Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Humidity

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  big0mike 
#1 ·
Boy did the humidity get me this morning. Happens every year on my first high humidity ride. I felt horrible, weak, heat exhausted etc and it was cloudy all morning and only 88 at the END of my ride. Be careful out there everyone.

#2 ·
I keep trying to punch through the humidity barrier but it only lasts a few minutes, followed by agonizing exhaustion. It's like I can't breathe enough air. And that's on a flat paved street, I'm still gonna give Windgate another try. Last time I tried in this kind of weather, I turned around at Inspiration Point, it was impossible to even look up towards the pass at that point.

#3 ·
I know the feeling. And Im coming off of a 6 out of 7 days riding at 5000ft + and I still got my ass handed to me. Humbling to say the least.

#9 ·
Odd. I've been digging the cloud cover the last 2 mornings and didn't mind the humidity. I rode 22 miles yesterday and 18 today and felt great.

Maybe it's cause I'm from the Midwest were 85 degrees and 85% humidity is a typical summer day.

I don't care about the humidity either way but I hope the clouds keep rolling through every morning.

#14 ·
Come on Doug! :)

Humidity suck ... It is too hot ... It is too sunny ... Trails are too dry ... Too rocky ... :) I find the quickest way to make yourself miserable in AZ is let the weather make you complain about it. It seems to mentally beat you then. I try to never complain about it.

I also feel pretty good in this humidity.

I did start taking electrolyte supliments since it started though. I feel a lot better before during and after. I was feeling a bit run down even though I was drinking plenty of water.

Attachments

#16 ·
Had a night ride last night out at PMP. It was still hot but it's a lot nicer even at 100º without the sun beating you to death.

Holy crap do I ride terrible with lights. I can't steer straight with the sun as guidance. I needed EVERY inch of VOAZ to get up it. I hit EVERY rock, rocks that I usually try to steer around. Worked twice as hard to get the same distance. Demoralizing for sure...

Drew had an interesting theory that with the light on his helmet he felt like maybe he was moving around a lot more because he was chasing the light as it moved with your head. Sounds plausible...

I'm gonna try a 3a wakeup call this week so I can be on the trails by 4a. At 8p last night there was still a lot of the "day heat" dissipating. I'm hoping that by 4a it'll be nicer at 100º than at 8p. My experience says yes but it's still gonna be humid as hell and miserable.

Oh well, as bighorn says, it's just the survival months. If I can keep from losing too much fitness, which I don't have enough of to begin with, I'll be alright when the good weather rolls back in in late September.

#17 ·
Who is crying? Mearly pointing out how surprised I am at the dramatic effect high humidity has on me. As far as complaining about sun, heat, dry and rocks Im not sure where you got that but as a long time Chicago resident those are the absolute last thing I will ever complain about.
Got out this morning for a little Hawes spin actually. Clouds held the sun a bay until I finished my ride. Couldnt ask for more.

#19 ·
I rode Sunday Morning at the Windgate Pass area... and there were no clouds to block the sun... no wind... it sucked on the climbs... Only good thing about riding there on the humid summer days is the scenery...

I have really fallen in love with riding at elevation this summer...

#23 ·
I started out later than normal this morning and did end up doing a shorter loop than normal but it was still great to get out. The sun and humidity combo did impact me.

So I will head out to Utaaaah for a few weeks and cruise the high country. Aspens in July / August are awesome.

#24 ·
I picked a great time to start riding again. Its been over the top hot and humid. At times I feel like a 'guppy' out of water.
I can't wait for cool and dry air. I'm gonna feel like superman!
:)
I'm just sayin'. There is a big difference between whining and 'just sayin'.

#25 ·
Sounds good. I usually get out one of those two mornings anyway so lets meet up. Im actually thinking of a beer and brew night ride this week at Hawes. Just a thought at this point. Maybe thursday night? Hit up the Rusty Putter post ride.

#27 ·
I took advantage of the overcast sky this morning and finally did it: a Windgate-Bell loop in the monsoon humidity. As expected, the steep sections were pretty miserable and required some HAB.

Quite a nice ride otherwise, the breeze at the two passes saved the ride. It's doable with a little patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.