Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175

    Hawes / Pass Mtn loop - Sat 11/15 NOON

    Meet at NOON on Saturday 11/15 (note date and time change) behind the Walgreen's on Power and Thomas (see old map from AZSF07 - Red Mtn 202 now extends all the way down to the Santan 202).

    Plan is to ride the usual Hawes area trails in a counterclockwise fashion to Twisted Sister then out to the NRA pit. We'll take a right up Ellsworth road then left up a dirt wash to hook up to Pass Mtn trail then around the mtn to the horse trailer lot. From here we'll head out the park, across Ellsworth, and up the closed paved road that goes under the big white PHOENIX sign to the towers. Final bit will be the fast drop down Hawes and then a few ups and downs back to the starting point. Route is 27 or 28 miles with many opportunities for bailing out if one needs to shorten the ride.

    Water can be refilled at Usery park after Pass Mtn trail but be sure to start with a minimum of 100oz and even better if you add an extra water bottle. Bring lots of food/snacks.

    Special guest Impy can't make it but we'll still need to hustle to beat the dark. I hope to hit the Hawes DH around sunset - should be beautiful!! .

    Here are some links to when we did this ride over the last year:

    Pass Mountain - Sun 7/13 @ 6:00am
    Hawes/Pass Mountain on the 26th
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 11-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.

  2. #2
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,993
    count me in...looking fwd to meeting some of you all since I missed the swap meet last weekend.

  3. #3
    "Yabut"
    Reputation: MyBike'sBroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    837
    Count me in. It's been a while since I was at Hawes.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."
    ____________

    www.CosmicRaces.com

  4. #4
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,346

    In my dreams.........

    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Meet at 8AM behind the Walgreen's on Power and Thomas
    Wish I could be there, that was an awesome ride you took me on last year!

    ( Can you believe it's been 11 months since my last post on MTBR? ! ? ! )

    It's good to be back! Have a great ride!

  5. #5
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,406
    Can't make this one, going to the memorial service on Sunday and riding SoMo afterwards.

  6. #6
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Can't make this one, going to the memorial service on Sunday and riding SoMo afterwards.
    Oops! I got my days mixed up. I'd really like to also attend lil gregg's memorial service on Sunday so will likely cancel Sunday's Hawes/Pass ride. Seems to not be gaining too much attention anyway - are you guys getting tired of my long ass rides?

    Impy... sure you can't do Hawes/Pass on Saturday? Skip the last bit of your conference?? Or, we could start at noon or 1 (and push hard to finish before dark).

  7. #7
    Hawes Junkie
    Reputation: AZ XC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Oops! I got my days mixed up. I'd really like to also attend lil gregg's memorial service on Sunday so will likely cancel Sunday's Hawes/Pass ride. Seems to not be gaining too much attention anyway - are you guys getting tired of my long ass rides?

    Impy... sure you can't do Hawes/Pass on Saturday? Skip the last bit of your conference?? Or, we could start at noon or 1 (and push hard to finish before dark).
    Did y'all decide if this one going to Sun or Sat and at what time? If it's later on on Saturday I might be able to pull myself away to go.

  8. #8
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,993
    I could do Saturday depending on what time you all leave

  9. #9
    Happy trails
    Reputation: FATTRAXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    437
    i could do saturday,if it's still on.
    Aaron

  10. #10
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    I'm still waiting on an Impy reply before calling this ride one way or another.
    Sunday is definitely out for me as I will be attending lil gregg's memorial service with a SoMo ride afterwards. Saturday early? Saturday late? Impy????? Can you make a Saturday ride?

  11. #11
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    I vote Sat late!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  12. #12
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,133
    Well, rats. Can't miss that memorial service, though, that's for sure.

    I don't think I can get to phoenix before 3 on saturday. Sunday I have to leave early (on the reoad by 1pm)

    If anyone still wants to do the hawes loop on sunday, let me know. If not I might ride Tucson with some friends instead, before heading out to California.
    Love, Impy

  13. #13
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Thanks for the reply Impy... sure you can't scoot out early on Saturday and meet up for an afternoon ride?

    I'm thinking if we start the ride at noon then we'll be hitting the towers around 5 or so and can bomb down Hawes into a spectacular sunset. Everyone should bring a headlamp (like for camping - not your full Niterider unless you wanna haul it around) in case we get stuck out in the dark. If we do take longer, we can cut it shorter by rolling back on McDowell (boo hiss.... must ride Hawes at sunset!)

    Who's in for a Saturday Hawes/Pass attempt meeting at Walgreen's at noon?

  14. #14
    Hawes Junkie
    Reputation: AZ XC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    141

    Def...maybe...possibly

    Wife is doing a garage sale in morning so, if we get a good showing and sell a bunch of our crap... I mean valuable collections of children's clothing...then I'll be there.
    I've still yet to do the ride to Ellsworth and the loop around and under the sign so I'm def game just need to get the from the wife.

    AZ XC

  15. #15
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    969
    Hmmmm.... Pivot bike Demo at the new shop near Dreamy Draw or a five hour epic.....Decisions decisions..... Maybe both if I can get my lame a$$ out of bed early

    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Thanks for the reply Impy... sure you can't scoot out early on Saturday and meet up for an afternoon ride?

    I'm thinking if we start the ride at noon then we'll be hitting the towers around 5 or so and can bomb down Hawes into a spectacular sunset. Everyone should bring a headlamp (like for camping - not your full Niterider unless you wanna haul it around) in case we get stuck out in the dark. If we do take longer, we can cut it shorter by rolling back on McDowell (boo hiss.... must ride Hawes at sunset!)

    Who's in for a Saturday Hawes/Pass attempt meeting at Walgreen's at noon?

  16. #16
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Hmmmm.... Pivot bike Demo at the new shop near Dreamy Draw or a five hour epic.....Decisions decisions..... Maybe both if I can get my lame a$$ out of bed early
    Dale - you don't need a Pivot - you are a Turner guy! Sleep in a bit and then join us for an epic. Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon!

  17. #17
    NardoSS
    Guest
    I'm in for tomorrow at noon! I'll do my best to hang for the full meal deal but if it gets too gnar then I'll opt for the value meal and git. I've never done Pass Mtn so I'm stoked. +0

  18. #18
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    969
    Yes you are correct. I don't need a Pivot, but I want to see what this DW hoopla is all about. The largest Pivot is too small for me anyways. Now when Turner gets their XL RFX out next year, I may retire the Six Pack.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Dale - you don't need a Pivot - you are a Turner guy! Sleep in a bit and then join us for an epic. Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon!

  19. #19
    "Yabut"
    Reputation: MyBike'sBroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    837
    I think that starting time is late enough to allow me to get my beauty sleep. I'll be there!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."
    ____________

    www.CosmicRaces.com

  20. #20
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    I'm in.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Yes you are correct. I don't need a Pivot, but I want to see what this DW hoopla is all about. The largest Pivot is too small for me anyways. Now when Turner gets their XL RFX out next year, I may retire the Six Pack.....
    If you think of retiring the 6 pack, remember how happy your Stinky is with me

    Have fun on the Hawes loop. I still have not done the full loop. I need to stay close to home and be productive in the afternoon.

  22. #22
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,346
    Hello! I cannot be ignored!

  23. #23
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Hello! I cannot be ignored!
    HELLO!!!!!

    If you hit the sack right now, you have time for 6 or 7 hours of beauty sleep before loading in the car and zipping on over to Phx for the ride tomorrow. Come on.... you know you want to!

  24. #24
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Wheeeee! Looks like a good group is forming for tomorrow's ride.

  25. #25
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,993
    I'm going to have to pass on this...I did the BCT with SuLing and Monkeybutt yesterday...need to rest up the IT band for one day before another slogfest. have fun and be safe.

  26. #26
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm going to have to pass on this...I did the BCT with SuLing and Monkeybutt yesterday...need to rest up the IT band for one day before another slogfest. have fun and be safe.
    I fear they are pooping out on me too but at least you all had fun yesterday. I am loving this late start time... I've gotten so much done at home this morning! Looking forward to a really fun (and exhausting) afternoon.

  27. #27
    "Yabut"
    Reputation: MyBike'sBroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    837

    Yep, it was pretty exhausting....

    ....but the ride was GREAT! This was the first time I had been beyond the NRA pit, and it was really pretty back there. The stats of the ride are, 27 miles, and 2800 feet of climbing. NO flats, and the only incident was Epicrider gashing open his elbow on a cramp induced body plant. Luckily it was near the end of the ride. Which finished in the dark, by the way. Thanks for the great ride DurtGurl. And now, it's beer time.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."
    ____________

    www.CosmicRaces.com

  28. #28
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,370
    You guys had a nice little group today. I just pulled up to the pit when you guys were coming out to head to pass mt.

  29. #29
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    969

    That hurt....

    ...in more ways than one. Here are a few pics and the MAP of the route we took. A few more stats: 4:20 moving time and 1:20 stoppage. It was a good pace until I flopped over at the end. Elbow is patched up and the beer is tasting gooooood!



    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    ....but the ride was GREAT! This was the first time I had been beyond the NRA pit, and it was really pretty back there. The stats of the ride are, 27 miles, and 2800 feet of climbing. NO flats, and the only incident was Epicrider gashing open his elbow on a cramp induced body plant. Luckily it was near the end of the ride. Which finished in the dark, by the way. Thanks for the great ride DurtGurl. And now, it's beer time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  30. #30
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,370
    Great pics! I will have to try that route someday.I have only ever done the complete out and back to back track loop.The route you guys took is 2hrs shorter with less climbing.

  31. #31
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175

    ouch!

    We started with 8, lost 3, gained 1, and finished with 6. I thought we had a good pace - Nardo said it was "relaxed". Ha! He's pretty speedy and so was Steve, but in the end I think we all got what we were looking for - a long day in the saddle with some suffering and some thrills.

    I was hurting greatly on the first half of the ride for some strange reason (starting late? no carbs for lunch? Santa Anna winds?) but after passing the NRA pit and saying hi to Clockwork (good to finally meet you!) I got a second wind. I'm so glad we did the whole thing and by golly we timed it perfectly... Sunset from the towers was spectacular!

    Not sure if it was because I was on my non-bouncy Salsa or if the trail really is in horrid shape, but me-oh-my the east-side drop of Pass mtn trail is harsh! From Dale's map I can see that our detour on Blevins was longer but it sure was better than staying on the super rocky & painful south-side trial. ouch. The ride up to the towers was pretty easy and the upper Hawes mega drop was in good shape. Too bad Dale took the digger at the end and then I had chain-suck on tower trail... otherwise it would have been a body/bike mechanical free ride.

    Thanks to Noel, Nardo, Steve, Aaron, and Dale for doing this ride with me!! It was a great one.

    p.s. It wasn't until I looked at my self-portrait that I realized I still have my "I voted today" sticker on my helmet. how funny... no one said anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  32. #32
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    and a few more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. #33
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,063
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

    Not sure if it was because I was on my non-bouncy Salsa or if the trail really is in horrid shape, but me-oh-my the east-side drop of Pass mtn trail is harsh! .
    i've just come to expect that -- its been so rough for a long time, but for sure your bike was part of it. Glad the top of the Towers was good, and you got the view! every time you start to hate Mesa...its time for a sunset ride!!!

    was that your first time down the south side of Tower to exit? mmm...mmm.

  34. #34
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    Looks like you all had fun! We had our big ride Friday and had a few things to do, so we had to pass. Great pics!
    ~~~

  35. #35
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,175
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Too bad Dale took the digger at the end and then I had chain-suck on tower trail... otherwise it would have been a body/bike mechanical free ride.
    Doh! I just remembered that there was another body mechanical on this ride - Noel , how's your right gluteus maximus this morning?

  36. #36
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    I'm OK, even though I'm no longer a virgin...

    What a badass ride! Great sunset shots! It was EPIC!

    Thanks Durtgurl for posting it up and everyone else for great company. That sandy wash up to Pass Mountain was a grunt but it was definitely worth it.

    mmmm...Pass Mountain rocks on a hardtail!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  37. #37
    NardoSS
    Guest

    fun fun fun

    Kathleen, I just thought you really really enjoyed voting and loved the sticker on your helmet. As always, you're a pleasure to ride with and thank you for setting up the event. The pace was perfect and the conversation pleasant.

    The sandy wash up to the start of Pass Mtn was balls balls balls, but the Pass loop was fan-freakin-tastic! If the trail was really bad this time around then I suppose it can only get better and I can't wait to do it again very soon as well as some of the other trails by the water stop. Great idea for the sunset by the tower stop and those silhouette pictures were pretty awesome. I would have stood up but I had my shoes off and had a perfect reclining rock/seat for the sunset. The short trail we took to to Las Sendas was fun as well.

    Wonderful riding with all of you and I look forward to riding with y'all again...quad bypass *cough cough* Yes, Noel's bike tried to make sweet love to him the bad way, Dale's armor saved his arm, and Kathleen's PB&J bagel saved the ride!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •