Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Endurance Junkie

how did you meet chad brown?

how did you meet chad brown? for me
    Sqeezing the Lemmon ?
    that was way back when I used to hand him his a** (how things change)
    How bout you?

Rhino
    I meet Chad in jail. Back in 94. He taught me how to make some hooch. Scary times.

mtbr member
    Hey mad max whats up buddy. Did bugs to millie yesterday, good times. Met Mr. Brown on the first Prescott monstercross riding his Rocky Mountain HT with his buddy Krein? That was a long day and I think Kreins GF won? Bummer he's out of action for a while. Later.
    JRA

mtbr member
    I haven't met Chad Brown yet. Any suggestions on the best way to do it?
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

sprocket
    I met Chad.
    who?

Just Joshin' ya!
    I met Chad at the AZSF. We rode up National, down Holbert, and then he climbed back up Holbert. Yes, that is right.....up Holbert. I didn't even know that was possible.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Hey mad max whats up buddy. Did bugs to millie yesterday, good times. Met Mr. Brown on the first Prescott monstercross riding his Rocky Mountain HT with his buddy Krein? That was a long day and I think Kreins GF won? Bummer he's out of action for a while. Later.
    +1, all around. he borrowed my pump at the top of a very very big hill, then lost his map upon said hill, and word was he climbed back up for it.

Scott in Tucson

(Chad is second from the right)

April 13th, 2007. AZT 300 #2.

The night before the race I get an email from one Chad Brown. "I am doing the AZT 300, my first mountain bike race, can you help me load the GPS track?"

I chuckled to myself... "first... and last MTB race."

Little did I know.....
    Last edited by Krein; 12-12-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Endurance Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    I haven't met Chad Brown yet. Any suggestions on the best way to do it?
    if and when you do meet him, don't make eye contact

My other ride is your mom
    It was a dark and rainy monsoon night in June when I first met chad on the interwebs, hoping that with each lightning strike my home would be spared and my online vicariousness would continue on into perpetuity. It was the kind of night where your day begins in the stickiness of the predawn sunrise, stuck in a sweltery mess, racing the sun along the singletrack which drinks in the sweat from our calfs upon every hard earned turn of the crank.

As such; It began as a sultry, anonymous affair. I, drooling over his photos, then clicking on his links to even better photos....then me blowing my wad over even better photos. In my photo-intoxication.....I heard a knock.....at first....a gentle rap....then, like a metronome, a steady call....followed loudly like a yell....only this was…a PM on MTBR.

It asked...."hey, would you like to do the Kaibab? “Of course I'd like to do the Kaibab” I responded; yet I privately demurred, "Will the Kaibab do me”, I privately asked; my doubts outweighing my enthusiasm to reach out and try for something beyond my goal....and yet, like the Sirens of old...the myth of Chad called....yet...this was just....Chad.

I said yes...knowing full well....that I was just typing my affirmative just as I type now....I had plenty room to back out of the deal....plenty of excuses of domesticated life, plenty of excuses to just be an interwebs d@uchebag. I then realized that as an umemployed man….I had no cover…I was exposed! Just as this realization occurred, came the fearful rasp upon my door. Not one knock, but two. The phone call!

The plan according to Chad was to do the circumcision of the Kaibab....I demurred, expressed my willingness and yet, my admission for never having done such a thing. I felt vulnerable....and preyed upon. I knew he laid a trap....and I, ensnared in my own hubris...I committed myself.

I agreed...with plenty of excuses as to why I would fail....yet fail, I did not (Thanks Yoda!) I had my own freak out moment at the end of day one….but was rewarded by the kindness of strangers equipped with pickled chilitepin’s and anjeo (for this, Chad somehow forsaw), For the kindness of strangers, we bartered chili mango slices. My faith in humanity restored, I not only turned a new page….I started reading a new book.

It was awesome......3 days of turning the cranks, feeling spent, wondering where water would be...seeing freshly washed maidens with starched white socks.....it was heavenly. In short, it was the highlight of my summer, and a wave I could have surfed into the fall if not for.....the reality that befall me when I came home........

Endurance Junkie
    Wow

mtbr member
    I don't care what you all say, Chad Brown is a myth. he is not real. fake legend. clearly Maad has my back.
    b

Endurance Junkie
    yes, myth tiss true!

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I don't care what you all say, Chad Brown is a myth. he is not real. fake legend. clearly Maad has my back.

Fine...I auto-mastrrubated my way across the Kaibab and invented the myth along with the friend pics.......

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Fine...I auto-mastrrubated my way across the Kaibab and invented the myth along with the friend pics.......
    i am starting to feel so disturbed that you babysat.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i am starting to feel so disturbed that you babysat.
    your discomfort is between you and your wife....I read half a book during my duty of supervising your angels........watching you and being paid for it...quite frankly, would cost more.....

Flaccid Member
    I've a few PM's, a few emails, and a phone call with The Legend known as Chad. But I was there in spirit, checking in regularly, with Spot honing in on his every 6 to 12 minutes GPS signal check ins while he was doing his 300 mile race across AZ. One day, I will give up living vacariously and commit to a ride. Perhaps Casner... though the pics he and Krein take of the unique places they ride in AZ just makes me lust for the more aesthetically pleasing single track in AZ.

Tucson, AZ
    There is a fine group of mountain bikers on this forum...glad to have ridden with a few of them.

Love seeing old pictures and stories of where we were a few years ago. It makes me wonder what I will be doing in 2 years.

pedaller
    I remember the day I met Ocho Cinco like it was yesterday.

I was getting ready to do a training ride for his SoMo Duathlon the following week (that never happened). I was at the Pima Trailhead when this skinny guy rolls up.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I remember the day I met Ocho Cinco like it was yesterday.

I was getting ready to do a training ride for his SoMo Duathlon the following week (that never happened). I was at the Pima Trailhead when this skinny guy rolls up.

Ah the SoMo duathlon idea... Not one of my best ideas I had, but it taught me many things about how to do grassroots.

Salty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I auto-mastrrubated my way across the Kaibab
    How many sets of AA batteries does it take to complete a three day ride?
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Salty Dog
    I met Chad a year or so ago on the Black Canyon Trail. I rode WITH him for several seconds.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

aka Diesel
    AZSF 2009, Black Canyon Trail.

Relatively new to the scene, I was just beginning the big climb when a friend pointed-out, "There's Chad Brown!". Being new and clueless, I said, "Who?"... Reply: "He's a big deal!" (etc etc).... All I saw was rabbit ears and a tail, so The Chase began and I did my best to catch him as he barreled up to the crest. I hung in there for a good while, then decided to "choose life", and slowed my pace.

Over beers at the restaurant afterwords, while making the rounds and shaking hands, he shook mine and said, "You rock a single speed", to which my friend whispered , "OMG! Chad Brown just gave you props!".... I didn't realize I'd met a celebrity! Since then I've had the pleasure of hanging with him here and there, but still never hanging with him when he's actually on his bike. Probably never gonna happen in this lifetime.
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 12-14-2010 at 05:29 AM.

mtbr member
    I all seriousness, I don't know when I first met Chad. The one ride early ride that stands out the most to me, I believe was the 2nd or third time we rode together. Somewhere on Miligarosa here comes Chad on his first hard tail. way before any zoot Ti SS or 29er wheeled epic riding machine. He looked like the classic I just got this used walmart bike and thought i'd see what all this fuss about "bikin' on dirt' was all about.

I of course had the...'who let this yahoo ride with us?" elitest attitude all know me to have. Chad proceeded to ride everything on the trail. Yes he was new to mountain biking at the time, and he had a "cheap bike", but he rode the hell out of it with a smile on his face. So it's fitting that I have this memory of the time when I "meet Chad Brown".

So Max....did Chad die or something? this thread has the feel of a wake. I guess if he can't ride, he feels like he's dying.

I remember the first time I met bikes4 max. AZSF post Prescott ride all crammed in Dave's apartment mooching spagetti and sleeping on the floor. Fun times. I really should be more social.

b (I remember some of these other recollections...fond memories)
    b

Need more cowbell
    I remember the "C+" ride he led at AZSF in Sedona last year.

After about 45 min. of going strait up, he said "well, it's actually a "A" for tech and an "B" for pace." (maybe I have that backwards....doesn't matter.)

That's when the mutiny started.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast