Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Boriqua Puneta
    Reputation: chtorres2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    178

    ... and if we just ... Hitting Flagstaff tomorrow?

    Thinking of going to Flagstaff tomorrow? No ****!!! Me too! Have a job with irregular days off? No ****!!! Me also!!! Im going to ride Little Bear Loop. Anyone interested and have a $20.00 for gas and a capable bike that wont break down in the middle of nowhere let me know. Im heading out at about 7:00-7:30 from Tempe Us 60 and Mill ave. My car has a roof rack so we're covered. Im not a great climber by any means so I wont be going in a fast pace but I wont be going to slow either. Im planning on doing an18 miler. Let me know. PM ur phone number if your interested. I always have Tuesday and wednesdays off so im looking for riding buddies. Ill check back in 1 hr.
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

  2. #2
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Coondog#77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    459
    I'm out for this trip but give me a couple of weeks and ill be willing to chip in for gas. That is if you think an SS will make it on little bear (its a climber). I'm at I-17 and Anthem way.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    Do yourself a favor and shuttle from the Shultz Y up to Snowbowl and ride the Aspen loop to the AZ trail all the way around to Shultz Pass and then continue on from there to what ever you like......or go up Dog Food to the Twisted Sister trail and then down Lower Moto to Easter Island and out. Either way you can't lose. The AZ trail down from Snowbowl I think is one of the best shreds in AZ right now, it's insane!

  4. #4
    Boriqua Puneta
    Reputation: chtorres2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    178
    Cool. Hopefully these trails will be ridable in a few weeks. I dont know when the snow season starts up there.
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    I dont know when the snow season starts up there.[/QUOTE]

    No one knows the answer to that one, it's weather.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ssamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    64

    Good job! gps or map route?

    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Do yourself a favor and shuttle from the Shultz Y up to Snowbowl and ride the Aspen loop to the AZ trail all the way around to Shultz Pass and then continue on from there to what ever you like......or go up Dog Food to the Twisted Sister trail and then down Lower Moto to Easter Island and out. Either way you can't lose. The AZ trail down from Snowbowl I think is one of the best shreds in AZ right now, it's insane!
    raisingarizona: this sounds awesome! do you have a gps file or map route? We have rode Elden several different ways but not like this. Looks like an unreal 12ish miles to SP. Heading up this Sunday, Thanks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13

    Flagstaff for a day

    Strong group from East Coast who love the user built classics in Sedona are wondering if Flagstaff is worth a day trip. We are not downhillers and prefer not to shuttle.
    Should we set aside a day from a 5 day trip for Flag or stay with what we know and love in Sedona?
    Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,044
    I personally think Flag is radically better riding than Sedona, but that's just me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13
    OK, great. Given what we enjoy riding south of Flagstaff what would you recommend?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tattoooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    341
    Anyone thinking of going up next week?

  11. #11
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    I am up in the verde and always looking for people to ride/shuttle with. Lets ride

  12. #12
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Coondog#77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by chtorres2 View Post
    Cool. Hopefully these trails will be ridable in a few weeks. I dont know when the snow season starts up there.
    It's hit and miss! The earliest snow I saw was three years ago in mid-Oct and it didn't stick long in town. Normally the heavy snows come late November. But not sure about on the trails.

  13. #13
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetWilcox View Post
    Strong group from East Coast who love the user built classics in Sedona are wondering if Flagstaff is worth a day trip. We are not downhillers and prefer not to shuttle.
    Should we set aside a day from a 5 day trip for Flag or stay with what we know and love in Sedona?
    Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.
    Absolutely! Totally different riding than Sedona but in a good way.

    AZ Trail is easy XC with spectacular views and flow. Lots of other good stuff. Now is perfect timing. Flag will not disappoint!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetWilcox View Post
    Strong group from East Coast who love the user built classics in Sedona are wondering if Flagstaff is worth a day trip. We are not downhillers and prefer not to shuttle.

    Should we set aside a day from a 5 day trip for Flag or stay with what we know and love in Sedona?

    Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.
    The weather is about as good as it gets. Warm days and brisk mornings. Dry weather for extended periods. Breezy winds in the afternoon.

    The summer rains ended almost a month ago and the trails are getting dusty again where the sun hits them directly -- otherwise the shady trails are still a bit tacky and firm.

    Suggestions: my favorite rides include loops using any of the following: Schultz, Sunset, Brookbank, Rocky Ridge, Little Bear, Secret, and the Arizona Trail. These are system trails marked with signs and are not "downhill" trails and do not require a shuttle. Mix and match to create your own personalized ride.

    -db-

  15. #15
    Boriqua Puneta
    Reputation: chtorres2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    178
    Im going to be heading up to flagstaff again the 16 or 17. Hopefully the weathers still nice. Totally do Flagstaff. Its probobly the best AZ has to offer!
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by ssamplin View Post
    raisingarizona: this sounds awesome! do you have a gps file or map route? We have rode Elden several different ways but not like this. Looks like an unreal 12ish miles to SP. Heading up this Sunday, Thanks!
    I do not. But........do it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    157
    My group of Canadian east coasters just got back from our week long trip down there. 4 days in Sedona 2 days in flag. could of easily split it up the other way. the only tiny disappointment in flag was the re route on lower Sultz. Tuesday we rode it in both direction. Awesome fast descent all the way to the bottom as usual. When back Friday and there is a higher line re route that wasn't as good as the original one.. would be cool if the kept the lower line open for going down and used the new higher line for climbing up but the low line was being blocked with huge rocks so I guess it will close permanently..

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13
    Interesting. What did you ride in Sedona and what trails would you recommend in Flagstaff? Is it easier to find the goods in Flag compared to Sedona. Any locals willing to show visitors some of your favorites on Saturday the 13th?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetWilcox View Post
    Interesting. What did you ride in Sedona and what trails would you recommend in Flagstaff? Is it easier to find the goods in Flag compared to Sedona. Any locals willing to show visitors some of your favorites on Saturday the 13th?
    In sedona we did so many loops, some of the names I remember are. Chuckwagon gunslinger, Aerie Girdner. Did some exposer type loop included High On The Hog.
    another was a 20 miler that started at Recycling center and enter Ridge Trail to Lemonade to Sketch Overlook to Sketch to Upper Ramshead to Secret Slickrock across the creek at Red Rock Crossing then up Cathedral Rock to the Easy Breezy Sleasies to Highline the old Buddha nBeach trail back across red rock crossing and up Stutz..

    I found Flag to be a little easier to navigate than sedona. Between having a local map with local intel (recommeneded routing) and a gps we made out great in both places.
    pm me for more detals if you like.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    Chance of snow in upper elevations I think around Thursday.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstick View Post
    ...the only tiny disappointment in flag was the re route on lower Schultz ...When back Friday and there is a higher line re route that wasn't as good as the original one.. .
    The lower track goes through the creek bed and semi-riparian zone. During wet periods riders are moving through flowing water. Over the past several years there have been a couple of Schultz Creek Trail re-routes to get the trail up higher and out of the creek bed.

    I was there Friday morning, too -- perhaps we even passed by each other.

    -db-

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    The lower track goes through the creek bed and semi-riparian zone. During wet periods riders are moving through flowing water. Over the past several years there have been a couple of Schultz Creek Trail re-routes to get the trail up higher and out of the creek bed.

    I was there Friday morning, too -- perhaps we even passed by each other.

    -db-
    Lots of people complain about the re routes when they are first put in place but once the tread is packed in it will be sweet. Some of the new sections that were done a couple of years ago are my favorite sections now. I hope most of the trail gets up on the hill and bench cut.

  23. #23
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    905
    Hey RA, I totally agree. I did a similar ride two weekends ago for my 50th birthday. Aspen loop to AZ trail over and then up Dog Food to Secret over to Schultz Tank, then back down AZ trail to Dog FooD, then rip down Dog Food and Schultz back tthe Y. Easy Shuttle. Very fast and flowy, just the right amount of tech here and there to keep is interesting. My new favorite route in Flag!


    GPS track on Everytrail

    Birthday Ride at EveryTrail
    EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Do yourself a favor and shuttle from the Shultz Y up to Snowbowl and ride the Aspen loop to the AZ trail all the way around to Shultz Pass and then continue on from there to what ever you like......or go up Dog Food to the Twisted Sister trail and then down Lower Moto to Easter Island and out. Either way you can't lose. The AZ trail down from Snowbowl I think is one of the best shreds in AZ right now, it's insane!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •