Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

I'm new to PHX, so help me out (NBC)

I am not from Phoenix, so I am a nubile in the way the rules and social codes work around here. That being said, I am confused.

WTF is with the people in this town? Between the self-entitled *******s, the people doing 54 in a 65, and the holier than thou riders, I am just at a loss.

I come from a place with a community, both in the light and in the dark. Certain things are just not tolerated from my previous zipcode. But down here, its like part of the show.

Is it me? Do I need to mellow out, learn to love snow-birds and self entitled mexicans, or should I bring out my spiked baseball bat and go back to whipping ass?

Sorry, had to get that out. If you get to know me you'll find I tend to just say whatever is bouncing around upstairs.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I am not from Phoenix, so I am a nubile in the way the rules and social codes work around here. That being said, I am confused.

WTF is with the people in this town? Between the self-entitled *******s, the people doing 54 in a 65, and the holier than thou riders, I am just at a loss.

I come from a place with a community, both in the light and in the dark. Certain things are just not tolerated from my previous zipcode. But down here, its like part of the show.

Is it me? Do I need to mellow out, learn to love snow-birds and self entitled mexicans, or should I bring out my spiked baseball bat and go back to whipping ass?

Sorry, had to get that out. If you get to know me you'll find I tend to just say whatever is bouncing around upstairs.
    I think you said in another post that your from Tahoe? This is small town vs. big city syndrome. I'm from a small ski town in Colorado (pop. 3000, w/ visitors up to 150,000)
    When I first moved here I had no desire to speed on the local streets, freeways are different, and being that it was a small town you just yelled out your window for a ride, no need for internet.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Jib has it right. While here- it seems to be many citizens goal to see how few people they actually need to look in the eye during a normal day. (get in car, open garage, go to work, drivehome, stop at storeuse self checkout, open garage, close gargage, get out of car, enter house, do not leave it)

Also, there are too many people in this town that came from humble roots and low income that suddenly have income and think they are righ (see-many residents on outskirts of town-ghetto fabulous is what I call them here in G-town). You will recognize those as the ones with the So-Cal stickers in their lifted F250 truck that never towed and now runs on stock size tires, with that big lift. Lots of selfishness.

I spent lots of time in my last vocation traveling everywhere but here. And I noticed that towns with less than 1.5-2 million people were better-much better. In fact- Tucson has more soul that Phoenix. This place is a saltine cracker. But alas- I remain. Wife, lots of her family, her career and now a new grandchild for them to pore over means I get to stay. SO I decided to try to buck the trend when I can. There are many others that do as well- they are just hard to find. Welcome to Phoenix- don't become onne of them!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    It's pretty much LA junior.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

"Lurkers R us"
    There are a lot of people here, so it's easy to find bad ones.
    If somebody drives bad so what.
    If one of them has a bad attitude so what.
    I've met some of the coolest people in the world here, and I've met some of the biggest jerk offs here.
    I have lived in quite a few places and this is where I'm staying I like it here.
    Great trails, good free ways, mountains close by ( I can go to snow but don't have to live in it ), Great restaurants, I got a lot of house for my money, Ect., Ect., Ect.
    I have never lived some where where there was no crappy drivers.
    Look for the good stuff it's a diamond in the rough.
    2 cents!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    A nubile? Meeeeoooooowww!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    self entitled*******s

self entitled mexicans
    Let me guess. You're not mexican?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    And, a further guess, not "self-entitled" either. Though, really, the term is simply "entitled."

Nubile? Really. Mmmmmm...

If you don't like it, maybe where you came from would like to have you back. Just saying.

pedaller
    It's all part of the show.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    who cares... do your thing and let everyone else be a ******.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm pretty new here too, and I actually think this is a pretty relaxed place. Of course...I moved here from Chicago...where 55 means 75, yellow means speed up, and the finger is the international sign for...well...ANYTHING. I personally like a city where people don't have to speed everywhere; where you can go to an outside bar year round and just relax. In Chicago, everything's fast, FAst, FAST!!! I love that I can slow down here and just enjoy life. Or take a cruise in the mountains on my motorcycle instead of on the Dan Ryan hoping I don't hit a pothole or get hit by a car who thinks that theyr'e entitled to 2 lanes of road. I work for a bank, and it's DEAD here on Saturdays. In Chicago, not only is our busiest day Saturday, but EVERYBODY complains that we're not open on Sunday.

This is just my opinion, but I can see where coming from a really small town things here are going to piss you off. There's more culture and more people; which means more *******s and people who annoy the crap out of you.

Oh...but the thing that pisses me off the most...are the people who are from Arizona who think they're the most entitled people ever because they were born here. Like it's a bragging right. STFU, your parents weren't born here, and even if they WERE, their parents weren't.

mtbr member
    It is a big deal,cuz 90% of people here aren't from here.It's kind of a local joke.So if you hear it for the rest of the time you live here,don't get too bent outta shape.
    Ive lived most everywhere too.This ain't the place for everyone,but some of us actually like it here.
    The only entitled mexicans I've seen are the ones on tv from california who come over here to protest.Most can work circles around you and me.
    -And,I can see the chick texting ,3 cars in front of me before she slams on her brakes in front of you,from the cab of my giant, red ,lifted,f250 that runs on waste Vege oil,that's taking 4 guys to sunrise tommorow.I love stereotypes and generalities as much as anybody.Just don't base your core belief systems on them.
    codafurnituredesign.com

banned

No, its not just you. Thats the general mentality around here. everyone is so self absorbed by their own self importance that they will cut you off leaving circle K. And god forbid you try to be courteous and let some into your lane of traffic to exit without some a$$hatt laying on the horn cause you made him .000987535377365353 seconds late to work to pay for his overpriced, upside-down track home and his wifes fake t!ts.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    until last year,, i thought circle K was just a made-up place for the bill & ted movies...

oh man oh man oh man,,, horrible new pun just popped into my head and if i dont tell anyone ill forget it by tomorrow...
    did you know the obamas have a secret 3rd child they named after a bottle of salad dressing?? Shayquel

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    until last year,, i thought circle K was just a made-up place for the bill & ted movies...
    When I was younger I thought the same thing...then on a family vacation we went to one and I thought it was the most bad@$$ thing ever!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    No, its not just you. Thats the general mentality around here. everyone is so self absorbed by their own self importance that they will cut you off leaving circle K. And god forbid you try to be courteous and let some into your lane of traffic to exit without some a$$hatt laying on the horn cause you made him .000987535377365353 seconds late to work to pay for his overpriced, upside-down track home and his wifes fake t!ts.
    Got pictures?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Scary- back up a bit man- you KNOW who I am talking about-comment on the whole sentence and not just what you pick out. And that wasn't a generalization at all- I think that besides putting up pics and naming names- I nailed it-not you. OR-maybe your post wasn't directed back to me. When you are as awesome as me- that just happens. This face used to cash checks- this dik-WHOOOO!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    I get so much crap for my truck from our "crowd".I could really care less,i take all in jest,but there are alot of presumptions on peoples part.My small penis aside,it actually has some practical purposes.Plus I can't drive like I normally would in a more agile vehicle.
    I should get a slightly smaller"SKIN" rear window decal though.I can't see anything behind me.
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not to be all "we are the world" here, but I've lived in many places, the West, mid-West, and the South....

And at the end of the day, people are pretty much the same everywhere, period, full stop. Everywhere: people are self absorbed, drive bad, live beyond their means, text while driving, drive lifted trucks (although in the south, you get more stars and bars on the back), and go through life with their own prejudices.

I'm glad the OP seems to be inordinately concerned with what he calls "Mexicans" (although it's not totally clear if he actually means people from Mexico, legally or illegally, or Americans with ancestors from Mexico), but.....is it possible that the OP himself is actually making life here in fair Phoenix a little less tolerable for others?

I'm the last person to tell you to go back where you came from, but if you're going to blame your sour disposition on your current location and those who live there....why stay?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Tattooo and DJake… why did you move here in the first place?

I am a native. My wife's a native and my parents came here in 1946. Her parents came here as little children in the late 1920s.

My Mother picked the place by throwing a dart at a map with her best friend when they were ready to get out of Iowa. My Father was looking for a place where he could earn a living outside of a factory.

My wife's Mother's parents came here because the Doctor told them that the dry climate was the only hope for her Tuberculosis.

The city has definitely changed, some ways for the better but mostly not. Most of the negative changes including the big city attitude have at their root the fact that too many people have and are moving here. The Phoenix metropolitan area has 5 times as many people as it did when I was 20.

That said Phoenix is still the best major metropolitan area to be a mountain biker in. We have the two largest city parks in the USA and they are both nearly completely open to mountain bikes. I went by a dozen hikers today on the PMP and every single one of them was friendly. Add the other trail systems like Pima & Dynamite, MSP, BCT, Hawes, White Tanks, Estrella, McDowell’s and you have a very rare convergence of big city opportunity and a ton of readily accessible riding.

As long as the city and County continue to recognize that open space is a critical element of the quality of life here it’s going to be OK. The danger is that the quality of life will draw more people if we don’t do something to control the growth.
    Last edited by rideandshoot; 08-22-2010 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    scary, you mean to tell me my lifted F-350 isn't agile? But the the train horns are for when I get cut off towing the 40ft toyhauler. No skin stickers here though( well not skin, fox, or anything else... just my arizona powerstroke group sticker and fire sticker).

Whats wrong with lifted trucks anyways? too hard to see around? Like scary said... aside from my small penis I ride and feel extremely safe in a big firetruck so guess what I have a big truck for my personal car and my wife has one of the biggest SUV's for safety reasons. I've seen what your "safe" compact cars do in a wreck... I'll willingly pay for the added gas...

But I agree with so far everyone else. I'm from Tucson and there's ass hats everywhere. But drive safe, be respectful and your good to go! Lets go ride....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    maybe tatooo moved in order to ride at fantasy island.. for more complicated trails instead of just riding dee-plainn ones.

its cheap as hell to move to AZ right now, so get ready for new peeps to snatch up some real estate.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm just trying to figure out where you actually saw a snow-bird in August here in the valley? Me thinks you have troll-o-vision.........because obviously, you know nothing about the valley if you imply that snowbirds are out and about in August here.......

Just sayin'.....but have a Great Day nonetheless.

mtbr member

The snow birds and Mexicans are part of your community now. Welcome to the show.

I moved here from Boise, Idaho about five years ago and find that people here in the Phoenix area are generally quite relaxed and friendly.
    Last edited by hikerdave; 08-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i outright refuse to call pop 'soda'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast