Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    Think it was posted that it is 4 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you communicate the height of a drop you have to be kind of accurate. I jumped down into the wash yesterday and the top of the drop came to my nipples.

parenting for gnarness
    Once again hats off to Switchblade, the most interesting man alive on MTBR. 100 replies. You all clicked, you all read. If you are here, you are a paying customer *golf clap*

mtbr member
    I think the Forest Service should install speed limit signs all over the trails and fine riders for going too fast, all in the name of safety of course!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    When you communicate the height of a drop you have to be kind of accurate. I jumped down into the wash yesterday and the top of the drop came to my nipples.
    Pics (sans shirt) or it didn't happen! Have Rockman post them for you.
    The older I get the better I was...

no batteries required
    4 feet? Is that Pinkbike feet or MTBR feet?
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Once again hats off to Switchblade, the most interesting man alive on MTBR. 100 replies. You all clicked, you all read. If you are here, you are a paying customer *golf clap*

You are correct but hell, I'm laid up high on pain meds for 6 weeks so laughing at faildoc is mildly amusing and entertaining.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok but at your age aren't your nipples at the same spot as your waist belt?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    I think the Forest Service should install speed limit signs all over the trails and fine riders for going too fast, all in the name of safety of course!
    I think that's actually like a thing in Marin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well, are you perky or saggy? That could have a quantifiable effect on the outcome of measurement and I'm not sure 'to my nipples' is an accepted unit of measurement.

Secondly how tall are you? My g'nip-g'naps are approximately a foot and a half below the top of my noggin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I think that's actually like a thing in Marin.
    If the self proclaimed 'birthplace of mountain biking' is doing it then it's about time we catch on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Not sure why you can't post your own pics but here ya go.

Attachment 1137904

Isn't there a ride-around ramp on the right side? Personally I'm not a fan of painting dots but understand the rationale for it.
    That's not the spot I was thinking of. That doesn't need any signage. If you can't figure out that's a sheer drop-to-flat you kinda deserve to land on your face. I'm pretty sure the last time I rode Slim Shady I used the "bypass" because it looked like the primary line.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    This obviously needs some precision. The average American male is 70" tall. I found a website that provided body segment lengths as a percentage of total height.

Head and Neck 10.5%
    Whole Trunk 29%
    Pelvis 9.2%
    Thigh 23%
    Leg 24.2%
    Foot 4.1%

I did have to make an assumption that the nipples would be approximately 2/3 of the way up the torso. Apparently nipple location as a function of torso length is either not well studied or not something commonly shared on the internet. Also, there are many nipples on the internet.

So, some basic math gives us an answer.

70" * (4.1+24.2+23+9.2+(29*0.67)) = 56"

I propose we call this height a 'Nip', as in "that drop is half a nip."

mtbr member
    I'm concerned - that all of you... are out on trails riding bikes o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    I'm concerned - that all of you... are out on trails riding bikes o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Built some trail instead of riding And nobody got hurt.

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-rogers-lake_1.jpg

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-rogers-lake_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Well, are you perky or saggy? That could have a quantifiable effect on the outcome of measurement and I'm not sure 'to my nipples' is an accepted unit of measurement.

Secondly how tall are you? My g'nip-g'naps are approximately a foot and a half below the top of my noggin...
    5'8"

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Wow that's awesome that the USFS is allowing you guys to build new trail. You guys have made a lot of progress with your patience with the FS.

mtbr member
    Wow that's awesome that the USFS is allowing you guys to build new trail. You guys have made a lot of progress with your patience with the FS.
    Yep

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    5'8"
    Wouldn't that put the drop height at approximately 4 foot, judging by the nipple measurement? Give or take a few inches, allowing for perk or droop, of course...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Something tells there was only one "correct" answer to the OP's question. It's almost as if he really didn't want our opinions........#sad

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Will the real slim shady please stand up! (I couldnt resist) And measure his nipples to the top of the drop

no batteries required
    Trolls are shorter in stature though so wouldn't that skew the resultant measurement?

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Something tells there was only one "correct" answer to the OP's question. It's almost as if he really didn't want our opinions........#sad
    true that!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    rock thanks for your volunteer work on this new trail. It looks to me like a lesser skilled trail, that the wife and I would enjoy riding. Have you done a Trailforks write up on it yet? Please provide a screen shot, so I can find out how to access it.

My other ride is your mom
    Diplomacy vs bluster..........hrmmmmm

mtbr member
    pussies
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If it is a blind crux on an intermediate trail, paint a few dashes on the safest line. If it is an advanced trail, just leave it alone. Why try to Sedramatize everything?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    bpressnail on this type of hazard i think it would be a good idea to paint the dashes to show lesser skilled riders the line. In Sedona one could get kicked out of the forest trying to prevent some inexperienced rider from becoming paralyzed. I would be happy to supply the paint if you will paint the dots.

mtbr member
    bpressnail on this type of hazard i think it would be a good idea to paint the dashes to show lesser skilled riders the line. In Sedona one could get kicked out of the forest trying to prevent some inexperienced rider from becoming paralyzed. I would be happy to supply the paint if you will paint the dots.
    I'm a lesser rider (or in your parlance, a 50%er or whatever stupid number you pull out of your a$$). I've been on Slim Shady a few times and never noticed any trail feature that would have paralyzed me. Why? Because it's clear and obvious the line goes around this stupid drop. So because some idiot read the line wrong and didn't use his common sense, you want to change it? Get a freaking life. A few years ago, I took a good fall on the east side of Hiline because I hit this big ass rock that's slanted at an angle. I tumbled 30 feet or so off the side of the trail. I could have been paralyzed. Can you dig that rock out for me or put a sign on it?
    Shit happens...

no batteries required

Doesn't Seattle have a bunch of homeless people that you could go help?

IPA tester
    In Sedona one could get kicked out of the forest
    Do you have any expertise in this area? Please post up some pictures or GPS tracks of the trail where you were found guilty of FUNNING it up (whatever the heck that is..).
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have a lot of experience with trail building, trail maintenance, trail signage, trail route painting, trail videos, identifying trail hazards, trail mapping, USFS trail reports, trail guiding and trail routing. The video ( https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=my2B4eYYD5g ) is of a section of trail I FUNNED UP.

Meatbomb
    You sound like Forest Gump... I have experience with Shrimp builing,Shrimp maintenance, Shrimp sginage, Shrimp routing, Shrimp videos, Shrimp hazards, Shrimp mapping, Shrimp reports, Shrimp guiding, Shrimp routing and that's all I have to say about all that.

no batteries required
    I have a lot of experience with trail building, trail maintenance, trail signage, trail route painting, trail videos, identifying trail hazards, trail mapping, USFS trail reports, trail guiding and trail routing.

Guiding? Is that how your friend (client) faceplanted on an intermediate trail? Did you at least offer him a refund since you failed to point out the detour?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ibb I wasn't the person leading the rider down Slimshady, but I know the guy who was and he like me thought there should have been some warning of the 4' drop. I personally have done hundreds of Free tours in our spagetti bowl of Sedona trails. I probably know the trail system better than any local guide service. More importantly I know what trail best connects with other trails.

I can honestly say no one has ever gotten injured of one of those tours de Sedona. I have had people fall into cactus, but I don't think that was due to my guiding efforts.

Does any guiding service know how to connect the I Told You So Wash to New Years Wash to Christmas Wash to Dawa to Canyon of Fools? If you are into World Class wash riding that route is very special.

mtbr member
    Ibb I wasn't the person leading the rider down Slimshady, but I know the guy who was and he like me thought there should have been some warning of the 4' drop....

So who was that guide?.. Traildoc or 50cents? If there was a "guide" or even another rider leading why not yell "Watchout". Even weenie roadies point out hazards on the roads. Of course to a roadie a "hazard" is twig...
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    So who was that guide?.. Traildoc or 50cents? If there was a "guide" or even another rider leading why not yell "Watchout". Even weenie roadies point out hazards on the roads. Of course to a roadie a "hazard" is twig...

Well, you could put an eye out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Neither TD or 50 where on that ride. The person leading the ride is a fast rider and is probably a 5%'er. Many advanced/expert type riders who ride Slimshady ride at very high speed on the downhill sections. The lesser skilled riders in the group are maxing out their cardio and skills to keep up with the group, and that condition can sometimes lead to an accident where a hazard is present.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would be happy to supply the paint if you will paint the dots.
    Must not be that important to stop the pandemic of paralysis we're hearing so much about...

Also, new band name...Pandemic of Paralysis....

mtbr member
    ..The lesser skilled riders in the group are maxing out their cardio and skills to keep up with the group, and that condition can sometimes lead to an accident where a hazard is present.
    So you are saying the guy that crashed was riding over his head? Seems like rider error to me then.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Joe if someday you have an accident on an obviously hazardous section of trail that many other riders have crashed on and you become a quadriplegic maybe then you will understand it would have been nice if the alignment taken by 99.9% of the riders was painted with white dots to allow you and others the opportunity to ride another day.

rockman rides with his daughters and wife. His daughter is an awesome swimmer and has the rest of her life to look forward to. Who knows she may someday become an Olympian. It would be absolutely terrible if someone is someday paralyzed at that hazardous spot because as you say they were "riding over his (or her) head".

no batteries required
    Joe if someday you have an accident on an obviously hazardous section of trail that many other riders have crashed on and you become a quadriplegic maybe then you will understand it would have been nice if the alignment taken by 99.9% of the riders was painted with white dots to allow you and others the opportunity to ride another day.

rockman rides with his daughters and wife. His daughter is an awesome swimmer and has the rest of her life to look forward to. Who knows she may someday become an Olympian. It would be absolutely terrible if someone is someday paralyzed at that hazardous spot because as you say they were "riding over his (or her) head".

And if the were run down by a truck it would be different somehow? Just because you have a cause doesn't make it righteous.

mtbr member
    Oh good lord Switch take a break and walk away from the keyboard. And leave my family out of it.

I appreciate your concern for your fellow man but the bottom line is how the trail is being managed. Slim Shady was adopted and being managed as a Class III type trail. That means it's primarily unmodified to preserve a natural environment experience. If you want a class IV type experience with no obstacles and lots of constructed features then hit the Bell Rock Pathway. You used to be big on the term "user experience". What happened? Don't you think folks are looking for a user experience where there might be something unknown around the next corner?

Submit your recommendation to your local trail biking advocate VVCC or contact the FS directly and be done with it. This thread sucks.

mtbr member
    Dude, signs in themselves are a hazard. You are supposed pay attention to the trail not get distracted by signs.

People will crash more with signs because 1. they will take their eyes off the trail 2. warnings about coming up difficult sections will only shake up their confidence.

mtbr member
    Is this the spot your all fired up about?

Lifted from pinkbike and your trailforks description of the trail. You gave it a black expert rating.

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-slim-shady.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's it. Somehow it looks bigger from on top looking down. And at speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Little Mike Vandeman.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    That looks fun.

mtbr member
    I knew a skilled downhill racer named Mike King (not the pro by the same name). He lost traction and slid down the race course in Idaho City before a branch of a manzanita hooked his visor and broke his neck, severing his spinal cord. He survived and spent the entire million dollars Norba had purchased for race related injuries. At 24, he would spend the remainder of his life without the use of arms or legs, and without sensation below his shoulders.

Like most have pointed out, you can't blame the trail or the builders, necessarily. That's what mountain bikers tend to say and agree on. But the people who post on this forum are not land managers, not lawyers, not risk management officers. Mostly, they are smart asses looking for attention and a laugh.

The rider who went face first onto pavement at Sunset Crater, after his front wheel fell into a cattle guard was unlucky. That shouldn't entitle him to compensation. But the cattle guard was poorly maintained. His attorney proved that and the Government agreed and settled for $3.5 million.

For locals who live and ride on the Rim Trail at Lake Tahoe, and for those who visit those trails, they are only allowed to ride the trail three days a week. They can spend all the time they like posting messages on MTBR about the injustice of it, but it turns out that simply saying stuff happens on trails and people often get hurt, and should take personal responsibility, doesn't stop lawyers and risk managers and land managers from taking action to reduce the risk of lawsuits.

Complaining about the trails at Brown's Ranch being turned into one-way only trails, or trails in Cave Creek being open to mountain bikers on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday only, when it's too late, seems like the course of action for most people on this forum. All because they didn't want to slow down on a blind corner and add time to their Strava run.

I'm guessing that if concerned riders volunteered to improve sight lines and eliminate blind corners, most folks here would mock them and call them trail sanitizers.
    Respect the land, defend the defenseless, and don't ya never spit in front of women and children - The Code Of The West

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    I knew a skilled downhill racer named Mike King (not the pro by the same name). He lost traction and slid down the race course in Idaho City before a branch of a manzanita hooked his visor and broke his neck, severing his spinal cord. He survived and spent the entire million dollars Norba had purchased for race related injuries. At 24, he would spend the remainder of his life without the use of arms or legs, and without sensation below his shoulders.

Like most have pointed out, you can't blame the trail or the builders, necessarily. That's what mountain bikers tend to say and agree on. But the people who post on this forum are not land managers, not lawyers, not risk management officers. Mostly, they are smart asses looking for attention and a laugh.

The rider who went face first onto pavement at Sunset Crater, after his front wheel fell into a cattle guard was unlucky. That shouldn't entitle him to compensation. But the cattle guard was poorly maintained. His attorney proved that and the Government agreed and settled for $3.5 million.

For locals who live and ride on the Rim Trail at Lake Tahoe, and for those who visit those trails, they are only allowed to ride the trail three days a week. They can spend all the time they like posting messages on MTBR about the injustice of it, but it turns out that simply saying stuff happens on trails and people often get hurt, and should take personal responsibility, doesn't stop lawyers and risk managers and land managers from taking action to reduce the risk of lawsuits.

Complaining about the trails at Brown's Ranch being turned into one-way only trails, or trails in Cave Creek being open to mountain bikers on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday only, when it's too late, seems like the course of action for most people on this forum. All because they didn't want to slow down on a blind corner and add time to their Strava run.

I'm guessing that if concerned riders volunteered to improve sight lines and eliminate blind corners, most folks here would mock them and call them trail sanitizers.
    uhh, did you read the whole thread boris? Most here are just arguing for personal accountability. I laud Switchblade for fighting for rider safety but he's done nothing in this thread to help his cause. He lives 3.4 miles from the trail and can't seem to bring himself to post some pics, make some measurements (other than nipple ht), document line of sight, etc. Really, he's just trolling and he's got a captive audience.

no batteries required
    Just wrap it all in bubble wrap so everyone is safe from themselves.

mtbr member
    Joe if someday you have an accident on an obviously...and you become a quadriplegic maybe then you will understand.
    So are you in wheelchair. Seems like not. Really If that were to happen then it happens. I can't live every day worrying about it, but when I ride I within or at the edge of capabilities. It MY responsibility to ride smart. It can't prevent all crashes, but it helps.

24hrs of Old Pueblo this year in my last pre-ride lap I hit one of the little jumps in downhill section the bitches. That is gas pipeline road and hit the jump at 23 mph. Prior laps I jumped a bit and all was good. This time I had too much weight forward and landed on the front wheel rolled at speed off across the road and rolled into the brush. I was lucky to get the back end down and there were no rocks/ruts in low grass off the edge of the road. That could have been nasty at that speed. Who's fault was that? Mine and mine alone. Even on technically "easy" race course you can't mark every place you can have a moment. It MY responsibility to not ride over my head. In years past people have crashed in this general area have some have been airlifted out. It happens when you push and catch a bump wrong at high speed. Even with a generally know danger point people crash. There is not need to fix it and "fixed" or "FUNNED UP" will just lead to even more speed faster crashes. You just need to keep your wits about you in day light or at 3am in the dark when you are tired.

This just a part of riding.
    Joe

Meatbomb
    I just farted.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I just farted.
    Unless this causes danger or a less than ideal user experience this has no place in a forum like this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So are you in wheelchair. Seems like not. Really If that were to happen then it happens. I can't live every day worrying about it, but when I ride I within or at the edge of capabilities. It MY responsibility to ride smart. It can't prevent all crashes, but it helps.

24hrs of Old Pueblo this year in my last pre-ride lap I hit one of the little jumps in downhill section the bitches. That is gas pipeline road and hit the jump at 23 mph. Prior laps I jumped a bit and all was good. This time I had too much weight forward and landed on the front wheel rolled at speed off across the road and rolled into the brush. I was lucky to get the back end down and there were no rocks/ruts in low grass off the edge of the road. That could have been nasty at that speed. Who's fault was that? Mine and mine alone. Even on technically "easy" race course you can't mark every place you can have a moment. It MY responsibility to not ride over my head. In years past people have crashed in this general area have some have been airlifted out. It happens when you push and catch a bump wrong at high speed. Even with a generally know danger point people crash. There is not need to fix it and "fixed" or "FUNNED UP" will just lead to even more speed faster crashes. You just need to keep your wits about you in day light or at 3am in the dark when you are tired.

This just a part of riding.
    Joe I am not concerned with guys like you who Mt become paralyzed in the future by going balls out in some race. You are a tuff guy and I am sure you have a large investment account to take care of your needs as a quad or para. You would have to make some Go Fund Me appeal to the masses to take care of you longterm needs.

If I could save one person from being paralyzed it would be well worth all the negativity I have gotten on this thread.

I love bike!
    Up to this point, based on my extremely scientific calculations I have lost a total of 6,542,834,109 (margin of error +-8) brain cells following this thread. With all the drinking, drug abuse, and laughing gas huffing I've incurred during my 41 years on this earth I don't have very many cells left so writing this post will most likely kill me. Goodbye

no batteries required
    Joe I am not concerned with guys like you who Mt become paralyzed in the future by going balls out in some race. You are a tuff guy and I am sure you have a large investment account to take care of your needs as a quad or para. You would have to make some Go Fund Me appeal to the masses to take care of you longterm needs.

If I could save one person from being paralyzed it would be well worth all the negativity I have gotten on this thread.

Christ, you sound like Sally Struthers.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Up to this point, based on my extremely scientific calculations I have lost a total of 6,542,834,109 (margin of error +-8) brain cells following this thread. With all the drinking, drug abuse, and laughing gas huffing I've incurred during my 41 years on this earth I don't have very many cells left so writing this post will most likely kill me. Goodbye
    Too bad there was not a sign warning you of the dangers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    uhh, did you read the whole thread boris? Most here are just arguing for personal accountability.
    Define personal responsibility. For most here it is riding without concern for anyone but themselves. It's doing what provides the most fun, the most exhilaration. It's competing to be the most extreme. It's never showing up to do volunteer work because all trail work is essentially sanitizing trails that should be full of loose rocks.

The folks attacking Switchblade are here because this is where people with no sense of personal responsibility can come and freely brag how they won't play by any rules, and those who do are wimps. They know this is the only place they have an audience of misfits like themselves who applaud their behavior.

You are fighting the good fight. You are sitting in meetings, walking trails with land managers, asking the right questions, tracking down funding sources for new trails, meeting with trail builders, sharing concerns, proposing needed reroutes. It's a mostly thankless job. I don't miss it. But you also know that almost all of these malcontents posting on this thread will never be consulted by land managers. They will never be taken seriously. They will be ignored, as they should be. Then they will complain nobody built new trails they wanted. I've met the people making decisions about where new trails will be built and how they should be built. They have listened to my suggestions. Sometimes, I've even gotten the builders to go back out and change a line. Switchblade knows the MTBR crowd are dead to land managers, so do you. I applaud his hard work creating some amazing trails in Sedona. I also applaud your efforts in Flagstaff. The FS will not serve our needs without being properly motivated. Switchblade has his strategy that has been successful, and now you are taking a different approach that I think will also succeed. Most everything else written by others on this site is white noise, that is best ignored.
    Respect the land, defend the defenseless, and don't ya never spit in front of women and children - The Code Of The West

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    boris thank you for your support. I am sure you recognize who said: "adversity makes you stronger don't give in don't back down and never stop doing what you know is right"

no batteries required
    Two of a kind.

IPA tester
    I sure hope I don't do this crap when I retire.

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Two of a kind.
    Or, two in the same.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Or, two in the same.
    I was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I just farted.
    Thanks for the Hazard warning.
    Joe

slower than you
    Christ, you sound like Sally Struthers.
    Really not fair to malign Sally's character in this regard. Pretty sure Sally would either ride it or walk it and not blame fate or the builders for requiring her to make this vital personal choice. Sally, while she is, albeit, an oft tearful individual, still has more integrity than that.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Black and Sticky
    Define personal responsibility. For most here it is riding without concern for anyone but themselves. It's doing what provides the most fun, the most exhilaration. It's competing to be the most extreme. It's never showing up to do volunteer work because all trail work is essentially sanitizing trails that should be full of loose
    If you were defining "selfishness" then I would agree with you. But you applied your definition to personal responsibility, which I do not agree with. To me personal responsibility is the opposite of selfishness. It means that I ride in control, and yes, focus ahead for obstacles that might injure me. If I ride stupidly and hurt myself, then I might not be able to support my family or if hurt bad enough I might become a financial drain on society. So you see, I want to take personal responsibility for the welfare of my family and me, and not depend on the signing skills of a park ranger or land manager.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Define personal responsibility. For most here it is riding without concern for anyone but themselves. It's doing what provides the most fun, the most exhilaration. It's competing to be the most extreme. It's never showing up to do volunteer work because all trail work is essentially sanitizing trails that should be full of loose rocks.
    Personal Responsibility = If I crash it MY FAULT, not the trail designer land manager etc. I crashed hard at Phil's World last year. Went to Urgent Care and all. I took responsibility and did not look to blame Phil's World any way. I f-ed up and I paid for it.

Lack of Personal Responsibility it is crashing and then blaming the crash on trail designer, land manager etc. It could involve a law suit to pay for "damages". Sorry dude if you do that lack you are not taking responsibility for your actions. Expecting someone to mark every danger is going to lead to no trails at all. People / Land Managers don't want to deal with Ambulance chasing lawyers. Heck I just saw a Law suit filed against Jelly Belly because they did not know sugar in Jelly Beans! WTF???? There is lack of personal responsibility.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    If you were defining "selfishness" then I would agree with you. But you applied your definition to personal responsibility, which I do not agree with. To me personal responsibility is the opposite of selfishness. It means that I ride in control, and yes, focus ahead for obstacles that might injure me. If I ride stupidly and hurt myself, then I might not be able to support my family or if hurt bad enough I might become a financial drain on society. So you see, I want to take personal responsibility for the welfare of my family and me, and not depend on the signing skills of a park ranger or land manager.

Bob
    Bob I totally agree with your riding style. I think you understand mountain biking is a risky sport and you use a less aggressive riding style to reduce accident potential.

My question to you is when you come across a painted section of trail to reduce accident potential at a hazard location does it RUIN your riding experience? Does it even slightly make you not enjoy your ride?

Meatbomb
    Isn't that like graffiti?

no batteries required

Graffiti in National Forests?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This isn't about graffiti but the mention of graffiti reminded me of something, back when I was working at Pink Jeep Tours we would go up on Schnebly Hill and get the gapers out on Merry Go Round Rock for a stop to look at the views across the Verde Valley above that canyon. Down below on the cow pies the vortexers would often make huge spiral formations with the basalt rock that sits on the sand stone patties. I always wanted to create a giant cawk and ballz during the night for all of the tourists to enjoy. One day......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I sure hope I don't do this crap when I retire.
    It's a little sad.

Black and Sticky
    Personal Responsibility = If I crash it MY FAULT, not the trail designer land manager etc. I crashed hard at Phil's World last year. Went to Urgent Care and all. I took responsibility and did not look to blame Phil's World any way. I f-ed up and I paid for it.

Lack of Personal Responsibility it is crashing and then blaming the crash on trail designer, land manager etc. It could involve a law suit to pay for "damages". Sorry dude if you do that lack you are not taking responsibility for your actions. Expecting someone to mark every danger is going to lead to no trails at all. People / Land Managers don't want to deal with Ambulance chasing lawyers. Heck I just saw a Law suit filed against Jelly Belly because they did not know sugar in Jelly Beans! WTF???? There is lack of personal responsibility.
    Pretty much this re: personal responsibility.

By the way, Phil's World rocks! I'm headed to Cortez in July for more fun there. It may well be the center of the mountain biking universe!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Putting paint on slickrock has certainly been moved forward in Moab. They have over two hundred miles of it. I am sure a lot of paint haters don't like it, but it is one of the major reasons the land manager has allowed all those trails to be added to that mountain biking Mecca.

Paint and great signage has basicly removed the S from S&R.

IPA tester
    Did you ever feel like you're read a evil Eveready bunny that keeps going on & on & on? This is the thread that keeps giving. FC must be loving the click bait

I wonder what kind of tires I should run on my eBike when riding on paint? Don't want to slip out with all the torque this beast has. Hopefully a sign will be installed to warn me about the slippery paint surfaces when wet.. I'll be looking for those hand rails on White line too

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Meatbomb
    LOL.. came across this little gem...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IPA tester
    LOL.. came across this little gem...

Hmmmm, looking at the picture I guess warning signs could work...

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Meatbomb
    WARNING... I just farted.

mtbr member
    Actually there is a whole interesting history of the trail itself. First of all does anyone know were the name Slim Shady came from?
    The word on the street is the previous owner of the Bean named it Slim ShadyÖ.slim because its narrow; shady because it was illegally built. Made in the Shade was named for itís being made in the late afternoon mostly and sometimes at night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bob I totally agree with your riding style. I think you understand mountain biking is a risky sport and you use a less aggressive riding style to reduce accident potential.

My question to you is when you come across a painted section of trail to reduce accident potential at a hazard location does it RUIN your riding experience? Does it even slightly make you not enjoy your ride?
    But it's not just that Switch. If a person decides to ride more aggressively, and then gets hurt etc, personal responsibility is owning that outcome as well...not just saying, I'm going to ONLY ride in a manner that will surely not result in ANYTHING ever going wrong.

Why bother riding then?

Maybe for some that's fine. But for others, where that negates the purpose of riding in the first place, there is the concept of personal responsibility. That's the camp I stand firmly in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    jo I am only trying to reduce the likely hood that someone may become a paraplegic at that hazardous section on the Slimshady trail. For the cost of 50 cents of paint, I could easily reduce the chance of injury substantially and no ones riding experience would be reduced or changed.

Most mountain bikers can't afford to become a paraplegic let alone a quadriplegic. Many start a GO FUND account or rely on friends, family and the government to help pay for the earning power they have lost due to being paralyzed. Many have no accidental injury coverage because they believe in personal responsibility. The problem is that the reality of being paralyzed is very expensive and very few people are going to be able to fund their own living and medical expense when they have become paralyzed. "50 cents" seems like a good investment IMHO.

Certainly I would NEVER expect the USFS to take the initiative to reduce injury potential at hazardous spots like the Whistler Bike Park does. You have to remember the USFS has no budget for such extravagant projects, but some old retired concerned mountain bikers might have a few dollars left over from their monthly Social Security payment to afford the paint. God knows they certainly have the time and passion to apply a little paint to help keep fellow riders from becoming injured. Many retirees are out 5, 6 or 7 days a week looking how to provide a better user experience for their fellow mountain bikers.

Meatbomb
    And then next week you'll find another drop YOU deem to be a hazard and will go vandalize it as well.

mtbr member
    Who's up for setting up a game camera on the side of the trail to monitor any potential vandalism?

no batteries required
    Trail vandals suck!

mtbr member
    jo I am only trying to reduce the likely hood that someone may become a paraplegic at that hazardous section on the Slimshady trail. For the cost of 50 cents of paint, I could easily reduce the chance of injury substantially and no ones riding experience would be reduced or changed.
    You know a few rocks and you can block the line and keep all people off the drop. Someone might "not see" those painted lines. That will be safer for everyone. Or if you really want to be safe re-route the trail out of the wash so that you don't hit the rocks either.

There is no end to this. Mtn biking always has some danger. There already is a well defined alternate line. No you can't make everyone see it and if you bombing down an unknown trail at your limit of skill then coming up on something IS a danger. So lets say you mark this spot. Then an rain comes and puts dirt over the marks. Who's fault is that? Lack of maintinance to keep dirt from covering the markings? Really the issue is someone crashed there. Well so sorry, but it can happen. This spot is not more dangerous today than it was before that crash. You can't prevent all crashes and sadly some people will be hurt very badly in crashes. That can happen anywhere at any time. I don't want it to happen to anyone, but I also can't hold their hands either. People have choices in life and you have to be smart about it. There are places I will take risks and others it not worth it. As I said earlier in this thread if you don't know what is around a bend or over a crest or drop off on a trail Slow down and control your pace. If you go flat out you are guessing at what is coming. Maybe you will be fine, but maybe you won't.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Mountain biking is risky. Dangers abound. One rider's hazard is another's play feature. Can't sign them all so why pretend that risk can be moved with a sign? For attention, perhaps? Ever hear of Munchausen syndrome by proxy? Basically it involves creating a problem to gain credit and attention for fixing the problem. Fairly common in the workplace.

Workplace Insanity: Munchausen by Proxy in the Workplace

Would be interesting to talk to Finch/50/Switch/Doc's former coworkers/associates to see if they recognize this pattern.
    The older I get the better I was...

beater
    If it's an obvious hazard, why do you feel compelled to paint it?

It's the desert SW - ledges should be expected. If I'm not feeling sporty, I'll scout a drop or ledge so I know what I'm about to commit to (or not). Blindly riding off a ledge right in front of you without the necessary ability is user error.

Meatbomb
    To answer the original question- Not concerned at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    k2 thanks for the Intel about that hazardous spot on the Slim Shady trail. I was able to get pictures of the helmet that protected the injured rider. Thank god he wasn't one of
    those guys that ride around Sedona with no helmet.

Now that we have discussed this hazard location what do you think the easiest way the unknowing riders could be informed the safest route to ride by the hazard?
    So aside from slowing down, would a full face helmet have helped?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IPA tester
    The one positive thing for everyone to get out of this important thread is that falling hurts so don't fall. Carry on peoples

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

no batteries required
    What I get is that Sally, er Trail, whoops insguy, I mean SwitchDoctor is going to cement his legacy with a handicap ramp on every trail in Sedona.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What I get is that Sally, er Trail, whoops insguy, I mean SwitchDoctor is going to cement his legacy with a handicap ramp on every trail in Sedona.
    lbs the purpose of the thread is to bring awareness to the mountain bike community that for only "50 cents" some unsuspecting mountain biker could be saved from being paralyzed. I wonder how many paralyzed people wish they had a warning before their life changing injury? Anyone have a close friend who is paralyzed, that you could ask?

no batteries required
    lbs the purpose of the thread is to bring awareness to the mountain bike community that for only "50 cents" some unsuspecting mountain biker could be saved from being paralyzed. I wonder how many paralyzed people wish they had a warning before their life changing injury? Anyone have a close friend who is paralyzed, that you could ask?

Your quaint parables do not alter the fact that everything that we do is a calculated risk and we do not require you to do risk assessment/prevention for any of our collective outdoor pursuits. In other words, stow it, it's beyond stale.

Meatbomb
    50cents.
    Grab your rattle can and go paint the warning markers you want and shut up. Maybe you'll get a permanent ban this time. And jail time.

Have fun 50.

Meatbomb
    Anyone have a close friend who is paralyzed, that you could ask?
    Yes, I do. She was paralyzed in a car accident. Too bad she was not warned that the drunk approaching the intersection she was about to drive thru was going to run the light and t bone her.

Someone should have painted lines on the street to warn the drunk he was approaching an intersection.

Shut up about it.

IPA tester
    Yes, I do. She was paralyzed in a car accident. Too bad she was not warned that the drunk approaching the intersection she was about to drive thru was going to run the light and t bone her.

Someone should have painted lines on the street to warn the drunk he was approaching an intersection.

Shut up about it.
    Unfortunately, I have about the same story as above^^^^ Add in he was a 2 times deported Illegal, killed my best friends brother and his friend has been paralyzed from the waist down for 43 years now. There are signs telling them to not cross the border, signs not to drink & drive, red light signals, and all that didn't stop the damage

SwitchDoc502- please Shut up about it already.

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

IPA tester
    Trying to come near the end of this hot mess on a positive note so I'd like to ask a important question to you all:

I'm cooking up some ribs and chicken over the weekend. Does anyone have some great dry rub recipes you can share? Any cooking tips will be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend!!

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What I learned from this thread......
    It's getting hot out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Do any of you guys know the guys who ride the 4 wheel mountain bikes at Whistler Mountain Bike Park? It would be interesting what they would say about if they were warned before their accident?

I also have a friend his nick name is Four Wheel Fred. Fred has been a paraplegic since he was fourteen. He was involved in a teenage car accident. He and a bunch of young friends crashed going 100 miles per hour.

Fred was thrown trough the front windshield as the car rolled down the roadway. He ended up pinned under the front hood. When he friends tried to PULL him out from being pinned to the ground they broke his back.

Fred fortunately came from a very wealthy family. He also was a VERY MOTIVATED person. He became a very successful salesperson. He still loves cars and flying. We use to rent planes and fly all over California. I let him fly the plane and he would have made a great pilot. He was a natural at flying.

Being paralyzed has taken its toll on his body. He has been hospitalized many times with kidney issues. He has spent over a year in the hospital. He is one of the best person's in the whole world.

I am sure if I asked him would you like to not been on the young teenage car rides he would say HELL YES.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-img_7675.jpg  

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-img_7676.jpg  

slower than you

Requisition: Safety Signage Needed

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-img_4858.jpg
    Warning: Chicanes - Line of sight may be impaired. Use brakes to avoid head-on collision

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-13316852_10153723298678123_2116304096866047257_o.jpg
    Warning: Soft shoulder - Traction may be compromised

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-11402709_10153030971413123_4192220350883411926_n.jpg
    Warning: Obey speed limits. High speeds may result in injury to self or others

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-11392801_10152986018683123_3936005470073769369_n.jpg
    Warning: Soft tread - Retain optimal speed to maintain forward momentum

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-11220073_10152917054468123_5422450586284203526_n.jpg
    Warning: Watch for falling objects - May cause death or dismemberment

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-10982351_10152757843233123_7013798681882910001_n.jpg
    Warning: Sharp objects may cause puncture wounds to body and tires

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-10362621_10152559985258123_4442287754521959990_n.jpg
    Warning: Loose rock - Traction may be compromised

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-10802077_10152546142623123_4788590494938517066_n.jpg
    Warning: Poor line of sight - Use brakes to avoid head-on collision

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-1545048_10152609516698123_3097383940123286591_n.jpg
    Warning: Loose tread - Traction may be compromised

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-1800414_10152471411368123_3519738188508923887_n.jpg
    Warning: Steep trail - Always use lower gears

How Concerned Are You About A Hazard That  Could Seriously Injure Someone?-10885194_10152606348508123_6307930325974828667_n.jpg
    Warning: Trail may be icy in spots - Traction may be compromised
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast