mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Highline Trail - Trailhead 260

So I read a lot of mixed reviews about riding this trail but have heard that the views are spectacular. I gave it a whirl and I think this was the first ride that Ive done where I despised mountain biking. This trail literally owned me. I have a pretty good size bruise on my right palm from going OTB, got lost cause the trail wasn't marked very well, had to HAB about 50-60% of it and when I bailed out to ride along the BeeLine highway back to the trailhead, I got a flat tire somehow. I will try to post some pics as the views were amazing but if anyone is thinking about trying to ride this trail, I would caution them. I have never been that frustrated on a bike before.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I plan to head up to flag and do the Arizona Trail that heads to snowbowl road. Hopefully that will be better than today.

mtbr member
    rode some of that yesterday, all the bushes with the thorns suck. You will love Flag compared to that place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's not an easy trail. It is one of my favorites though. Keep riding and working on your skills bag. Honestly the backside of HL can flow so good.

mtbr member
    Highline from Military Sink Hole to Christopher Creek and back used to be one of my Top 10 (20? 50?) favorites in AZ, haven't ridden it in a few years, need to get back up there. Then again, every trail is my favorite trail as long as I'm riding it.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    It's not an easy trail. It is one of my favorites though. Keep riding and working on your skills bag. Honestly the backside of HL can flow so good.
    Wrong highline This one is in Payson
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Highline from Military Sink Hole to Christopher Creek and back used to be one of my Top 10 (20? 50?) favorites in AZ, haven't ridden it in a few years, need to get back up there. Then again, every trail is my favorite trail as long as I'm riding it.
    Good section, but I probably haven't ridden it in a decade!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    When I rode it last year it had been over 15 years since I first put tires to it!! Coming down Military Sinkhole I went OTB & shattered the GPS I was borrowing, D'oh!! The rest of Highline to Christopher Creek was a blast, however the next 7 miles over to Horton Creek?? was incredibly draining, tons of downed trees, HAB & large babyhead sections. Highline is definitely a mixed bag of tricks depending on which section you're on. I'll be back.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth