Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

Hawes / Pass Mtn loop - Sat 11/15 NOON

Meet at NOON on Saturday 11/15 (note date and time change) behind the Walgreen's on Power and Thomas (see old map from AZSF07 - Red Mtn 202 now extends all the way down to the Santan 202).

Plan is to ride the usual Hawes area trails in a counterclockwise fashion to Twisted Sister then out to the NRA pit. We'll take a right up Ellsworth road then left up a dirt wash to hook up to Pass Mtn trail then around the mtn to the horse trailer lot. From here we'll head out the park, across Ellsworth, and up the closed paved road that goes under the big white PHOENIX sign to the towers. Final bit will be the fast drop down Hawes and then a few ups and downs back to the starting point. Route is 27 or 28 miles with many opportunities for bailing out if one needs to shorten the ride.

Water can be refilled at Usery park after Pass Mtn trail but be sure to start with a minimum of 100oz and even better if you add an extra water bottle. Bring lots of food/snacks.

Special guest Impy can't make it but we'll still need to hustle to beat the dark. I hope to hit the Hawes DH around sunset - should be beautiful!! .

Here are some links to when we did this ride over the last year:

Pass Mountain - Sun 7/13 @ 6:00am
    Hawes/Pass Mountain on the 26th
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 11-14-2008 at 11:50 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    count me in...looking fwd to meeting some of you all since I missed the swap meet last weekend.

"Yabut"
    Count me in. It's been a while since I was at Hawes.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

I ride with tools

In my dreams.........

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Meet at 8AM behind the Walgreen's on Power and Thomas
    Wish I could be there, that was an awesome ride you took me on last year!

( Can you believe it's been 11 months since my last post on MTBR? ! ? ! )

It's good to be back! Have a great ride!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Can't make this one, going to the memorial service on Sunday and riding SoMo afterwards.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Can't make this one, going to the memorial service on Sunday and riding SoMo afterwards.
    Oops! I got my days mixed up. I'd really like to also attend lil gregg's memorial service on Sunday so will likely cancel Sunday's Hawes/Pass ride. Seems to not be gaining too much attention anyway - are you guys getting tired of my long ass rides?

Impy... sure you can't do Hawes/Pass on Saturday? Skip the last bit of your conference?? Or, we could start at noon or 1 (and push hard to finish before dark).

Hawes Junkie
    Oops! I got my days mixed up. I'd really like to also attend lil gregg's memorial service on Sunday so will likely cancel Sunday's Hawes/Pass ride. Seems to not be gaining too much attention anyway - are you guys getting tired of my long ass rides?

Impy... sure you can't do Hawes/Pass on Saturday? Skip the last bit of your conference?? Or, we could start at noon or 1 (and push hard to finish before dark).
    Did y'all decide if this one going to Sun or Sat and at what time? If it's later on on Saturday I might be able to pull myself away to go.

I could do Saturday depending on what time you all leave

Happy trails
    i could do saturday,if it's still on.
    Aaron

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm still waiting on an Impy reply before calling this ride one way or another.
    Sunday is definitely out for me as I will be attending lil gregg's memorial service with a SoMo ride afterwards. Saturday early? Saturday late? Impy????? Can you make a Saturday ride?

pedaller
    I vote Sat late!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

pewpewpew Moderator
    Well, rats. Can't miss that memorial service, though, that's for sure.

I don't think I can get to phoenix before 3 on saturday. Sunday I have to leave early (on the reoad by 1pm)

If anyone still wants to do the hawes loop on sunday, let me know. If not I might ride Tucson with some friends instead, before heading out to California.
    Love, Impy

Kathleen in AZ
    Thanks for the reply Impy... sure you can't scoot out early on Saturday and meet up for an afternoon ride?

I'm thinking if we start the ride at noon then we'll be hitting the towers around 5 or so and can bomb down Hawes into a spectacular sunset. Everyone should bring a headlamp (like for camping - not your full Niterider unless you wanna haul it around) in case we get stuck out in the dark. If we do take longer, we can cut it shorter by rolling back on McDowell (boo hiss.... must ride Hawes at sunset!)

Who's in for a Saturday Hawes/Pass attempt meeting at Walgreen's at noon?

Hawes Junkie

Def...maybe...possibly

Wife is doing a garage sale in morning so, if we get a good showing and sell a bunch of our crap... I mean valuable collections of children's clothing...then I'll be there.
    I've still yet to do the ride to Ellsworth and the loop around and under the sign so I'm def game just need to get the from the wife.

AZ XC

Just another half mile...
    Hmmmm.... Pivot bike Demo at the new shop near Dreamy Draw or a five hour epic.....Decisions decisions..... Maybe both if I can get my lame a$$ out of bed early

Thanks for the reply Impy... sure you can't scoot out early on Saturday and meet up for an afternoon ride?

I'm thinking if we start the ride at noon then we'll be hitting the towers around 5 or so and can bomb down Hawes into a spectacular sunset. Everyone should bring a headlamp (like for camping - not your full Niterider unless you wanna haul it around) in case we get stuck out in the dark. If we do take longer, we can cut it shorter by rolling back on McDowell (boo hiss.... must ride Hawes at sunset!)

Who's in for a Saturday Hawes/Pass attempt meeting at Walgreen's at noon?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Hmmmm.... Pivot bike Demo at the new shop near Dreamy Draw or a five hour epic.....Decisions decisions..... Maybe both if I can get my lame a$$ out of bed early
    Dale - you don't need a Pivot - you are a Turner guy! Sleep in a bit and then join us for an epic. Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon!

NardoSS
    I'm in for tomorrow at noon! I'll do my best to hang for the full meal deal but if it gets too gnar then I'll opt for the value meal and git. I've never done Pass Mtn so I'm stoked. +0

Just another half mile...
    Yes you are correct. I don't need a Pivot, but I want to see what this DW hoopla is all about. The largest Pivot is too small for me anyways. Now when Turner gets their XL RFX out next year, I may retire the Six Pack.....

Dale - you don't need a Pivot - you are a Turner guy! Sleep in a bit and then join us for an epic. Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon!

"Yabut"
    I think that starting time is late enough to allow me to get my beauty sleep. I'll be there!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

pedaller
    I'm in.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Yes you are correct. I don't need a Pivot, but I want to see what this DW hoopla is all about. The largest Pivot is too small for me anyways. Now when Turner gets their XL RFX out next year, I may retire the Six Pack.....
    If you think of retiring the 6 pack, remember how happy your Stinky is with me

Have fun on the Hawes loop. I still have not done the full loop. I need to stay close to home and be productive in the afternoon.

I ride with tools
    Hello! I cannot be ignored!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Hello! I cannot be ignored!
    HELLO!!!!!

If you hit the sack right now, you have time for 6 or 7 hours of beauty sleep before loading in the car and zipping on over to Phx for the ride tomorrow. Come on.... you know you want to!

Kathleen in AZ
    Wheeeee! Looks like a good group is forming for tomorrow's ride.

I'm going to have to pass on this...I did the BCT with SuLing and Monkeybutt yesterday...need to rest up the IT band for one day before another slogfest. have fun and be safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast