Thread: Hope Brakes

mtbr member

Hope Brakes

Can anyone recommend a good place for service on Hope brakes? I have a set of M4's that need to be bled and possibly have a line replaced.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Can anyone recommend a good place for service on Hope brakes? I have a set of M4's that need to be bled and possibly have a line replaced.

Thanks!
    Um... I would say Performance Bike for sure...

Tip: Find a place that sells pads and lines for Hopes, and they can probably do the service, its not rocket science.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Rage...that's pretty much the only brakes they carry and service.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Yup, Rage sells a lot of Hopes and probably can fix them up. Cactus doesn't sell the brake sets, but sells the pads and Goodridge lines for them.

Too many Sedonuts...
    +1 for Rage. Slippery Pig will service them too.

Funny, my M4's just started barely leaking. Time for a seal replacement...because you can do that on Hopes...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Cool, thanks. That's the answer I was looking for.
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Shovel Ready
    Just a note there are Hope M4's and Mono M4's. Told Curley I needed some pads for my M4's and got the wrong pads, as I have the Mono M4's. Nothing special to bleed these brakes. DOT3 in the cylinder and break the bleed fitting loose while pulling in on the lever. Tighten before releasing the lever. Don't let the reserve get low on fluid and you should be fine. I actually have the Hope bleed kit and have never used it. The bottle is nice to catch the fluid coming out the Zerk, but a large rag works also. You do want to be careful not to get the fluid on the frame or any other painted item.

Rage does have lots of Hope items. Even the little clips to hold in the brake pad retaining pin, as I always drop one on the floor and can never find it again.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Just a note there are Hope M4's and Mono M4's. Told Curley I needed some pads for my M4's and got the wrong pads, as I have the Mono M4's. Nothing special to bleed these brakes. DOT3 in the cylinder and break the bleed fitting loose while pulling in on the lever. Tighten before releasing the lever. Don't let the reserve get low on fluid and you should be fine. I actually have the Hope bleed kit and have never used it. The bottle is nice to catch the fluid coming out the Zerk, but a large rag works also. You do want to be careful not to get the fluid on the frame or any other painted item.

Rage does have lots of Hope items. Even the little clips to hold in the brake pad retaining pin, as I always drop one on the floor and can never find it again.
    What is the difference between the M4 and Mono M4?
    These came stock on my GT.
    It was stolen, then recovered from a tweaker. Not sure what he did, but there is no fluid in the rear brake anymore. Didn't notice any leaks or paint damage, which you would expect from that big a leak. The front brake is fine.

The spec's for my bike just say "Hope M4 brakes".

Shovel Ready
    Older M4 pads

Newer Mono M4

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

sixsixtysix
    What is the difference between the M4 and Mono M4?
    These came stock on my GT.
    It was stolen, then recovered from a tweaker. Not sure what he did, but there is no fluid in the rear brake anymore. Didn't notice any leaks or paint damage, which you would expect from that big a leak. The front brake is fine.

The spec's for my bike just say "Hope M4 brakes".
    Mono just refers to the caliper being one piece, which yours are with the gold outboard piston caps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Mono just refers to the caliper being one piece, which yours are with the gold outboard piston caps.
    So mine are the Mono's.

Ok, good to know.

On a side note, the GT was fun this weekend.
    Except for switchbacks. Its like a Greyhound bus, its so long.
    But they are still doable. Very stable in the air.

caninus xerophilous
    The Hope bleed kit makes bleeding a breeze as its pressurized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    The Hope bleed kit makes bleeding a breeze as its pressurized.
    I was considering getting the bleed kit. But since I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with the brake, I need to bring it to Rage anyways.

Thanks for the info!

caninus xerophilous

Thats how I learned.

I was considering getting the bleed kit. But since I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with the brake, I need to bring it to Rage anyways.

Thanks for the info!

When I rehosed to Goodridge. An excellent and DIYish upgrade.

my knees hurt
    I have Hopes bore cap removal tool if anyone ever needs to borow it for a bore cap seal replacement....Iknow it works on the mono caps, not sure about the previous models though....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks!
    these are one of the easiest to work on, sure you don't want to try yourself? no bleed kit needed

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Um... I would say Performance Bike for sure...

mx