I am Bob

Holy crap new wheels!

I keep trashing rear hubs and and sick of having to get them rebuilt. this is the 2nd time in 6 months that my XT rear hub has had issues, and I want some bomb proof wheels/rims.
    I have a history of buying mediocre parts and I'm trying to break the hablt.

I will be putting the new wheels on my El Mariachi and want to run them tubeless. I ride the el mariachi like an all mountain machine and strength and low maintenance is the priority.

I'm considerining the wheels below. they seem like a good price, but am also considering WTB rims set up ghetto with some fancy hubs.

EDIT: 29" rims necessary http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/products_id/345

Please advise...
    1. Hope hubs, seem lighter than King. Are they as strong?
    2. Are Stans Rims tough enough?
    3. Quein es mas Macho? Ricardo Maltoban o CactusJoe?

******ed or Branded??
    hadley hubs (more for DH) with mavic 819 max tire is (2.35)or for total bomb proof and don't care for weight go mavic 823's. DT Swiss enduro wheels set is awsome and new and improved ex1750. Super bling and also durable is the I9 wheels set. Heard that they are bomb proof.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Please advise...
    1. Hope hubs, seem lighter than King. Are they as strong?
    2. Are Stans Rims tough enough?
    3. Quein es mas Macho? Ricardo Maltoban o CactusJoe?
    1) I have hopes laced to Stan's flows on my 29er. Bombproof rear so far (3 months) but the front has a little miniscule amount of play from the cartridge bearing. Not a big deal, but I don't think there is anything I can do about it. They do sound cool though. At the end of the day though I have a feeling that while they are better than most, they will not hold up as long as a King or Hadley.

2) Yes.

3) Duh. Look at this weakling:

When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

parenting for gnarness
    I have Flows on my Blur. Possibly overkill, but I ride it a lot like you ride your hardtail. They are still tough and true after 1 year on Hawes, the McDowells, BCT, the Crazy 88 through Flag and Walnut Canyon, Helipad, TOWM, Gangi's T100 sufferfest etc. Rear hub is a King, front is DT swiss 340. I dunno much about hubs.

They are prolly a bit heavier than needed, definitely heavier than the Archs. But I think you want a little burlier ride since you are hitting so much of Somo on that bike. I wanted reliable and low-maintenance.

The wheels are ready to go tubeless. I have not had any problems with mounting etc on them, but, I have not had to do much work on them in general since they don't take National-esque abuse. The removable valve cores on the Stan's rims are a nice feature. My wheels were laced by Adventure, and Bill told me the eyelets on those rims are a little different requiring heavier nipples - one things NoTubes seems to do to shave their listed weight. A few times a spoke has just gotten crazy loose - 30 seconds to fix, but important to check regularly.

mtbr member
    I was the king of killing rear hubs. I toasted 7 in 8 months.

I made the switch to Hadley's. once they got past the bearing issue and dropped to the 72 point engagement......problems solved.

crazy light for the ablity to race DH on them, super fast engagement, half the price of a King.

They do require wierd tools for maintence, but Rage has been able to service them for me.
    b

mtbr member
    I 3rd the vote on Hadleys. High engagement which the hopes do not have. If you like to ratchet in techy stuff it does make a difference.

The don't, however, require fancy tools to service. It's pretty easy. All you need is a 21mm cone wrench and a Park Red spanner. When I called Hadley to see what oil or lube they preferred for the freehub body they said they would just send me some. I said cool and lo and behold not only did they send a bottle of teflon lube but also new seals and an extra pawl and spring

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No recommendations on 29er rims, but I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with King hubs. Yes, they're expensive, but I can have them laced and never think about them again, which is worth it in my book.

I hear the Hadley is just as nice and the Hope perhaps a small step down, but no firsthand experience.
    c

My Hope Pro II ss/trials is over two years old, I've done almost all my riding in that time on it. The cassette body is a bit chewed up, but otherwise it's as good as new, with no maintenance needed (the bearing seals are really good).

Stans Arches are good rims.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by brianc

I made the switch to Hadley's. once they got past the bearing issue and dropped to the 72 point engagement......problems solved.

crazy light for the ablity to race DH on them, super fast engagement, half the price of a King.

They do require wierd tools for maintence, but Rage has been able to service them for me.

Hadley - Flows no issues to date.

http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/hadleyoverhaul/
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Plus size jersey model
    I just put Hadley hubs with the old version of the 819 on my 575 and they are awesome. From doing research the seemed like the perfect fit for me. I had blown out 3 XT hubs this year and was fed up so I made the switch and couldn't be happier. Plus they Hadleys just sound so sweet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv4MPmLS6RM

AKA Sherrif Moe Gnarpiao
    I love my Hadley's and would recommend them to anyone. BUT WAIT, please do NOT disgrace these awesome pieces of machined brilliance by attaching them to a 29 inch rim.

JRA

mtbr member
    Love my I9 / Flow. Bulletproof on the SS for a year. My 240 / Arch also rolled great. I'm building a set of King / Flow for the SS. The Flow is definitely the ticket for the rocks we ride.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc

a red park spanner and 21mm cone wrench are all the hadley's need for basic service.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    hadley, no brainer.

Super strong.
    Lifetime warranty, called hadley on this to confirm.
    Any sized axle on hte hub, each axle kit is 50.
    Freehub is titanium or stainless, your choice.
    Price is cheaper than king. See dropnzone.com.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    flows with hope pro2's...preferrably built by Mikesee. BOMBPROOF. Ask Walt if you don't believe me.
    Yep, I've got MC Pro 2's to Flows on the SS...and I am a basher...Flows are beefier than Arches.
    Ride more; post less...

Fragile - must be Italian
    Hmmm....

I'm facing the same dilemma myself. Need some 29'er wheels and I am looking at all options...from skinny XC-type wheels to fatter AM wheels:

1) American Classic MTB350 29'er SS -- skinny 23mm rim but these have proven to be very durable and stiff (especially with the SS hub), appx 1700g
    2) Hope Pro 2 laced to Velicity Blunts -- 28mm rims, appx 2100g
    3) Hope Pro 2 laced to Stans Flows -- 28mm rims, appx 2200g
    4) Hope Pro 2 laced to Stans Arches -- 24mm rims, appx 1800g
    5) Sun/Ringle Charger 29'er -- 27mm rims, appx 2000g...Jeff (Monkeybutt) has these and has yet to break them, which is a big +
    6) Sun/Ringle Disc O Flea 29'er -- 23mm rims, appx 1800g
    7) DT-Swiss 340 29'er -- 1900g

I know I'm all over the place with these options. I've never had 29" wheels before, so I'm not sure what to look for. Rotating mass is not good in a 26" wheel...so is that mass magnified on a 29'er wheel? Obviously bigger wheels have more leverage to flex, so do you want to get a fatter rim and build up a beefy wheel (as opposed to skinny XC rims)? I'm pretty hard on my stuff...and crash a lot (as you all know)...so I need something that can take a beating....but I'm also not a clydesdale.

As far as brands/durability are concerned, I've had really good luck with WTB (American Classic), DT-Swiss, and Easton (Velomax)...but I hear the Hopes are really reliable as well.

The only thing I've ruled out are Mavics and Kings. Mavic hubs suck and Kings are too pricey for me. All of this bad talk about XT hubs is making me nervous about Shimano as well.

Bob - maybe you and I should go shopping together.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    been bashing rocks for over a year with my HADLEYS. have the 72 point engagement on the rear hub. my hoops aren't tubeless, but the DT swiss EX 510D rims have stayed true the whole time. hadleys are primo!

Occidental Tourist
    Phil Wood hubs. Mine have seen multiple loaded overnight trips and countless other abuses and they have yet to have any problems in the last few years.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    phil woods have got to be THE most durable... but they're solid steel!
    They had better be....