mtbr member

I joined the Dark Side...

No, I didn't shuttle. Or spend 7+ hours in the saddle doing a boring ride to Saguaro Lake and back. I did my first ever 5K, and much to my surprise, I kind of enjoyed it.

Other than doing the treadmill at the gym or playing Ultimate Frisbee, I never run. But for a friend's 50th birthday, he asked all his friends to do the Luminarie Run with him in Cave Creek on Saturday. I signed up Monday before the race, and figured I'd just wing it. But when I crossed the finish line, I had this sense of accomplishment. Yea, it was only 3.1 miles. And it look me 35 mins. But it was still fun.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    That is the dark side...I do not enjoy running and can't see myself ever doing it recreationally but an occasional 5k wouldn't be bad...plus it sounds better than saying 3.1 miles...
    "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been a runner most of my life. In high school, I was a cross country geek... but hey, we did get our letterman's jackets before the football team.

You should try running some of the same trails you ride. It gives you an interesting new perspective to the trail. I find trail running to be a lot of fun... leaping over rocks and flying down big hills. Running on the roads can get boring and monotonous.

And if you really want a challenge, you should consider doing an off-road triathlon. The mountain bike segment is always the longest portion, so you already have that advantage. The run is typically a 5K in the beginner races, and now you know you can do that. So it's just a matter of can you swim? That's my problem area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    No, I didn't shuttle. Or spend 7+ hours in the saddle doing a boring ride to Saguaro Lake and back. I did my first ever 5K, and much to my surprise, I kind of enjoyed it.

Other than doing the treadmill at the gym or playing Ultimate Frisbee, I never run. But for a friend's 50th birthday, he asked all his friends to do the Luminarie Run with him in Cave Creek on Saturday. I signed up Monday before the race, and figured I'd just wing it. But when I crossed the finish line, I had this sense of accomplishment. Yea, it was only 3.1 miles. And it look me 35 mins. But it was still fun.

Say it aint so skinny! The only time I run is when I HAVE to.

mtbr member
    ahh... thought you bought a cool bike. Running? Does it really need to be talked about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I've been a runner most of my life. In high school, I was a cross country geek... but hey, we did get our letterman's jackets before the football team.

You should try running some of the same trails you ride. It gives you an interesting new perspective to the trail. I find trail running to be a lot of fun... leaping over rocks and flying down big hills. Running on the roads can get boring and monotonous.

And if you really want a challenge, you should consider doing an off-road triathlon. The mountain bike segment is always the longest portion, so you already have that advantage. The run is typically a 5K in the beginner races, and now you know you can do that. So it's just a matter of can you swim? That's my problem area.
    Trail running is definitely something I'd like to try. We live walking distance to the PMP, and do hike occasionally. The one issue I have is I overpronate, and ruptured my Achilles last year, so I'm a bit cautious on the trail. But I do work from home, and am going to consider doing lunchtime runs versus my normal going to the gym.

Regarding a tri, I definitely don't want to do a standard tri. Mt try does kind of appeal to me. But I absolutely despise swimming...unless it involves a boat drink and a floatie.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Trail running is definitely something I'd like to try. We live walking distance to the PMP, and do hike occasionally. The one issue I have is I overpronate, and ruptured my Achilles last year, so I'm a bit cautious on the trail. But I do work from home, and am going to consider doing lunchtime runs versus my normal going to the gym.

Regarding a tri, I definitely don't want to do a standard tri. Mt try does kind of appeal to me. But I absolutely despise swimming...unless it involves a boat drink and a floatie.
    You definitely need a good pair of trail running shoes with strong, thick soles. Those little rocks can be murder on your feet if you step on them wrong. I wear these...

Asics Gel-Trabuco

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The only time I run is when the guy chasing me has a knife!! And remember, I don't have to outrun him, I just have to outrun you.

aka Diesel
    Oh NOW yer talkin'!
    Trail running is my first love, mountain biking, something I do when my legs need a good cross-train. I've never done a full marathon, just lots of half-marathons, and endless amounts of "joy" running, but I do SO love the endorphins that I can only find from running. Glad you have joined the leagues of those who know exactly what the reward feels like. Prepare for addiction!!

Given the rains duped me out of a my Pass Mountain run today, so maybe tomorrow. Happy running, Skinny.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Where the tree roots at?
    Congrats! My wife and I have been training for the Rock N Roll marathon in January. Well, our goal is to do the half-marathon, no full marathon yet. We're up to 6 mile runs. Following her training schedule really does help.

Oh, by the way, the Luminaria run is actually closer to 4 miles, 3.85 miles to be exact. I ran it 4 years ago and it was 4 miles, but this years course was a little shorter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Say it aint so skinny! The only time I run is when I HAVE to.
    or when I'm being chased.