Vitamin Bike Added

Holy Grail of Tubeless Set Up?

While perhaps this is already common knowledge for my MTB forebears, I am excited to share a recent discovery I've had with setting up my Tubeless rigs (ghetto w/gorilla) or UST in a 'snap', literally. Until today I have always used my air compressor (a pathetic 3 gallon) in an effort to inflate though the presta valve repeatedly, more often then not running out of air reserve before the bead would set. Typically I found especially trying or seat an older or NON UST tire on a rim it would take numerous attempts to set the bead. Today I tried something new, I removed the valve core and with the same presta adapter for my air compressor, inflated the tire directly through the open valve stem which multiplied air volume and inflation rate by a huge margin and had the bead set in a single try. Not sure why I'd never tried that before but WOW does it work well. Clearly the tire will want to rapidly deflate but with the bead set, the worst of your battle is over. You can even place a finger over the valve until you can screw the core back in a save some inflation.
    You all may already know if this trick but thought I would share for those who don't.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club, tubeless just got even more awesome for you!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    some sweet stuff about rainbows and unicorns...
    go get em noob

Give it a crank
    That might work for most setups, but wide rims take a big blast of air to seat the tires and sometimes that's not enough.

Also, with all that airflow going into the stem, you need to make sure it's not aimed straight down where the pool of Stan's sits inside the tire. I did this once and never got it wrong again after spending 30 mins. cleaning up the f-ing mess then taking a shower. There might still be traces of Stan's somewhere on my eyeglasses. You've been warned!

No Clue Crew
    Now switch to man-sized rims that take a Schraeder valve and you've got some airflow! Fairly often I still have to take the core out of the Schraeders. But, like you said, plug it with your finger and then slip in the valve. I can still keep 15-20 psi in the tire while doing this. But, like mtn-rider said, you will sometimes get the money shot right in your face

Pivotal figure
    You also need to be careful not to overinflate the tire and blow it right off the rim. We have a cool rig at the shop but it's totally capable of doing just that. Nothing like trying to get that hose off and let some air out with a tire that's so tightly inflated it's "pinging" and crackling
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

My other ride is your mom
    You will attain enlightenment once you can do it with a presta, valve in, with your hand/floor pump. Seriously....I have not used a compressor in over a year.......it can be done, but it's like flying IFR....there are a lot more rules.

No Clue Crew
    I'm so itching to move to real UST rims. Would make life so much easier. No leaking spokes and that channel to hold the bead in certainly must make it a cinch to seal up.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Mike, yeah I've decided to stay away from ghetto at this point, I have finite time and pick my bike tech battles elsewhere. I fine with ust rims you can even seat non ust tires if you lay the Stan's on thick. It was seating a non ust tire on my ust rims that inspired this thread.

No Clue Crew
    Yeah, if I had the cash for a decent set of UST rims I'd have 'em. But, at the time, Outlaws were all I could afford.

Vitamin Bike Added
    It's hard to believe it should be that much harder to machine a tubeless rim to warrant such a significantly higher price tag eh?

No Clue Crew
    There's nothing you can do to convince me UST is more expensive to make. They have the corner on the market and know they can charge more. Patents are good for that

Sent from my Thunderbolt via TapATalk 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Who knew inflating a tire could be so fvcking difficult?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Patents are a biatch. I can't believe the patent could be on the whole tubeless design (not spoke openings/ access points through surface but rather for the specific head design UST uses. In most industries you'd never be able to make a patent that broad (all tubeless configurations)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stans rims work just fine. With lots of non ust tires, at low pressures, reliably. They also use normal, not proprietary spokes. Rims that are not made to be run tubeless suck in a tubeless conversion pretty much all the time. UST rims are meant to use UST tires only. They are also meant to be run without sealant.
    Use soapy water from a spray bottle on the bead to set up ANY tubeless tire. Helps to seal and lubricate the bead upon initial inflation.