mtbr member
    Oct 2008

ideas??? cool(temp) and no tourist getaway

looking to get out of the valley for a couple days with the wife. prob be a sun-mon or mon -tues trip, to try and avoid as many tourist as possible. is flag overrun with tourist in the summer? wife is an intermediate rider, nothing technical.

p.s.
    has anyone been to the alpine area in socal? between here an san diego?

thx

Elitest thrill junkie
    What do you mean by tourists? People in town? People at trailheads? People on trails?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i guess first and foremost are people on the trails.

i've heard places like sedona, in town, can become a parking lot with tourist. we've never been up to sedona/flag/prescott before in the summer. this is our second summer in the valley. we went to a b&b in sedona last fall, kids in school, and didn't have any issues with traffic jams on the trails or in town.

i know sedona is mega-touristy, flag i really don't know how, if any, touristy it gets. obviously it's cooler, but if you don't go for mtn biking is there any other draw?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    i guess first and foremost are people on the trails.

i've heard places like sedona, in town, can become a parking lot with tourist. we've never been up to sedona/flag/prescott before in the summer. this is our second summer in the valley. we went to a b&b in sedona last fall, kids in school, and didn't have any issues with traffic jams on the trails or in town.

i know sedona is mega-touristy, flag i really don't know how, if any, touristy it gets. obviously it's cooler, but if you don't go for mtn biking is there any other draw?
    Aren't you a tourist, too? From out of town, up to see the sights, head out to the trails with the other 1000's of people from out of town, grab a meal, maybe a hotel - Tourist.

I guess to awnser your question - Yes, the trails here are packed with out-of-towners every weekend that it's well above 100 in the valley.

To REALLY escape people, maybe the N. Rim of the GC?

Thanks for coming up, our economy really appreciates it!

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

slower than you
    i've only been in FLG for 21 years. which, to some, still makes me a tourist.

(and, fwiw, all trails south of town are basically devoid of people, even on the busiest weekends.)
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles View Post
    Aren't you a tourist, too? From out of town, up to see the sights, head out to the trails with the other 1000's of people from out of town, grab a meal, maybe a hotel - Tourist.

I guess to awnser your question - Yes, the trails here are packed with out-of-towners every weekend that it's well above 100 in the valley.

Where is the Super Like button on MTBR? This reply is priceless!!! I hope to be up to stimulate the Flag economy many times this summer.

To the OP - the Mt. Elden trails are never ever as crowded at South Mountain on a weekend, and the town is full of good places to eat, shop, and hang out. They even have a really nice hospital, should you need it. I do not suggest Sedona in the summer (not at all cool). And finally, Steve's suggestion about the N Rim is a good one if you really want to escape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles View Post

oh SNAP! i never thought of that! i AM a tourist, whoa.
    thanks for the education though not sure how or why i warranted it.

now...i totally understand what you're saying, and i agree with you on 99% of it. when i lived in florida, tourist cap of the world???, a crowded beach on a sept weekend had a different 'vibe' than a crowded july beach. the diff were the people. the crowd in sept were there to enjoy the beach just like the july people only the sept people knew; 1.) this is someone's home, 2.) people didn't stop to look at every little shell, crab, whatever there was on the beach. c'mon, don't tell me you've never been behind a car with out of town plates and uttered 'darn tourist' under your breathe for some reason.

i think you know what i'm saying, and asking. thank goodness for the tourist, they bring a lot of $$$ to our state and i'm thankful for it. a couple weeks ago i'm at the water fountain on south mtn filling my water bottles, a family comes up and asks if i can recommend a trail. they're all reasonably fit, i ask 'em if they have water, they do, so i point out a couple trails they can take from the parking lot we're standing in, or...i suggest they drive up a road a few miles and try one of the trails farther up. fewer people, no cars, quieter and a it's just cool cuz it goes down between the two mtn's.

and while i'm always happy to see the less than fit on the trail riding, because i'm glad to see people taking steps in a better direction for themselves, i just don't want to get behind a bus load of them.

and thanks for the suggestions so far...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    never noticed this before, do y'all see rockychrysler's post after mine, seems to be out of order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Go to Flag or Prescott... anywhere nice there are going to be peeps. We're currently in Crested Butte.. July 3... saw one rider on the trail...in town lots-o-people...Just gotta smile and do it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    maybe we should come to CB???
    thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Crested Butte rocks.... very hip little town with all kinds and levels of riding..from my front door..... no f@#$%ing driving... walking to the store last evening had a big ol' bear cruise by me..and the temps....60's and 70's...... rain this afternoon... makes the IPA taste even better..average age... 30... I'm much older but like the vibe youth brings. Look for a Deer Creek vid upcoming... Do it... when you're dead it becomes much harder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2