Binge Rider

Hookin' Up w/ Sierra Vista Please?

Just moved to Sierra Vista and looking to hook up and see what's out there. I would really appriciate someone meeting me and showing me around or shooting some info on group rides. I plan on hitting Sun Spokes and M&M too. Hook me up of you can. BTW, my bike won't be here until around the 1st of NOV. Thanks. Spine Shank
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Shank, I live in Bisbee, but I also ride a lot in the SV area, which has some really good riding. The best way to get a handle on it is to have a local guide to show you around. The guys at M&M Cycling(insert sponsor plug here) are a good source of info, as well as Shane S. from Sun-N-Spokes. Shane runs the Dawn to Dust MTB club, which usually has a lot of rides for newer riders. If you like to hammer or do all day epics(and don't mind riding with a bunch of singlespeeders), shoot me a PM when you get your bike here, and I'd be happy to drag you all over and around the Huachucas. Where are you coming from? This area is pretty rocky(along with the rest of the state)and sometimes people from non-rocky states have problems riding here until they get used to it. There is also good road riding here, if you're into that sort of thing.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Binge Rider
    Thanks for the reply and advice. This forum is really nice and organized really well. I'll hit up M&M and Sun Spokes hopefully today but I would like to hook up with the Single Speeder crowd too, so maybe I'll shoot you a PM later on and take you up on your epic suffering. I do like going out for long rides so no worries there. Although it's hot as hell already from where I'm coming from.

Good tip on the rocks. I'm coming from Germany where it's totally different riding and not too rocky. So that may take some time to adjust too but I'm up for it. I rode Lake Garda, Italy for 5 days and that was nothing but rocks but one trip certainly doesn't make me a pro. Driving around in the mountains and scouting I can tell that it's very rocky and different.

What kind of tires are work the best around here? I ride Kenda Nevegals with Stan's No Tubes sealeant on a UST rim. Is there something better? I am on a Specialized Enduro S-WORKS with 5" of travel front and back and fairly light @ 28lbs considering a full suspension rig. I am surprised that SS are so popular here given the terrain and steepness. I have one on my wish list for Christmas so maybe I can join the club then. Thanks for the time. Spine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hot?!

Just be glad you're not in Tucson or Phoenix! They both average ten to fifteen degrees hotter than Vista in the summer(but it's a dry heat ). We usually only see mid 90's during the hottest part of the year, the rest of the year the weather is great, and we even get a little bit of snow to play in on the trails from time to time. As for tires, it's mostly personal preference, but I'd reccomend running something with a tough sidewall. Some kind of sealant(like Stans) is also reccomended in your tires for thorns, cactus, etc.

As far as the SS thing goes, five years ago I wouldn't have thought I could ride one around here either, but damn, they sure are addictive! Don't worry, we will convert you!

Oh yeah, what size bike do you ride? Maybe we can rustle you up a loaner till Nov. A month is a long time without a bike to ride. I'd be ready to kill someone if I couldn't ride for a month while I was healthy!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Binge Rider
    Wow, Thanks for the generosity! Unfortunately / Fortunately, I am just found my house and now I am off for a mini vacation to burn some time until my furnniture and bike do arrive. I'll be back around the the first week of Nov and everything hopefully will be waiting for me then. But thanks for the kind offer / idea. I'll be in touch then. BTW, both M&M and Sun Spokes were really cool with lots of help and info. Spine