Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

I just don't get Strava.

First let me say that I'm not a regular Strava user. I'm too lazy to bother recording and downloading rides and I generally don't give a damn about what other people are doing or how fast they are, nor am I interested in sharing my mediocre riding with the world.

I first used Strava a couple of years ago because it was suggested for an AES race. I never logged on again after I posted my race data. Since then I've heard so many people talk about how awesome it is I figured maybe I should give it a second look. I decided to try to use it a second time since I had a GPS on for the whole AES McDowell 70 race last weekend.

The first thing I discovered was that I had forgotten my username and password. A few more links, screens and emails and I had that figured out then I discovered that Strava doesn't support my Garmin device (60csx). That would normally end my interest in it but I figured so many people think it is so awesome I ought to try a little harder. After several additional software downloads and updates I was finally able to upload my track indirectly then saw that Strava made it twice as long as it really was. I couldn't figure out how that happened because all the other data was correct. I never even followed through with posting it because I was already bored but then I couldn't figure out how to delete it so I just logged out. So, today I get an email saying my track, or whatever they call it, has been flagged as being suspect. I never even finished posting it so who knows how that happened. I went ahead and followed the links they provided to see what was up but the website is so unintuitive it took me 5 minutes just to figure out how to delete it. There was no info as to why it had been flagged or who flagged it. I also noticed that my AES race from a couple years ago was still there and had also been flagged. What the heck is that about? Do Strava users routinely go around policing other peoples rides? That data was all correct so I guess somebody couldn't accept that an old guy like me could ride that far?

So my two experiences with Strava leave me thinking why the hell would anybody bother?

mtbr member
    ...never had any of those problems with it or any others for that matter.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, it works fine for me. I've used both the iphone app and now upload via my Garmin 510. Simple and quick. The only time I've had anything flagged was when I left it running while driving back after a ride.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    does mtbr have a bot that automatically inserts a qualifier paragraph stating "I'm not competitive and I don't care how my times compare to others" every time it detects the word Strava ?

livin' the dream......
    I've not had any issues with Strava in 18 months of use. Run it on my iPhone. Don't give up on it yet, you may find some value in it once you work through these issues.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    If there are a large number of KOMs, or a section or two that you beat the previous KOM by a large margin, it may be flagged automatically by the system. This is because it thinks you may have used a vehicle. Not uncommon, as people often forget to turn it off before driving home or shuttling up a mountain. It's pretty easy to raise the issue with support and explain what happened. They can fix the problem if it happens at the start or end of the ride, but not in the middle.

In reality, it's similar to just about any other piece of technology. It takes time to learn how to use it. Less time if you use devices with the strava app installed and don't encounter any flagable activities.

BTW, if your activity is flagged, you can leave it that way indefinitely if desired. The data remains, but your times just don't get added to the individual segments' leader board. No big deal if you're not trying to be competitive with others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    But you felt the need to come here and complain about it?

Works fine for me…
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    9:zero:7 190mm

mtbr member
    you should try endomondo, or "my tracks". both apps work great on my android phone, and are better for a rider who is happy with just wanting to know his ride stats.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Give it a crank
    It gets pretty simple after you figure out how to get your gpx files into Strava with your setup. I use a smartphone with an app (not the Strava app) that creates a gpx files which I just email to the Strava upload email address and that's it. It's pretty easy and the cumulative stats you get are a nice thing to have.

DFMBA.org
    If you don't like the Strava experience, why not try Garmin Connect. I use both just because I have a ton of history with Strava.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    The 60 series isn't supported in Garmin Connect.

mtbr member
    THIS
    "does mtbr have a bot that automatically inserts a qualifier paragraph stating "I'm not competitive and I don't care how my times compare to others" every time it detects the word Strava ?"

AND THIS
    "But you felt the need to come here and complain about it?

Works fine for me…"
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

FKA Malibu412
    I get it. My club members and I use it to one up each other with an e-file record of such, flip each other crap when we KOM or beat their time, catch people blowing through stop signs on epic down hills, and general hooligan-ery on shared trails. What's not to get?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I get it. My club members and I use it to one up each other with an e-file record of such, flip each other crap when we KOM or beat their time, catch people blowing through stop signs on epic down hills, and general hooligan-ery on shared trails. What's not to get?
    I wonder if we could get a hoolligan-ery stoke thread started... sounds epic...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    This is the only constructive thing I can think of doing with another useless Strava hater thread-
    I just don't get Strava.-sexy-yoga-pants-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelchris View Post
    I'm too lazy to bother recording and downloading rides and I generally don't give a damn about what other people are doing or how fast they are, nor am I interested in sharing my mediocre riding with the world.

I first used Strava a couple of years ago because it was suggested for an AES race. ?
    SOOO, you don't wan to compete but yet you participate in RACES?

Is it still cool to hate on Strava?

The fact is that it's a free app. It tracks your miles, elevation etc.If you don't like being compared to others turn that feature off.
    The best part of Strava is getting ideas for rides that are appropriate for you - download the gpx and follow it. I don't get much time to ride, so proper planning is crucial. Knowing the completion time, average speed and the way is very helpful.

Now if you are in to racing - Strava allows you to race for free whenever you want. Comparison to other riders on different segments in an invaluable tool for race training.

bland
    Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!

mtbr member
    Sorry if I hit a nerve there SSdirt29. Did you really have to post three times to put me in my place? Nice ass by the way. Is that yours? Every time one of my friends asks me if I'm on Strava I always feel so inferior and out of it. I have now been sufficiently chastised for even binging it up. Maybe I am just not Strava material.

I'm not a Strava hater, yet. It would take too much energy to hate it anyway. I'm just tying to figure it out and understand why it is so popular. I figured I'd be open minded and give it a try and see what it has to offer. I posted here not to troll or get flamed but to see if somebody can explain to me what I'm doing wrong and how to take advantage of whatever it has to offer. So far it has been frustrating and not very user friendly and I haven't even been able to really give it a full try.

I imagine it could be good to compare my rides from one time to the next and keep track of stuff. I suppose it would be nice to compare my performance to a pile of other people who are probably faster, fitter, younger and more dedicated than me. I'm not the kind of guy who gives other people crap for their performance though. I know there are plenty of people who can shut me down so it is better to keep it to myself. I do like to race because it is fun to get out there to chase and be chased. It isn't about winning or beating some particular person, I really don't have much chance of that. It definitely makes me push harder to have competition and it adds a certain excitement to what might otherwise be a mundane route. Sure it feels good to do well and compare my performance to others but mostly it is fun to race, in real time, with real people, that I can see and talk to. Still, I can see that virtual racing could be fun.

I suppose I could use my phone instead of my ancient GPS but I usually do rides long enough that the phone GPS runs the battery down.

Maybe I'll try it again. I'll be sure to post up here if successful so you guys can make fun of me. Unfortunately I don't even know yet how to tell people where to find me on Strava.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Seeing I'm 175th out of 200 on a section is pointless. Seeing how I'm improving my own times is great...

mtbr member

Re: I just don't get Strava.

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Seeing I'm 175th out of 200 on a section is pointless. Seeing how I'm improving my own times is great...
    Yup that's all it is for me, a tool to see where I'm improving and where I'm not. If I focused on where I ranked overall, I'd be depressed I Love setting personal records for myself, best part of strava

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rogue Exterminator
    Strava, if you don't like it, don't use it.

I don't like Brussels sprout but I don't feel a need to create a thread proclaiming that either.
    Instead, I just don't eat them.

For me, I like it. Probably for different reasons than others.
    I know I will never kom, I have ridden with guys that can and they are half my age and ride as much almost every day as I do in a week. I just like to see how many miles I ride and although it is pointless comparing segments in my area for mountain biking as they continually change not to mention the fact that I may ride that trail on warm up today, at my peak the next time, and when I am to the point of fatigue the time after that.

As far as accuracy goes, mine is pretty much dead on every time (use on Droid Bionic).
    I have compared it to odometer in my work truck, personal vehicles, and with Garmin on dash GPS. Of course there will be minor discrepancies between them all but we are talking maybe 1/10 of a mile.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey, twowheelchris, I totally get your comments and took no offense to the timbre of your thread. Seemed sincere without attitude. Stravarians who are Richard heads would be Richard Heads with or w/o strava. I don't get earbuds .............. compressed music 7mm from your ear drum ... and you can't communicate with them ... seems a bit selfish ... as I approach a rider from behind ...Hey how ya doin"? no response .....Can I pass when you get a chance?.... (no response) ... repeat

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    I don't get earbuds .............. compressed music 7mm from your ear drum ... and you can't communicate with them ... seems a bit selfish ... as I approach a rider from behind ...Hey how ya doin"? no response .....Can I pass when you get a chance?.... (no response) ... repeat
    I give the polite approach at first but when I realize they are in their own little world because of the ear buds, I just pass often startling them. They will eventually figure out to turn it down, leave one ear bud out or just turn it off. If they get pissed, I would tell them to turn the music off and they won't have a problem.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Meatbomb
    I just ride. I don't feel the need to improve times, just improve enjoyment.

I don't Strava either.

Ahhh the pain....
    funny, before strava, I used garmin connect since I was interested in seeing how much I rode and how much elevation I climbed. I'd look at my HR data only to get a feel for how hard I worked in a ride or climbing a hill.
    Strava initially was a pretty bad "data logger", but the virtual race functionality brought new life to "training" for me. I find it hard to do intervals, but really enjoy finding a segment that requires significant effort and hitting it hard. So for me, it made "training" a bit more fun since there was an immediate return for hard work. Now, strava and some of the other tools that access your stava data(ie, raceshape.com, veloviewer.com) allow even better analysis and can help you find where you loose time wrt another rider. I think for people trying to get faster, it's a great way to find your weaknesses(and thus improve on them) and not just have actual races to do so.
    If you enjoy just getting out and riding, then I'm not sure why you'd ever want to use strava. If you're a paying member, you can download other peoples rides which is a great feature if you're into patching together gpx files for rides. But then again, garmin connect will let you do that for free.
    Bottom line, strava isn't for everyone...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast