aw fiddlestix

I just moved to Phoenix andam gonna try and ride National tomorrow morning

Got the bike back in working order today. National seems to be the trail to hit, and I'm not gonna get to ride much with my job, so I wanna take advantage of my off day tomorrow. Anyone want to show an out of shape kid around? Figure I'll be nice and slow going up and medium speed going down. (I already know to bring a metric ****-ton of water and extra tubes).
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    National isn't for out of shape riders--it's for riders in tip top physical shape, and even most of them will be walking sections on the way up. On the way down, you can break as many bones as you dare. Good luck. Be careful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bring pads

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Stay on Desert Classic.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwmtnbiker View Post
    Stay on Desert Classic.
    Bah! DC is the single worst example of trail riding know to Phoenicians. Great if your in "racer mode" or have your Strava going, or your heartbeat monitor in full force...or you just don't know any better.

Just go hit Natty. Take your time, walk where needed....have fun! If you want to hit nice desert XC trails without all the tech then head to Hawes if in the east valley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Bah! DC is the single worst example of trail riding know to Phoenicians. Great if your in "racer mode" or have your Strava going, or your heartbeat monitor in full force...or you just don't know any better.

Just go hit Natty. Take your time, walk where needed....have fun! If you want to hit nice desert XC trails without all the tech then head to Hawes if in the east valley.
    Wrong. I think that honor goes to Pemberton

mtbr member
    Screw it! Go big!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Out of shape, new to the trail...riding National is not to bright right out of the gate.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Natty is easy enough to climb especially since I'm sure you are in better shape than you are letting on and will fly up it in full lycra without breaking a sweat. On the rare chance I'm wrong you can always look Javalina and some of the West loops which give you a taste of tech without the grueling climb or introduction to some of the conceivably challenging tech on the downhill...
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    If you're going up it, you most certainly can go down National. It's not that big a deal. You can "make it" a big deal if you're bombing down, but there is nothing scary that you cant slow down for.
    a real Dirkbag!

aw fiddlestix
    If you want to hit nice desert XC trails without all the tech then head to Hawes if in the east valley.
    **** that! I love tech! And rocks! Just watched another video of it on youtube and am soooo stoked right now. Shoved a granny ring back on the bike so I can climb the steep stuff and can't wait for tomorrow!
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I am Bob

+1
    go out there and have fun. If you feel over your head walk those sections. Go out there with tubes, tools, water, sunscreen, food, etc and have a good time. turn around when it's not a good time.

aw fiddlestix
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Natty is easy enough to climb especially since I'm sure you are in better shape than you are letting on and will fly up it in full lycra without breaking a sweat. On the rare chance I'm wrong you can always look Javalina and some of the West loops which give you a taste of tech without the grueling climb or introduction to some of the conceivably challenging tech on the downhill...
    OK by out of shape I mean I haven't ridden in a few weeks and haven't gotten to exercise that much recently, so I wont be racer fast or anything. I'm not too worried about say not making it up the hill, even if I walk a section or two.

I know my limits on the way down, and I've gotten more than enough practice with tech between Windrock, Pisgah, and this one trail in Nashville called Hamilton Creek.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    OK...getting the the chopper fueled up.... Will be watching the 11 o'clock News for developments....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    national was the first trail I rolled into when I came to town. I don't think I made it to the two mile mark before I was humbled enough to turn around realizing I was not ready. Morman trail is a great warm up for national with out so much of the tech, if not the east loop just to get a taste of what is in store.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Shovel Ready
    Climb Mormon and descend National. I'm a fat guy with average skills. That's the route I take and it's a blast.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

EDR
    OP, you'll love Natty. Like someone else said there is nothing that can't be ridden on the main trail by most advanced technical riders, and most of it can be rolled by intermediate advanced riders. If there is stuff you walk this time around then that's motivation to go back.

Out of shape, new to the trail...riding National is not to bright right out of the gate
    rjwmtnbiker: I hear what your say'n but this kid I'm sure is in good enough shape and being from the east coast I'm sure has some experience with technical riding.

When I started riding I hit Hawes once or twice, then we found Mormon. Rode/walked that up to Natty and came down Natty. I walked A LOT but I was hooked from that point on. ...and I was in terrible shape with zero technical skills, still had a blast and no one got hurt.

mtbr member
    Up Mormon, down national. Doing this the First time would be wise.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

aw fiddlestix

that was awesome!

Did the suggested route of mormon loop up, went up to the buena vista lot, and came back down. So much fun. Yes I did a lot of walking on the way up, but not counting the "ups" coming down lower national the only place I had to walk was waterfall. I'm gonna get it though! Didn't ride balls out or anything, (and of course had to back up and re-try a couple places), but that was so awesome! My technical climbing is gonna get soooo much better out here.

Basically I felt like this:
    Surfer Interview - YouTube

Which would explain how it wasn't until in the car about 5 minutes from home that I noticed the heat exhaustion...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Up Mormon, down national. Doing this the First time would be wise.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!