Thread: Hello all

mtbr member

Hello all

Greetings all,

I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. A little about myself- my name's Will, I work as a Firefighter in the Tucson area, and started mountain biking about a year ago.
    I've pretty much only biked in the Tucson area on a horrible HT 300$ bike. I went to Crested Butte, Co and Demo'd a FS Kona Hie Hie Hei and really enjoyed the full suspension and pretty much every other component on the bike. I think it's about time to buy a decent bike that I enjoy riding.

I know I'm new but a little advice from fellow Arizona mountain bikers would be much appreciated. I'm looking for a cross country full suspension bike that will last a long time in the price range of around $3,000. I'm 6'4 so I would really like it to be full suspension and a 29'er. I was looking at the specialized FSR comp or the kona hei hei.

Any feed back would be much appreciated and I look forward to becoming an active community member and hope to see you all on the trails.

Be Safe

Ahhh the pain....
    Welcome Will...there are a couple threads out there recently on this same subject but that Kona Hei Hei is a nice bike and a good deal. Might also check out Salsa Spearfish too. I know lots of people that ride both and do some amazing stuff on them.
    Please don't buy Specialized...although they are really great bikes, they are overpriced. You'll get more bike for your money with a Kona, Salsa, other smaller bike companies.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My friend,

Thank you for your feedback and response. I am sure a 'what bike should I buy' is a nuisance as I'm sure there is a area to ask those types of questions on this forum. My intent was not to be a nuisance but to ask fellow arizona mountain bikers in hopes they would have some insight into some shops that may be offering some deals on some bikes that may fit what I want to buy.

In any case, I'm surprised to hear you say I would get more out of a smaller company. When comparing the Hei Hei ($2500) to the Stumpjumper ($3000) I found that the Hei Hei has a rockshox front fork that sells for about $500-600 whereas the stump jumper has a fox front fork that sells for ~$800.
    Again, I still consider myself new so I'm not sure what to compare. I will take your advice and check out the companies you have recommended.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    look slightly used - never rode the kona - aren't they more of AM geometry?? and kind of heavy? , demoed the stumpjumper for a weekend (over 100 miles) and itwas way too squishy for me, loved pivot 429 and santa cruz tallboy is da $hit - they just came out with a new model so the old models should be becoming available at a discounted price.. for example

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy R XC Large | eBay

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by willeh View Post
    My friend,

In any case, I'm surprised to hear you say I would get more out of a smaller company.
    Welcome to mountain biking.....welcome to riding in AZ......and welcome to the world of competing standards.....and in come cases, proprietary "standards"......tread lightly where you spend your money....big companies can subsidize costs by offering a lower entry point, only to trap you in parts that only they can deal in.........Mountain biking ain't rocket science. If you smile after your ride, it was a good one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    look slightly used - never rode the kona - aren't they more of AM geometry?? and kind of heavy? , demoed the stumpjumper for a weekend (over 100 miles) and itwas way too squishy for me, loved pivot 429 and santa cruz tallboy is da $hit - they just came out with a new model so the old models should be becoming available at a discounted price.. for example

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy R XC Large | eBay
    I have been considering buying a used bike as far as the price goes but am still unsure as to what bike to get Another reason is that though I am 6'4 I have a long torso compared to my legs. When I demo'd the Hei Hei I was at a 20 however I feel I could have gone a little bit bigger on the frame. I am still unsure as to what the difference between all mountain vs cross country is.. I would like a balance between climbing and downhill as I would like to ride any single track trail.
    Thank you for your response brother.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Welcome to mountain biking.....welcome to riding in AZ......and welcome to the world of competing standards.....and in come cases, proprietary "standards"......tread lightly where you spend your money....big companies can subsidize costs by offering a lower entry point, only to trap you in parts that only they can deal in.........Mountain biking ain't rocket science. If you smile after your ride, it was a good one.
    Brother, I always smile after a ride. Even on my 2002 trek that cost $300 at the time. I'm just trying to find a good bike and get in the AZ bike community at the same time. Thank you for your warm welcome. Is it safe to say you recommend smaller companies such as kona/salsa/santa cruz?

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by willeh View Post
    Brother, I always smile after a ride. Even on my 2002 trek that cost $300 at the time. I'm just trying to find a good bike and get in the AZ bike community at the same time. Thank you for your warm welcome. Is it safe to say you recommend smaller companies such as kona/salsa/santa cruz?
    I recommend something that feels good, without marketing hype. I recommend spending more on frame geometry that you fit into, and less on componentry. I reccomend you find a LBS that works with you and you feel good about having a relationship with.....because if you fall in love....you'll be going there A LOT. You will upgrade your parts if you fall in love. If you don't, then you will have at least had a nice fling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hello all

In that price range I would definitely recommend that you take a look at a Giant Anthem x 29 or Trance. If you are on the south east side of town you could stop by Bens Bikes. If you are central or North Sabino Cycles is off Catalina HWY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I agree on checking out the Giant bikes. my buddy "Old Stomper" has the anthem. Send him a PM. GREAT bike.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Meatbomb
    At the risk of being labeled I'll admit I am very happy with my Stumpjumper Comp 29er.

I'm 6'4" as well and the XL frame size fits me well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check the shops in your area for demo bikes.
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    Thank you all for your posts. I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me some great advice. Looks like I have a lot of shopping around to do. I'm definitely going to look at the Giant line, stump jumper, and salsa spearfish.
    While demoing the Kona Hei Hei the one thing I noticed more so than anything else was the bikes efficiency. I was less winded, climbing bigger hills, and using less effort at 9,000 ft on the Hei Hei than I do here in Tucson on my 300 dollar bike. I'm sure that's just the quality of the bike compared to mine but it defiantly inspired me to get a real mountain bike.

The one thing I noticed about the Hei Hei that I didn't like was the time it took to get into a different gear. May have been adjustments- just expected a little more from a bike like that.

I'll keep you all updated, haven't had time to look at the bikes as I've been working crazy overtime trying to get enough dinero to get this bike.

Stay safe and thanks again for your input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    . If you don't, then you will have at least had a nice fling.
    Story of my life bro.

I'll most definitely take your advice into consideration while making this decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Definitely buy used, way better value there especially since you're fairly new to the sport. You will do really well with a $3k budget on a used rig. You wouldn't even appreciate all the newest tech "upgrades". The big wheel sounds like a good idea, and an XL frame, depending on brand.

I would also narrow down the geometry you want, amount of suspension, and type of suspension design. Some will pedal better (more efficient) but won't be as plush, etc. On your next rides on your HT, pay attention to what matters most in your ride. If it's crisp shifting you're after, then spend more money on the drivetrain. If you have back pain, then maybe look for plush suspension. If you want to improve your best time, then maybe an efficient frame and light wheels will be important. Only then you'll have a better idea which way you want to go.

Good luck, and have fun! It gets addicting fast.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to update you all. I've been window shopping this past week unfortunately I couldn't demo bikes at the shops I went to so it was all comparing it to the Kona Hei Hei in which I had the pleasure of demoing.

That being said I went to Arizona Bike Experts here in tucson which had an amazing staff and a great small shop feel. They had the Hei Hei and the Salsa Spearhead 2 which is what I went in to look at. To my luck they had a Spearhead 2, 20 inch frame, on sale which I went ahead and purchased. It's nice to know the shop I purchased my bike at will remember my name every time I walk in. What a great experience for a beginner.

I am a beginner and have realized that whatever bike I chose at that price range would ultimately give me great times until I'm ready for something a little more and my riding has adapted to something I know what exact specs I would like out of a bike. I appreciate the great feedback you all have given me and will be continuing to check in on this forum. I'm sure as I gain experience you will see a lot more of me in the forum but until then- If by some chance you see a 6'4 guy on a salsa spearhead with a giant smile on his face on a trail, give me a nod and a wave.
    Stay safe friends.
    never know what youre going to find on an exploration what the sky is like what the trail is like thats why were exploring

Plus size jersey model
    Dang totally missed a new Tucson guy on here. Welcome. If you want to get in on any group rides hit me up over on the tucsonmtb.com forum. congrats on the sweet new bike. The ABE guys are good dudes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was just going to tell you to check out ABE before I read your last post! Far and away my favorite shop in town, and they will definitely take care of you.