mtbr member
    Oct 2016

How Many AZ Mountain Bikers Ride With Their Parents?

I am curious how many MTBR members ride with your parents? If not, why not? Those of you that do please post pictures.

mtbr member
    My dad mountain bikes. He's 60. I don't have pics because he lives in Seattle and I haven't ridden with him in probably 5 years. I'll see if I can get a pic from him and if he's OK with it will add it in later.

My uncle, who is roughly my parents' age (he's 57?) mountain bikes.
    Top pic is us riding Precott Dells last year

Bottom Pic should be familiar to you. I'm the goofy guy in the blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Many AZ Mountain Bikers Ride With Their Parents?-image.jpg  

How Many AZ Mountain Bikers Ride With Their Parents?-file-may-10-2-36-30-pm.jpg  

Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Yes, an neither one of us wants to see e-bikes on the trail. **** off!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Interesting response. I did a post several years ago asking riders to post pictures of them riding with their wives. I got a pretty positive response on that one.

For me personally if I had children who loved to mountain bikes, I would love to be able to ride with them after my legs and cardio gave out. Those two human conditions will happen to all old riders at some point in time. It will be interesting if some haters change their mind at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I would love to be able to ride with them after my legs and cardio gave out. Those two human conditions will happen to all old riders at some point in time. It will be interesting if some haters change their mind at that point.

Sorry, but I would never ever consider ebike. I'm in my 50s and definitely have seen the march of time affect my abilities. When the time comes that I can't ride far, I'll just ride shorter - like some of the 70 year olds in my neighborhood. And if the day comes that my body will not allow me to ride, I'll simply devote more time to one of my other passions (there is so much beer out there to be sampled).

Ebikes are not the solution for anything on non-motorized trails. And on the roads, I prefer an actual motorcycle. I am, however, interested in the new electric motorcycles (road). They may actually be ready for prime time when my mountain biking days are done - if that ever happens.

Now, get off my lawn!

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Sorry, but I would never ever consider ebike. I'm in my 50s and definitely have seen the march of time affect my abilities. When the time comes that I can't ride far, I'll just ride shorter - like some of the 70 year olds in my neighborhood. And if the day comes that my body will not allow me to ride, I'll simply devote more time to one of my other passions (there is so much beer out there to be sampled).
    I'm 61 and this is pretty much how I feel. Also I think trying some other types of cycling will keep me uninterested in e-bikes. Last year I built up a gravel bike and have had tons of fun on what I call urban exploratory rides. For example, a couple weeks ago I stumbled upon thousands of bats exiting their bat cave just west of 24th Street and the canal. Like dtownmtb says, I think I will move to other things.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I'm 61 and this is pretty much how I feel. Also I think trying some other types of cycling will keep me uninterested in e-bikes. Last year I built up a gravel bike and have had tons of fun on what I call urban exploratory rides. For example, a couple weeks ago I stumbled upon thousands of bats exiting their bat cave just west of 24th Street and the canal. Like dtownmtb says, I think I will move to other things.

Bob
    One has to wonder why Ebiking is outgrowing mountain biking in Europe? I have a 73 year old friend who travels to Switzerland every year. Two of his friends are world champions. They have loaned him a Levo, so he can join in on their epic rides. Sounds kind of enjoyable to me.

mtbr member
    One has to wonder why Ebiking is outgrowing mountain biking in Europe? I have a 73 year old friend who travels to Switzerland every year. Two of his friends are world champions. They have loaned him a Levo, so he can join in on their epic rides. Sounds kind of enjoyable to me.
    Aren't ebikes restricted to 15mph in the EU? Also, most of the ebike boom in Europe appears to be for commuter/street use, no?, not trail use. Very few take issue with that. For the record, I am 60 and ride with grand kids when I can. Adamantly opposed to ebikes on non-moto trails primarily due to increased potential for conflicts with other user groups and bad PR. No need to give antibike hikers and equestrians more ammo.
    Vini vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Aren't ebikes restricted to 15mph in the EU? Also, most of the ebike boom in Europe appears to be for commuter/street use, no?, not trail use. Very few take issue with that. For the record, I am 60 and ride with grand kids when I can. Adamantly opposed to ebikes on non-moto trails primarily due to increased potential for conflicts with other user groups and bad PR. No need to give antibike hikers and equestrians more ammo.
    velo can you please have your children do MTBR picture posts of them doing some mountain bike rides with you.

I think you are correct that electrical assisted Ebike's are very popular in Europe. But that being said Ebike mountain biking is growing faster than non assist bikes.

I don't know what the 15 mph comment is about. The pedal assist shuts off at 15 mph, but if you are in good shape you can pedal the bike as fast as you are able to.

Moderator Moderator
    One has to wonder why Ebiking is outgrowing mountain biking in Europe?
    Link?

Ebike and emtb sales are indeed booming, but the actual sales numbers for emtbs are still relatively small, like 3% of the bike market in Germany and 8% in Austria. As far as emtbs out selling mtbs in Europe as a whole, I haven't seen any reports of that. The Netherlands and Belgium are leading ebike markets and I doubt they're selling many real emtbs.

My parents are 88, so I don't ride with them fwiw

no batteries required
    One has to wonder why Ebiking is outgrowing mountain biking in Europe?

No wonder, never underestimate lazy people.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

Black and Sticky
    Sounds kind of enjoyable to me.
    Well there you have it! To each his/her own, and that's the way it should be. Maybe you should have titled his thread "Why I'm thinking of switching to an e-bike for trails...".

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Interesting response. I did a post several years ago asking riders to post pictures of them riding with their wives. I got a pretty positive response on that one.
    Funny how that happens once people figure out your end game.

Isn't it about time for you to register a new profile to post your loaded questions? Might fool people for a few more posts before they see through your ********..

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    dsrt what fun would the MTBR AZ forum be without all the important information being discussed. I find it interesting that so far there doesn't seem to be many father son and daughter MTBR
    members. There really isn't anything to see through.
    Last edited by Switchblade2; 06-27-2017 at 09:39 AM.

How about a little context.

The wife and I did a couple of weeks of mostly road riding in France last year. We saw TONS of places renting ebikes - for riding on the ROAD. The bikes we saw were definitely not meant for off road. There are lots of lazy tourists (and we met some) who don't want to pedal up Le Col d'Izoard, but still want the experience of going up it. Or they want the experience of riding through haute provence without having to do the climb that seems to lead to every village. So they rent an ebike.

We saw 0 ebikes on dirt trails.

parenting for gnarness
    father son MTBR members.
    sexist

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Oops- post corrected. You and rocky have daughters, but for some reason they haven't joined our elite club yet.

I have had the pleasure of getting my butt kicked by the Flag NICA girls. They come down with their coach during the winter months to train on the techie user built trails. Christmas and New Years wash are two of their favorites. They also like the ripper downhill run to Sedona Pines.

I wish Ebike's were legal here because then I might be able to keep up with them. I can only imagine what it will be like 40 years from now when they are riding those same routes with their husbands and maybe their kids. The stories they will remember from their younger days riding those routes will be pretty special.

What a Country!

mtbr member
    Is your ego so fragile that you'd use an electric motor to 'cheat' to keep up with some high school girls?

What a country, indeed.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Your Best Friend
    The OP started this thread after I gave him shit for bragging that his 65 year old friends were poaching Park City Utah trails on ebikes. He then demanded to see a picture of my parents mountain biking. I told him to GFH. What's the price of tea in China? If I want to share family pictures I will, I'm not going to do it so you can fluff yourself at home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Is your ego so fragile that you'd use an electric motor to 'cheat' to keep up with some high school girls?

What a country, indeed.
    ARB I wouldn't say my ego is part of riding with the Flag NICA girls. Since I have gone on several rides with them over the last couple years my old body can't currently keep up with them. If I were to ride with them I would need the pedal assist to keep up.

Do you understand that on an awesome powder day don't expect your friends to wait for the slowest boarder or skier? I am the slowest one in the group when riding with those girls. I don't expect them to wait for me to catch up. Capich?

Your Best Friend
    ARB I wouldn't say my ego is part of riding with the Flag NICA girls. Since I have gone on several rides with them over the last couple years my old body can't currently keep up with them. If I were to ride with them I would need the pedal assist to keep up.

Do you understand that on an awesome powder day don't expect your friends to wait for the slowest boarder or skier? I am the slowest one in the group when riding with those girls. I don't expect them to wait for me to catch up. Capich?
    Then you don't get to go on training rides with them. Capiche?

If they want to go on a slower group ride and invite you along, then you get to hang. Otherwise tough shit.

I ride with a High School team 3x a week. I cannot begin to hang with our tier 1 group. I don't intend to get an ebike to keep up.

Born With A Tail
    How concerned are you that an old man on an e-bike rides Slim Shady, tries to roll a 4' ledge to flat without looking first and then becomes paralyzed?
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    How concerned are you that an old man on an e-bike rides Slim Shady, tries to roll a 4' ledge to flat without looking first and then becomes paralyzed?
    M I am always concerned about that hazard. As an ex insurance broker hazards are always something I would like to eliminate or make known to unsuspecting riders like they do at Bike Parks where the duty is much higher.

If you are old and riding an Ebike you have had lots of time to develop good judgement.

I have a rental unit in Sedona coming up for rent and today while I was doing landscape clean up I heard a lot of screaming going on in the front bedroom. Apparently one of my young tenants friends was goin through some kind of drug withdrawal. Young people seem to have poor judgement these days. They are who I am concerned about on that trail. Let's see some pictures guys and gals.

Your Best Friend
    If you are old and riding an Ebike you have had lots of time to develop good judgement.
    B.S. Every ebike rider I've come across (all poaching) has been a 50+ noob who wanted to get into mountain biking without the fitness requirement. They had no idea they were poaching, how to ride, basic maintenance or even what not to wear. Granted this is anecdotal evidence but I've seen this 5 times so far with zero evidence to the contrary. The people of whom you speak are Unicorns.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    B.S. Every ebike rider I've come across (all poaching) has been a 50+ noob who wanted to get into mountain biking without the fitness requirement. They had no idea they were poaching, how to ride, basic maintenance or even what not to wear. Granted this is anecdotal evidence but I've seen this 5 times so far with zero evidence to the contrary. The people of whom you speak are Unicorns.

Silent so these 50+ Ebiker's didn't know how to ride. Were they walking their Ebike's? They knew nothing about maintenance. Were they broken down? There clothes were not up to your standard. Were they complaining about their clothes? And from what you were able to determine they were unicorn.

Were any of them running into to you? Were they on advanced trails, if so which ones? I have found that it takes an advanced rider to ride on an advanced trail. From my experience beginner Ebikers don't ride advanced sections of trails like Hawes, Hobert or South Mountain.

no batteries required
    Since emororbikes are banned from non-motorized trails in National Forests and BLM lands this is a non-issue, much like everything else that Traildoc posts. Next ban in 5,4.......

Born With A Tail
    I was being glib. But the fact is that people riding e-bikes on trails, like some here would like to see, probably don't have the fitness or skills to handle anything but easy, non-technical trails. Life experience and good judgement are no replacement for time in the saddle. Also, they can attain much higher speeds, shortening reaction time. Therefore, e-bikes will get novices in over their heads.
    I personally know some chumps who are too lazy to build fitness or skills, but would love to have an e-bike. Imagine them cruising the M.U.P. at 25 m.p.h. How quickly can they react when a mother with an infant in a stroller wanders in front of them or appears around a blind corner?
    Won't somebody think of the children?!

mtbr member
    E-Hiking will be coming soon also. LOL
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  10.4 KB

mtbr member
    I ran across a group of them riding (hiking) ebike at Gold Canyon last year, pushing their bikes up the longer Vortex climb because they ran out of battery. The group didn't know where they were in regard to the trailhead or entirety of the trail system, didn't have enough water, zero fitness level, and only a couple were wearing helmets. Darwin award winners for sure. I just rode by on my SS and shook my head.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Then you don't get to go on training rides with them. Capiche?

If they want to go on a slower group ride and invite you along, then you get to hang. Otherwise tough shit.

I ride with a High School team 3x a week. I cannot begin to hang with our tier 1 group. I don't intend to get an ebike to keep up.

He beat me to it.

Can't hang? Don't go, or go and get dropped. It's very kind of them to wait for you on a training ride.
    If, by your own words, you don't expect or care to keep up, why do you need a motor to go faster?

Meatbomb
    Ebikes are a fad.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 06-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    I was being glib. But the fact is that people riding e-bikes on trails, like some here would like to see, probably don't have the fitness or skills to handle anything but easy, non-technical trails. Life experience and good judgement are no replacement for time in the saddle. Also, they can attain much higher speeds, shortening reaction time. Therefore, e-bikes will get novices in over their heads.
    I personally know some chumps who are too lazy to build fitness or skills, but would love to have an e-bike. Imagine them cruising the M.U.P. at 25 m.p.h. How quickly can they react when a mother with an infant in a stroller wanders in front of them or appears around a blind corner?
    Won't somebody think of the children?!
    M Train are you just making up the above scenario or is this what is actually happening? My 64 year old wife and her 58 year old grandma friend have no problem riding Ebike's on intermediate advanced trails. They ride the Ebike's at the same speeds downhill as they ride their mountain bikes. Uphill they are riding a little faster than what they ride on their mountain bikes. They aren't running over any children, teenagers or adults.

You obviously are against Ebike's and that's OK, but please give actual user conflict situations so we can get an accurate report of what is going on out there.

Born With A Tail
    I have no proof of anything. I am just a wise ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Back after a while off and wondering. Is switchblade traildoc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Yes, an neither one of us wants to see e-bikes on the trail. **** off!
    Ok but why? If they are proven to not be any more destructive than regular mountain bikes then what's the big deal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post

What a country, indeed.
    Is your ego so fragile that riders on E-bikes passing you on the trail would actually hurt your feelings?

Seriously though, most of the hate on E-bikes sounds more like fragile egos than the pro arguments. It sounds to me like some riders can't handle havineg their strava times shattered by weekend warriors.

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Back after a while off and wondering. Is switchblade traildoc?

Traildoc, insguy, 50cents and probably others as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Seriously though, most of the hate on E-bikes sounds more like fragile egos than the pro arguments. It sounds to me like some riders can't handle havineg their strava times shattered by weekend warriors.
    No not egos more about E-Bikes screwing up trail access for everyone. There is going to be no way to regulate E-Bikes and be difficult to say that 250watt bike that does 20mph is ok but that 4000watt bike that does 40mph is not.

Bottom line is that E-Bikes are "motorized" and do not belong on non-motorized trails. If you want to ride your "motorized" vehicle, go ride them on authorized trails with the other "motorized" vehicles. Sure you can find plenty of them out there.

BTW my brother rides a Mnt E-Bike, has severe arthritic condition in back and joints. He rides authorized trails and is more than happy riding them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    E-Hiking will be coming soon also. LOL
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  10.4 KB
    omg that is so funny..