mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I have two hours to ride in Sedona, what should I do?

I'll have two hours on Tuesday AM to ride in Sedona, what should I do? For reference I'm a SLOW (I take a break on Javelina before even hitting Mormon Loop...) climber and an mid-advanced level technical descender (I can clean Mormon without much difficulty though I don't like to hit gaps/drops while out solo on vacation).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bell Rock pathway

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Slim Shady.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Try Chuckwagon to Longs Canyon up to Dead Mans Pass trail, go down to Aerie Trail to Cockscomb trail, loop that around back to Aerie trail, follow back to Mescal Mountain trail which will bring you back to Chuckwagon and your car.

It's some great trail and there is nothing too difficult, the west trail system is some of the best introductory stuff in Sedona. Pick up the Beartooth map at one of the shops, this ride is well marked and easy to follow.

I love tech, down hilling, and jumping/dropping but I also love this for some nice pleasurable cruising. Coming back on the Aerie Trail from the Cockscomb I think is one of the most fun pieces of single track in northern Arizona. Think xc pump track like awesomeness.

Do this, thank me later.

mtbr member
    pink jeep tour

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    I'll have two hours on Tuesday AM to ride in Sedona, what should I do? For reference I'm a SLOW (I take a break on Javelina before even hitting Mormon Loop...) climber and an mid-advanced level technical descender (I can clean Mormon without much difficulty though I don't like to hit gaps/drops while out solo on vacation).
    Before any of us answer this question. You should answer these questions .

1) are you driving up and back the same day ? If yes, will you be taking the usual exit off of I17 from the south ?
    2) Are you staying the night in Sedona ? If yes, what part of sedona will you be in ? Believe it or not, the drive to the trailhead could be quite significant depending on where you stay relative to where you will be riding.
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    pink jeep tour
    Ah yes, why ride when you can just get on a Pink Jeep Tour, 2 hours of off road pleasure for only 90 bucks!

I used to work there, it was painful to listen to massively over weight main stream Americans laugh at people out hiking or their disbelief in seeing people actually on bikes. I lost a lot of hope and respect for humanity during those 6 years.

Give it a crank
    With just 2 hours in Sedona do this:

1) buy maps and also Cosmic Ray's bike trails book
    2) find a nice, quiet viewpoint to soak in the majestic scenery
    3) spend the rest of the 2 hours studying the maps, book & scenery
    4) go home, plan a trip for at least 2 days, not hours, in Sedona
    5) come back when you have more time to ride till you drop

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Coming back on the Aerie Trail from the Cockscomb I think is one of the most fun pieces of single track in northern Arizona. Think xc pump track like awesomeness.

Do this, thank me later.
    Excellent advice, but for two hours, I 2nd the Bell Rock Pathway. If for nothing else, it will get you excited to come back for more with all the different trails that branch off heading into what looks to be beautiful country. BTW, it is!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkuhn818 View Post
    Excellent advice, but for two hours, I 2nd the Bell Rock Pathway. If for nothing else, it will get you excited to come back for more with all the different trails that branch off heading into what looks to be beautiful country. BTW, it is!
    Really? Bell Rock Path? Go do the ride RA suggests. 2 to 2 1/2 hrs going slow.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd suggest starting from Bike N Bean and hitting up Slim Shady over to Templeton and then over to Chicken Point, then back on Llama. Not huge, but a good mix of fun trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    most advice on here is gay

meh, f#$k it, why not just go up to the creek, bring a case of beer to give to under age collage girls and see how many will let ya motor boat em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try Chuckwagon to Longs Canyon up to Dead Mans Pass trail, go down to Aerie Trail to Cockscomb trail, loop that around back to Aerie trail, follow back to Mescal Mountain trail which will bring you back to Chuckwagon and your car.

It's some great trail and there is nothing too difficult, the west trail system is some of the best introductory stuff in Sedona. Pick up the Beartooth map at one of the shops, this ride is well marked and easy to follow.

I love tech, down hilling, and jumping/dropping but I also love this for some nice pleasurable cruising. Coming back on the Aerie Trail from the Cockscomb I think is one of the most fun pieces of single track in northern Arizona. Think xc pump track like awesomeness.

Do this, thank me later.
    I stopped by over the edge to pick up a map and this is what they said as well. Given that the reason I am here is to spend time with the wife and and son on a mini vacation and not to ride I think that will work well. I might do slim shady and chicken whack if that strikes my fancy in the m am but I'll probably stick to the route you suggested and come back for the harder stuff in a couple weeks.

Vitamin Bike Added

meh, f#$k it, why not just go up to the creek, bring a case of beer to give to under age collage girls and see how many will let ya motor boat em.
    Damn he beat me to it.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Do this, thank me later.
    Did this with some slight variations and had a great time.

mtbr member

In psychoanalytic theory, reaction formation is a defensive process (defense mechanism) in which anxiety-producing or unacceptable emotions and impulses are mastered by exaggeration (hypertrophy) of the directly opposing tendency
    ergo, you're gay.