banned

Have You Ever Seen A Forest Service Sign Like This Before?????????

Since I have retired from the Sedona USFS as a volunteer trail builder and trail maintenance worker, I have been on a five month road trip checking out different trail construction techniques and signage that could improve the user experience for the mountain biking community.

Today while riding in Bend, Oregon I was blown away to see signage that actually embraced the mountain biking community. I was told this sign is very common on a number of the many popular mountain biking trails in Bend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have You Ever Seen A Forest Service Sign Like This Before?????????-006a.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I love the riding in Bend! Mtn bikers have great representation and are respected by the community at large in Bend. COTA!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC3 View Post
    I love the riding in Bend! Mtn bikers have great representation and are respected by the community at large in Bend. COTA!
    TNC3:

I couldn't agree with you more. CODA seems to really have their act together. It's nice to see a community grasp the potential of our favorite sport. I understand they have 32 miles on the drawing board.

livin' the dream......
    Some where in the Colorado thread there is a sign posted from a JeffCo open space area detailing what activities are allowed on what days. Basically riding on certain days, hiking on certain days, etc. Not sure if this attempt of separating different user groups is successful or not, but it is an interesting approach to land management. Anyone have first hand experience with this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got back from a week in Bend. Saw plenty of those signs and, like you, took a few photos of them. Because motos and horses don't use the trails they were in pretty good shape -- albeit dry and dusty.

-dbflg-

Ow!
    I remember at least one trail that had this type of sign, separating uses by season(?), when I lived in central OR many, many moons ago (~1989). Mountain biking (along with horse and motor) was big even way back when, so they were trying different ways to resolve conflicts. I think it worked for the most part, but there were "violators". My experience was limited because I was just getting into MTBing at the time, so wasn't riding the more difficult trails and generally staying closer to Bend. I remember the loose, pumice soil. And the beer. Mostly the beer.

I also lived in central CO for awhile (~2002). Rode quite a bit there, but do not remember the separation of trail use so much.

Registered Bike Offender
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Some where in the Colorado thread there is a sign posted from a JeffCo open space area detailing what activities are allowed on what days. Basically riding on certain days, hiking on certain days, etc. Not sure if this attempt of separating different user groups is successful or not, but it is an interesting approach to land management. Anyone have first hand experience with this?
    Thats the Centenial Cone Park trails part of the Jefferson County Open Space system. On the weekends if the date is an even number it is mountain biking only, and if the date is an odd number it is hikers only. My wife is from Denver and we got back every summer, and I always bring my bike. Although I never rode these trails I remember seeing it in the brochure. I usually ride White Ranch Park or drive to Breckenridge and other areas. Denver is the best

Centennial Cone Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO
    "Grab life by the bars"

pedaller

Here's your sign...

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    That is the perfect sign for Highline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    That is the perfect sign for Highline.
    But how many modifications have been made to highline to allow you and your wife to ride it all?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    But how many modifications have been made to highline to allow you and your wife to ride it all?
    You think you will get appropriate response?

Here is the answer. How many trails have you worked on in the last 75 years. I have done more for the world biking scene then everyone else combined. Did you pay your dues? Did your wife cook breakfast for the Turons? Why can't I get paid in Burger King bucks anymore?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Yes, in NC @ Tsali Trails on Fontana Lake they alternate the (4) loops by day to separate horse <---> mtb, so never shall the two meet. Seems a pretty good system, where these trails are rolling, smooth & fast, and I imagine weekends see many users.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Yes, in NC @ Tsali Trails on Fontana Lake they alternate the (4) loops by day to separate horse <---> mtb, so never shall the two meet. Seems a pretty good system, where these trails are rolling, smooth & fast, and I imagine weekends see many users.
    Flyin:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember riding at Tsali the same day bear season opened. I pulled into Fontana Lake at 10 PM the day before my ride and their were pick-up trucks with cages in the back driving all over the place.

Being a city boy I had no clue what was going on, so I stopped and asked a good ole boy driving one of the pick ups, "what's going on". He said "behre huntten" then I heard his dogs barking in the back of the truck.

Well the next morning during our ride we shared the ride with a bunch of country boys running around the lake following their dogs with homing devices while the dogs chased the bears up the trees, so they could shoot the bears out of the trees.

I guess because the hunters were shooting in the air it was safe enough for the bike users to keep riding without getting killed, so we had fun riding on the trail while the hunters ran by chasing their dogs barking wildly out in the woods.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 08-24-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Trail Prospector
    TD,
    Not from the area, ridden there 4x w/o incident, and yet it sounds like a true Hillbilly Hootenany.
    Billy-Bobs, Blue Tick Hounds, ATV's, 50 cals, and booze vs. a few small Black Bears. Woohwee!!! Am I drunk, whar's my gun..
    Timing is everything, and it appears yours was extra special.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    Thats the Centenial Cone Park trails part of the Jefferson County Open Space system. On the weekends if the date is an even number it is mountain biking only, and if the date is an odd number it is hikers only. My wife is from Denver and we got back every summer, and I always bring my bike. Although I never rode these trails I remember seeing it in the brochure. I usually ride White Ranch Park or drive to Breckenridge and other areas. Denver is the best

Centennial Cone Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO
    Thanks. I was too lazy to go looking for the area in Jeffco. I lived there in the 90's and do miss riding there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Yes, in NC @ Tsali Trails on Fontana Lake they alternate the (4) loops by day to separate horse <---> mtb, so never shall the two meet.
    I don't really care about "meeting a horse" on the trail, but I do hate them for the fact that they turn the trails around here into 3" deep moon dust.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    use to have a pic of the sign at the competative loops at mcdowel mountian park. Suprised no one has posted it yet. Yes we have signs like that down in the valley strange there are none in the mountains with all the mountain bike trail builders there.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

banned
    [QUOTE=ttocs;9626153] strange there are none in the mountains with all the mountain bike trail builders there.[/QUOTE

In Sedona there has been a lot of discussion with the land manager about better signage to improve user orientation and reinforcement signage of where a user is at when they are on a trail with lots of intersections.

I have been told by FS employees that a large majority of FS employees expect people on the trail to be eagle scout certified and be able to figure out where they are at with minimal signage.

Jennifer Burns in Sedona is trying to improve signage and has made huge improvements over the the prior recreation manager. She is working on using "you are here" maps to help with orientating users. The problem with using such maps, that show no topography, is that if they are not orientated properly according to east and west, they can also be misleading.