bland

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I don't understand. Please help.

It's monsoon season so that means I'm pedaling my blindside up Elden look out road 4-7 times a week to ride the DH trails. While I hear that riding up the road is "lame" you do what you have to do when there is no shuttle truck running and the dirt is so good that not riding is not an option. This is hard boring work but in my opinion the payoff is well worth it. The thing that I don't understand is all of the people I see riding up the road that get to the top and then turn around to ride back down the road. This is crazy right? Usually I see non-bike type people doing this which I understand, they just don't know any better, but this week I've seen people on pretty nice bikes doing this. I've seen like a dozen people this week going down the lookout road on very capable trail bikes from rip-9's to spec enduro's. What gives? Does anybody understand this? I feel like I should say something to them, let them know that they could be riding some amazing trails instead of a road. Should I make a pamphlet to hand out? It could ask some questions to find out if they have "dirt roadie" syndrome. Questions like "do you have 500psi of air in your fork?" and "do you have to replace your brake pads after every ride?" I'll include a coupon that allows them to trade their heart rate monitors for a six-pack of beer.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    It's monsoon season so that means I'm pedaling my blindside up Elden look out road 4-7 times a week to ride the DH trails. While I hear that riding up the road is "lame" you do what you have to do when there is no shuttle truck running and the dirt is so good that not riding is not an option. This is hard boring work but in my opinion the payoff is well worth it. The thing that I don't understand is all of the people I see riding up the road that get to the top and then turn around to ride back down the road. This is crazy right? Usually I see non-bike type people doing this which I understand, they just don't know any better, but this week I've seen people on pretty nice bikes doing this. I've seen like a dozen people this week going down the lookout road on very capable trail bikes from rip-9's to spec enduro's. What gives? Does anybody understand this? I feel like I should say something to them, let them know that they could be riding some amazing trails instead of a road. Should I make a pamphlet to hand out? It could ask some questions to find out if they have "dirt roadie" syndrome. Questions like "do you have 500psi of air in your fork?" and "do you have to replace your brake pads after every ride?" I'll include a coupon that allows them to trade their heart rate monitors for a six-pack of beer.

Thoughts?
    NO!!!!!! Do you really want more people on the trails?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Huffy Rider
    Ya, let 'em have their own kind of fun. The monsoons will be gone for a while and we wouldn't them on the good trails kicking up what little moist dirt is left! Besides, if they are riding "nice" trail bikes, and they like to ride nice trails, they would do their homework before heading out. I have only been to Flag a hand full of times and have never had to ride any roads, only fun trails, cuz I did my homework.

BTW, hope there is still some moisture in the dirt for Friday!!

Brenda

Meatbomb
    Thoughts?
    Let them do what they want to do ???

AZ
    banned
    Training? Hill Intervals?

dirt visionary
    I can see some of the people doing training as I seen some fancy arse carbon HT riders in full kit doing that. I have pedaled up many mountains and the only time I have ever ridden down the road was with my daughter and we started from up top . It was to help her get used to speed on dirt before letting her loose on a trail with skinny corridors and speed.

But I do feel like saying something to people that you describe and I am actually guilty of doing so once ...I told a group of riders coming down FS651(pinal)that they were supposed to ride the trails down the mountain not the road jokinly But from the looks of the group they hadn't ever really ridden bikes much and the shuttle vehicle was following them down it had to be some sort of tour as they had a big cab over van and a huge dual axel dump trailer with bike racks you see in front of schools ect.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

parenting for gnarness

Thoughts?
    brilliant!

usually i rather enjoy a good climb, but i hauled a sled up the mtn last weekend and more-or-less hated most of it, knowing my bike was ill-suited to the task and this was simply for the payoff. maybe they have such amazingly climbey bikes descending is painful?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    brilliant!

usually i rather enjoy a good climb, but i hauled a sled up the mtn last weekend and more-or-less hated most of it, knowing my bike was ill-suited to the task and this was simply for the payoff. maybe they have such amazingly climbey bikes descending is painful?
    You just need a Highline. It climbs up that mountain and road like no-one's business, all 46+lbs. Self shuttle Flag and make it a freeride trip with some of the trails you can't get to by pure DH.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sometimes you just have to look the other way....I think I know some of these people you are talking about. They have dragged me into conversations containing phrases such as "Can we ride somewhere that's not so hilly as Usery Park?" and "We mountain biked 3 times this week, all the way to the trail-head" (the trail-head is about .5mi from their house and that trail is Hawes). Luckily I am content riding by myself most of the time.
    Check my pulse...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Did they have flats????
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I don't have a heart rate monitor but I have an old speedometer I can give you. Can I get a six pack of beer for that?

mtbr member
    The real ? is why are you riding up the road surely there are trails that would get you up that would be more interesting then slogging up the road.

I actually know of a guy (friend of a friend) who likes to ride a full on downhill bike up smooth ass dirt roads just for the speed rush on the way back down. To each their own I guess.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post
    The real ? is why are you riding up the road surely there are trails that would get you up that would be more interesting then slogging up the road.

I actually know of a guy (friend of a friend) who likes to ride a full on downhill bike up smooth ass dirt roads just for the speed rush on the way back down. To each their own I guess.
    I hear people say sometimes that the road is "easier", but man, that road goes up and it DOES NOT let up. The trails usually have lots of less steep sections, even flat and downhill sections to recover on. The trails take longer, but are funner and easier IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Thoughts?
    They know that they can get down quicker this way so as to shag a quickie with your wife knowing you are so harcore taking the long hard way down.
    But you have to ask yourself, Who's going down harder ?

Shovel Ready
    Thoughts.

I've always "thought" it was assuming others care what others do while riding their bikes. I'm pretty sure the "thoughts" of others on how or what I ride, means little to me.

PS: Except for AZDog and DDB. They are my idols.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I hear people say sometimes that the road is "easier", but man, that road goes up and it DOES NOT let up. The trails usually have lots of less steep sections, even flat and downhill sections to recover on. The trails take longer, but are funner and easier IMO.
    I guess it depends on the road and the trail. It's been years since I rode up Elden as I recall I went down Sunset that day. As has been pointed out on this thread it's all good as long as you are having fun.

I should think that going up Sunset and down one of the FR trails would make of an awesome AM ride.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

banned
    [QUOTE=m77ranger;8232559 Should I make a pamphlet to hand out? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

77:

I say make a map not a pamphlet.

I am curious if you can remember the day that you rode up Elden the most times and which trails you rode back to the bottom. Please enumerate, which trails you rode down and whether they are all listed on a map we can view on the internet?

TD

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    If those two are your idols then you have pretty low standards!

dirt visionary
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy View Post
    If those two are your idols then you have pretty low standards!
    I do or was being sarcastic. Either way someone thought it so offensive. To dock me some rep points. So all is good.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    NO!!!!!! Do you really want more people on the trails?
    Yes. Mt biking is fun, I want people to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Let them do what they want to do ???
    I do, but when some of the best trails in the state are in the best condition of the year I want to tell people that there is something better than the road.

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    I don't have a heart rate monitor but I have an old speedometer I can give you. Can I get a six pack of beer for that?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post

I'm not strong enough to ride the DH bike up oldham or upper sunset and have enough energy to have fun on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Milos' View Post
    They know that they can get down quicker this way so as to shag a quickie with your wife knowing you are so harcore taking the long hard way down.
    But you have to ask yourself, Who's going down harder ?
    I'm not sure what harcore is and if I am so but you raise interesting questions.

Thoughts.

I've always "thought" it was assuming others care what others do while riding their bikes. I'm pretty sure the "thoughts" of others on how or what I ride, means little to me.

I assume you mean amusing. You have over 3500 posts on the bike nerd forums. Face it guy, other peoples opinions mean a lot to you.

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    77:

I say make a map not a pamphlet.

I am curious if you can remember the day that you rode up Elden the most times and which trails you rode back to the bottom. Please enumerate, which trails you rode down and whether they are all listed on a map we can view on the internet?

TD
    Yep. last week I went up in the morning with some guys from the shop. One of the guys just got a new trance and wanted to take it down hobbits forest. We rode up lookout road super early and when we got to the top we were in some monsoon clouds which was pretty cool. We rode sunset to brookbank to gnarly and down Schultz. Then I went home and got the DH bike and went up the road for a catwalk to wasabi to midham to upper rocky ridge. At the bottom I ran in to a friend who was headed up. We went up the road up upper onion then down prom night to brookbank. I'm pretty sure those are all on Dale's map.

Shovel Ready
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Thoughts.

I assume you mean amusing. You have over 3500 posts on the bike nerd forums. Face it guy, other peoples opinions mean a lot to you.

Nope. If someone wants to ride a 8 inch carbon DH rig up and down the sidewalk it's fine with me. Never cared who could and make a bigger puddle in a pissing contest. That's how I see a post on why is someone riding a fire-road. Who cares let them enjoy what ever they are doing. If it does not meet your standards of a rider. Again who cares.

There went some rep points. Did not fall in line with the MTBR elite.

bland
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Thoughts.

Nope. If someone wants to ride a 8 inch carbon DH rig up and down the sidewalk it's fine with me. Never cared who could and make a bigger puddle in a pissing contest. That's how I see a post on why is someone riding a fire-road. Who cares let them enjoy what ever they are doing. If it does not meet your standards of a rider. Again who cares.

There went some rep points. Did not fall in line with the MTBR elite.
    But if I don't judge others how will I know that I'm the raddest? How will I get out of bed in the morning?

Shovel Ready
    But if I don't judge others how will I know that I'm the raddest? How will I get out of bed in the morning?
    Win Red Bull Rampage.
    Win Tour De France
    Win Leadville 100

all on the same bike.

nuff said.

bland
    Win Red Bull Rampage.
    Win Tour De France
    Win Leadville 100

all on the same bike.

nuff said.
    I guess I'll stay in bed then.