Meatbomb

I keep destroying rear hub bearings.

After my ride this morning I heard the distinct sound of another free hub bearing gone bad (sounds like sand in the hub and grinding). This is the 2nd time in about 3 months so I'm thinking there may be a defect or some damage to the hub its self.

Any suggestions on what to look for ? Or should i just replace the hub all together?
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    What hub?

Meatbomb
    It's got the stock Specialized Hi Lo hubs. Bike is a Stumpy with Roval 29 rims.

Maybe they are just not beefy enough for a 220# rider ?

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    What hub?
    ^^^ and also, which bearings exactly...the wheel bearings, or the bearings in the freehub?
    Cartridge bearings right?
    You're not washing the bike down with a hose are you? (hopefully not!)
    Same bearing go bad the prior 2 times? (drive side, non-drive side, etc)
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Give it a crank
    Sounds like it's time for a different hub.

Some info here: Specialized Hi Lo 142+ hub

You are correct...not beefy enough....for most riders. That hub is pretty intro level and requires a lot of service to keep it running the way it needs too....lots of complaints on those things.

Meatbomb
    Crap... thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to upgrade too? And what I should expect it to cost?

It was the freehub bearing the last 2 times so I assume the same this time. Yes I use simple green and a low flow from my hose to clean the drive train. Always thought that was the approved method. If not, how do you clean it?

do you like to work on your bike a lot, or do you want to set it and forget it?

Meatbomb
    Set it an forget it when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Crap... thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to upgrade too? And what I should expect it to cost?

It was the freehub bearing the last 2 times so I assume the same this time. Yes I use simple green and a low flow from my hose to clean the drive train. Always thought that was the approved method. If not, how do you clean it?
    A couple different shops told me different on cleaning. Zero water unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm at 230# plus gear and still on my stock stuff on my GT.
    I clean with a brush sprayed with simple green and wiped down with a rag. I then relube.
    I clean probably 1 to 2 times a month depends on where I ride and what type of riding.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

Ahhh the pain....
    I clean mine with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush after each ride. HOWEVER, when I rinse, I put the hose on less than the amount I can pee...and I never point it at the bearing seals. Even with this, I have BB issues so I cover up the NDS BB bearing cup so it stays dry.
    Oh, and I've been using Hope Pro II's. I've got well over 5k miles on them and never serviced them...but then again, I'm like 175# geared up.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    A couple different shops told me different on cleaning. Zero water unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm at 230# plus gear and still on my stock stuff on my GT.
    I clean with a brush sprayed with simple green and wiped down with a rag. I then relube.
    I clean probably 1 to 2 times a month depends on where I ride and what type of riding.
    DONT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!! It will remove anodization on your bike.....

I am Walt
    I have the same or similar wheels on my 2012 SJ Comp...hubs have been fine thus far, though I trashed a rim. I ride them hard, and will upgrade them when they break. Depending on how old your bike is, I'd take it back to the shop you got it from, and see what they say...Specialized is great at standing behind and warranteeing their stuff.

I have Hope Pro 2's on my SS, and beat the hell out of them, with nary an issue.

I seldom clean any part of my bikes, other than the drivetrain and fork stanchions, and when I do, I power hose it, because it's usually muddy, at that point. No issues so far...

EDIT: I'm 190, plus gear...
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    I'm going to the shop today to see what they can come up with around a warranty. It's a 2012 Stumpy 29er... Can't remember the date I bought it but they will have it on file.

I'm sure you are a lot harder on equipment than I am so not sure why I'm having so many issues.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    DONT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!! It will remove anodization on your bike.....
    Should explain.
    Chain and sprockets only and never sprayed directly on them. (rag or brush)
    I stay away from bearings and seals.
    The rest of the bike damp rag and then Pledge on a rag.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

I am Walt
    I'm going to the shop today to see what they can come up with around a warranty. It's a 2012 Stumpy 29er... Can't remember the date I bought it but they will have it on file.

I'm sure you are a lot harder on equipment than I am so not sure why I'm having so many issues.
    That was my thinking, re the equipment.

They should replace the hub for you, which in this case, probably means getting you a new stock wheel (because they're likely not going to swap out the hub and rebuild the wheel). I'd be surprised if they don't.
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    Just talked to the shop and that is exactly what they are doing. New rear wheel on order. He said it should have been replaced after the second free hub housing was swapped in.

I am Walt
    Just talked to the shop and that is exactly what they are doing. New rear wheel on order. He said it should have been replaced after the second free hub housing was swapped in.
    Nice...that DNA North Scottsdale?
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    Nope.. Landis Scottsdale.

I was not happy with the service / vibe I got from DNA after my last purchase from them so I tried a new shop for this bike. So far Landis has been top notch.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Low pressure water is fine, simple green is fine as long as you aren't giving it a long time to set in or dropping your chain in it overnight. Regular dish soap is usually one of the best things to use though, simple, removes wax, etc. Auto soap is fine too, not quite as good though.

If you want a super strong freehub, check out DT swiss hubs. Not a crazy amount of engagement points, but I was never too concerned about that. The freehub is super strong, AND very cheap and simple if you ever have to replace it. It can be done without tools. The downside is that they use cartridge bearings, which aren't the best type of bearing out there, but they can be made to high standards and their better models have better bearings. The plus with these types of bearings is that they can be switched out fairly easily (sometimes requires a press of some sort though).

Higher end shimano hubs use high quality cup and cone bearings, from a functionality perspective, these are better than most with low drag, good bearing support and the ability to be repacked and stuff replaced if ever worn. The downside is the special tools and dependency on correct adjustment. 99 times out of 100, this isn't an issue, but every once and a while it is. The freehub mechanism is nothing special, but usually not too expensive, unless you are talking XTR and such.

CK hubs are kind of the best of both worlds, angular contact wheel bearings, pretty much the best functionally (but marginal difference compared to properly adjusted cup and cone) and one of, if not the best freehub mechanism.

Many people never have a problem with shimano hubs, but correct adjustment is usually critical. I've never met a freehub I couldn't strip out, but I've found some are a lot better than others, not to mention it's so easy to replace the DT stuff if that ever even happens.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Kathleen in AZ
    We're supposed to wash our bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durtgurl View Post
    we're supposed to wash our bikes?
    +1!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    damnit,, there i was scrolling down in preparation for posting another one-liner,, only to discover i'd been beaten to the punch...

even in chicago,, you'd just wait for the caked-on crud to dry,, then just break it off or buff it off with a towel.

mtbr member
    The best hub out there when considering maintenance ,strength/durability, looks , and value is Hadley racing hubs
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Meatbomb
    I'm going to see how long the new wheel last and if I destroy another one I'll look to upgrade.

Control Freak
    I will make a suggestion...Im 240+ with gear..

Stans Flows 36 hole..white industries hubs...14 gauge spokes...Dare I say bomb proof?? Although that was what was told to me...I will tell you after my first ride on the 29er...

Tim

mtbr member
    I am a bit on the heavier side and swear by DT Swiss hubs. From my days at a bike shop I seldomly ever saw issues. But, if something were to happen, their customer service was top knotch. I think the onyx hubs are the best bang for the buck. Just never buy anything with ceramic bearings. Absolute waste of money.

Meatbomb
    Just got it back .. They replaced the hub with a Shimano XT.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    The best hub out there when considering maintenance ,strength/durability, looks , and value is Hadley racing hubs
    Yes, Hadleys are the most durable hubs around, and cheap to maintain as well.

For a cheaper and very fine solution, Hope Pro II, which are also easy and cheap to maintain.

Magura

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    mine only gets washed when it rains and I ride.
    Phillbo, MTB wheels will last longer off the trainer and on real dirt. Ha!
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Nice...that DNA North Scottsdale?
    The guys at DNA were toolbags to me and they are probably the snobbiest bike shop that I've been to in the PHX area.

I'd pick Landis (any of their shops) because they took care of me when DNA were just a bunch of wankers.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I am a bit on the heavier side and swear by DT Swiss hubs. From my days at a bike shop I seldomly ever saw issues. But, if something were to happen, their customer service was top knotch. I think the onyx hubs are the best bang for the buck. Just never buy anything with ceramic bearings. Absolute waste of money.
    I believe the Onyx hubs have a standard shimano-ish pawl and ratchet type hub, not anywhere near the strength of the star-ratchet like on their higher end hubs (340 and higher).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Control Freak
    Xt hubs??? I blew one of them out in 2 weeks...Im not a big fan of their hubs at all...

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg View Post
    Xt hubs??? I blew one of them out in 2 weeks...Im not a big fan of their hubs at all...

Well I plan to log a lot of miles on the trainer over the next couple weeks so we'll see. I'm still under warranty until March so if I blow this one too, It will be a free replace again.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by antimike View Post
    The guys at DNA were toolbags to me and they are probably the snobbiest bike shop that I've been to in the PHX area.

I'd pick Landis (any of their shops) because they took care of me when DNA were just a bunch of wankers.

I would not say they were tool bags to me but I did not feel like I was a part of their click when i went in for repairs. Too bad for them, they lost out on a new bike sale because of the 'tood.

mtbr member
    My Tallboy LT came with an XT hub in the rear. It died an early and catastrophic death, as another member will attest. Sunday Cycles was really cool about taking care of it, as usual. The replacement has been holding up fine.

Meatbomb
    what did they replace it with ?

mtbr member
    what did they replace it with ?
    I think the same thing. They pulled it off a Salsa Spearfish they had on the floor and installed it on the spot. That was a couple weeks ago and that poor Spearfish still didn't have a cassette back on it.

Anyway, I thought that was a cool move.

Meatbomb
    About half way through my ride this morning my front bearings decided to take a crap .

Thought I had a brake caliper stuck causing it to drag but when i pulled the wheel I could feel the bearings were bad.

Time to upgrade I'm thinking.

I am Walt
    About half way through my ride this morning my front bearings decided to take a crap .

Thought I had a brake caliper stuck causing it to drag but when i pulled the wheel I could feel the bearings were bad.

How the hell did your front hub fail?
    Ride more; post less...

Control Freak
    Ok, my update....stand flows white industry hubs..let my buddy ride the 29er and he weighs 280 without gear...after a over the bars episode into a cactus ( he was ok) and after 10 miles...took the wheels the the guy who built them for me...true and perfect....I will stand by these hubs and hoops for ever...

The guy who built them actually talked in person to the White Industry owner...he said no weight limit for the hubs at all...FWIW...I will continue to buy these hubs as I upgrade other bikes I have.

Tim

Team Velveeta™
    I weigh between 185-195 depending on fitness and time of year, my bike is 30+ lbs and I usually ride with a pack, sometimes a stupid-heavy pack. I have never had a problem with an XT hub in about 20 years of riding them on and off. But I do know lots of people have...

My most recent rear wheel was built on a Shimano M529 rear hub, 529 w/ 629 high torque freewheel. It's got 11.5° engagement (32 POE). I think that what's been problematic about the old style XT hubs is that they have fewer points of engagement, which means it takes more of a rotation to engage. During that windup the force slams into the pawls and things go super-critical.

The 629 Freehub (the 29 refers to 29" wheels) is supposedly high-torque, suitable for a 36T rear sprocket and the torque generated. You may be able to replace the standard XT Freehub with lower POE with this new one to make it tougher.

I have had no trouble with my m529 wheel, but again, I had no trouble with XT hubs even going back into the 90s. And I've only had this wheel since April. And it doesn't see as much mileage as another wheel in my arsenal.

All that said, a DT 240 that's my primary rear hub has been rolling under me since 2007 and has seen some VERY heavy usage. It is one of the most durable, reliable, bomber peices of equipment I've ever had. And it's stupid lightweight to boot.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

In the rear with the beer
    Damn dude, you just have bad luck with hubs! I'm probably jinxing myself, but my weight has floated between 200 and 240 over the past 7 years and I have yet to have any hub issues. Not that typed that though, I'm probably screwed......
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Meatbomb
    Yeah.. bad luck for sure .. I've never had hub issues on any the bikes I've owned either.

Not sure whats causing it. When I pulled the wheel off I could feel the drag and roughness in the bearings when I spun the hub by hand. Put it back on and gave both the wheels an equal spin and the rear spun for quite a while but the front only did about 4 revolutions before coming to a stop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ok, my update....stand flows white industry hubs..let my buddy ride the 29er and he weighs 280 without gear...after a over the bars episode into a cactus ( he was ok) and after 10 miles...took the wheels the the guy who built them for me...true and perfect....I will stand by these hubs and hoops for ever...

The guy who built them actually talked in person to the White Industry owner...he said no weight limit for the hubs at all...FWIW...I will continue to buy these hubs as I upgrade other bikes I have.

Tim
    I've just built up a rigid single speed with the same configuration (Flow plus MI6 disc hubs). Only 10 miles on em so far. I'm 210 with gear so I'm glad to hear they can take a beating.

mtbr member

Thanks, I was starting to get all nervous and self conscious about this

Elitest thrill junkie

Something is seriously wrong here. The shimano XT bearings are big and can take forces in many different directions, rather than the cartridge bearing type that can only take rotational forces and crap out easily. The only "problem" per see with the XTs and most shimano bearings is that the have to be adjusted correctly. Usually any bike shop worth anything can do this, but there are probably a few out there without experienced mechanics that I would trust to do this. These are some of the most reliable and robust hubs out there. Many cartridge bearing systems are inferior, as they are just bulk off-the-shelf bearings bought from a big supplier without much additional thought into the design and application. The "bearing" constitutes a lot more than just the balls, and they should always be visually inspected for pitting when being replaced, but if those pitts are showing up without years of use and abuse, it was probably due to improper servicing. Sometimes new bikes come like this and the shop is supposed to "make it right" as part of their inspection and adjustment process.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post

Thanks, I was starting to get all nervous and self conscious about this
    When I wash my bike it ends up with more problems to fix than when it stays dirty. Things like squeaky brakes, dirt in cables, greasy disc rotors, and what I hate the most: a wet saddle.

I may not always wash my bike, but when I do, I f-ing regret it. Stay dirty, my bikes.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Something is seriously wrong here. The shimano XT bearings are big and can take forces in many different directions, rather than the cartridge bearing type that can only take rotational forces and crap out easily. The only "problem" per see with the XTs and most shimano bearings is that the have to be adjusted correctly. Usually any bike shop worth anything can do this, but there are probably a few out there without experienced mechanics that I would trust to do this. These are some of the most reliable and robust hubs out there. Many cartridge bearing systems are inferior, as they are just bulk off-the-shelf bearings bought from a big supplier without much additional thought into the design and application. The "bearing" constitutes a lot more than just the balls, and they should always be visually inspected for pitting when being replaced, but if those pitts are showing up without years of use and abuse, it was probably due to improper servicing. Sometimes new bikes come like this and the shop is supposed to "make it right" as part of their inspection and adjustment process.

Braddauh..the XT was a rear hub replacement.... today my front hub took a sh!t. but thanks for the beta!