Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

High Pollution Advisory tomorrow .Anybody pay attention to these and not ride?

EVERY time I make time and get on a roll with consistent riding ,these stupid things come up.Tomorrow, I was supposed to go to the MX track and put a couple hours in before work.They're only open on Wednesday's during the week,but the only other option mid week is shuttles...also only on Wednesday's .
    The Gods are aligned against me,cause they know,if I ever got in shape...well....stuff would happen...and..it wouldn't be nice,either.
    codafurnituredesign.com

My other ride is your mom
    No....I consider any hindrance to my true self to be "cross training"......

mtbr member
    I figure if I didn't ride due to the poisons in the air then I would just sit indoors. There I would eat poisonous things like processed food, drink coffee, soda and water. I would also breathe the constantly recirculated air that is full of pet dander, toddler stink, ammonia, formaldehyde and the rest. So- no, I don't pay attention to the air quality reports! LOL

I know it's bad- but you have to figure this: High Pollution advisories are many times due to particulate matter- which is soot, dust and pollen. When you moto or mtb you get plenty of dust and if you follow a twosmoke you get soot. So eff it-let's all ride and die together!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

I am Bob
    Go early before the morning rush. There will be less crap in the air then. The only air quality days I avoid if I know about it is the windy high particulate polution days. Riding in blowing dust irritates my nose and eyes something fierce. The high ozone days suck and everything, but I will ride during them.
    I figure that it cannot be worse than all the crap I sucked down will bike commuting in Chicago traffic before I moved here.

Kathleen in AZ
    Nah... when you look straight up there is no brown cloud! Some people claim to be affected on these high pollution days. Me? I feel no difference.

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Nah... when you look straight up there is no brown cloud! Some people claim to be affected on those day. Me? I feel no difference.
    +1 to that!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary View Post
    EVERY time I make time and get on a roll with consistent riding ,these stupid things come up.Tomorrow, I was supposed to go to the MX track and put a couple hours in before work.They're only open on Wednesday's during the week,but the only other option mid week is shuttles...also only on Wednesday's .
    The Gods are aligned against me,cause they know,if I ever got in shape...well....stuff would happen...and..it wouldn't be nice,either.
    My solution? Don't read the paper or watch the local news.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Problem is, like many similar types of exposure, the effects are cumulative and not acute. Often people dont realize or even know the damage until too late, like smoking. Does it mean there are no effects if you cant feel any effect?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    There's two ways of lookng at it. 1- You will breathe in tons of toxic particles that may cause cancer. 2- You will breathe in toxic particles that will strengthen your body and make it more resilient to cancer and other pollutant-caused illnesses.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Give it a crank
    Believe it or not, I'm more concerned about the effect air quality has on sunset photos than on my lungs. Sometimes the dirtier the air the better the sunset and I'll ride hoping to get some good shots of it. So bad air quality is actually a motivation to ride or at least get out and take a peek at the sky at sunset. It can't be worse than smoking any, now that's really bad for ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Believe it or not, I'm more concerned about the effect air quality has on sunset photos than on my lungs. Sometimes the dirtier the air the better the sunset and I'll ride hoping to get some good shots of it. So bad air quality is actually a motivation to ride or at least get out and take a peek at the sky at sunset. It can't be worse than smoking any, now that's really bad for ya.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air. I never thought I could feel so free-e-e.

Go enjoy life. Ride your bike tomorrow.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    ...I'm flyin away ...a wing and a prayer.

Who could could it beeee? Believe it or not ...............I'm goin to the track to ride in pollution,hope I don't die......it's just meeeeeeeeee.

(Yes,we're that old)
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    ...I'm flyin away ...a wing and a prayer.

Who could could it beeee? Believe it or not ...............I'm goin to the track to ride in pollution,hope I don't die......it's just meeeeeeeeee.

(Yes,we're that old)
    I had the PJ's- when I was nine!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    True- but where do we draw the line? Apparently the sunblock we have all been using and FDA approved does not work (Euros have known this for years) so we will have skin cancer in the future? Knees and hips take a beating on drops and crashes- replacements? Eyes are seared by the sun and filled with dust. then the fact that we are aging anyway and Jack Lalane was a freak- not a scientific experiment. And none of it matters when you wake up dead.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    He flew like I ride things on two wheels.
    Btw.went to Grindingstone mx track this morn.--Had fun.Left before I hurt myself or got heatstroke ..or pollutionitis.
    codafurnituredesign.com

No Clue Crew
    Not to be a jerk but I gotta admit I'm dumbfounded that anyone would see this advisory and think they shouldn't be outside. You're breathing the same air in your house. It just happens to be cooled by your AC unit. That warning is just gubment PR to get people to NOT drive thereby increasing the pollution.

Ignore that crap and ride as often as you can. Tomorrow you could get run over by a bus full of people that didn't want to drive due to the high pollution advisory...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    HTFU, oh and MX track? where was my invite?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Not to be a jerk but I gotta admit I'm dumbfounded that anyone would see this advisory and think they shouldn't be outside. You're breathing the same air in your house. It just happens to be cooled by your AC unit. That warning is just gubment PR to get people to NOT drive thereby increasing the pollution.

Ignore that crap and ride as often as you can. Tomorrow you could get run over by a bus full of people that didn't want to drive due to the high pollution advisory...
    HVAC systems have filters. I wonder how many of the people in this thread support/encourage smoking? Why or why not? Seems to be a lot of rationalization in this thread because this is where we happen to live.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I know what you mean... I like this one where it looks like you're really up in the mountains even though it's only at ~3000 ft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High Pollution Advisory tomorrow .Anybody pay attention to these and not ride?-photo.jpg  

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    HVAC systems have filters. I wonder how many of the people in this thread support/encourage smoking? Why or why not? Seems to be a lot of rationalization in this thread because this is where we happen to live.
    Sure, but it's not like an air filtration unit. Probably no better than a mask you'd buy at Home Depot for painting. I'm sure it's still plenty filthy air. And, we don't really have a choice outside of have fun or don't have fun.

I wonder if they have a similar thread in the CA forum about riding in LA during high pollution days (which is certainly EVERY day)?

mtbr member
    I do. Smoking, like mt biking, gives one the impression that they are "cooler than school."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidhucker View Post
    HTFU, oh and MX track? where was my invite?
    I didn't know you rode !
    HTFU?...I think I get the Fu part.....??
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Problem is, like many similar types of exposure, the effects are cumulative and not acute. Often people dont realize or even know the damage until too late, like smoking. Does it mean there are no effects if you cant feel any effect?
    +1 Exercise induced asthma due to 15 years of valley road/mtn riding.

Worth is...hells yeah and I rode for three this morning!

mtbr member
    I didn't know you rode !
    I think Ronnie can answer that for you:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I didn't know you rode !
    "Harden The F*ck Up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

and yes I do ride now, just been on single track so far. I need someone to show me the ropes at the track.

Edit, dam SkinnyTire beat me to it....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast