Ridin bikes is fun

Hawes almost all downhill trifecta

Or you could call this a good way to waist a Monday afternoon.

So the other day I was perusing the MBAA web site and trying to see if Iím motivated enough to race this season, when I saw that they say they are adding gravity events this season. I read their plan for McDowell Mountain race venue. Basically they have come up with a course with 3 mostly downhill sections where racers are only going to be timed on the downhill parts. Sounds kind of fun, but it made me think I could come up with a much better course of this nature right here on my home turf in the Hawes system. So this afternoon I headed out with the intent of stringing together the best of the best downhill sections and share them here.

Here is a link to the system so you can follow along.http://www.globalbikesbikeshop.com/C..._HAWES_MAP.pdf

First: Climb to the top (on the map linked, itís the Hawes loop trail in yellow east side of the map). This trail can be accessed from Las Sendas, you can shuttle most of the uphill or ride the road or the trail like I did today. I like this trail better than the upper part of the Microwave Tower trail because it flows better. I know some people like the Upper Tower trail because itís very techy. I chose this route because it flows so nicely. Once you get to the highest point of the Hawes Loop trail (my gps has been busted for awhile now so this is estimated) you will see a Karin I built with a small stick sticking out of the top. This is the starting point. From this point, the course runs mostly downhill for 2 to 3 miles (estimated). Ride north from the starting point until the Hawes Trail Loop meets with the Microwave Tower Trail. Follow the Tower Trail down hill (west, it turns into the Hawes Trail) continue dropping down until you get to the sharp right hairpin turn onto the Saddle Trail. The trail rolls along for a couple hundred yards until it turns down hill again, you are now in what most of us call Disney Land. Keep pushing on until it spits you out into the wash at the bottom. At this point there is another Karin on the right side of the trail to mark the end of the first section. Iím sure this was not my fasted time on this route but I did push it as much as I could today. I timed myself at 9:44 (minutes: seconds) on this section. This is one fun fast section with plenty of pucker factor if you are pushing it at all.

Second: I continued on the Saddle Trail in order to link up with the north end of the new not so ďSecret TrailĒ or whatever itís being called. Once the Saddle Trail meets Secret turn south and climb up to the highest point of this trail. If youíre coming from the south this is the part of the trail after coming out of the long sandy wash as the trail peaks or tops out. I built another Karin here to mark the start of Section 2. Section 2 is much shorter yet its super fun, Iíd guess itís about a mile long. From here the highest point of this trail, turn around to head north. The north half of this trail when riding from the midpoint of the trail in the northwardly direction, flows like a roller coaster, just super fun. The trail rolls along heading north mostly downhill with very little climbing, up down tight and twisty fun until it meets with the Saddle Trail. Keep heading north on Saddle and Carrying through the big switchbacks that are known as the techiest section of this trail system. A couple of notes about this section, first at the point that Secret meets Saddle there is a big rock on the right side of the trail, you get extra points if you ride up and over this rock. Extra points are also given if when cresting the small hill just before the switchbacks if you go to the right and ride through the rock garden. No real points are given you just feel cool when you hit both these features. I built another Karin just after exiting the switchbacks in the wash.
    My time for this section was 4:24. I did wash out on one of the sandy turns just before the Switchbacks, no carnage to report but it did cost me 5 to 10 seconds.

Third: The Mine Trail. Most of you who are still with me know how to get to the Mine Trail form the switchbacks. But real quick, continue on Saddle north until it meets the Saguaro Trail turn right and start climbing, when you get to the intersection of Twisted Sister keep left and keep on going up until you see the mine on your left. I built another Karin on the right side of the trail at the top as the marker for section 3. If you are stopped with the mine on your left look down to your right and you will see the Karin. Start here and just go down. Hang on tight if you are pushing things itís a fast, twisty, rocky fun ride. The only modification to this route is near the bottom at the point where the trail turns tightly to the left and takes you to the wash at the bottom, instead of going left head straight towards the road and follow the trail to the road. This little section is fast and fun, but most importantly it spits you out on the road where if youíre smart you have a shuttle car waiting to take you back to the top so you can do it all again. This section took me 5:05.

Iím not looking for any serious competition on this, I just thought it would be fun for me to post my times and see if others would be interested in trying to beat them. Iím no downhill guy, just a Hawes regular. I know there are lot of guys and some girls who could do this much faster, so get out and show me. If anyone is interested in a real time trial I could be up for that, or a group ride in the form of a tour would be fun also. Saturday will be good for me, anyone up for some fun?
    Last edited by surfndav; 12-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very cool write up! Be tempting to try and get some personal times...but I don't own a stopwatch of any kind.

But you've hit on why I just keep going back to that trailsystem (aside from it being so close)...it's FUN to ride it fast! Is Hawes very tech? Heck no. Does it take skill to ride it fast? I think so. And doing so puts a huge smile on my face every time.

Hope to bump into you out there some time.

parenting for gnarness
    is riding the Beetle mandatory on the 1st descent? If not, this "DH" race is worthless .

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    is riding the Beetle mandatory on the 1st descent? If not, this "DH" race is worthless .
    I know not of this Beetle you speak of. But no nothing is mandatory, it’s just a description of what I think is a fun route. Anyway what's the Beetle?

Edit; "you get extra points if you ride up and over this rock." Is this the Beetle? if so this is on the 2 nd desent.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I know not of this Beetle you speak of. But no nothing is mandatory, itís just a description of what I think is a fun route. Anyway what's the Beetle?
    its a B-line over some boulders on Upper Mudflaps, below the steep rutted waterbar section. I actually have no pics of it, but if you look for it you will see it. You can ride it up and down - fun an challenging both ways.

Mike-e
    That sounds like a lot of fun to me. I love riding out on Hawes, the first part you have listed is one of my favorite sections of trail ever! tomorrow I will go out and GPS map the course that you described. I'll post up the trip tomorrow sometime.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    That sounds like a lot of fun to me. I love riding out on Hawes, the first part you have listed is one of my favorite sections of trail ever! tomorrow I will go out and GPS map the course that you described. I'll post up the trip tomorrow sometime.
    Very cool, I ment to ask if some one could do just that (GPS) in my post. I'd reall like to see the elevation info.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still confused about location of this "Beetle" feature. And to be honest, don't know what Upper Mudflaps is. Is it the big hill between top of Hawes trail (where Powerline/new fence is at) and the turn to Saddle trail? Or is it simply the upper portion of the "Mudflaps" hill?

Plan to be out there sometime tomorrow. Not sure of riding route, but would like to find this Beetle rock/feature.

EDR
    I haven't been on Hawes in 2 months or so. I need to get back on the local trail, and when I do I'll take my gps and time my route from the upper hawes section down.

Great idea, thanks.

My other ride is your mom
    Upper Mudflaps is the section of Mudflaps, east of the Saddle trail junction...so uphill of the saddle trail junction. It's the section that climbs up to the tower if you keep going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hah! Now I'm really lost! I thought "mudflaps" was just the big hill East of "Fenceline" and West of Saddle trail (see map above in OP)??? From saddle/Hawes jxn, there's that one more big hill continuing East on Hawes trail, then you get to the top of the "old" Hawes Rd entrance (where the powerline and new fence are...according to map, it looks like intersection of Microwave Tower/Desert Pass).

Should I keep going East???

Ahhh, the heck. Just got a call and am meeting friends 8:30AM tomorrow (Weds) at Walgreens. We'll see what we find! Open for tagalongs, if anyone's interested. I'm slow when pedaling is required, so pace will be pretty friendly. Twisted Sis (blah) and Mine (yeah!) are also likely to be included in ride plan.

My other ride is your mom
    You're not lost....upper mudlaps = the section of hawes east of the saddle trail.

mtbr member
    Shuttles beer time challenge on the 24th anyone?
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Ridin bikes is fun
    Yeah rain is good, rode this route this morning and the rain gods were good to Hawes. Just enough rain to wash away some of the loose stuff, but not enough to carve any new ruts.

I improved my time on 2 sections and was slower on one. Section 1-10:10, Sec 2-3:57, Sec 3-4:39. On the mine trail I was flowing nicely about 2/3rdís of the way and I thought this is going nice and smooth, that thought was followed by oh crap I just jinxed myself. But it was cool; I shot out on the road unscathed. I feel kind of weird advertising my timeís, but my hope is others will either be inspired to out do them, or if others are out doing them I want to know what they are doing better than me to give me something to shoot for.

MattyBoyR6, I wish I could join you on the 24th, but Iím working. Iíll have the next 10 days off after that but I have non riding guest visiting so getting out riding will be as the opportunities arise.

dirt visionary
    Here's our almost all dh ride out at hawes. I take my daughter on this ride alot.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Mike-e
    I made it out to Hawes today after riding Tom's Thumb with Joey. I am pretty sure that I followed the route that you explained although I was only able to find 2 of the markers. Take a look at the map and let me know if the start and stop points are in the right place.

Thanks for the route and idea! that one is one of my favorites.

Here is a link to the trip, http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/588360

Ridin bikes is fun
    Nice Video, I bet my fork has half that travel., some day I want a big bike.

dirt visionary
    Its just my fr/am/xc bike 6.3" travel up front. Used maybe 4"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rode out there a little after 9:30AM yesterday. We didn't quite have 1st tracks, but not many in front of us (Dave?). No actual time trials, but WOW!...the trail was in great shape.

Started with the access trail behind the houses to Hawes, then up "Mudflaps" to Saddle, took both sections of the not-so-Secret trails, down switchbacks, up and around Mine, down ridge and out to Power Rd. The other 3 guys did TRW, but I was shot, so took pavement back to Walgreens.

Off to Red, White & Brew after for pizza and beers outside. AWESOME day!

I am Doctor Remulak
    So, after a few days of overeating and boozing I was looking to pedal today and decided to head out to Hawes for this time trial. I parked at Walgreens and rode through Las Sendas (ran into Maadjurger who was riding to get a burrito) to the start of the Hawes Loop trail, climbed up to the high point and got started. Without pushing too hard, my times were:

Section 1: 9:25
    Section 2: 4:02
    Section 3: 4:18

I also added a 4th timed section to my ride. After the mine section of riding down to the road I turned around a rode back up to Saguaro to Granite and out on the Ridge Trail. Section 4 starts by the boulders at the top of Ridge Trail just past the Granite intersection and ends in the bottom of the wash on the way back out to Power Rd. This section always puts a grin on my face after riding it.

Section 4: 3:02
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawes almost all downhill trifecta-img00036-20091226-1340.jpg  

Hawes almost all downhill trifecta-img00037-20091226-1345.jpg  

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    So, after a few days of overeating and boozing I was looking to pedal today and decided to head out to Hawes for this time trial. I parked at Walgreens and rode through Las Sendas (ran into Maadjurger who was riding to get a burrito) to the start of the Hawes Loop trail, climbed up to the high point and got started. Without pushing too hard, my times were:

Section 1: 9:25
    Section 2: 4:02
    Section 3: 4:18

I also added a 4th timed section to my ride. After the mine section of riding down to the road I turned around a rode back up to Saguaro to Granite and out on the Ridge Trail. Section 4 starts by the boulders at the top of Ridge Trail just past the Granite intersection and ends in the bottom of the wash on the way back out to Power Rd. This section always puts a grin on my face after riding it.

Section 4: 3:02

Very cool, good idea adding the forth section, that's also one of the signature downhill’s in the system. Your Mine Trail time is most impressive. My best time is 4:39, I was moving at top speed, so I'll have to really push it to improve on that.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    that vid looks so nice & flowy..i like trails where you can get a 46-tooth chainring workout the entire ride