DFL>DNF>DNS

Hawes: Night Ride - Thurs. 8/23

Summer is flying by & not one night ride!! So, the time is here, this Thursday Aug. 23rd. Meet @Walgreen's (NW corner of Power & Thomas Rd's in Mesa) at 6:30p.

Dag Nabbit and I are thinking about an out-n-back on Twisted Sister / Wild Horse. So come on out & join the fun.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Heading all the way to NRA? I havent been out as much lately as I'd like, so my fitness level is concerning me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Probably, but I'd say it will be a pretty chill pace. I'm sure you'd be fine.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Sounds like fun. Ill have to confirm but I'll get back to you.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i could not freaking believe how windy it was at the top of mine yesterday around 7.. it wasn't bad until i got all the way up to the top,, any unobstructed north face was just getting blasted... i decided to turn around and head back down clockwise.

and even as i was exiting around 7:45, there was a group of about 6 guys with lights just heading out. i hope they didn't get caught in the rain, cause it was already pouring in Red Mountain Ranch by 9pm

..no sooner do i post this,, then the skies just unleashed again...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am a maybe.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Summer is flying by & not one night ride!! So, the time is here, this Thursday Aug. 23rd. Meet @Walgreen's (NW corner of Power & Thomas Rd's in Mesa) at 6:30p.

Dag Nabbit and I are thinking about an out-n-back on Twisted Sister / Wild Horse. So come on out & join the fun.
    Still planning on going at 6:30?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    there was a mothershitloadthunderstorm that came thru here from 2:15 till about 4 this morning.
    i had a niagra falls going over my back yard and class 5 rapids taking everything between the houses out into the street. this was way more rain than any of the storms this summer, so i'm betting hawes has some serious new washouts.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Still planning on going at 6:30?
    Yep, 6:30p unless there's a deluge out there, then I'll stay in.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Might make for an interesting ride tonight then! I'm planning to hit it around 7pm...I bet it's gonna be kitty litter and ruts all over...should be fun..
    Check my pulse...

My other ride is your mom
    Hawes is always kitty litter

How much further ???
    Ok Im in. Baths for all three kids and early dinner before I go. See you at 6:30.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Hawes is always kitty litter
    Yeah but it's been taking a serious beating this monsoon season. Like Mike said it rained harder than I seen in a while for about 2 hours straight last night. I haven't had a chance to check out the trails today, but not to worry it's always changing and evolving.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    all the washes looked like marbled cake tonite, but were surprisingly firm. the debris stuck in them acted like rebar.
    good thing since i spent the last half hour riding back in total darkness. i got in at 8:15

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice to meet you tonight Mike. Shawn too. We had a good turnout, 9 riders showed for varying lengths. A little breeze would have helped, holy cow was it humid and stagnant out there. The washes weren't the problem, it was most of the steeper grades that really suffered. Lower Cardiac is a complete mess, even the shorter climb leading up to the saddle before dropping down to Cardiac was tore up. Tons of small ruts everywhere, hardly recognized sections of trail out there tonight. Surprisingly, the Mine descent was in good shape except for a rutted out section just beyond the hard left switchback near the bottom.

Douger-1: Hope your arm is ok, you had a nice knot going there. Plus, you missed the tree!!
    Last edited by freeskier46; 08-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Douger-1: Hope your arm is ok, you had a nice knot going there. Plus, you missed the tree!!
    I'll never find that tree Yeah the arm is fine and the swelling is way down it just made sleeping a bit hard last night. I had a clicking in my drive train and checked it out at the Twisted intersection. Come to find out I had a chain ring bolt backing out that is stripped. Figured I didnt want to keep riding further out if Im having issues. Thanks for putting that together. It was nice to meet some new people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    all the washes looked like marbled cake tonite, but were surprisingly firm. the debris stuck in them acted like rebar.
    good thing since i spent the last half hour riding back in total darkness. i got in at 8:15
    You must be the one we passed on the way out (3 of us). We thought you were riding by moonlight.
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    You must be the one we passed on the way out (3 of us). We thought you were riding by moonlight.
    Were you the group taking off from 4-way up Ridge when I was riding up Saguaro towards 4 way? Surprised how many people were out there last night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Were you the group taking off from 4-way up Ridge when I was riding up Saguaro towards 4 way? Surprised how many people were out there last night.
    Yeah, must have been us. we saw a light coming when we rolled from the intersection. Going out again tonight, but likely I am taking a new co-worker and his new bike out to Usery for afirst night ride and to get an intro to the area...

It was busy last night, I thought the conditions were awesome too..I like when there are new features and ruts and such..they break down again pretty quick. The ground was actually good and grippy..

No idea whats up with that tree either, I never could find it..But I would gladly club any mf-er dumb enough to vandalize or make signs or such..very uncool...I quit looking for it some time ago, but it has been on my mind..I so rarely go out in daylight, cant imgaine locating it at night..
    Check my pulse...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    the bunnies tell me the way...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Trail was wicked nasty! I hardly recognized some sections. Nice to meet some new folk. I need to do get to Hawes more often than I am. Good stuff, when it's not a rutted out clusterfvck. I saw the signs for the $5,000 fine for riding through TRW too. Sheesh.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Trail was wicked nasty! I hardly recognized some sections. Nice to meet some new folk. I need to do get to Hawes more often than I am. Good stuff, when it's not a rutted out clusterfvck. I saw the signs for the $5,000 fine for riding through TRW too. Sheesh.
    only if you're slower than a res cop

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I will bring the light next time. Good meeting you all.

I too like the change the rain brings.