much faster than me.

mtbr member
    People forget about the best feature of Strava.
    See all the cool places people ride, with an option to download gpx(or have a buddy who is a Strava member download it for you) and ride there yourself.

Getting on the leaderboards is just a bonus to stroke your ego.

And yes bombing segments for a KOM with crowded trails is just plain dumb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    The bad was my finishing time, which was pretty close to the back of the pack. This makes me wonder how these other people are so much faster than me.
    Climbing segments, I'm usually in the top third. Descending segments, I'm usually in the bottom half or bottom third. Such is life, I guess.

Give it a crank
    I like losing KOM's I didn't know I even had.

mtbr member
    I actually really like how it tracks how much elevation and distance you are doing. And plotting it on graphs... Assuming you upload all your rides...

Now, comparing against others is an ego thing.. But no different from riding in races... But I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing how your performace compares among the population.

And yes I realize for road segments, there will be wind riders and those who take advantage of the peleton.. and even an occasional automobile doing the work... All of that just adds humor to the mix...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I like losing KOM's I didn't know I even had.
    I agree!! I don't have many & the one's I do have usually are called 'unnamed road climb' & 1/1!!

I try and create remote segments just to see if anyone will ever take a bike out there (read: lots of HAB), gotta make Ray, Bart & RJ earn it.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Climbing segments, I'm usually in the top third. Descending segments, I'm usually in the bottom half or bottom third. Such is life, I guess.
    Yeah. Kind of hard to know if people are cheating too. For all we know, people could be riding Strava doped up or on an electric mountain bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast