Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How to safely carry a phone...

A quick search gave nothing. I just got a new Blackberry phone and want to treat this one better than my last. I put my old one in the camel back pouch and would sometimes forget that my chain tool is in there. Or the lid on my bladder leaks and gets my phone wet. What does anyone else do? I tried the sandwich bag- takes care of one problem. Anyone?
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I picked up a pouch that attaches to the shoulder strap. They have several different options at REI or other backpacking stores.

Bonus about holding your phone this way is you don't need to take your pack off if you need to make a call.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I broke a phone snowboarding once. Started putting it in a snowboarding sock. Lots of padding and designed to keep the water on the outside. Works pretty good in a Camelbak too

p.s.: it helps if the sock is clean

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsarefun
    I picked up a pouch that attaches to the shoulder strap. They have several different options at REI or other backpacking stores.

Bonus about holding your phone this way is you don't need to take your pack off if you need to make a call.
    Ditto, I've been using this Case Logic case that I picked up for about $7 or so at Wally world a while back. It's a padded case that works very well with the shoulder strap. It works great for me as the location provides a good satellite signal and I could clearly hear my app tell me how pathetic my cardio is

No matter where you place the pouch, the padding definitely adds a bit more protection.

Got a suspension fork
    why not just put it in one of your jersey back pockets?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is not helpful for the OP but, my preference is to leave it in the truck at the trailhead. Never gets wet, banged up or more importantly,IMO, heard ringing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When I go road riding I put it in a plastic back and then one of the pockets in the back of my jersey. When mountain biking I just put it in the pockets that is for MP3/phones. It is a little padded pocket and it is a little higher than the bladder. The upside of that being almost right behind my head, I can just play music from my phone with no headphones when I mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

camera case

I use an old digital camera case that snaps closed locking the phone in. I can clip it onto my camelbak chest strap. Nice and safe even when going down hard, which i have done once or twice

mtbr member
    otterbox.com

Best phone case that Ive seen. I have one for my iphone and I love it

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    otterbox.com

Best phone case that Ive seen. I have one for my iphone and I love it
    For $60.00? My girlfriend has one but doesn't like it because of the way the case protects the screen. I guess it is harder to use the touchscreen with it than without.

workin' it Administrator
    no matter how you store it store it in the off position. Then you lessen the risk of having it damaged by a riding partner.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    For $60.00? My girlfriend has one but doesn't like it because of the way the case protects the screen. I guess it is harder to use the touchscreen with it than without.
    I found mine for $49 at Bass Pro Shop... but prices may change depending on the phone.

I originally had the ghost armor put on and I have tried a few other cases too, but after a few times of having to replace the armor and cracked cases, I went with this..

May seem expensive for a case but its well worth it, its handled everything I put at it.

I'm not sure of the material they use for the screens and if its the same for all of the phones, since the touch screen technology is different for apple products. But I don't have any problems with the touch screen personally. Then again, it might be because I'm using the ghost armor with it though.. ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    A quick search gave nothing. I just got a new Blackberry phone and want to treat this one better than my last. I put my old one in the camel back pouch and would sometimes forget that my chain tool is in there. Or the lid on my bladder leaks and gets my phone wet. What does anyone else do? I tried the sandwich bag- takes care of one problem. Anyone?
    I wrap mine in like an inch of bubble wrap, then some stryofoam, and place in a small tupperware with foam peanuts, and place at bottom of my pack. Then, I just put my Bluetooth earpiece in. Works like a charm.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I found mine for $49 at Bass Pro Shop... but prices may change depending on the phone.

I originally had the ghost armor put on and I have tried a few other cases too, but after a few times of having to replace the armor and cracked cases, I went with this..

May seem expensive for a case but its well worth it, its handled everything I put at it.

I'm not sure of the material they use for the screens and if its the same for all of the phones, since the touch screen technology is different for apple products. But I don't have any problems with the touch screen personally. Then again, it might be because I'm using the ghost armor with it though.. ?
    She has the one for the Iphone also. Got it from Best Buy so they mark up everything...

We were looking for a slimmer design that isn't made of rubber and BB wanted $35 for a clear case and another $17 for a pack of screen protectors. Ended up going to Fry's and getting the same case bundled with the protectors for $12.00. She thought she needed waterproof protection because she is a chef, but it turns out that it was overkill. The touch feature works much better now without that wierd plastic screen that is on the rubber version

Got a suspension fork
    wow, it amazes me all this hassle over carrying your phone. and here I just slip mine into my jersey pocket. what a simpleton I am. btw - it works great.

mtbr member
    buy ruggedized phone.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

It's a slugfest!

tucked away...

Mine's a little tough to reach sometimes....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Glutton for punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    no matter how you store it store it in the off position. Then you lessen the risk of having it damaged by a riding partner.
    Good idea but doesn't go over very well with the powers that be when you're trying to sneak in a ride while on call or have an S.O. with little kids at home! I've done some long winded tech support sessions from the middle of Dreamy Draw before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    wow, it amazes me all this hassle over carrying your phone. and here I just slip mine into my jersey pocket. what a simpleton I am. btw - it works great.
    Gee Randy- I will answer yours first-since you seem so eager. Did you see the part about wet? I do jersey pocket for road rides in a ziploc though-no pack. On the MTB- I crash more, bounce more and have lost a chain tool from a jersey pocket.

I was looking today on the web for bubble wrap parts bags. In the past I got some electronic components packed in one. Think those would be good. Light, cheap and disposable when damaged/dirty.

Snow board sock- have to look into that.

Like the case logic thing too.
    Phone off- whatever. I can't hardly hear my phone anyway from the slapping of your chain or the squeal of your disks. Sucks that I have people that depend on me that may call. Leave it in my truck? I don't lock my truck and often ride from home. Nice to have when you come across a dead person (once), near dead person (five times not all on trail) or just a out of town hiker out of water and in convulsions (twice)-or me with a broken leg (not yet,but pretty close.)
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Gee Randy- I will answer yours first-since you seem so eager. Did you see the part about wet? I do jersey pocket for road rides in a ziploc though-no pack. On the MTB- I crash more, bounce more and have lost a chain tool from a jersey pocket.
    Gosh cstem I suppose not. My astonishment is that people go to such lengths and expense to bring their phone with them. My jersey pocket has worked for my iPhone for thousands of miles, obviously your experience is different. I just wouldn't bring my phone it I had to do what you guys are talking about. And if I felt that I had to have it for safety reasons then I'd just charge up my old Razr in the drawer and bring it.

What I am not saying is that you guys are wrong or crazy, I am simply stunned at the action taken to bring a phone. I wouldn't have the time, energy, patience or budget for these actions in this thread.

Carry on.

"No Clue Crew"
    I ride with mine in my COOL vest pocket!!!!!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    This is not helpful for the OP but, my preference is to leave it in the truck at the trailhead. Never gets wet, banged up or more importantly,IMO, heard ringing.
    I never leave anything of value in my vehicle at the trailhead, too risky.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I never leave anything of value in my vehicle at the trailhead, too risky.

X2!!!!

mtbr member
    After one shattered iphone screen, I got one of these:
    http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphon...agnet-flipper/
    I love this case to death. It's expensive for a phone case, and not all that durable against drops (though I've dropped it and it's been fine), but it's the only one I've seen that covers the touch screen in a convenient way, which is the most fragile part. Well worth the sixty bucks. I'm sure they make one for blackberry too. When riding, I usually just stick it in one of the zipper pockets for my camelbak, in a ziplock bag if it looks like rain.

Eleven - it's one louder

2nd cheap phone

Old flip phone in jersey pocket. I don't yet have a 'smart' phone but when I do I won't take it riding. If all you need it for is making or receiving a call, your old phone is fine. Then no big deal if it gets damaged. Of course, no music, gps or apps if that's your thing.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast