mtbr member

Houston Trail & Houston Loop Trail - Payson, AZ

My buddy and I went up to Payson and rode "Houston Trail" and some of "Houston Loop Trail". If you're up there or want to get out of the heat, I'd recommend trying them out! I'm a beginner/intermediate, so you hardcore guys might get bored, though, the awesome views are worth it! Total is ~7mi with some fun speed sections and bank turns! I'll put some photos in my gallery.

Here is the listing I created.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I rode Houston Mesa Trail, or loop on moto there about 6 weeks ago. It was fun 2 track with some good berms and fun wide ruts. We got into it from the Star valley side. It was more than 3 miles. Might be a little different than what you are talking about. I hear there is some good ST up there, but not enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    It was more than 3 miles. Might be a little different than what you are talking about.
    If you do the whole thing (both trails) it's ~7 miles from the trailhead itself. The "Houston Trail" leads to the "Houston Loop Trail" we learned. They are technically two separate trails. We saw 10+ turn-offs that were well-developed, so I'm sure there are tons of other ways in/out of the system.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    Or you could drive 30 minutes further up 87 and do the cabin loop, which has Houston Brothers. Around 28 miles of mostly singletrack and at 7200' elevation :-)
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Or you could drive 30 minutes further up 87 and do the cabin loop, which has Houston Brothers. Around 28 miles of mostly singletrack and at 7200' elevation :-)
    We were up there to look around and just winged it. Our friend up there didn't have a way to get his bike around. His family lives up there and he didn't drive, so we had to stick around town. Turned out nicely, though. I definitely want to explore more. I'll take that into consideration for next time. Thanks!
    2012 Giant Talon 1