Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If it was you?

Eat, Poop, Pedal.

If it was you?

Hey guys/gals,
    Me and a few buddies are heading down to Arizona this November(22-30) for a bike tour. I can't think of a better research resource than the locals!! We have 7-8 days of riding, around 600 miles. We haven't set any location in stone but would like to start our tour in Mesa(we are leaving our truck at a friends house, he's new to the area). Where would you go knowing the area/state? What places/roads/routes are must do's and what roads to avoid? Any input is MUCH appreciated!!
    Thank You!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

EDR

Re: If it was you?

It would help if you let us know what type of riding you were looking for. In Mesa there are some obvious suggestions. But they are not all smooth flowy single track. Are you up to some rocky technical stuff thrown in with your xc?.... With some relatively short but tough climbs and some fantastic Sonoran Desert views along the way?

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Oh, i'm sorry! We are riding our rigid bikes with panniers, loaded with our gear, supplies, whiskey, etc.. So the roughest we are wanting is gravel forest roads.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ????? No idea ?????

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Oh, i'm sorry! We are riding our rigid bikes with panniers, loaded with our gear, supplies, whiskey, etc.. So the roughest we are wanting is gravel forest roads.
    I'm out!

Maybe I read it wrong but if you are seriously looking for 600 miles then start at the southern end of the AZ trail and make your way to the Grand Canyon. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe there is a forum for road bikes where you could get better info. Its kind of like you asked a snowboarder the best place to go cross country skiing.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Maybe there is a forum for road bikes where you could get better info. Its kind of like you asked a snowboarder the best place to go cross country skiing.
    Yeah, I'm confused as to what the OP is looking for.

mtbr member
    If you want nice paved bike riding trails I would suggest that you keep going to So Cal.

If you want some incredible cross country MTB riding - we have tons of it - but I would at least suggest a front shock - there is tons of rock out here.

Maybe the OP is about some lesser traveled highways and roads with nice views that they can ride on. I am sure freeskier could help you with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow..... 20+ years mtn biking in Az and never realized a front shock was necessary.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Wow..... 20+ years mtn biking in Az and never realized a front shock was necessary.
    Well, now you know.

mtbr member

Have you tried this site? bikepacking.net > Trip Reports

Quite a few reports on various sections of the AZT. Here's a popular loop: bikepacking.net > Trip Reports > Coconino Creation > AKA CocoMingoBob

I'm guessing with a little recon, you could access the Cocomingo loop from Phoenix/Mesa via the BCT with mimimal pavement.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a 7 day drop out on the bike or a few rides heading back to base camp everynow and then?

Probably the best thing to do is look for some of the national forest roads. Arizona has lots of national forest with labeled forest roads that are probably to your liking. We have some nice long mtb trails, but they will rougher than forest roads.

Here is a bikepack trip that might cover a route that would work.

RR: Bikepacking to 24hr Town (pic heavy)
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hmmm, interesting request. If the OP is looking for gravel grinder type routes, then the Coco is OFF the list. A route that comes to mind from Mesa would be something like heading north on AZ88 out past Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt, left on AZ188 to FR143 (El Oso Rd) take that up to Four Peaks then down the other side to AZ87. Finish it off by riding down Bush Hwy to Usury Pass Rd. Some of those roads, the paved ones, don't have much of a shoulder & you may want to do this loop mid-week to help ease traffic.

I'd probably invest in a couple of the Nat'l forest maps and just go exploring via the forest roads if that's the type of riding you're looking for.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I linked your bikepack trip to 24 of Old Pueblo towm from last Feb. Do you think that would work for these guys? I get the impression you skipped alot of more technical stuff on that ride, but you did it so you know best.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, I think 90% of that route meets the OP's criteria. There will be some short sections of HAB, a possible scaling of a fence where the dirt trail meets up with Hunt Hwy. I'd stay on Willow Springs Rd. to the 24 hr course though, bypassing the Painter Boy segment (the last few miles of the route). Not everyone enjoys the route finding required on that bit.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Sorry for the confusion! We are looking for less traveled roads and highways with great views. We would like to do a "loop" so we end back in Mesa at our truck. We are basically doing what touring motorcyclists do, except on a bicycle. A 7 day, 600 mile loop. We are looking at linking highways and forest roads together to make a 600 mile loop. Keep in mind we are carrying all of our gear and supplies on our bikes.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    edited again.

apache trail -- globe/young hwy--- 260 -- rim road -- strawberry--- 260 back to campverde -- to cottonwood -- to Jerome (still 260) -- to 69 south to Mayer -- at Mayer take pine flats road to senator hwy -- senator hwy up to crown king -- crown king road down to bloody basin road -- east to FR24 seven springs road -- south to cave creek road -- (many options to get south) --
    to dynamite road -- east to rio verde -- rio verde road south to fountain hills -- take 87 for a short distance and then take gilbert road south to mesa...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    I always thought a shock worked a lot better for rear suspension...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    "If it was you?"

If it was me, I'd leave all that gear in the truck, drive to one of the MANY FABULOUS mountain biking (I think that's what the 'mtb' stands for in mtbr.com) destinations in AZ, such as Tucson, Flagstaff, and Sedona, and throw down some awesome, technical, 30-mile loops on a capable bike.

But that's me.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    edited again.

apache trail -- globe/young hwy--- 260 -- rim road -- strawberry--- 260 back to campverde -- to cottonwood -- to Jerome (still 260) -- to 69 south to Mayer -- at Mayer take pine flats road to senator hwy -- senator hwy up to crown king -- crown king road down to bloody basin road -- east to FR24 seven springs road -- south to cave creek road -- (many options to get south) --
    to dynamite road -- east to rio verde -- rio verde road south to fountain hills -- take 87 for a short distance and then take gilbert road south to mesa...

I can add a few more options/suggestions (in red) from knowledge of these areas on big motos...

apache trail -- 188 North --- A-Cross Rd. --- globe/young hwy (288)--- 260 -- rim road -- strawberry --- Fossil Creek Rd (Oops! Not Open until 2015!) --- 260 to campverde --

Lots of options from here. Here's just a couple: Option 1: Take Cherry Creek Rd to Cherry & take FR132 to Jerome via Mingus Mtn. Option 2: Take Cherry Creek Rd & continue to Old Cherry Creek Rd past Orme to Old Sycamore Rd. Then to Mayer and Pine Flats or even take Black Canyon Trial south from Spring Valley Area.

Or to cottonwood -- to Jerome (still 260) -- to 69 south to Mayer Find your way to FR 132 and take Cherry Creek/Old Cherry Rd to Mayer -- at Mayer take pine flats road to senator hwy -- senator hwy up to crown king -- crown king road down to bloody basin road -- east to FR24 seven springs road -- south to cave creek road -- (many options to get south) --

Or something like that.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 09-30-2013 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey!!! Don't forget Prescott!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    "If it was you?"

If it was me, I'd leave all that gear in the truck, drive to one of the MANY FABULOUS mountain biking (I think that's what the 'mtb' stands for in mtbr.com) destinations in AZ, such as Tucson, Flagstaff, and Sedona, and throw down some awesome, technical, 30-mile loops on a capable bike.

But that's me.

mtbr member
    thx yardstick... A lot of options there... good way to get it off the pavement...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    "If it was you?"

But that's me.
    Yeah, but your soundtrack would be some kind of Robert Fripp/Danny Gatton twisted mess with a crazy norwegian transvestite playing bass.

Wait...I would SO listen to that album.

Nevermind!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    thx yardstick... A lot of options there... good way to get it off the pavement...
    Off the pavement is my preferred method of travel!

This Cottonwood to Jerome loop might make a good bikepacking ride too. I have gpx tracks for a lot of these routes.

mtbr member
    FSR 300 (general crook trail) from Camp Verde to New Mexico & back if required.

You could also start in Flagstaff & ride off road to Williams, then to Jerome, the dirt road to Cherry, the to Camp Verde, FSR 300 to Knoll lake (or beyond) the N. along the Chevelon Creek drainage, to Winslow, out across the Rez to Leupp/Grand Falls crossing of the Little Colorado River, to Wupatki and then back to Flag......
    - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast