wrecking crew

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I-17 will be closed at Carefree Highway this weekend

Not to be a poopy-pants...but for those Spring Flingers traveling into town and those here that are hitting the Sedona and BCT rides, you may need to allot for more travel time.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...eeway0312.html

I-17 will be closed at Carefree Highway this weekend
    Dolores Tropiano
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 12, 2008 12:00 AM

Drivers planning a weekend escape to northern Arizona this weekend should factor in some extra freeway time.

Interstate 17 will be closed in both directions at Carefree Highway from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday for bridge-demolition work.

Arizona Department of Transportation crews are tearing down the old Carefree Highway bridge over I-17 traffic to make room for a much wider bridge that is already under construction.

Traffic will detour onto the exit and entrance ramps at the Carefree Highway interchange.

According to ADOT, the detour may impact 88,000 drivers per day in both directions.

"That amount could be higher by as many as tens of thousands, as people head north to the high country," said Laura Douglas, a spokeswoman for ADOT.

"If they have to travel during the peak time, they should give themselves an additional 90 minutes of travel," Douglas said.

The community of Anthem, which is north of Carefree Highway, is also having its signature event of the year this weekend - Anthem Days - and that attracts thousands of people from surrounding communities.

That could add to the number of travelers along I-17.

The detour will specifically affect a third of a mile along I-17, but cars will be forced to narrow a half mile before that. Traffic will begin slowing before that.

Traffic signals will be adjusted to allow freeway traffic to travel along the interchange ramps as quickly as possible, and law-enforcement officers will be available to assist with traffic control.

Drivers are encouraged to consider alternate routes, including New River Road.

The $19.6 million I-17 Carefree Highway reconstruction project will provide a modern interchange designed to handle increased traffic in the area due to rapid growth that is already being seen in the north Valley.

The project is scheduled to be completed by fall 2008.

Go to www.az511.com for other restrictions and closures
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Thats it Su, your a POOPY PANTS. Thanks for the info, way to keep us informed.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    So is this closure/detour south of Black Canyon City?

wrecking crew
    Yes, it is south of New River and Anthem just before you get into Phoenix. Well, technically it is Phoenix at that point, the outer sprawl that is.
    ~~~

Wait, what!?
    Why dont they do this in the middle of the week?

I will be rolling through from Flag about 12 hours prior though, so its all good.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    I will be rolling through from Flag about 12 hours prior though, so its all good.
    But if you plan on hitting Sedona (Sat) or BCT (Sun), you'll have to go north on I-17 and encounter the special hwy fun time.
    ~~~

Wait, what!?
    The sad this is, is that I dont plan on it.

Maybe next Thursday though! Picking up my new bike Friday morn and plan on riding as much as possible for the next week.

Meatbomb
    Why dont they do this in the middle of the week?

2 words - Rush Hour

Kathleen in AZ
    Well holy crap. Just figures... we finally have good weather for Sedona but now no one can get there.

This puts a severe damper on our planned Sat and Sun rides unless you happen to already be north of the freeway construction like our Prescott and Sedona friends. Coupled with the Sedona traffic, it may not be worth it to some (me!) to travel north on Saturday or even on Sunday just up to BCT.

One idea is to offer up an alternative set of weekend Fling rides in the Phoenix area that do not require driving north. Unfortunately, I am strapped to work for the rest of the day but am willing to try to put plans in motion tonight to make it happen - or maybe PaulB can take charge. Hawes, T100 area, more SoMo, Goat Camp... there are plenty of trails that we could do here in Phx town while still offering BCT and Sedona for those who want to tough it out. All we'd need are leaders, maps to distribute at Tucson and SoMo, and communication.

Dang - this stinks!!!

Plus size jersey model
    Does anyone know what the drive for Sedona & BCT trails will be with the added time I am staying in Mesa Dobson & Southern. Coming down from Tucson so I will be a little closer to hit these trails. Should 4 hrs be enough drive time to Sedona under these conditions if I decide to come down? If so thats kinda a long time I think it usually takes like 2 hrs with good conditions.

Plus size jersey model
    I am up for a SOMO B-ride for those days since I can't make Friday's ride. I really am not looking for to 10-8 hr driving days to ride on the weekend. I am definitely down for some in town rides instead since I will be in from Tucson for the weekend.

I am Walt

Upset Kaboom...

I'm not fighting that mess...I'm out. That will be a nightmare. I know some back roads, but it's all gonna be jacked up.

I recommend weekend rides south of the 101.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I really wanted to atleast make the Sedona ride. I'm down with a Goat Camp or Goat Camp out and back ride.

Tucson, AZ
    We will be splitting this weekend into those (1) that want to ride in Sedona (me and others) and (2) those that would rather just ride around in the valley. My plan is to hit 1-17 after the SoMo party, when everyone is stumbling around and go camp up in Sedona to avoid the chaos. More rides will be posted for the Phoenix crew that would rather ride in Phx on Sunday (possibly Saturday), if you want to lead a ride in Phx, please send me a PM with the details.

"Yabut"
    Yeah, I would be up for a Sunday Goat Camp ride (which is what I wanted in the first place ). Saturday in town sounds fine too. Or vise versa, whatever.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Saucy Size
    Sheesh, this is easy. Just take the alternate...

Oh that's right. They never built another road north. One of the fastest-growing metropoli in North America has one road heading into it from the north. Brilliant.

This is so retarded.

Yes, I'm still going to the Great Red North. There are ways around the closure via New River.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Ah, come on now. Use the force. Live for the adventure and all that stuff. I think that the suffering times of the freeway mess would be late morning Saturday. For you all coming up in the morning for the Sedona ride, I would predict little delay, but get an early start and then have breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe (next to Absolute Bikes in VOC), then go riding. Camp out somewhere on Saturday, go bike the BCT on Sunday and then suffer traffic. At least you would have your groove on, right?
    So bring your camping gear! Or... I threw out an invitation for AZSF folks to crash at my house in Flagstaff. I know its a bit more driving, however there is always a good nitelife downtown if you have the energy.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Ah, come on now. Use the force. Live for the adventure and all that stuff. I think that the suffering times of the freeway mess would be late morning Saturday.
    I once sat in traffic for 4-5 hours trying to get back into the US from the Insomnia 12-Hour race down in San Carlos. Jeff (Rock Punk) and I got the bikes off the back and started riding up and down the biggest line I have ever seen, almost got to watch a brawl too.

No amount of traffic can keep a mtber away from biking, especially free beer and $10 pizza (and free Elete water,the schwag for the Sedona riding)

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    My plan is to hit I-17 after the SoMo party, when everyone is stumbling around and go camp up in Sedona to avoid the chaos.
    Word.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Well holy crap. Just figures... we finally have good weather for Sedona but now no one can get there.

This puts a severe damper on our planned Sat and Sun rides unless you happen to already be north of the freeway construction like our Prescott and Sedona friends. Coupled with the Sedona traffic, it may not be worth it to some (me!) to travel north on Saturday or even on Sunday just up to BCT.

One idea is to offer up an alternative set of weekend Fling rides in the Phoenix area that do not require driving north. Unfortunately, I am strapped to work for the rest of the day but am willing to try to put plans in motion tonight to make it happen - or maybe PaulB can take charge. Hawes, T100 area, more SoMo, Goat Camp... there are plenty of trails that we could do here in Phx town while still offering BCT and Sedona for those who want to tough it out. All we'd need are leaders, maps to distribute at Tucson and SoMo, and communication.

Dang - this stinks!!!
    Figures! One of my pals from Seattle finally makes it down here and we can't ride Sedona.

I'm going to Plan B and I'm going to talk him into National Saturday and Goat Camp Sunday. I may even throw gears on the SS for GC (...oh I'm getting weak!)
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

Goat Camp

OK I finally have to ask -- where is the goat camp ride?

Tucson, AZ
    Goat info from one of the best resources, MTBikeAZ.com

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbergace
    OK I finally have to ask -- where is the goat camp ride?
    White Tanks (NOT the competitive loops). Basically the trails in the mountains. Mesquite Canyon-Willow Canyon-Ford-Goat Camp. Looks like a GC ride might coalesce since I-17 might hold some back from the Sedona/BCT rides.

See map.
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=2

Hellaciously fun singletrack climbs leading to hellaciously gnarly descent at the end. Definitely not for the faint at heart unless you plan a turnaround for an out-n-back XC version of the ride before the gnarly dh. You basically climb for 3/4 of the ride and then lose all your elevation in the last 3 miles. Climbs tax your cardio/legs and dh taxes the mind and body parts. Exquisite ride!
    ~~~

Too many Sedonuts...
    Anybody up for chartering a helicopter?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Wait, what!?
    I didnt even think about that CJ. I know a few pilots and will see if they are willing to fly you guys up there if you are serious.

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Anybody up for chartering a helicopter?
    Don't you work at the airport? Can't you borrow a Boeing or something?

im4Gsus

sunday c-rides

azeipcrider, i would lead a c-ride at white tanks comp loops if there are no takers for tiffany's c-ride at BCT. i, coming from the east valley, am not going to mess with the closure mess.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

crd
    ride like a girl
    We will be splitting this weekend into those (1) that want to ride in Sedona (me and others) and (2) those that would rather just ride around in the valley. My plan is to hit 1-17 after the SoMo party, when everyone is stumbling around and go camp up in Sedona to avoid the chaos..
    I'm thinking THIS is the plan! Want some company...?? I know some other NM folks and the Yeti crew will most likely do this too! Yeah to Sedona and Pizza party!! (we are camping too...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Well...........

If anyone is still looking to travel north, What I'd do is either take Lake Pleasant rd on the West side of town to Carefree hwy to New River rd and then get on the freeway north at new river. Or on the east side take Cave Creek to Carefree hwy -west - and then turn north on 7th ave and take that up and over to New River rd and get on the freeway there. You'll bypass the ugly Carefree hwy and I17 detour stuff. It's definitely a round about way of getting north, but..............

Tiff

mtbr member

EZ'er route to avoid the Carefree exit

From Phoenix:
    I-17 north. Exit at Happy Valley Road East. Take a left at Norterra Parkway, follow to North Valley Parkway and take another left. North Valley Parkway turns into 27th Avenue and then curves to right. Turn right when you get to Carefree Highway (going east). Take Carefree Hwy to 7th Street and go left. 7th Street will turn into New River Road and intersect with the I-17 Freeway. Continue north to your ride.
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

or!

Quote Originally Posted by Doode
    From Phoenix:
    I-17 north. Exit at Happy Valley Road East. Take a left at Norterra Parkway, follow to North Valley Parkway and take another left. North Valley Parkway turns into 27th Avenue and then curves to right. Turn right when you get to Carefree Highway (going east). Take Carefree Hwy to 7th Street and go left. 7th Street will turn into New River Road and intersect with the I-17 Freeway. Continue north to your ride.
    You're so smart, yes this will work too and more direct than my options.

Everyone you can bail out early off the I17 too (if its backed up before you get to Happy Valley) and take 19th ave heading North. It turns into Norterra eventually (this is recent so some people may not know this goes through now) and just follow Doode instructions above.

Tiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    You're so smart, yes this will work too and more direct than my options.

Everyone you can bail out early off the I17 too (if its backed up before you get to Happy Valley) and take 19th ave heading North. It turns into Norterra eventually (this is recent so some people may not know this goes through now) and just follow Doode instructions above.

Tiff.
    You can catch the 19th Ave. exit from the 101 going west just before the I-17 north exit.

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

Too many Sedonuts...
    I didnt even think about that CJ. I know a few pilots and will see if they are willing to fly you guys up there if you are serious.
    Mike...yes I do work NEAR the airport and if I REALLY wanted to I might be able to hook up a Gulfstream but I doubt I'd be able to afford the hours. Unless you have an extra 10 grand laying around.

And a Boeing would be overkill, if you could find one. Kind of like swatting a fly with a Buick.

Enduro...maybe..you know anyone that could fly us out of Deer Valley with some mtn bikes?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

AKA shitbird
    If everyone came out to Bootleg Canyon this weekend this wouldn't even be an issue.

Oh and Su Ling, way to mess up the Spring Fling plans! j/k, you and that furry faced guy of yours should come race this weekend. It's where all the cool kids will be be.
    JRA

Chilling out
    Doode, thanks for the directions, I SOOO want to get out to Sedona when it's not frozen.

Chilling out
    ok, so I checked Doode's detour on my mapping s/w and it adds less than ten miles to the overall route. Figuring traffic and stoplights and it still can't add another 30 minutes.

Me and Nando drove 936 miles to get to Starr Pass last night and rode Nando's first nite-ride, so we're not going to let some silly destruction and traffic get in the way of riding in Sedona.

Two bike carries open on the car for any Phoenix locals that want to go. Leaving DurtGurl's vicinity 6am-ism ( Chix preferred ).

Also, ArizonaEpicRider says that I need to say that Tusconians are the finest looking people.

Tucson, AZ
    If I dress up like a girl in my girlish figure, can I ride with you guys?

Saucy Size
    Okay, I'll post this in a couple different places:

If you were thinking about doing my B/C ride in Sedona on Saturday, RAISE YOUR HAND and post to one of the threads. If'n I'm the only one going, I'll bag it myself.

So, please, RSVP to me in a thread or give me a PM if you're thinking of going. If I don't get a show of hands by the end of Friday, I'm bagging it myself.

p.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

well........

Well you do wear spandex so you're sorta there.........

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Well you do wear spandex so you're sorta there.........
    Errr..... thanks tiffany. A comeback is not coming to me at the moment and I am a little busy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Doode, thanks for the directions, I SOOO want to get out to Sedona when it's not frozen.
    Glad to help out. Have fun!

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Okay, I'll post this in a couple different places:

If you were thinking about doing my B/C ride in Sedona on Saturday, RAISE YOUR HAND and post to one of the threads. If'n I'm the only one going, I'll bag it myself.

So, please, RSVP to me in a thread or give me a PM if you're thinking of going. If I don't get a show of hands by the end of Friday, I'm bagging it myself.

p.
    Hey Paul,

Yes, Myself and Amber are planning to do your ride. I don't see any more hands though. What if I raise TWO hands?
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Saucy Size
    The other hands are in the other thread -- there were a couple other RSVPs. Along with some other folks I know are going, we might have 6-8 people. Fun!

p.

mtbr member
    Anybody heading up to Sedona for Saturday's ride got a little room for little ol' me?

I'm coming from Ahwatukee.

Peace!

Sam

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Anybody heading up to Sedona for Saturday's ride got a little room for little ol' me?

I'm coming from Ahwatukee.

Peace!

Sam
    I'm headed up from Tempe (Hardy & Baseline) but my ride time is 10a. I'll be leaving probably 7-7:15. PM if you want to work it out!

p.

Chilling out
    mental imagery will now haunt my dreams, leaving me scarred and in psychotherapy for years to come.

yeah, why not. Thinking we need 2.5 to 3.0 hours to transit to Sedona safely though, so that's leaving Phoenix pretty early. I'm guessing you're staying somewhere up here Fri PM?

u2metoo: I'm planning on going up, and probably can take a fourth but it'll be tight (for us and gear, not the bikes, bikes are easy). I'll be leaving from DurtGurl's place. I don't have a hard time yet but guessing by 6:15-ish to account for traffic and such, and get there in enough time to make Chad's 9am ride if I think I have the legs to do it (possibly, only know for sure Fri night).
    Last edited by bear; 03-13-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Tucson, AZ
    mental imagery will now haunt my dreams, leaving me scarred and in psychotherapy for years to come.

yeah, why not. Thinking we need 2.5 to 3.0 hours to transit to Sedona safely though, so that's leaving Phoenix pretty early. I'm guessing you're staying somewhere up here Fri PM?
    Bear,

What are you still doing up? I have an excuse, bars on bikes. you?

Chilling out
    What are you still doing up? I have an excuse, bars on bikes. you?
    When a nice woman invites you into a hot tub you do not say no, it's rude.

Tucson, AZ
    When a nice woman invites you into a hot tub you do not say no, it's rude.
    ahhhhhhhh, I understand. Leaving Tucson in a few mins

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Casa Grande Mountain?

How about changing the BCT ride to the Casa Grande Mountain Trail? Tough, technical ride and easier to get to from Tucson. Abe
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I'm headed up from Tempe (Hardy & Baseline) but my ride time is 10a. I'll be leaving probably 7-7:15. PM if you want to work it out!

p.
    I'm in Paul! PM on the way!

mtbr member
    u2metoo: I'm planning on going up, and probably can take a fourth but it'll be tight (for us and gear, not the bikes, bikes are easy). I'll be leaving from DurtGurl's place. I don't have a hard time yet but guessing by 6:15-ish to account for traffic and such, and get there in enough time to make Chad's 9am ride if I think I have the legs to do it (possibly, only know for sure Fri night).
    Hey Bear,

Thanks for the offer! I think I've got some other arrangements made.

Cheers,

Sam

mtbr member
    another option would be to run up through Payson then strawbery and cut 260 across.
    TBob
    Had God not driven man from the Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.

Chilling out
    Have fun gang, maybe next time.

Texas contingent is going to wuss and and go see some local wildflowers, take a break from the tech, and look forward (hopefully) to Goat Camp for Sunday.

Gotta leave at least one solid reason to get another trip to AZ in ....

Saucy Size
    Ha ha, suckers! No delay on the drive up, everyone was scared away. Sedona was uncharacteristically quiet. Trails were all ours, minimal traffic, zero conflicts. Easy-peasy drive back into town. Perfect weather.

The B ride/C pace crew totalled 19 and everyone rocked! Good job, riders. Always a pleasure.

p.

skin tight lycra
    Damn!!! I hit Hawes instead today, still alotta fun. My buddy driving back from Moab today also said the 17 was traffic free. Does this mean the mess is over?

BCT tomorrow???

It rains here. :(
    Ha ha, suckers! No delay on the drive up, everyone was scared away. Sedona was uncharacteristically quiet. Trails were all ours, minimal traffic, zero conflicts. Easy-peasy drive back into town. Perfect weather.

The B ride/C pace crew totalled 19 and everyone rocked! Good job, riders. Always a pleasure.

p.
    Great time Paul, thank's for leading.
    07 GF Rig

Sup?

I-17 open (9pm sat eve)

Just heard on Faux news @ 9pm The i-17 / carefree highway work is done and the road back open!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Great time Paul, thank's for leading.
    Awesome that you stuck it out for the whole loop, Mark! A great way to say adios to AZ. They don't have rocks like that in Ohio (or Iowa, I forget!), do they?

p.

"Yabut"
    Yep, a great ride was had. Nice to have Sedona to ourselves.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Yo Aaron, was that you on the Turner yesterday?

"Yabut"
    Yep, that was me.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

It rains here. :(
    Awesome that you stuck it out for the whole loop, Mark! A great way to say adios to AZ. They don't have rocks like that in Ohio (or Iowa, I forget!), do they?

p.
    No rocks to speak of in Ohio...I'll be spending my time dodging trees.
    07 GF Rig

mtbr member
    ah, yeah, now I can put a face with the legendary MyBike'sBroken. Kewl riding with y'all!

Peace!

Sam

Members who have read this thread: 0