How long to dry out?

Printable View

• 01-27-2013
    tattoooo
    How long to dry out?
    Woke up yesterday morning (Saturday the 26th) and my back yard was a puddle. Coming from places like Virginia and Louisiana, I decided it'd be best to get back in bed, wait for things to dry out.

Here's my question, how long do I need to wait for:
    - McDowell loops
    - Papago
    - Desert Classic
    - Javalina
    to dry out?

Nothing I hate more than when people ride, rut up the trail, and then people have to rebuild it. Just think that's rude.

Thanks!
  • 01-27-2013
    SSdirt29
    They should all be fine to ride. Just be on the lookout for new ruts and ditches at the bottoms of any downs or washes.
  • 01-27-2013
    dtownmtb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoooo View Post
    Woke up yesterday morning (Saturday the 26th) and my back yard was a puddle. Coming from places like Virginia and Louisiana, I decided it'd be best to get back in bed, wait for things to dry out.

Here's my question, how long do I need to wait for:
    - McDowell loops
    - Papago
    - Desert Classic
    - Javalina
    to dry out?

Nothing I hate more than when people ride, rut up the trail, and then people have to rebuild it. Just think that's rude.

Thanks!

Depends on the nature of the trail. The west side of the McDowells are lots of rock and can tolerate riding in the rain. However, the east side is more dirt and needs to dry out a bit before getting a lot of traffic. What I usually see in MMP is that there will be some people who just can't wait who will ride soon after this rain - leaving huge ruts that will last until the next time it rains. Think about how often it rains here. Is it really THAT hard to wait a couple of days?
  • 01-27-2013
    seandm
    Especially when we get over 3" of rain in 2 days on this side, that takes a while to drain off.
  • 01-27-2013
    bikeabuser
    Got boat ?

IMO, most of it will be solid with 24 hrs. of sunshine ... And agree with others ... Don't tear it all up, if it's not.
  • 01-27-2013
    g3rG
    I live on the east side of the McDowells. This has been a very unusual amount of rain. Lots of water over a couple of days to really saturate things. Water does not just run off like a monsoon storm. Add to that cool weather, weak sun, and saturated air. The trails will be goopy for a few days at least. There will also be rocks of all sizes coming loose from walls and rolling about. I am skipping my ride today, and plan to hold off until Wednesday at the earliest. Cutting up the trails is bad for other riders, but it really hurts our reputation among the other trail users.

gerG
  • 01-27-2013
    MTBeing
    At least two days. Then you'll have nice tacky trails.
  • 01-27-2013
    cstem
    Thanks for the info on the E of McD. Was comtemplating a ride, then changed that to maybe pump track with the kid and my new BMX. Maybe I'll just take him to T-Bird park (he calls it Mountain One) and follow him around on my SS. Side benefit-the cool weather is gonna bring out lots of yoga panted hikers today.
  • 01-27-2013
    tattoooo
    That's kind of what I thought, which is why I am going to go watch a movie and go for a jog today.

Nothing I hate more than when people can't wait so as to avoid rutting up a trail
  • 01-27-2013
    Dirtrider127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoooo View Post
    That's kind of what I thought, which is why I am going to go watch a movie and go for a jog today.

Nothing I hate more than when people can't wait so as to avoid rutting up a trail

Great day to give back to the trails you ride
  • 01-27-2013
    bikeabuser
    I hit the pavement ... Very solid, great line holding ability.

But,
    My shoes sunk in the yard :lol:
  • 01-27-2013
    Dirtrider127
    Spent 4 hours on the trails today , working:thumbsup:
    Almost as good as riding
  • 01-28-2013
    JoePAz
    I would give it a few days. Since we have rain today (Monday), if it stops around noon then maybe by Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.
  • 01-28-2013
    latedropbob
    I was up on Corona Loma (all rock) and Natty/Mormon during the afternoon/evening last night and all was in great condition with no mud and just a few small puddles. Probably the fastest I've ever rode down Mormon:) So sick!
  • 01-29-2013
    tattoooo
    Wonder when desert classic is going to be dry?

Went over to Papago today just to look it over. Ended up riding the oddest ghetto loop through the hood over by the west side of the park.
  • 01-29-2013
    mikeyonthemadone
    Hi All,

We rode all of DC yesterday, it WAS soft in places, but totally rideable!

Mikey
  • 01-29-2013
    JoePAz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyonthemadone View Post
    Hi All,

We rode all of DC yesterday, it WAS soft in places, but totally rideable!

Mikey

Good to know... I however got caught in rain storm last evening at about 5:15pm. I was on the road bike and not far from home, but at least in Anthem it was wet late in the day yesterday.