mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Horses on the Mtn Bike trails in AZ

I've gotta a question for some of you trail activist.

Theres a local group of us working with the local BLM field office on improving, maintaining, and promoting our trail system here in Havasu, AZ.

Ive never seen horses on most big name Mountain Bike trails areas Bootleg Canyon, Mt. Elden, Prescott, etc., recently ive noticed a lot of them on our local trails here in Havasu. How do you handle this elsewhere? Just deal with it? Desiginate certain equestrian areas? Thanks for the feedback.
    Aaron Boatman
    Lake Havasu City

Local Rides AZ stuff

FACEBOOK

Pivotal figure
    Most of the legal trails here re designated as "multi-use" meaning horses, hikers and bikes.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Like Ken said, the trails are multi-use. Up here, some horse riders are a big part of what started/helped build the BCT. Try getting to know the horse groups and working with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    305 out by Lynx lake in Prescott is designated no horses. You can tell, the soil is really tight, no fluff like here in Camp Verde.

But I guess I look at them as the original trail blazers. Greenies would rather ban everyone but hikers if they had their way, so I don't want to slide down that slope.

There should still be room in this vast state for some horse free trails. Can we get rid of the hikers too hahaha? I'm tired of them jumping out of their boots when I sound off!!!!

Victim of Saddle Rage
    The equestrians are a small but important group as they often do trail work and remove trash along the way. The crazy greenies are trying to get them out of all wilderness areas and ban them from their sacred walking grounds, so it is important that we work together to keep the trails open.

Most of the riders are also really good people and deserve fair trail access like every other group. I am a huge fan of multi-use trails. When it comes to trail building though, you really need their input, since equestrians may prefer better bridges, stable soils, and by-pass trails around the crazy slickrock downhills that we mountain bikers love.

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    The equestrians are a small but important group as they often do trail work and remove trash along the way. The crazy greenies are trying to get them out of all wilderness areas and ban them from their sacred walking grounds, so it is important that we work together to keep the trails open.
    What about wild horses? Do the greenies want to kick the mustangs out of Arizona?

Pretty much all of the horse-folk I've ran into have been very nice - the only real downside are the post-holes that sometimes get left behind from wet conditions. But, those get filled in or smoothed on some of the well maintained trails, it seems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks guys for the input. I was riding the normal trail dogging shovels full of horse crap, wondering what happened to my hardpack dirt. I guess this is just something i'll have to deal with. Better than a bunch of quads or something i guess.
    Aaron Boatman
    Lake Havasu City

Local Rides AZ stuff

FACEBOOK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stand-up-pride
    Thanks guys for the input. I was riding the normal trail dogging shovels full of horse crap, wondering what happened to my hardpack dirt. I guess this is just something i'll have to deal with. Better than a bunch of quads or something i guess.
    Time for fenders.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Master Gardener
    The horse folks are always really nice when we run across them here (unless you're on the road and they're behind the wheel in their big trucks with trailers... not always so nice).

There is no doubt that they tear up trails. Here in Prescott, they can turn any trail into a sandbox in no time flat. In fact, I'd say they're on-par with quads in terms of their impact.

However, they have the money and they have precedence here. You can't force them out and even if you could, like others have said, that's a very slippery slope. Where you find horses denied access, mtn bike access is soon to follow.

What's worked well around here is to simply do what you can to increase mtn biking traffic on a trail; the increased traffic tends to run off the equestrians and force them to use the trails they've already damaged. When 396 was first opened here, horses were on it pretty regularly. We started riding the heck out of it and now you'll only see hoof prints now and then, but rarely run across any horses. And the trail is buffed out hardpack as a result.

At the end of the day, they've got the money, they've got the volunteers (though I've never seen any out) and here in Preskit, they had the backing from the Forest Service. You have to choose your battles, I suppose. And these are just good folks like us trying to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. We have much in common with them, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Every Thursday we ride the local Prescott trails dressed in mountain lion suits while screaming, "rooooar......roooooar!" That keeps the horses off until the next Thursday.

I'm pretty vocal about my dislike for POOR horse back riders. It isn't about access, it's about impact. Here in Prescott, conditions are delicate and it doesn't take much to hose up trails with one pass of a horse. I understand the horse back community is losing turf, but up here, they haven't done much to contribute to the health of the trails, but have sure made some dents.

Honestly, there's nothing you can do if the trail is multi-use. In Prescott, we have a simple tactic....we ride as often as possible as Velokid stated..

I did speak to one member of our local horse back club (been around since the 30s) and they said some horsemen intentionally punch holes in trails in the early spring to ward off mountain bikes. It's like a cold war between wheels and horses. Every area is different. I get a little ticked when I see horse divits all over a trail because some jackazz couldn't wait two more days after a big rain to go out with Old Buck on my favorite singletrack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    sounds like the problem is pretty common else where. I've been working on a map like the one in my signature, but im almost afraid of them getting ahold of it and running down more trails. Rain in Havasu is an oxymoron. So keeping the trails packed is tough, but if they helped with our cause of trying to get a trail system going i think id understand a little better.

Oh yea whats up with dog owners having to pack in pack out but if its a horse he/she can crap anywhere and everywhere.
    Aaron Boatman
    Lake Havasu City

Local Rides AZ stuff

FACEBOOK

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by stand-up-pride
    Oh yea whats up with dog owners having to pack in pack out but if its a horse he/she can crap anywhere and everywhere.
    no joke... grass doesn't mean its not there.