mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Headed to Payson....

For a family ride. Any suggestions on nice easy trails in the area? Looking for something without alot of climbing (if that is even possible).

Thanks,

Chris

Meatbomb
    There are some trails in the Woods Canyon Lake area up on top of the rim if that's not too far out of town for you. Much cooler up there too.

Vincit qui patitur
    Around Willow Springs too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Carr Lake is probably the easiest of the bunch...

Carr Lake System

mtbr member
    For easy, quick (and beautiful) rides....hit these two trails...

1. Cypress to Boulders North - Out and back - 4 miles total (at the end of phoenix st)

2. Monument Peak Loop - Cool Loop about 5 miles total....at the end of Granite Dells Rd

Both trails are located at lower right side of the map

Me an my girl were just up there last week...she is new to Mountain Biking and she did great on these trails....

Headed to Payson....-20130710_174526.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    THanks guys. great info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are you riding the Monument Loop cw or ccw?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Are you riding the Monument Loop cw or ccw?
    I prefer CW......as there is a longer downhill section...

mtbr member
    I was out at Carr Lakes a couple weekends ago and can't understand why these trails get so little attention. The location is easily accessible, the trails wind through forest and meadows with ferns and wildlife and great views of the rim if you head out to the viewpoints. It's a great casual place to ride.

I think the only downside is that the trails see so little traffic they're not really ridden in well.

Happy Trails

Headed to Payson....

Can anybody compare Carr Lakes versus Cabin Loop and the AZ Trail in and around the Blue Ridge section? In terms of easy access, simple to follow the trail, fun but challenging riding, cooler weather, HAB, flow, etc?

In other words, I'm about ready for some cooler riding .... and looking for a rider-friendly road trip up the hill (on Az-87) from Fountain Hills, and also wondering if anyone is a "go-to" ride that is a pretty do-able day trip.

mtbr member
    Carr Lakes has almost no appreciable elevation change and is pretty tame. If you're looking for a mellow ride that's probably your best bet. The entire Cabin Loop ride is great but it is longer and has a little bit (but not much) of climbing. I rode both about 3 years ago and kick myself for not going up there again. Off the top of my head Carr was like 7 miles and pretty easy and Cabin was like 15 and I was ready to be done by the time I got back to the truck. But that was a few years ago so I reserve the right to be off by a few miles.

Cabin takes a little longer to get to also. Not allot but maybe 20-30 minutes???

I have planned on going up there this summer but the mornings have been cool so I've been riding at sunrise here.

Happy Trails

Headed to Payson....

Stumpy- thanks. Ditto on sunrise rides, but I think we're right around the corner from each other in FH so I'll let you know if I make this trip anytime soon, or see you out on DX at daybreak.

mtbr member
    Cabin Loops requires a 10 mile drive down FR300 (Rim Road) to get to the General Springs TH. I've never ridden Carr Lake but the Cabin Loops are some beautiful trails! They are pretty long and there is a section or two that can be a bit confusing when navigating so make sure you take a GPS or a topo map (the Fred Haught trail runs on a forest road on one section and it is easy to miss the turn off back on to the singletrack).

The AZT Blue Ridge passage run concurrently with the Fred Haught trail for a few miles and then turns off (there is a sign). The Blue Ridge passage is a GREAT section of the AZT (which section isn't?!) but be very prepared for two big hike-a-bike sections. The first one just after the turn off from Fred Haught is a short 10 minute one and the grade is nice. The second HAB will have you curing the heavens. It is basically hiking straight out of the Blue Ridge Reservoir since the trail crosses the dry lakebed. That being said, this passage is amazing if you get a chance to ride it all!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
    Me an my girl were just up there last week...she is new to Mountain Biking and she did great on these trails....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130710_174526.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	820320
    Are those 36" wheels or is your girl 4'2"?

Happy Trails

Headed to Payson....

I rode Cabin Loop Trails today. Thanks everybody for the tips. From FR 300 Rim Road I road northbound on Fred Haught Trail, then turned southbound on Houston Brothers Trail back to Rim Road, then westbound along the road back to start. I planned to ride further but late start, Yada yada. The 21 mile ride took a little less than 3 hours. It was nice to be at 7400 feet, 74 degrees, Ponderosa pine forest single-track in the ferns, but for me it was too much driving for a day trip. Camping would be fine, though, or maybe catching this on the long way home from weekend trip to Flag. Technically, it was comparable to McDowell Loops, except slightly more challenging on several long, steep climbs, and some slippery damp stretches. There were also a few spots on Fred Haught Trail with a little exposure above the creek. I would not call this newb-able, but medium skills riders (like me) can get some flow going. I took some pics including a good trail map...

Headed to Payson....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375587573.324094.jpg
    Headed to Payson....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375587601.754636.jpg

Happy Trails

Headed to Payson....

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Fred Haught trail runs on a forest road on one section and it is easy to miss the turn off back on to the singletrack).
    This.

About five miles into the northbound trip on FredHaught, headed from the Rim Road to Pinchot Cabin, you have to cut back to the right (southeast) on FR95 to cross Bear Canyon, ride about 1/2 mile on the road, and then turn right (east) back onto the trail for the last stretch up to Pinchot Cabin and the intersection with Houston Brothers Trail. You can see this in the loop-back at the top of the map in the pic above.

Thanks, Gator, this post hooked me up. PosRep fo' you, bro'.