Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How much and often do you add Stan's during the summer?

Also same question during the rest of the year?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I add 2 oz of Stan's about every 3 months. Doesn't matter what time of year. I'm in Prescott, so the temps may be different. I'm also putting about 500 miles on the tires during that 3 months.

mtbr member
    If you have a good seal/seat, then 2 oz per 6-8 weeks is good, if you have a poor seating and you have to pump up your tires often, then your stans will evaporate completely every two weeks (or more often)...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    ~The same for me 6-8 weeks in the Valley year round.

banned
    Jul 2013
    If you have lots of money then put a calender reminder on your smart phone at what ever time period you think is correct. If you are a more frugal person buy the four ounce bottle of Stans and make up your own home brew for about $10 a gallon. You carry the 4 oz. bottle in your pack to recharge your tire or friends having leak issues. Refill the 4 oz. bottle up when you get home.

When your tire starts losing air either over night or during a ride squirt in 2-3 oz. in the valve stem and proceed on your ride.

I actually had the rear tire going flat on my car yesterday and squirted in about 5 oz. and the leak sealed instantly. I have about 10,000 miles left on the tread and rather than pay for a flat fix I am going the drive the car until December and buy a new set of tires for winter driving in the snow.

Hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much and often do you add Stan's during the summer?-getto-stans.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    If you have lots of money then put a calender reminder on your smart phone at what ever time period you think is correct. If you are a more frugal person buy the four ounce bottle of Stans and make up your own home brew for about $10 a gallon. You carry the 4 oz. bottle in your pack to recharge your tire or friends having leak issues. Refill the 4 oz. bottle up when you get home.

When your tire starts losing air either over night or during a ride squirt in 2-3 oz. in the valve stem and proceed on your ride.

I actually had the rear tire going flat on my car yesterday and squirted in about 5 oz. and the leak sealed instantly. I have about 10,000 miles left on the tread and rather than pay for a flat fix I am going the drive the car until December and buy a new set of tires for winter driving in the snow.

Hope that helps
    So how do you make the home brew?

As mentioned I probably need to add sealant more often since my tires are not tubeless even though I am running them tubeless and have to pump them up about once a week.

Thanks for the advice all ...

Meatbomb
    search home brew, there are MANY threads on the subject.

mtbr member
    Good deal Phillbo think I'll just try adding the tubeless slime for now since I just recharged the Stan's today so as not to waste it.

mtbr member
    32 oz water
    24 oz Atv slime - 1 bottle
    16 oz latex mold builder - 1 jar from Michaels

Search WSS in the 29er forum for a gazillion page thread on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I live in Phoenix area. Im running maxxis ardents. They last about 3 months. I add new Stan's when I replace the tires typically. I have Enve hoops and they don't leak out any Stan's that I can tell. My old wheels that came with my bike sucked and leaked really bad.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    32 oz water
    i tried that but it was impossible to get out of my camelbak afterwards

banned
    Jul 2013
    When you change to the new tire do you pour the sealant into the new tire and add a little new or do you try and see if you can get by on what's left in the old tire?

mtbr member
    Ok dumb question but I'd like to get this straight. . How much air loss would be considered enough to make me want to add sealant?? I typically will lose 3-5 psi in between rides (4-5 days) Is that normal? 2013 stumpy fsr comp with stock wheels/tires.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    32 oz water

Search WSS in the 29er forum for a gazillion page thread on it.
    Perfect I'll try that when the Stan's is gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Ok dumb question but I'd like to get this straight. . How much air loss would be considered enough to make me want to add sealant?? I typically will lose 3-5 psi in between rides (4-5 days) Is that normal? 2013 stumpy fsr comp with stock wheels/tires.

I think 3-5 psi between rides is about normal. The Maxxis ignitors that didn't hold air well, also would loose sealant fast.

Honestly, now that I think about it, it may have been seepage at the rim edges and not losing air that caused the loss of sealant...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Ahhh the pain....
    two things...
    1. Keep you bikes in the house.
    2. Ride more...I never add stans after the initial install; tires are worn out in 6 weeks. (rear tire at least)
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    two things...
    1. Keep you bikes in the house.
    2. Ride more...I never add stans after the initial install; tires are worn out in 6 weeks. (rear tire at least)
    Impossible, and impossible.
    I envy you though on both points

I love bike!
    Take tire/rim combo off bike every so often and shake. If you hear liquid sloshing around then you're ok. Probably don't have to worry for about the first month after a refresh, then check weekly or so. If no slosh you need to refresh sealant. I've had sealant last months or just weeks. Too many variables to nail down a refresh schedule IMO.

mtbr member
    I keep my bikes inside but I replace every 2 months or so depending on if I had a puncture or not. Ride about 200mi/mo.

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for the info, glad to hear all is well

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i tried that but it was impossible to get out of my camelbak afterwards
    Add 12oz of Jack Daniels

mtbr member
    The drying isn't so easily associated with time, though time is a factor. Think about this: how long does it take a bottle of liquid latex to dry if it's statically sitting on the shelf?

From what I can tell, I believe that the drying rate for liquid latex is a combination of wheel revolutions and time; and for wheel revolutions, let's use miles. The latex "paints" the inside of the tire on each revolution and the air within the tire begins to dry the thin layers on the inside during this process.

What I've seen as a ROM is one oz every 300 miles and about a month. Two months and 600 miles and my bike's tires are pretty much dry inside.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Add 12oz of Jack Daniels
    The real answer to this question is you don't have to recharge your sealant until you get a flat or your tire gets soft. Stan's will dry out at different rates, depending what tire your using. With schawbe tubeless ready tires. It does not last that long as I run really low pressures,and the side walls are very thin and with the low pressures the side wall get pinch flatted all the time. I have little wet spots all over a 3 month old tire. I have another bike with UST nevegals. I have not put sealant in them for over a year. I'm sure it has dried out but the tire stays just as hard as if it did have sealant. For flat repair. I carry a stan's syringe and a vale core remover tool, and a two ounce bottle of stan's. I pump up the tire listen for the leak. Once I find the leak I remove the valve core and inject the two ounces of stan's with the syringe. I then let the stan's sealant cover the hole by moving the hole to the lowest part of the tire. Sometimes you may have to shake the tire a little. Once the tire seals I pump it up to the desired pressure and ride on. I don't even have to take off my wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There's an old guy in Sedona; TRAIL DOC, that has a secret formula. He asseerts that its the best; but he only gives the formula in the hot tub....so bring a pen!
    Clean, smooth surfaces, and no lumps help;;;;as well as 1 oz of Canadian club per 1/2 gal of potion. TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    When you change to the new tire do you pour the sealant into the new tire and add a little new or do you try and see if you can get by on what's left in the old tire?
    Always use new sealant when you change tires. I save the old sealant and use it when I need to replace dried out sealant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast