Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I'm back and pretty disgusted

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Blatant 
#1 ·
After a much needed hiatus from mountain biking, the Firebird was lubed up and I hit National. Two things I'm upset about:

1.) My riding is far from what it used to be. It will come back

2.) Pretty sad to see SO MANY alterations to the trail to accommodate newbies! There were at least 3 major rocks that have been moved to make the trail "easier." And one of the rocks appeared to have been dug up. Unreal.....

#9 ·
It seems that there are quite a few people who would rather make the trail easier then attempt to challenge themselves and practice on the areas they are unable to ride. I love the feeling I get when I've been trying to ride a section that I've been unable to ride for months, then when I do, I feel like I've improved my skill and accomplished something. And then, that section gets sanitized for people who are new to mountain biking.

Isn't mountain biking about trying to do something you think you cannot? Make it to the top of a hill without stopping, which you never thought possible? Ride a rocky/tech section without falling, when you thought you would always superman over the bars?

One thing that disgusts me is when I'm able to overcome one of these challenges, then someone dumbs the trail down and that challenge becomes long lost.

Don't sanitize, Practice! You can do it!

Reactions: Zoke2
#2 ·
Do you think it's possible that it will continue to erode and be back to it's dug-out shape as far as those trail features are concerned at some point? My experience riding it over years, usually with significant changes in between, was that it continually changed and was in a process of eroding and bigger "holes" ending up in between the rocks or up against the rocks, and a few of these were repaid from time to time, so it would continue to go through the process....unless you need it to be like 24th street or more technical than that?

#15 ·
I have never ridden Holbert, or anything else in Sedona actually. One day... I'm not sure about everyone else, but I ride stuff based on mood. I ride trail A when I want fun, fast, and flowey. Then trail B when I want a challenge. I would hope that everyone realizes that there are enough trails (at least in the Phoenix area) to appeal to EVERY riding style, that nothi g should be changed ever. If you can't find a trail nearby and need to change an existing trail, than you don't need to be riding a bike. Maintaining is obviously its own deal. Not sure if that answers anything.

Reactions: Birdss
#17 ·
I'm curious why people with 170mm travel bikes complain about the trails being dumbed down / made easier. There are some areas that require that much travel but not general trails. If you want to ride normal trails that are opened to general public (as opposed to DH / AM stuff) use a trail bike or challenge yourself with a rigid SS

#18 ·
I agree with that. I currently ride a 6.5" bike, 36 lbs. It's my only bike. When I had 2 bikes, my other one was suspension less. Trails get MUCH tougher on that bike, whereas the big bike is more point and shoot. The challenge I face is climbing and keeping up with hard tails. Luckily with the gym, keeping up has gotten easier. I was able to do pretty damn well at the dawn to dusk races. Even passed a few dirt roadies along the way!

#19 · (Edited)
This is a vary common topic over here in Aus atm, so it seems the same thing is happening - more new riders on XC 29ers = dumb down trails.
Thanks tysonnemb, and daugela I wasn't trying to flame you. At my local trails it's finally being made official, which is better than being closed. A few of us are doing the trail care up to IMBA standard. The major local bike shop is a Specialized dealer mainly. The 2 most common new bikes appearing are 29ers and Enduros. So the Enduro guys and gals want a lot different from the 29er crowd. The further away from the carpark the more technical we can build and trying to add features (A & B lines) as much as possible. But IMO if you are riding a XC rig or >150mm don't expect trails to suit your bike. Those bikes are build for a specific purpose and if you want to use them elsewhere suck it up.

#21 ·
TD; you need another date with HOLBERT; I think I saw you dab once, or twice!
Lets keep the tech trails the way they are, please. And one day, who knows, I might ride it clean.
National gets so much action, from all sorts of users; maybe the horses have learned how to move rocks; nor just dislodge them.
TS

#22 ·
Take a look at the most recent BIKE Mag article about the "best trail in the world" in Squamish BC. It's called "Half Nelson". Supposedly, it can be ridden by anyone, on any bike. It's a great trail for newbies and experts alike!

I have not ridden "Half Nelson", but I can speak to trails in Hood River that sound similar in that they provide "options" for those that desire jumps & drops. While those that want rippin' single track just stay on the main path. Options to double-up or even triple-up are key to appealing to every rider from newbie to expert. Mandatory features are not always inclusive. My 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.