Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Meatbomb

I keep destroying rear hub bearings.

After my ride this morning I heard the distinct sound of another free hub bearing gone bad (sounds like sand in the hub and grinding). This is the 2nd time in about 3 months so I'm thinking there may be a defect or some damage to the hub its self.

Any suggestions on what to look for ? Or should i just replace the hub all together?
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    What hub?

Meatbomb
    It's got the stock Specialized Hi Lo hubs. Bike is a Stumpy with Roval 29 rims.

Maybe they are just not beefy enough for a 220# rider ?

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    What hub?
    ^^^ and also, which bearings exactly...the wheel bearings, or the bearings in the freehub?
    Cartridge bearings right?
    You're not washing the bike down with a hose are you? (hopefully not!)
    Same bearing go bad the prior 2 times? (drive side, non-drive side, etc)
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Give it a crank
    Sounds like it's time for a different hub.

Some info here: Specialized Hi Lo 142+ hub

You are correct...not beefy enough....for most riders. That hub is pretty intro level and requires a lot of service to keep it running the way it needs too....lots of complaints on those things.

Meatbomb
    Crap... thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to upgrade too? And what I should expect it to cost?

It was the freehub bearing the last 2 times so I assume the same this time. Yes I use simple green and a low flow from my hose to clean the drive train. Always thought that was the approved method. If not, how do you clean it?

do you like to work on your bike a lot, or do you want to set it and forget it?

Meatbomb
    Set it an forget it when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Crap... thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to upgrade too? And what I should expect it to cost?

It was the freehub bearing the last 2 times so I assume the same this time. Yes I use simple green and a low flow from my hose to clean the drive train. Always thought that was the approved method. If not, how do you clean it?
    A couple different shops told me different on cleaning. Zero water unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm at 230# plus gear and still on my stock stuff on my GT.
    I clean with a brush sprayed with simple green and wiped down with a rag. I then relube.
    I clean probably 1 to 2 times a month depends on where I ride and what type of riding.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Ahhh the pain....
    I clean mine with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush after each ride. HOWEVER, when I rinse, I put the hose on less than the amount I can pee...and I never point it at the bearing seals. Even with this, I have BB issues so I cover up the NDS BB bearing cup so it stays dry.
    Oh, and I've been using Hope Pro II's. I've got well over 5k miles on them and never serviced them...but then again, I'm like 175# geared up.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    A couple different shops told me different on cleaning. Zero water unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm at 230# plus gear and still on my stock stuff on my GT.
    I clean with a brush sprayed with simple green and wiped down with a rag. I then relube.
    I clean probably 1 to 2 times a month depends on where I ride and what type of riding.
    DONT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!! It will remove anodization on your bike.....

I am Walt
    I have the same or similar wheels on my 2012 SJ Comp...hubs have been fine thus far, though I trashed a rim. I ride them hard, and will upgrade them when they break. Depending on how old your bike is, I'd take it back to the shop you got it from, and see what they say...Specialized is great at standing behind and warranteeing their stuff.

I have Hope Pro 2's on my SS, and beat the hell out of them, with nary an issue.

I seldom clean any part of my bikes, other than the drivetrain and fork stanchions, and when I do, I power hose it, because it's usually muddy, at that point. No issues so far...

EDIT: I'm 190, plus gear...
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    I'm going to the shop today to see what they can come up with around a warranty. It's a 2012 Stumpy 29er... Can't remember the date I bought it but they will have it on file.

I'm sure you are a lot harder on equipment than I am so not sure why I'm having so many issues.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    DONT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!! It will remove anodization on your bike.....
    Should explain.
    Chain and sprockets only and never sprayed directly on them. (rag or brush)
    I stay away from bearings and seals.
    The rest of the bike damp rag and then Pledge on a rag.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

I am Walt
    I'm going to the shop today to see what they can come up with around a warranty. It's a 2012 Stumpy 29er... Can't remember the date I bought it but they will have it on file.

I'm sure you are a lot harder on equipment than I am so not sure why I'm having so many issues.
    That was my thinking, re the equipment.

They should replace the hub for you, which in this case, probably means getting you a new stock wheel (because they're likely not going to swap out the hub and rebuild the wheel). I'd be surprised if they don't.
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    Just talked to the shop and that is exactly what they are doing. New rear wheel on order. He said it should have been replaced after the second free hub housing was swapped in.

I am Walt
    Just talked to the shop and that is exactly what they are doing. New rear wheel on order. He said it should have been replaced after the second free hub housing was swapped in.
    Nice...that DNA North Scottsdale?
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    Nope.. Landis Scottsdale.

I was not happy with the service / vibe I got from DNA after my last purchase from them so I tried a new shop for this bike. So far Landis has been top notch.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Low pressure water is fine, simple green is fine as long as you aren't giving it a long time to set in or dropping your chain in it overnight. Regular dish soap is usually one of the best things to use though, simple, removes wax, etc. Auto soap is fine too, not quite as good though.

If you want a super strong freehub, check out DT swiss hubs. Not a crazy amount of engagement points, but I was never too concerned about that. The freehub is super strong, AND very cheap and simple if you ever have to replace it. It can be done without tools. The downside is that they use cartridge bearings, which aren't the best type of bearing out there, but they can be made to high standards and their better models have better bearings. The plus with these types of bearings is that they can be switched out fairly easily (sometimes requires a press of some sort though).

Higher end shimano hubs use high quality cup and cone bearings, from a functionality perspective, these are better than most with low drag, good bearing support and the ability to be repacked and stuff replaced if ever worn. The downside is the special tools and dependency on correct adjustment. 99 times out of 100, this isn't an issue, but every once and a while it is. The freehub mechanism is nothing special, but usually not too expensive, unless you are talking XTR and such.

CK hubs are kind of the best of both worlds, angular contact wheel bearings, pretty much the best functionally (but marginal difference compared to properly adjusted cup and cone) and one of, if not the best freehub mechanism.

Many people never have a problem with shimano hubs, but correct adjustment is usually critical. I've never met a freehub I couldn't strip out, but I've found some are a lot better than others, not to mention it's so easy to replace the DT stuff if that ever even happens.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Kathleen in AZ
    We're supposed to wash our bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durtgurl View Post
    we're supposed to wash our bikes?
    +1!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    We're supposed to wash our bikes?
    damnit,, there i was scrolling down in preparation for posting another one-liner,, only to discover i'd been beaten to the punch...

even in chicago,, you'd just wait for the caked-on crud to dry,, then just break it off or buff it off with a towel.

mtbr member
    The best hub out there when considering maintenance ,strength/durability, looks , and value is Hadley racing hubs
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Meatbomb
    I'm going to see how long the new wheel last and if I destroy another one I'll look to upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast