Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I know, ANOTHER snake thread

I'm looking for some info, hoping to get some tips from the natives and snake experts(Cenobite, got your ears on?)

Background: I've only lived AZ for two years. I was born and raised in the Portland Oregon area. Anyone that has spent time up there knows that there is not much as far as venomous creatures.

For the first year and a half in AZ I had not seen a single scorpion, black widow, or rattlesnake.

This year alone I have seen a handful of black widows, a few bark scorpions and in the last 4 days I have seen 2 bark scorpions, 1 hairy desert scorpion, 4 rattlesnakes, and a 3' black snake with white stripes. I can deal with the bugs, however, the snakes have a better range of attack.

So what gives? Why in the last couple days have I seen so many? I ride along the Beardsley canal along the flats at the bottom of the white tanks. I've also noticed that they have all been near junctions where smaller canals junction with the main one. Do they come out for a drink? Should I not be riding along the canal? Would the jeep trails out in the flats be a better choice?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    their homes probably got washed out from the monsoons, and you were so kind to open yours...

mtbr member
    I'm not an expert but if you just give them some distance and enjoy the view they will eventually slither away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I heard Cenobite jumped the border to grab some tacos, hopefully he comes back across to help FGR when we start throwing dirt around!

mtbr member
    Good snakes are dead snakes.

I've only seen one, but I threw a bunch of rocks at it until it left. If I had access to a bigger one, I would have dropped it on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post

I've only seen one, but I threw a bunch of rocks at it until it left. If I had access to a bigger one, I would have dropped it on it.
    HAHA! yer funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post

I surely hope you're kidding.

mtbr member
    I have lived in the desert for 30 years and seen many rattlesnakes and killed many rattlesnakes. If there is a snake on my property.. Kill first ask questions later. If I am out on trail I just steer clear. Noise is the best way to have them avoid you. If you are on the bike and see one just ride away. If they are blocking the trail stop and at a nice distance throw rocks to get them to move off the trail. Then when you ride by do it fast and don't stop. Most snakes will not strike unless you back them into a corner. So don't back them into a corner.

Also unless you packing a gun with snakeshot don't bother trying to kills snake in the wild. Chances are you not have the tools to do it. The exception is if you have shovel or hoe on hand are in the middle of trail building. Chances are you will be in one spot for a while and really don't want him hanging out around you. Then again just the noise of working is probably enough to have them stay away from you.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have lived in the desert for 30 years and seen many rattlesnakes and killed many rattlesnakes. If there is a snake on my property.. Kill first ask questions later. If I am out on trail I just steer clear. Noise is the best way to have them avoid you. If you are on the bike and see one just ride away. If they are blocking the trail stop and at a nice distance throw rocks to get them to move off the trail. Then when you ride by do it fast and don't stop. Most snakes will not strike unless you back them into a corner. So don't back them into a corner.

Also unless you packing a gun with snakeshot don't bother trying to kills snake in the wild. Chances are you not have the tools to do it. The exception is if you have shovel or hoe on hand are in the middle of trail building. Chances are you will be in one spot for a while and really don't want him hanging out around you. Then again just the noise of working is probably enough to have them stay away from you.
    Do you also kill dogs that wonder onto your property? You have a better chance of being bitten or killed by one of them.

I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never been in a situation where it was necessary to kill or harm a snake. I come across 2-5 rattlers a week on the trails here in Tucson and have had them at my front door at numerous houses. Just leave them be for a minute and they go away.

Meatbomb
    It's nature.. let it be.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by recovery View Post
    For the first year and a half in AZ I had not seen a single scorpion, black widow, or rattlesnake. This year alone I have seen a handful of black widows, a few bark scorpions and in the last 4 days I have seen 2 bark scorpions, 1 hairy desert scorpion, 4 rattlesnakes, and a 3' black snake with white stripes.
    Dude, come on over to my place. I hunt bark scorpions every couple nights and lately have yet to kill less than 5 of them every hunt. If they were just outside I wouldn't be bothered. But, they find their way in the house so I kill everything I see. And I'm not right off a preserve, either. Rovey Farms by the new Cardinals Stadium. I don't need to find out the hard way how much it hurts or that I'm allergic to them...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the input! I was a bit concerned last night. The last rattlesnake I came across was laying in a straight line across the middle of the road. I was lucky to spot him with enough time to stop.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Dude, come on over to my place. I hunt bark scorpions every couple nights and lately have yet to kill less than 5 of them every hunt. If they were just outside I wouldn't be bothered. But, they find their way in the house so I kill everything I see. And I'm not right off a preserve, either. Rovey Farms by the new Cardinals Stadium. I don't need to find out the hard way how much it hurts or that I'm allergic to them...
    I have to agree on scorpions. I guess I draw the line with a creatures ability to invade my house. Even though they can be dangerous Im not sure how I feel about killing snakes even if on my property. Definitley never out in the wild. Hell Im in their home. Now scorpions on the other hand do enter my home and with 3 small children pose a real threat. After getting about 4 in the house per year (which I know is low for some) its 4 too many and as a result my wife and I have embarked on operation Kill Scorp. We started actively hunting them with black lights and a propane torch has been the weapon of choice. You can get them even when hiding in the cracks of walls. We have killed over 20 this year so far and have not seen one in the house since. I hesitate to hang the Mission Accomplished flag just yet but things are going well so far.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    Do you also kill dogs that wonder onto your property? You have a better chance of being bitten or killed by one of them.

I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never been in a situation where it was necessary to kill or harm a snake. I come across 2-5 rattlers a week on the trails here in Tucson and have had them at my front door at numerous houses. Just leave them be for a minute and they go away.
    Feral dogs, I'd have no problem with shooting. God knows the muzzle of a gun has been the last thing many a feral cat, raccoon, opossum, and skunk has seen when I lived in Illinois.

Snakes, coons, feral dogs, and other assorted vermin has been on Earth a lot longer than man. They had as much opportunity and way more time to develop guns and thumbs than we did. It's not my fault they didn't. Zero tears are shed by me over the plight of snakes and wild dogs.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    We have killed over 20 this year so far and have not seen one in the house since. I hesitate to hang the Mission Accomplished flag just yet but things are going well so far.
    I've killed 20 to 30 just in the last 2-3 weeks when the rains really started. 5 or 6 inside.

Meatbomb
    If you have scorpions, get a cat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Will beer be served?

Have had 3 inside. 1 live, wife FREAKED! Didn't help that she was in the bathroom when she spotted it. Oh the screams...

Since then I've been laying down a chemical (Demand) outside once a month and inside every other month. Since then there have been 2 inside, 1 dead and 1 in it's death throes.

We are located all the way out Olive so I can see that I would be on the edge of the natural habitat for snakes, scorpions, and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agreed! Scoripions sightings=Scoripion death! I have killed about 70 in the last two months! Some so small you can barely see them with a black light! Got 2 of them with babies on their backs and got a pair doing the deed. I am mostly worried about my 3 sons getting stung, have found 2 inside in the last 2 weeks, this means war!!!!!

Check out this article about scoripion anitvenom just the other day! Thats alot of bike parts!!!

[URL="http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/20120906editorial0907-antivenom-bills-sting.html"]

I have been using some "Terro Scorpion Spray" from lowes. Comes in an orange and blue can, kills most of them with in 20 seconds! Some can hold their breath a little longer or something.

I live just north of you in surprise off waddell road. Surprise seems to have its fair share of scorpions!
    Last edited by Bajatoy; 09-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Registered Bike Offender
    Born and raised here, never had an issue with snakes. Seen hundreds of them. I come across them on the trail all the time. Sometimes I see them and do a little bunny hop, other times I accidentally run them over. Either way they don't even realize I'm there until I am down the road. So nothing to really worry about. Just be careful where you walk or sit in the wilderness as they don't always rattle to warn you. If you get bit, anti-venom is $20,000 per shot and may require several shots. Heard that on the radio this morning.

Rattle snakes hybernate and usually this time of the year they are getting ready for that, which means eating lots of food. So you will see them more often in the fall, and then in the spring when they are comming out of hybernation. They also lay in the trails or roads at night to warm up.

Oh and the black snake with the stripes is most likely a King Snake. They eat rattle snakes and are not venomous.

As far as scorpions and black windows.....kill their source of prey and evetually you will see their numbers decrease (but never go away). Scorpions are especially common if your house is new, or there is construction nearby. I found a 6" long long desert hairy in my front yard once. Had a scorpion climb onto a rack of parts at my powdercoating business and got powdercoated:
    "Grab life by the bars"

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have found 2 near death bark scorpions in my garage this year, a hairy outside under the garbage can, and another huge hairy crawled up from the base of a tree i was watering in my front yard last week. and my backyard fence borders BLM land / Tonto forest as far as the eye can see.

that's it for the year,, nothing in the house except for the occasional earwig who gets scooped up to meet his fate in the swirl of a flushing toilet... <3<3 SOS exterminating <3<3

Meatbomb
    I've been stung twice. The sting feels like electrocution but the aftermath was a mild pain for about 12 hours and moderate swelling. Which really surprised me since a bee sting can send me to the ER (got stung 14 times once and spent 3 days in the hospital). .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajatoy View Post

I live just north of you in surprise off waddell road. Surprise seems to have its fair share of scorpions!
    Mountainside or the one north of Waddell rd? Yeah, the kid thing is what worries me the most. My boys are 3 and 6. I heard about that gal in chandler last week and I can only imagine what it would do to a 40lb kid. Do you ride out on by the canal much? I'm still trying to figure out who's tire tracks I'm seeing out on the Maricopa trail.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by recovery View Post
    Mountainside or the one north of Waddell rd? Yeah, the kid thing is what worries me the most. My boys are 3 and 6. I heard about that gal in chandler last week and I can only imagine what it would do to a 40lb kid. Do you ride out on by the canal much? I'm still trying to figure out who's tire tracks I'm seeing out on the Maricopa trail.
    I have a 3 year old that picks up every bug he sees and twin 10 month old babies who are crawling everywhere and anything they find goes in their mouth. If we had anything close to the numbers big0mike is talking about my wife would of had us move or she would have taken the kids and left.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    That is cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I have a 3 year old that picks up every bug he sees and twin 10 month old babies who are crawling everywhere and anything they find goes in their mouth. If we had anything close to the numbers big0mike is talking about my wife would of had us move or she would have taken the kids and left.
    I hear ya' there! I'm kinda' glad that my son was past the mouth phase before we got here.

You're gonna' be a busy guy once those twins start walking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast