Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I know, ANOTHER snake thread

I'm looking for some info, hoping to get some tips from the natives and snake experts(Cenobite, got your ears on?)

Background: I've only lived AZ for two years. I was born and raised in the Portland Oregon area. Anyone that has spent time up there knows that there is not much as far as venomous creatures.

For the first year and a half in AZ I had not seen a single scorpion, black widow, or rattlesnake.

This year alone I have seen a handful of black widows, a few bark scorpions and in the last 4 days I have seen 2 bark scorpions, 1 hairy desert scorpion, 4 rattlesnakes, and a 3' black snake with white stripes. I can deal with the bugs, however, the snakes have a better range of attack.

So what gives? Why in the last couple days have I seen so many? I ride along the Beardsley canal along the flats at the bottom of the white tanks. I've also noticed that they have all been near junctions where smaller canals junction with the main one. Do they come out for a drink? Should I not be riding along the canal? Would the jeep trails out in the flats be a better choice?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    their homes probably got washed out from the monsoons, and you were so kind to open yours...

mtbr member
    I'm not an expert but if you just give them some distance and enjoy the view they will eventually slither away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I heard Cenobite jumped the border to grab some tacos, hopefully he comes back across to help FGR when we start throwing dirt around!

mtbr member
    Good snakes are dead snakes.

I've only seen one, but I threw a bunch of rocks at it until it left. If I had access to a bigger one, I would have dropped it on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post

I've only seen one, but I threw a bunch of rocks at it until it left. If I had access to a bigger one, I would have dropped it on it.
    HAHA! yer funny.

mtbr member

I surely hope you're kidding.

mtbr member
    I have lived in the desert for 30 years and seen many rattlesnakes and killed many rattlesnakes. If there is a snake on my property.. Kill first ask questions later. If I am out on trail I just steer clear. Noise is the best way to have them avoid you. If you are on the bike and see one just ride away. If they are blocking the trail stop and at a nice distance throw rocks to get them to move off the trail. Then when you ride by do it fast and don't stop. Most snakes will not strike unless you back them into a corner. So don't back them into a corner.

Also unless you packing a gun with snakeshot don't bother trying to kills snake in the wild. Chances are you not have the tools to do it. The exception is if you have shovel or hoe on hand are in the middle of trail building. Chances are you will be in one spot for a while and really don't want him hanging out around you. Then again just the noise of working is probably enough to have them stay away from you.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have lived in the desert for 30 years and seen many rattlesnakes and killed many rattlesnakes. If there is a snake on my property.. Kill first ask questions later. If I am out on trail I just steer clear. Noise is the best way to have them avoid you. If you are on the bike and see one just ride away. If they are blocking the trail stop and at a nice distance throw rocks to get them to move off the trail. Then when you ride by do it fast and don't stop. Most snakes will not strike unless you back them into a corner. So don't back them into a corner.

Also unless you packing a gun with snakeshot don't bother trying to kills snake in the wild. Chances are you not have the tools to do it. The exception is if you have shovel or hoe on hand are in the middle of trail building. Chances are you will be in one spot for a while and really don't want him hanging out around you. Then again just the noise of working is probably enough to have them stay away from you.
    Do you also kill dogs that wonder onto your property? You have a better chance of being bitten or killed by one of them.

I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never been in a situation where it was necessary to kill or harm a snake. I come across 2-5 rattlers a week on the trails here in Tucson and have had them at my front door at numerous houses. Just leave them be for a minute and they go away.

Meatbomb
    It's nature.. let it be.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by recovery View Post
    For the first year and a half in AZ I had not seen a single scorpion, black widow, or rattlesnake. This year alone I have seen a handful of black widows, a few bark scorpions and in the last 4 days I have seen 2 bark scorpions, 1 hairy desert scorpion, 4 rattlesnakes, and a 3' black snake with white stripes.
    Dude, come on over to my place. I hunt bark scorpions every couple nights and lately have yet to kill less than 5 of them every hunt. If they were just outside I wouldn't be bothered. But, they find their way in the house so I kill everything I see. And I'm not right off a preserve, either. Rovey Farms by the new Cardinals Stadium. I don't need to find out the hard way how much it hurts or that I'm allergic to them...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the input! I was a bit concerned last night. The last rattlesnake I came across was laying in a straight line across the middle of the road. I was lucky to spot him with enough time to stop.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Dude, come on over to my place. I hunt bark scorpions every couple nights and lately have yet to kill less than 5 of them every hunt. If they were just outside I wouldn't be bothered. But, they find their way in the house so I kill everything I see. And I'm not right off a preserve, either. Rovey Farms by the new Cardinals Stadium. I don't need to find out the hard way how much it hurts or that I'm allergic to them...
    I have to agree on scorpions. I guess I draw the line with a creatures ability to invade my house. Even though they can be dangerous Im not sure how I feel about killing snakes even if on my property. Definitley never out in the wild. Hell Im in their home. Now scorpions on the other hand do enter my home and with 3 small children pose a real threat. After getting about 4 in the house per year (which I know is low for some) its 4 too many and as a result my wife and I have embarked on operation Kill Scorp. We started actively hunting them with black lights and a propane torch has been the weapon of choice. You can get them even when hiding in the cracks of walls. We have killed over 20 this year so far and have not seen one in the house since. I hesitate to hang the Mission Accomplished flag just yet but things are going well so far.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    Do you also kill dogs that wonder onto your property? You have a better chance of being bitten or killed by one of them.

I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never been in a situation where it was necessary to kill or harm a snake. I come across 2-5 rattlers a week on the trails here in Tucson and have had them at my front door at numerous houses. Just leave them be for a minute and they go away.
    Feral dogs, I'd have no problem with shooting. God knows the muzzle of a gun has been the last thing many a feral cat, raccoon, opossum, and skunk has seen when I lived in Illinois.

Snakes, coons, feral dogs, and other assorted vermin has been on Earth a lot longer than man. They had as much opportunity and way more time to develop guns and thumbs than we did. It's not my fault they didn't. Zero tears are shed by me over the plight of snakes and wild dogs.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    We have killed over 20 this year so far and have not seen one in the house since. I hesitate to hang the Mission Accomplished flag just yet but things are going well so far.
    I've killed 20 to 30 just in the last 2-3 weeks when the rains really started. 5 or 6 inside.

Meatbomb
    If you have scorpions, get a cat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Will beer be served?

Have had 3 inside. 1 live, wife FREAKED! Didn't help that she was in the bathroom when she spotted it. Oh the screams...

Since then I've been laying down a chemical (Demand) outside once a month and inside every other month. Since then there have been 2 inside, 1 dead and 1 in it's death throes.

We are located all the way out Olive so I can see that I would be on the edge of the natural habitat for snakes, scorpions, and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agreed! Scoripions sightings=Scoripion death! I have killed about 70 in the last two months! Some so small you can barely see them with a black light! Got 2 of them with babies on their backs and got a pair doing the deed. I am mostly worried about my 3 sons getting stung, have found 2 inside in the last 2 weeks, this means war!!!!!

Check out this article about scoripion anitvenom just the other day! Thats alot of bike parts!!!

[URL="http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/20120906editorial0907-antivenom-bills-sting.html"]

I have been using some "Terro Scorpion Spray" from lowes. Comes in an orange and blue can, kills most of them with in 20 seconds! Some can hold their breath a little longer or something.

I live just north of you in surprise off waddell road. Surprise seems to have its fair share of scorpions!
    Last edited by Bajatoy; 09-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Registered Bike Offender
    Born and raised here, never had an issue with snakes. Seen hundreds of them. I come across them on the trail all the time. Sometimes I see them and do a little bunny hop, other times I accidentally run them over. Either way they don't even realize I'm there until I am down the road. So nothing to really worry about. Just be careful where you walk or sit in the wilderness as they don't always rattle to warn you. If you get bit, anti-venom is $20,000 per shot and may require several shots. Heard that on the radio this morning.

Rattle snakes hybernate and usually this time of the year they are getting ready for that, which means eating lots of food. So you will see them more often in the fall, and then in the spring when they are comming out of hybernation. They also lay in the trails or roads at night to warm up.

Oh and the black snake with the stripes is most likely a King Snake. They eat rattle snakes and are not venomous.

As far as scorpions and black windows.....kill their source of prey and evetually you will see their numbers decrease (but never go away). Scorpions are especially common if your house is new, or there is construction nearby. I found a 6" long long desert hairy in my front yard once. Had a scorpion climb onto a rack of parts at my powdercoating business and got powdercoated:
    "Grab life by the bars"

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have found 2 near death bark scorpions in my garage this year, a hairy outside under the garbage can, and another huge hairy crawled up from the base of a tree i was watering in my front yard last week. and my backyard fence borders BLM land / Tonto forest as far as the eye can see.

that's it for the year,, nothing in the house except for the occasional earwig who gets scooped up to meet his fate in the swirl of a flushing toilet... <3<3 SOS exterminating <3<3

Meatbomb
    I've been stung twice. The sting feels like electrocution but the aftermath was a mild pain for about 12 hours and moderate swelling. Which really surprised me since a bee sting can send me to the ER (got stung 14 times once and spent 3 days in the hospital). .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajatoy View Post

I live just north of you in surprise off waddell road. Surprise seems to have its fair share of scorpions!
    Mountainside or the one north of Waddell rd? Yeah, the kid thing is what worries me the most. My boys are 3 and 6. I heard about that gal in chandler last week and I can only imagine what it would do to a 40lb kid. Do you ride out on by the canal much? I'm still trying to figure out who's tire tracks I'm seeing out on the Maricopa trail.

How much further ???
    Mountainside or the one north of Waddell rd? Yeah, the kid thing is what worries me the most. My boys are 3 and 6. I heard about that gal in chandler last week and I can only imagine what it would do to a 40lb kid. Do you ride out on by the canal much? I'm still trying to figure out who's tire tracks I'm seeing out on the Maricopa trail.
    I have a 3 year old that picks up every bug he sees and twin 10 month old babies who are crawling everywhere and anything they find goes in their mouth. If we had anything close to the numbers big0mike is talking about my wife would of had us move or she would have taken the kids and left.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    That is cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I have a 3 year old that picks up every bug he sees and twin 10 month old babies who are crawling everywhere and anything they find goes in their mouth. If we had anything close to the numbers big0mike is talking about my wife would of had us move or she would have taken the kids and left.
    I hear ya' there! I'm kinda' glad that my son was past the mouth phase before we got here.

You're gonna' be a busy guy once those twins start walking!

shred my gnar
    Feral dogs, I'd have no problem with shooting. God knows the muzzle of a gun has been the last thing many a feral cat, raccoon, opossum, and skunk has seen when I lived in Illinois.

Snakes, coons, feral dogs, and other assorted vermin has been on Earth a lot longer than man. They had as much opportunity and way more time to develop guns and thumbs than we did. It's not my fault they didn't. Zero tears are shed by me over the plight of snakes and wild dogs.
    god, guns & coons all in one post. WHAT A COUNTRY!

mtbr member
    'Merica!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I tried that once with a diamondback to get it off the trail and all it did is get it really pissed off. It coiled, rattled and the satanic hissing still haunts me.
    I read up on them and it turns out they are very territorial... don't back down easily

just go around it, it can't strike you if you are at least snake-length way...
    BTW they have supersensitive infrared vision so they won't mistake the bike frame for your leg - they know exactly where their target is...thankfully, when you run them over-it's difficult for them to strike up from the supine position
    if you ride next to them when they coil up, you are likely to get bitten
    it's usually the 2nd or 3rd rider that gets it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post

How many dogs have you have bitten by rattlesnakes? Most snakes I have killed were cornered by the dogs and it was ether the dog or the snake. So the snake goes first. Very simple really. Who do you value more. Your wife, kids, dogs or a snake?
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If you have scorpions, get a cat.
    Cats suck and are not a fool proof scorpion solution. It's a crap shoot whether they want to play with it, kill it, or ignore it. Plus they suck. Chickens are a good solution but then you wind up wanting to eat your protector. And they're noisy and smell. Cats smell, too.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Typically, they can only strike HALF their length. The big ones tend to be 6ish feet so keep 4' away and you should be golden.

How much further ???
    I hear ya' there! I'm kinda' glad that my son was past the mouth phase before we got here.

You're gonna' be a busy guy once those twins start walking!
    Yeah. The boy can take about 6 steps on his own and both of them can shoot around with the walker. I feel bad for my wife being home with them all day. I think I'd go nuts. I'm planning on picking up a case of Stone IPA to help get me through the weekend.

mtbr member
    Ive lived in arizona for 20 years now Tucson and Phoenix.... All that time I have either hiked, biked, or hunted... Late august and early september is prime time to see rattlesnakes especially after a wet july/aug/sept. So, it doesn't surprise me you are seeing a lot now... I can recall going on a hike in Tucson in the mid 90's in late august and seeing 3 different diamondbacks on the same hike !!! sheesh... after the third one I turned around and went back home...

mtbr member
    Just ride past them really fast. Hopefully, they will only hit the bottom of your shoe or your reinforced mountain bike shoe heel and their fangs won't penetrate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I know, ANOTHER snake thread-marchepicride3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Just ride past them really fast. Hopefully, they will only hit the bottom of your shoe or your reinforced mountain bike shoe heel and their fangs won't penetrate.
    Starting to consider leg armor. As for my shoes, I clip in so I'm good there.

That's a big p.o.'d snake. What trail is that?

mtbr member
    Coming down the Quartz trail in Cave Creek Regional Park. The hissing and snapping took me completely by surprise, as I was riding pretty fast around that corner. I had to stop and look back up the trail.....sure enough, there was a snake peering right at me and perched up in attack mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I tried that once with a diamondback to get it off the trail and all it did is get it really pissed off. It coiled, rattled and the satanic hissing still haunts me.
    I read up on them and it turns out they are very territorial... don't back down easily

BTW they have supersensitive infrared vision so they won't mistake the bike frame for your leg - they know exactly where their target is...thankfully, when you run them over-it's difficult for them to strike up from the supine position
    if you ride next to them when they coil up, you are likely to get bitten
    it's usually the 2nd or 3rd rider that gets it
    I encounted small one going up windgate pass a few weeks ago. Despite going slow up the climb I was on him fast and he was coiled up. Lucky for me I was able to ride behind him and simply tryed to ride fast to get away just in case he came after me. This was only at about 4 mph since I was climbing too... Anyway if he is coiled up on the trail and it is not wide enough to ride around him you have three choices. 1) try to make him move by scaring him 2) wait him out 3) hike around.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I hear you, my kids are 5, 3 and 1, scares me thinking about them getting stung or picking one up to play with it! My wife thinks im nuts out looking for scorpions 3 or 4 times a week. LOL

yeah I ride out there a bit, usually on the east side of the canal, i go up waddell road to the canal and ride south to olive, then up to the park if I am feeling it. I havent ridden the canal in a while though, been to dang hot. Was thinking about starting up again though, i definately feel the lack of riding! I ride a 2012 black and white specialized enduro, maybe we will run in to each other!

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Golfers might be familiar with the term "Trees are 90% air". Still doesnt seem to matter as you always hit a limb when you try to blast your ball through one. Bikers are 90% bike, especially from the snake's perspective, so I don't think I would sweat it too much.

Of course this comes from a guy who got lucky and hasn't seen a single scorpion in 12 years of home ownership in chandler. We have a ton of black widows, though, and somehow in the same places every year. Not a big fan of them, but at least they pretty much just chill in their webs waiting for me to bust out a spray can and a lighter...

mtbr member
    Will beer be served?

Have had 3 inside. 1 live, wife FREAKED! Didn't help that she was in the bathroom when she spotted it. Oh the screams...

Since then I've been laying down a chemical (Demand) outside once a month and inside every other month. Since then there have been 2 inside, 1 dead and 1 in it's death throes.

We are located all the way out Olive so I can see that I would be on the edge of the natural habitat for snakes, scorpions, and whatnot.
    Yeah we are right across the street from one another and I can luckily say I've never had a scorpion. That's definitely a good thing since my wife would make us move, and I hate moving. I'm in the pulte community if you ever want to randomly arrange a ride. Also, not my tracks on the maricopa.

parenting for gnarness
    Starting to consider leg armor. As for my shoes, I clip in so I'm good there.

That's a big p.o.'d snake. What trail is that?
    leg armor for snakes? htfu or take up another sport,I dont recall a single post on here about a biker getting bit by a rattler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajatoy View Post
    I hear you, my kids are 5, 3 and 1, scares me thinking about them getting stung or picking one up to play with it! My wife thinks im nuts out looking for scorpions 3 or 4 times a week. LOL

yeah I ride out there a bit, usually on the east side of the canal, i go up waddell road to the canal and ride south to olive, then up to the park if I am feeling it. I havent ridden the canal in a while though, been to dang hot. Was thinking about starting up again though, i definately feel the lack of riding! I ride a 2012 black and white specialized enduro, maybe we will run in to each other!

Brian
    I'm going to have to learn where this canal is. Does this also get me out of paying the parking fee? Wow, I sound cheap.

mtbr member
    FYI: Photo Friday March 30, 2012 and my first snake encounter

From Pointer Dixie on that thread:

"Probably reasonable, but I did have an acquaintance who was bit while riding in FL. He was hauling too... fortunately he was almost back to the trail head... "

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    FYI: Photo Friday March 30, 2012 and my first snake encounter

From Pointer Dixie on that thread:

"Probably reasonable, but I did have an acquaintance who was bit while riding in FL. He was hauling too... fortunately he was almost back to the trail head... "
    i stand corrected. out of 1000s of posts here, there is 1 second-hand story about a guy 2000 miles away.
    Last edited by chollaball; 09-08-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Shovel Ready
    Just stand your ground.

Last edited by Cycle64; 09-08-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    snakes are more afraid of you then you are them. Leave them be and they will leve you alone as well as taking care of all the little critters you do not like in your house as wel but seem to enjoy huntingl. A snake can only strike as far as about %50 percent of its body length so a 5 ft snake is almost completely harmless from more then 3 foot away. Lets not act like we are bush wacking through the jungle and we can't make a simple b-line around it if its in the middle of the trail or that we need to keep 20 ft between us and it.. no need to hurt a wild animal that was there before you and has more of a right to be there as well to do nothing more then live its life.

Scorpions - really now people are acting like they can jump 3 ft and get you. Sure they will flip you out the first few times you see them but they are little more then walking wasps. I am not saying that I like them in my house but to start screaming and going hunting for them is just paranoid to me. As they said before kill the crickets and little bugs in the yard that they like and they will just move to your neighbors place.

black widows - they are easy enough to tell just by the web and easy enough to get rid of.

The black widow reminds me of a story. We had a big sucker on the side of our house one after noon. I was about to kill it when my room mate suggested we first see it eat/kill a bug. I had recently found a wasp nest in a small palm tree that I was going to take care of. I don't use the wasp sprays and then run like hell. Instead I use a little spay glue/adhesive. Just spray a light layer right on the nest with the wasps on them and you do not even have to run away. The glue will make then unable to fly when their wings stick to its body, and the wasps returning will also stick to the nest. So they all just fall off, and then proceed to stick to every little rock/stick that is on the ground. I took one of the wasps and picked it up with some plyers and threw it in the web as my room mate took some video. The spider came right out and started to bite it to kill it, was suprised how fast it moved really. We then watched it start to wrap it up in webbing all the while the wasp was slowing down. My roomie was really into it with the camera bout 2 ft away so I picked up a stick and lightly drug it up the back of his leg. I thought he was going to land on the roof of the house the way he jumped....
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Black and Sticky
    [QUOTE=ttocs;9669198]snakes are more afraid of you then you are them. Leave them be and they will leve you alone as well as taking care of all the little critters you do not like in your house as wel but seem to enjoy huntingl. A snake can only strike as far as about %50 percent of its body length so a 5 ft snake is almost completely harmless from more then 3 foot away. Lets not act like we are bush wacking through the jungle and we can't make a simple b-line around it if its in the middle of the trail or that we need to keep 20 ft between us and it.. no need to hurt a wild animal that was there before you and has more of a right to be there as well to do nothing more then live its life.

Exactly that.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got no problems with snakes, just leave them be. I have killed them before, but it was because I wanted to eat it and make a hat band out of the skin. Seriously, they are good eats! And the snakeskin makes for a cool accessory to any outfit

I am with everyone else on the Scorpions though. Last summer I killed 10 - 15 in the house, this summer I have only killed 2. And I live in Glendale in a neighborhood that is nearly 20 years old. I believe they enter the house in search of water. Most of the scorpions I've found were on one side of the house, and it is the same side of the house as the AC condensation drip pan/drain lines. Last year was much drier, and thus there were more inside the house in search of water.

I've got two kids under 3, and the biggest problem is they are very difficult to spot during the day. Too easy for one of the kids to step on one while barefoot. I think my daughter would would stay away if she saw one, but my son would definitely be interested in grabbing it. I'm not risking them getting stung, so I will kill every one I see. I haven't hunted them yet, but I do periodically inspect the kids bedrooms with a black light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, we live in Avondale and (knock wood) I haven't seen any around. We've got a couple dogs and a 5 year old and I would freak out if we had one in the house. I used to live in Cave Creek and got stung by a scorpion up there and killed a rattlesnake that was on my patio. Just cause it was looking at my dog.... But that scorpion sting was on the tip of my finger and it hurt like a mutha for a while.
    I ride and hike frequently at Estrella, FINS, and White Tanks. I've only seen a rattle snake at white tanks and it was way off the trail. Like 8 or 9 feet off the trail. Safe, I just picked up the dog and kept walking. And that was on Black Rock Trail. I've never seen one at the Competative Track or along Mule Deer.
    See all you West Valley folks out there! I'm the slow lady that you race past!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I'm going to have to learn where this canal is. Does this also get me out of paying the parking fee? Wow, I sound cheap.
    The canal is about .5 mile west of citrus road. It is about 1.5 miles or so east of the park entrance. It is the only canal with water in it you will drive over on olive. The canal road ties in to the end of jackrabbit road at thomas and goes all the way north to bell road. Lots of people us it for jogging and riding bikes. There is a trail that meets up with the the white tanks competitive loop, ties in right by the the second technical loop junction. Not sure I could find it these days, but if you enter park boundries you are supposed to pay the fee, just saying.... I have an anual pass though so Im not to worried about it.

The canal is just basically a dirt road to get some rididng time in if I cant get out to far. Most the time I just run up to tanks for a quick trail ride though.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like a passive approach is the best way to deal with the desert critters. Rode 30+ miles this weekend and didn't see any snakes. I must have been on a lucky streak?

Sya_unit- I didn't think there was anyone slower than me out there.

Brian- How was the ride yesterday morning? Where are you guys headed next weekend?

Thanks again everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast