Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Heads up on trail etiquette and the Arizona Trail.

Sounds like some complaints have been coming through. As a group that is under constant fire we need to be on our best behavior. Thanks for reading and helping us out! If you ride with "that guy" maybe help them understand why it's important to us to follow the basic trail rules and that will help us all.

This is from the FBO facebook page.

We were contacted today by Arizona Trail Association leadership regarding several reports of badly behaved mountain bikers on the Arizona Trail, primarily between Schultz Pass and Snowbowl, and we suspect primarily descending from Snowbowl.

PLEASE RIDE COURTEOUSLY!

Although we are huge fans of shuttling the descent from Snowbowl to Fort Valley, we really want to make sure this opportunity is kept open to everyone.

Please:

-Always yield to uphill traffic.
    -Always yield to hikers and equestrians.
    -Always politely announce your presence when approaching from behind, and pass slowly.
    -When passing horses or allowing horses to pass, dismount to the downhill side of the trail. Predators attack from above, and horse have evolved to fear animals perched above them.
    -Talk to horses and riders. This helps identify you as a person, and not a threat, to the horse.
    -Consider purchasing a bell to help communicate your presence on trails.
    -Do not outride your line of sight and keep your bike under control.

One of our greatest goals as an organization is maintaining good relations with other trail users. Every time we ride on public trails, we should be ambassadors for our sport.

Please be friendly and polite!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Sounds like some complaints have been coming through. As a group that is under constant fire we need to be on our best behavior. Thanks for reading and helping us out! If you ride with "that guy" maybe help them understand why it's important to us to follow the basic trail rules and that will help us all.

This is from the FBO facebook page.

We were contacted today by Arizona Trail Association leadership regarding several reports of badly behaved mountain bikers on the Arizona Trail, primarily between Schultz Pass and Snowbowl, and we suspect primarily descending from Snowbowl.

PLEASE RIDE COURTEOUSLY!

Although we are huge fans of shuttling the descent from Snowbowl to Fort Valley, we really want to make sure this opportunity is kept open to everyone.

Please:

-Always yield to uphill traffic.
    -Always yield to hikers and equestrians.
    -Always politely announce your presence when approaching from behind, and pass slowly.
    -When passing horses or allowing horses to pass, dismount to the downhill side of the trail. Predators attack from above, and horse have evolved to fear animals perched above them.
    -Talk to horses and riders. This helps identify you as a person, and not a threat, to the horse.
    -Consider purchasing a bell to help communicate your presence on trails.
    -Do not outride your line of sight and keep your bike under control.

One of our greatest goals as an organization is maintaining good relations with other trail users. Every time we ride on public trails, we should be ambassadors for our sport.

Please be friendly and polite!

Thank you!
    I would venture a guess that every MBR viewer that reads the OP's post follows his suggestions. If anyone doesn't please let us know why you do something different from his suggestions.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    I would venture a guess that every MBR viewer that reads the OP's post follows his suggestions. If anyone doesn't please let us know why you do something different from his suggestions.
    True, but it's good to let us know there are those out there not doing it, so we can keep our eyes open, and hopefully let them know what they are doing wrong.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    True, but it's good to let us know there are those out there not doing it, so we can keep our eyes open, and hopefully let them know what they are doing wrong.

How should we make them change their behavior? Is it OK to get physical or do we give them a co​py of the regs and ride on.

Is it OK to pass someone coming uphill on a bike if there is room to pass? Does the AZ trail have any sections to pass riders coming up hill or are you supposed to stop for every rider riding uphill?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No need to get......

Olivia Newton-John - Physical - YouTube

Just pass on the word to fellow riders and hopefully it will reach outward. What else can we do? There will always be a few bad apples in every group but by just behaving better ourselves we can help create a better situation.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    No need to get......

Olivia Newton-John - Physical - YouTube

Just pass on the word to fellow riders and hopefully it will reach outward. What else can we do? There will always be a few bad apples in every group but by just behaving better ourselves we can help create a better situation.
    If I see the OP riding up hill on a wide spot is it OK to keep riding? I personally don't care if riders pass me while I am riding uphill in a wide spot. Personally I have never thought someone was a jerk for continuing to ride by me while I was riding uphill, I guess that's the renegade in me.

As a mountain biker I don't think I have ever had a terrible riding experience when other riders ride past me coming from the opposite direction. Even those riders who overtake me and ride off trial to get by me don't annoy me. It seems like part of having a great ride on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If I see the OP riding up hill on a wide spot is it OK to keep riding? I personally don't care if riders pass me while I am riding uphill in a wide spot. Personally I have never thought someone was a jerk for continuing to ride by me while I was riding uphill, I guess that's the renegade in me.

As a mountain biker I don't think I have ever had a terrible riding experience when other riders ride past me coming from the opposite direction. Even those riders who overtake me and ride off trial to get by me don't annoy me. It seems like part of having a great ride on the bike.
    I think it all comes down to reading the oncoming trail user's body language. If they look confrontational or angry than give em a bit of extra love. It's not that hard really.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    Posting on random boards.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Honestly, the only time I've ever had a bad experience was from dues who wear Spandex team looking kit and bomb down the trails on race hardtails with a scowl on their face. Roadie scum with a front suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I follow all the rules the OP states but there is still one situation that gets me a negative reaction. When I'm coming up on a hiker from behind with headphones on. Usually I don't manage to get their attention until I'm right on them. They get startled and over react. I pass slowly and apologize but still get the cold stare. Any suggestions?

Huffy Rider
    I already posted this on Facebook but here it goes again.....Me and another rider got chewed out by two women on horses for dinging our bells while on the AZ trail. They said it scared their horses, then when they finally got the courage up to pass us, they made us stop talking, that also scared their horses. We were very polite, got very far off the trail, and did everything they asked, yet we still got an ear full.

Brenda

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I already posted this on Facebook but here it goes again.....Me and another rider got chewed out by two women on horses for dinging our bells while on the AZ trail. They said it scared their horses, then when they finally got the courage up to pass us, they made us stop talking, that also scared their horses. We were very polite, got very far off the trail, and did everything they asked, yet we still got an ear full.

Brenda
    Was the other person riding with you a graduate of a law enforcement academy? I very rarely encounter equestrians while riding my bike, and when I do I feel sorry for them because they are a dying breed. When do you ever see a person under 40 riding a horse on a mountain biking trail?

Meatbomb
    I love my bell and use it religiously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb View Post
    I follow all the rules the OP states but there is still one situation that gets me a negative reaction. When I'm coming up on a hiker from behind with headphones on. Usually I don't manage to get their attention until I'm right on them. They get startled and over react. I pass slowly and apologize but still get the cold stare. Any suggestions?
    Not much you can do if they want to blast their music in their ears rather than be aware of what they are surrounded by. . . I'd just keep doing what you're doing and don't let them get you down!

parenting for gnarness

Brenda
    good for you for keeping it polite - that's a prerequisite. That said, the very few times I've been around an irresponsible equestrian I (politely) make it clear that its a multiuse trail and they are putting me at risk if they can not control their animal while others use the trail in a responsible manner. I would have also taken their pic.

banned
    Jul 2013
    I wanted to print a copy of the actual law that pertains to right of way regulations, so that when I encounter a situation that the law has been broken I can show the individual who broke the law why they should obey the law in the future. So far I am unable to find the actual law, can someone please post a link that I can use to print a copy.

I want to be on the right side of the law when I stop someone who is screwing up. I think it would be a good idea to post the actual law at large trailhead entrances.

Meatbomb
    Great.. TrailDoc is become TrailCop.

How much further ???
    This all reminds me of the funniest trail encounter Ive had in awhile. I was riding up the West side of Cats Peak Trail in Usery and encountered some fellow mountain bikers on the "steeper" rocky section near the top. I was climbing about half way up when the first guy started coming down. He yelled "Look out..... Coming thru". I didnt even break stride as I was in mid climb so the first guy veers off the trail to my right, into desert. I kept climbing. the second guy comes over the crest sees me and veers off the trail into a cactus. I keep climbing. Then I meet the third guy near the top who just stopped, couldnt unclip, and just falls over into a tree. I asked him if he was ok as I pedaled right on by. I couldnt stop laughing for 5 min.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Give it a crank
    My last run-in rolling up to an ipodded hiker went like this:

me: "excuse me"
    biped: nothing
    me: "on your left"
    biped: zip
    me: "on your right"
    biped: nada
    me: "coming through"
    biped: braindead
    me: "HEYYYY"
    biped: walking dead
    me: slowed to a crawling climb 3 feet behind until what must have been a gap between tunes and finally got some passing room.

Conclusion: I was 100% etiquette compliant except for one yell.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    This all reminds me of the funniest trail encounter Ive had in awhile. I was riding up the West side of Cats Peak Trail in Usery and encountered some fellow mountain bikers on the "steeper" rocky section near the top. I was climbing about half way up when the first guy started coming down. He yelled "Look out..... Coming thru". I didnt even break stride as I was in mid climb so the first guy veers off the trail to my right, into desert. I kept climbing. the second guy comes over the crest sees me and veers off the trail into a cactus. I keep climbing. Then I meet the third guy near the top who just stopped, couldnt unclip, and just falls over into a tree. I asked him if he was ok as I pedaled right on by. I couldnt stop laughing for 5 min.
    I did something similar and congratulated the rider for doing a couple flips down a steep embankment without hurting himself. After he started yelling at me I handed him the print out of the right of way laws, that shut him up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Brenda
    That's a neat trick I'd love to use.....how did they make you stop talking?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    and then you cramped, and asked for training advice?

Meatbomb
    I wanted to print a copy of the actual law that pertains to right of way regulations, so that when I encounter a situation that the law has been broken I can show the individual who broke the law why they should obey the law in the future. So far I am unable to find the actual law, can someone please post a link that I can use to print a copy.

I did something similar and congratulated the rider for doing a couple flips down a steep embankment without hurting himself. After he started yelling at me I handed him the print out of the right of way laws, that shut him up.

How does this work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast