Addicted to 2 wheels

Hawes Clean Up - Power Road Trail - Some time November/December

Every time I ride seeing trash, bums me out. I ussually pick up whatever I see, even the darn poo bags. Not here to rant on that though.

The Power Road Trail in the Hawes system is kind of gross. The cars tossing trash and the easy road access makes it dirty quick. Heck one of us, even dumped 6 or so old tires there. WTF?

I was thinking about organizing a little trash clean up on that section from the Park and Ride to the North staging/entrance. Anyone interested in helping?

Anyone one know what land manager owns that section? I think it might be Mesa? Also, is the trail their even legal? I would prefer to let the authorities know about the clean up for good local MTB PR, and maybe they can supply a dumpster. Happy to just load up a trailer and take it to the dump too. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Post date and time and I'll be there if after Nov 25. ;I don't often use it; tend to use the other side of the canal; but it does need it. Thanks for taking the initiative SH.
    TS

How much further ???
    I'll help you out bro. Let me know.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i think there's a homeless guy that lives in the wash just at the south end of where the barbed wire ends. you can see a chaise lounge down there and clothes hanging from palo verde branches down there.

How much further ???
    On a Hawes side note anyone notice all the reflectors someone is putting in the cactus? I did a night ride out there this week and noticed reflectors in several cactus (at least 8-10 that I saw), about 5-10 feet off the trail. Just found that to be a bit odd.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd be happy to help...just let us know when.

I also noticed the reflectors...crazy.

What about work days at Hawes? Has the NF had organized days in the past? I'm pretty new here, and would love to correct a few drainage issues out there.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Cool to see some initial interest. I will figure out how to get the ball rolling. Anyone got any ideas around land management issues, let me know.

I noticed the reflectors. I think someone is just having fun. I bet they are picking up reflectors on the ground and placing them in cactus and bushes. I did see one reflector on a stick that was placed in a bush. I though that was strange.

Mike, Not sure where you are talking about. I think we would avoid the bums stuff, and let him live in peace at Hawes.

I have heard of trails days with Tonto NF in the past. I don't feel anything is in that bad of shape that a big effort be made. Maybe I am wrong though. I have thrown rock in ruts forming to slow the erosion. I have seen some water bars of rock added by others. I saw one dirt crossing over a small 2 foot wash out, that was completely stupid, but rain will fix it eventually.

There is a huge rut going down mine and one on lower Twisted Sister that need to be filled in with rock. Some bushes need to trimed too. There are a few dangerous branches here and there too. I will try to hit those in the next week or two.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    the homeless guy (H) is well away from the path, but you can see his setup for a quick second is you happen to be looking over there as you ride by.
    i also see a dude in a dumpy white van (V) parked right next to the trail some weekends. i think hes camping cause he has 2 dogs (offleash) when he's there. pretty sure its not a legal area to set up camp.

Hawes Clean Up - Power Road Trail - Some time November/December-homeless.jpg