Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew

Bonking ... not feelin' well Hello Cheese Grater...

Had the whole park to myself... almost. Showed up at 5a right as the ranger was unlocking the joint.

Made my way down 8 and through Medicine Wheel and where I would normally turn around and rejoin T100 I continued on south to meet up with 8. Took it through the beginning of Cactus Garden avoiding the Jumping Cactus lining the trail on both sides. Took the right off of 8 towards 1A and started my ride/hab up the lower Cheese Grater...

Finally reaching the "halfway" point where the nicely marked VOAZ trail shoots off to the right.

This is looking back the way I just came up lower Cheese Grater. It was A LOT of loose sh1t combined with step ups that I was usually able to get UP but not OVER. Frustrating as hell.

Finally, I reach the saddle on VOAZ and get ready for the descent back down to 1A. I was surprised by a couple hairpin switchbacks but after the first one the rest of them were cool. Definitely fun on the way down. Haven't decided if the work getting up it is worth it.

These are looking north towards the 40th St. parking lot...

These are looking south towards Squaw Peak...

And this is a little bench that, if I remember correctly, is on 1A as you begin your descent back down towards T100 and the Dreamy Draw parking lot. Another good place to rest.

All in all it was a very tough, but great ride. Cloudy almost all morning and stayed right around 86 the whole ride. The showers being dropped around the city helped keep the temps down and I'm glad 'cause that Cheese Grater was tough (and I didn't do the HARD part). Normally, I'd spend 5, maybe 10, minutes stationary during a ride of this length. I spent nearly 40 minutes resting this morning. Now, in my defense, a good deal of that was spent sitting at junctions and pulling out the map so I could ensure I was heading in the right direction. But, it was tough nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Might I suggest riding the VOAZ and lower cheese in the other direction??
    b

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    +1....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, riding UP lower cheese isn't much fun. Coming down VOAZ, however, is a blast. You've really got to pin it, though.

IMO, the better route if you want some tech is as follows: Start from Dreamy Draw, ride up 100, pick up 1A at the switchbacks, climb up Irregular, continue climbing/HAB up upper Hairball to the saddle. Then see how much of upper Cheesegrater you can clean down to the halfway point where VOAZ links up (as in your photos).

Then, climb up that small section to blast down VOAZ, linking back to 1A. For additional fun, come down the 1A switchback and, instead of taking 100 back to your car, hit the backside of the 220s.

I see you're riding a hardtail, though, so take the above with a couple grains of salt (unless you're one of those supremely gifted hardtail riders).

Grave9 and I will likely be riding this loop (or a similar variation) early Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    IMO, the better route if you want some tech is as follows: Start from Dreamy Draw, ride up 100, pick up 1A at the switchbacks, climb up Irregular, continue climbing/HAB up upper Hairball to the saddle. Then see how much of upper Cheesegrater you can clean down to the halfway point where VOAZ links up (as in your photos).
    So, it "Upper Cheesegrater" the HAB one would take to drop into Hairball from the east?
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Yeah, riding UP lower cheese isn't much fun. Coming down VOAZ, however, is a blast. You've really got to pin it, though.

Then, climb up that small section to blast down VOAZ, linking back to 1A. For additional fun, come down the 1A switchback and, instead of taking 100 back to your car, hit the backside of the 220s.

I see you're riding a hardtail, though, so take the above with a couple grains of salt (unless you're one of those supremely gifted hardtail riders).

Grave9 and I will likely be riding this loop (or a similar variation) early Friday morning.
    This route is fun.
    Just drop your seat, lean back and give 'er. All of that stuff is roll-able.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    So, it "Upper Cheesegrater" the HAB one would take to drop into Hairball from the east?
    I believe Upper Cheesegrater is the part that drops from the Bench to the VOAZ split...

I think the part that drops the other way from the Bench is just called Upper Hairball. Could be wrong though. Don't really pay attention to the names...
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Mmmm, far as I know the only ways onto Hairball are from the north(ish) on Irregular or from the south(ish).

The names are a little fluid out there. Think of it this way: Upper Cheesegrater is merely the portion of Cheesegrater north (up) from the regular Cheesegrater/VOAZ intersection. The termination is at the saddle where the two benches are. The north side of that runs down to Hairball proper. That's the section we've been calling Upper Hairball.

mtbr member
    Mmmm, far as I know the only ways onto Hairball are from the north(ish) on Irregular or from the south(ish).

The names are a little fluid out there. Think of it this way: Upper Cheesegrater is merely the portion of Cheesegrater north (up) from the regular Cheesegrater/VOAZ intersection. The termination is at the saddle where the two benches are. The north side of that runs down to Hairball proper. That's the section we've been calling Upper Hairball.
    Gottcha. That's what I'd been assuming, but your description above made me wonder . Plus, I cann't imagine anybody--or at least me--riding down the east (or southish) trail from Hairball. I have a hard enough time walking up that trail.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Honestly, it's easier to ride it than walk it.

mtbr member
    Honestly, it's easier to ride it than walk it.
    Upper Cheesegrater I agree. I was talking about the trail that heads UP to Hairball.

No Clue Crew
    You may... Lower Cheese down would be much funner than up. I'm not sure about VOAZ going up though. It wasn't as rough as Cheese Grater but it's a pretty long trek and mostly up.

Yeah, riding UP lower cheese isn't much fun. Coming down VOAZ, however, is a blast.
    Man, you guys are killing me... Every time I hear someone say "this or that ain't bad" or "it's better than this other" someone chimes in with "that's not fun."

Honestly, though, it wasn't too bad minus the couple step ups I couldn't complete and the final 20 yards I just said "fukk it" and carried the bike.

Well, I don't know where the 1A switchbacks are; I saw irregular on my way past and wondered what it's story was; Going up the EASY part of Cheese Grater leaves me wondering if I even wanna tackle the HARD part... even if it is going down.

No, I wouldn't call myself gifted on a hardtail.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The 1A switchbacks are just past the bench in your photos that run back down toward 100.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    You may... Lower Cheese down would be much funner than up. I'm not sure about VOAZ going up though. It wasn't as rough as Cheese Grater but it's a pretty long trek and mostly up.

Man, you guys are killing me... Every time I hear someone say "this or that ain't bad" or "it's better than this other" someone chimes in with "that's not fun."
    Everybody was expecting you to go DOWN cheese grater. It's not bad down (its all mental, you just have to pull the trigger) but is a challenge going up (actually requires skill not just balls). Do whatever you enjoy though!

mtbr member
    it matters not which direction you ride. Just that you RIDE! explore. find out for yourself.

I hope it comes across that that is my intension in this discussion. I actually am stoked to hear of your passion in going out and finding new trails and loops for yourself! *that* wonderful thing.

hopefully things will work out and we'll be able to impart some knowledge on each other on a ride some time.

keep the rubber side down and the cranks turning.
    b

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    Everybody was expecting you to go DOWN cheese grater. It's not bad down (its all mental, you just have to pull the trigger) but is a challenge going up (actually requires skill not just balls). Do whatever you enjoy though!
    Well, I figured I gotta get up it to go down elsewhere so never gave any thought to going around the back (west) side to come down. And, I didn't know which side of that saddle would be the easiest to climb. Now I know it's Hairball

It's all good, though. Like I said, it wasn't too bad. It was hella easier that fighting that last 50 yards of 8 to it's saddle on the back side of Sassy. I thought I was gonna die fighting that beetch...

No Clue Crew
    it matters not which direction you ride. Just that you RIDE! explore. find out for yourself.

I hope it comes across that that is my intension in this discussion. I actually am stoked to hear of your passion in going out and finding new trails and loops for yourself! *that* wonderful thing.
    Oh, I'm definitely getting that. I'm really happy that I found this place 'cause my whole experience riding PMP was 7th Ave to 32nd St (and been around Disneyland a couple times) and from the 40th St. parking lot going 40th -> 100 -> Zipper and back, sometimes heading over to Tatum.

JD showing me that map has made me wanna explore A LOT and figure which trails I like, which trails I hate, which trails I can handle, and which trails are harder than sh1t but I absofukkinglootely must conquer.

mtbr member
    I like going up the lower cheesegrater like the OP talks about. The uphill challenges push the VO of the lung and leg. Although my route continues down Voaz, up Irregular, Down Hairball, back up the next wash over (don't know the name of this one), down (and across)to the 1A/T-100 intersection, then either dork around 220 area or back to the 40th street parking lot via the B-line. Lots of Good Stuff @ PMP.
    U smellin' what the Skillet is cookin'?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeSkillet
    Although my route continues down Voaz, up Irregular, Down Hairball, back up the next wash over (don't know the name of this one), down (and across)to the 1A/T-100 intersection, then either dork around 220 area or back to the 40th street parking lot via the B-line. Lots of Good Stuff @ PMP.
    Gonna have to look at the Irregular/Hairball route...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just a word of advice, not knowing your skill level. Be careful with Hairball, you can get in over your head super-quick on that piece of trail. It's pretty technical.

mtbr member
    Just a word of advice, not knowing your skill level. Be careful with Hairball, you can get in over your head super-quick on that piece of trail. It's pretty technical.
    Yes, wear pads if you have them for Hairball.

Irregular is a good climb, not really tech, just a good leg burner.

No Clue Crew
    No pads but been looking at them, even though I don't do any crazy sh1t, for the same reason I'm always suited up on the crotch rocket...

OK, let's define technical... I'm having a tough time figuring out what I should try and not (obviously I just need to go and do it) but everyone has recommended going up Hairball and down Cheese Grater but now you're telling me that UP hairball is the tough part?

To me, technical is like Lower Cheese Grater but worse. And downhill.

Technical is not necessarily a big climb but lots of obstacles. Up might be technical but how dangerous can it be? Going up you are going slow. Baiil anytime. Going down you've got a lot of momentum and bailing is rarely as easy as clip out, stand up.

Like I said, I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see what I think...

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Yes, wear pads if you have them for Hairball.

Irregular is a good climb, not really tech, just a good leg burner.

X3! I've been getting a little cocky lately and didn't wear my knee pads today at Hawes and went down like a sack of potatoes on the access trail!!!!! I'll be wearing my pads for sure tomorrow AM on Cheese!!!!......Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    X3! I've been getting a little cocky lately and didn't wear my knee pads today at Hawes and went down like a sack of potatoes on the access trail!!!!! I'll be wearing my pads for sure tomorrow AM on Cheese!!!!......Drew
    On Cheese/Hairball, I wear pads, just because that terrain will shred you, even on a tiny fall.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    No pads but been looking at them, even though I don't do any crazy sh1t, for the same reason I'm always suited up on the crotch rocket...

OK, let's define technical... I'm having a tough time figuring out what I should try and not (obviously I just need to go and do it) but everyone has recommended going up Hairball and down Cheese Grater but now you're telling me that UP hairball is the tough part?

To me, technical is like Lower Cheese Grater but worse. And downhill.

Technical is not necessarily a big climb but lots of obstacles. Up might be technical but how dangerous can it be? Going up you are going slow. Baiil anytime. Going down you've got a lot of momentum and bailing is rarely as easy as clip out, stand up.

Like I said, I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see what I think...
    I can't imagine trying to ride UP Hairball. That is a trail you only take down.

I like to get to Hairball by way of Irregular Link (which is the first trail that shoots south on the 1A just past the 1A/100 split).

Going down Hairball is a challenge. And I don't mean just "hard". I mean break-your-bones-and-your-bike hard. Plenty of folks on MTBR have broken bones or damaged organs on that trail. It's a *****...fun...but a *****.

And when you get to the bottom of Hairball, you have 2 choices: (1) continue onwards up the 1A, which climbs a steep hill and then offers another gnarly drop, or (2) continue somewhat Northa and ride up to Bloody Knuckles, which is a pretty nasty little chute. Either way is fun. And either way offers plenty of challenge...and more places to break something.

Enjoy.

Thx...Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast