Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

A hole off bell pathway in Sedona!

Today I was out on a hike with my brother, my girlfriend, her 3 year old sister, and my 13 week old blue heeler on a trail off of bell pathway that I usually only see 1 to 3 other people in any single hike. I'm training my pup to hike off her leash so she can ride with me when she is older. I keep her leash with me and I always keep her on it while in town or even on busy trails. I rarely have a problem with her running up to people and when I do they are typically understanding and not threatened by my 10 pound puppy.

However, today I ran into a guy that really pissed me off. As we were hiking on this less traveled section I heard a bike approaching from the rear. I hollered at my dog who was 5 feet away to come, she freezed but did not come to me because she was scared of the bike. She was not in the center of the trail and although the biker slowed down, he did not have to stop for her. I said "sorry buddy" to which he replied, in front of my girlfriend and her 3 year old sister, "Get a F***ing leash!" For a second I was stunned that this fat turd would be so inconsiderate in front of my family and I reacted inappropriately by yelling some choice words after him. He gave me the finger. I wanted to run him down, which would not have been a big problem with this guy, but my girlfriend discouraged me from getting into a confrontation in front of a child. As always, she is the better of the two of us. When we got to the parking lot, i did a quick lap searching for him so I could tell him what a miserable human being he was, but he was gone. My girlfriend said that she though she saw him leaving in a black truck with tinted windows. It may not have been him, but it may have.

I write this mainly to vent but also to address this man on the off chance he will read this. Shame on you for having zero respect for the woman and the child I was with, and shame on you for being such a coward that you couldn't address me to my face. Try being a tough guy while looking me in the eyes. You are the only person I have ever encountered on that trail that was anything other than decent and polite. You are a miserable human, I feel sorry for anyone that has such a poor disposition towards life. Your life will be sad and lonely.

JohnniO
    Your dog training issues are not his issues. I'm sure he didn't appreciate being used as a dog training aid. He had no idea if your mutt was going to run under his wheels or not and you don't either. Of course your dog is a brilliant prodigy and would never do such a thing and this guy should have taken one look at you both and known this ?

GET YOUR $#@%@# DOG ON A LEASH ! (I used all caps so the kiddies can hear it)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    He wasn't a training aid, my dog wasn't in his way. And if he hit my dog how would that have injured him? Maybe where you're from people don't ride in the wilderness with their dogs. But it's good to know you take the side of the person who curses at women and children... another real man, another fine example of moral integrity. How about asking "get your dog on a leash" or "thats against the rules in this area, please watch your animal". But again, its prolly way easier and more effective to curse at a child, right? Sorry your daddy didn't love you JohnniO

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    I usually do not respond to comments about dogs, however when I run or bike the trails here in Flagstaff I believe owners should keep their dogs on a leash for two reasons. The first being that I have been bitten 4 times by dogs that were not leashed.These were not little nips either, in some cases my running or riding had to be stopped due to bleeding. In all these incidences the owners have said that their dogs have been trained (yeah right). The second reason being that I have had dogs chase and follow me for a long period of time. I then have to stop, turn around and lead the dog back to the owner because the dog has no idea where to go.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i was hoping this thread contained a pic of some sort of cool geological anomaly in the ground, ideally followed by cooler pics of bikes bunnyhopping said anomaly...

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    i was hoping to see a pic of some sort of cool geological anomaly in the ground, ideally followed by cooler pics of bikes bunnyhopping said anomaly...
    Judging by the posters inability to see how utterly in the wrong he is, this thread has potential fodder for a Monday morning wein pic thread
    Last edited by JohnniO; 08-19-2010 at 10:17 AM.

JohnniO
    one more

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    today i saw a family of woodchucks and none of them were on a leash. i thought they were going to carjack me.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    today i saw a family of woodchucks and none of them were on a leash. i thought they were going to carjack me.
    you said wood

livin' the dream......
    Rancid, the guy acted like an a-Hole with out doubt. But you have to admit if your dog was leashed when this guy rode by, you would have exchanged "hello's" in passing and life would have gone on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Rancid, the guy acted like an a-Hole with out doubt. But you have to admit if your dog was leashed when this guy rode by, you would have exchanged "hello's" in passing and life would have gone on.
    Agreed. I am not without fault for having my dog unleashed regardless of whether or not most the guys I ride with ride with their dogs. However, I did apologize and I would accept any polite comments the rider had offered. What I cannot tolerate was his needless disrespect for myself, and more importantly for those with me. To yell curses at a child is the greater fault, she could not understand why he had yelled at her. Disagreements between men should remain that way. I find it an interesting social commentary that this entire discussion is about leashes and that there are no critisisms for acosting women and children.

oooh, shiny...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if i was riding by an unleashed dog and i thought for a second it might be tempted to bite me, i'd use a nun as a human shield... adreniline > etiquette

JohnniO
    rancid,
    You should move to the child proofed side of the planet.

The only social comentary is you complaining about you braking the rules and getting your panties in a bunch because someone calls you out on it.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    now did this guy specifically call out the DOG for not being leashed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    rancid,
    You should move to the child proofed side of the planet.

The only social comentary is you complaining about you braking the rules and getting your panties in a bunch because someone calls you out on it.
    If a man cuts me off in traffic and I fire bullits into his car striking his child it is his fault for provoking it? Because that is an inflated example of your beliefs. What's the world like in black and white?

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    If a man cuts me off in traffic and I fire bullits into his car striking his child it is his fault for provoking it? Because that is an inflated example of your beliefs. What's the world like in black and white?
    ummm ok. Get your @#$%^& dog on a leash.

oooh, shiny...
    Why the hell not..

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    Why the hell not..

Ties in nicely to the black and white theme he requested..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ummm ok. Get your @#$%^& dog on a leash.
    Excellent rebuttle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ties in nicely to the black and white theme he requested..
    I have no argument for this. I concede defeat

My other ride is your mom
    why don't you give credit where credit is due......the dalmatian on the bike sent you over the edge.....be a man and admit it!

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    I have no argument for this. I concede defeat
    If you wont put your dog on a leash you should at least put a sweater on fido in case he gets lost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    why don't you give credit where credit is due......the dalmatian on the bike sent you over the edge.....be a man and admit it!
    It combined both sides of the problem. I believe it's the solution I'm looking for

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I agree that the choice of words when a child was present was not correct. On the other hand if you had your dog on a leash the situation would of been avoided.

Also, what choice words did YOU yell in front of the child and girlfriend?

Just out of curiosity after you rode and "did a lap around the parking lot," what did you plan to do? Give some more choice words in hope to pick a fight in front of the same child your trying to protect?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast