mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Hawes Begginer loop (12-15miles)

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, Friend and Myself are heading to Hawes tomorrow(Friday) for the first time (around 1:00PM) and we would like to do a 12-15 miles ride that let us appreciate the easy and not so easy of the trails.

We usually ride on SanTan Mountains (Dynamite and SanTan trails); Dessert Classic and once in awhile Pemberton but we want to explore other trails.

I have the map of the area!! But if we know what trails we should do would be great!

thanks in advanced

Gera
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

My other ride is your mom
    Just do the outside loop, CCW. Start at the walgreens and loop it.....Fenceline(north)>Hawes(east)>Saddleback(north)>Saguaro(up)>Mine(west)>Granite(south)>Ridge(west)>Hawes(south)>Fenceline(south)>Walgreens
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 04-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    You can also throw in the TRW stuff West of Power. It is all fairly easy out there. There are signs that warm of signs though. It is very well riden though.

How much further ???
    Be prepared for a step up over what you normally ride. You will have a great time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One thing I forgot to ask? Do you have to pay a fee?
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the tips! Definately that is what we want, Step up a little more..
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Never a fee at Hawes. Enjoy the ride.

EDR

Re: Hawes Begginer loop (12-15miles)

Quote Originally Posted by gera72 View Post
    One thing I forgot to ask? Do you have to pay a fee?
    There's only a fee if you leave gel packs or poop bags on the trail.

mtbr member
    Here is a great map of the Hawes area: http://www.globalbikesbikeshop.com/C..._HAWES_MAP.pdf

Enjoy! I'm there almost every Sunday.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Just do the outside loop, CCW. Start at the walgreens and loop it.....Fenceline(north)>Hawes(east)>Saddleback(north)>Saguaro(up)>Mine(west)>Granite(south)>Ridge(west)>Hawes(south)>Fenceline(south)>Walgreens
    This will give you a little of everything out there. There's a section on Saddleback with switchbacks coming down that is probably the toughest section out there but all rideable and Mine will be a step up on the pucker level as well. Have fun and keep the rubber side down!

How much further ???
    Definetly no $$$ required but I have donated some blood to the trail from time to time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    definitely do CCW, going CW on Saguaro is insane and I am usually a masochistic climber
    you got to add out and back on twisted sister, she be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    definitely do CCW, going CW on Saguaro is insane and I am usually a masochistic climber
    you got to add out and back on twisted sister, she be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
    i ride saguaro CW 90% of the time now. theres only 3 spots i consistently screw up on.
    i just stay in the lowest 3 gears the whole time.. and catch your breath a little on those few short flat areas

i hop on Power Road Trail (N) right across from Redmont st>> over the bridge to drop in on Hawes (e)>> Ridge (CW)>> Granite (n)>> Saguaro (CW) >> optional TS/WH out & back >> Saddle (s)>> Hawes Tail (w) to the top of the loop,, then bomb back down. a few times recently ive taken the lawes loop trail down into las sendas, you can get some crazy fast pavement speeds on Las sendas Mountain Dr & Eagle crest on your way back

How much further ???
    Boooo you edited out all the hard spots. lol I wanted to at least you attempt them.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i cant go up the big drop (dont think anyone can),, and the switchback before it,, and also the first switchback at the very top (it was doable last year before the monsoons rutted it too deep, the 2nd switchback right below it, i clear about 50%, but not when i filmed this time)
    my fav part is plowing up and thru the chunky-ass red-rock area which i'm up to about 80% now.

i'm self employed,, rule of thumb is abort before you eat it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride San Tan almost every week. Hawes is a comfortable step up, not too hard but some fun tech. If you ride San Tan sometime during the week in the evenings hit me up. I am looking for some people to ride with. All my ride buddies live on the west side, hard to get together with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdoactive View Post
    I ride San Tan almost every week. Hawes is a comfortable step up, not too hard but some fun tech. If you ride San Tan sometime during the week in the evenings hit me up. I am looking for some people to ride with. All my ride buddies live on the west side, hard to get together with them.
    OK- I will, my off days are every other wednesday adn friday afternoons and saturdays depending my kids soccer game in thing like that...But I let you know, just keep in mind we are not very fast riders, but we want to become better!!1

Unfortunate we couldn't make it to Hawes, my son had some event in school and we live a little bit far from Hawes, it would it rush everything..

Hopefully next week!!
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well Finally made it to Hawes!!!! and the D** a** of me choose the wrong direction (CW), Saguaro was painful!!!! Those trails bring me down back to earth) Definitely we are not ready!!! jajajaja but overall was a good adventure, jajajajaja with a lot, a lot HAB...
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Glad to hear you made it. Riding a new trail can be killer. Can't count the times i rode a new trail and ended up HAB and getting lost wasteing half a day finding my way back, but that is the adventure in life. Best rides are those you say to yourself "what the hell am I doing".

I PM'd you my number to ride san tan some time. Text me if you want to ride during the week. I am up to ride late afternoon evening during the week.