Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haws loops

mtbr member

Haws loops

Anybody in the valley know if these trails still exist? I haven't been to the Phoenix area in almost a decade. Back then I heard some vicious rumors that that area was going to be developed. I hope not. Those were some killer trails. I'm going to be down there in early march to watch a little baseball and ride some bikes. Going to hit South Mountain and Probably spend a day at McDowell mnt, just for fun. If the Haws loops still are there, and you can still park in that drug store parking lot, (I think it was a Rite Aid) I want to spend a day there. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

I love bike!
    It's all still there. Rite Aid = Walgreens

EDR

Re: Haws loops

Lots of stuff to ride at hawes. Some stuff is gone but mostly its better than 5 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ridin bikes is fun
    Click here:http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=36412

Lots of info round here.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

Angry SingleSpeeder
    Dec 2012
    Road HAWES off of power last sunday. Trails are well kept. lots of people were out as well.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Still lots of great riding out there. A few spots have been built up so its pretty easy riding for the most part but still a blast
    Keep the rubber side down

I love bike!
    From saturday top of mine.

A couple weeks ago on big rock/twisted sister.

sandbagger
    the walgreens is on power and thomas, i believe it use to be an empty lot 10 years ago. Highly suggest riding it again. A lot of development did happen in the past 10 years. A lot of custom homes were built up along the top where trails use to be. Hawes road now connects into las sendas and has communities all along it and turns into mountain ridge rd.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    anyone has a 20 mile + gpx for Hawes trail ?

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for the responses. Good to know it's still there. Some great trails.
    I got 4 more days and I'm there. Good timing too. It was minus 8 outside my door this morning.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Here is a pretty good map of the area: http://www.globalbikesbikeshop.com/C..._HAWES_MAP.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Thanks to all for the responses. Good to know it's still there. Some great trails.
    I got 4 more days and I'm there. Good timing too. It was minus 8 outside my door this morning.
    Yes.Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  11.1 KB

mtbr member
    How easy is to get to Usery Park trails from Hawes ?

mtbr member
    It's fairly straightforward. You basically make your way over to the Mine Trail at Hawes and take Twisted Sister over the ridge down to Wild Horse Trail. Take WHT all the way to Usery Pass Rd. and head south on the road until you come to a wash which you can take into Usery Park and connect to Pass Mountain Trail.

mtbr member
    I went out there last weekend with wife for a ride expecting some easy stuff... I don't thinks so.

Going up clockwise on Saguaro trail was murder...

This place is tiny too.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I would not classify it as easy, or hard. There is a good fun variety though. There are some routes you could do that would be wife freindly.

Tiny? Did you link up to TRW trails West of Power (would have been a good place to take your wife.) Did you take Wild Horse to the jump park NRA and then connect into the Usery Park trails? (if you staged at the base of Twisted Sister on Bush and then go the end of Wild Horse, that would make another fairly wife freindly run.) Did you go up by the Towers? There are bigger places for sure, but there is quite a bit of riding out there. Excluding connecting into Usery, I would guess there is 30 miles of good trail out there.

mtbr member
    I have to plan it better next time, I am coming back there with my buddy - there is def some gnarly stuff and you are right I should link up to TRW and to Usery. I wish there is some nice way to loop all together without riding streets though.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I have to plan it better next time, I am coming back there with my buddy - there is def some gnarly stuff and you are right I should link up to TRW and to Usery. I wish there is some nice way to loop all together without riding streets though.
    You can ride TRW, to Hawes, to Pass Mtn. at Usery with zero paved road miles. The challenge in that is taking the old old dormant singletrack that parellels Usery Rd once you reach The Pit. It heads south to where the wash is (opposite side of road, that takes you west to PM)...and beyond to the shooting range. That wash you can catch to head onto Pass Mtn. But....even if exclude this sorry excuse for single track (I like exploring, you may not) there cannot be more than a mile of road over the course of 35 miles of riding.

Route: Park in Red Mtn Ranch, take TRW to Power rd. Cross road and hop onto Hawes. Ride as much around the interior of Hawes as you'd like but make your way to Mine Trail/Twisted Sister junction. Take TW all the way (east) out to The Pit. Ride thru Pit to road. Make a right. Suffer a mile of pavement but go through the pedestrian opening in the fence on the left hand side of the road and ride up the crappy wash to PM. Go left. Ride PM and return via the Pit......or exit PM/Usery Park via the paved entrance road. Cross the street and head up Microwave Tower rd (yes it's paved...and kinda steep...and kinda restricted but i've never heard of anyone getting in trouble..I've done it). Ride up that road to the towers at the top. Drop down the trail heading down and west and bomb all the way back down to Hawes...it's a 4 mile blast of a ride back down to the canal from up there. Starts off steep/loose and crappy but gets fast and fun soon enough. From canal take TRW back to your car. If you do this ride you'll sleep like a baby that night.

Trust me, this is a big ride for most anyone. May not be 60 miles but it's an ass kicker.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 03-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I thought NRA wasnt supposed to be listed anywhere. Is this a new change? Havent been paying attention so I didnt know this changed.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    I thought NRA wasnt supposed to be listed anywhere. Is this a new change? Havent been paying attention so I didnt know this changed.
    And why is this? It hasn't been secret from the get go so why now..only change was I stopped with the unoffical nra yearly threads with hopes it would slow down the newb traffic which also slowed down the amount of maintenance needed. Its been well established now for 7 years its not going anywhere.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Havent really been paying attention Clock. Im more than likely mistaken. Im used to jeep trails being kept quiet too.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    What is this NRA dealio? I've only taken Hawes as far as the intersection with Saddle basically. I usually take TRW though because I can ride out of the neighborhood. I'm considering riding up Power to save energy and ride more around Hawes however. I never really learned the trail system, just kinda went out and rode.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    the blister beetles are out in full force already on saguaro near the twisted junction.
    its like 'ahhhh gtfo of my tire treads!'

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    What is this NRA dealio?
    Nra pit is a skills area for people of all skills and riding disciplines to expand their skills . Has everything from basic to crazy. Drops jumps berms ect. Closest thing we have to a real bike park at the moment . Hopefully in the future we will have a fully legit spot to hone our skills.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Nra pit is a skills area for people of all skills and riding disciplines to expand their skills . Has everything from basic to crazy. Drops jumps berms ect. Closest thing we have to a real bike park at the moment . Hopefully in the future we will have a fully legit spot to hone our skills.
    That's awesome! I will have to check it out if I can make it that far. More places need something like that where people can practice those skills.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast