Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EDR

Have you cleaned this...looking for video of it if so

Can anyone point me to a video of rider(s) cleaning the step up to the right on this feature out at Natty? If so I'd love to examine it. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you cleaned this...looking for video of it if so-kdk_0010_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ive gotten my rear JUST barely on it but my gearing was crap and my momentum not enough.. i had a big bash guard too that helped

I am Bob
    I have. U2metoo has a vid somewhere of it. I'll try to link it if I can find it. He also has a very embarassing video of me crashing on the stairs like an idiot.
    I don't do the right move anymore because I've destroyed many a tubeless tire doing it. pinch flatting on that move is almost unavoidable.

Pivotal figure
    No video but I have cleaned it. It's not super difficult but I usually just walk it. I've crushed my toes against the under side of the big rock too many times (gotta time the pedals just right...).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    No video but I have cleaned it. It's not super difficult .
    So says you..

I've tried it 50 times at least with one...1...only one, completely successful run at it. More often than not I can get my rear up but just fail at that point. I've gone over on my Camelbak a few times as well Mostly (see almost always) walk it unless I'm feeling very spunky at that point. I've been there when a group of 4 or 5 guys all hit it with no problem, that's impressive. Think it was the Azmntcycler crew. Anyway just looking for some visual reference of success.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've seen Waterfall Ronnie clean it. Cenobuns nearly cleaned it one day. No video of either. I don't even try anymore.

"No Clue Crew"
    I strapped on the GoPro and climbed up to it one morning with the intention of cleaning it or die trying. I have video of 8 or 9 very close but un-successful attempts at it. No flats or crashes, at least.

Poncho, let's climb up there some morning and figure that damn thing out. Maybe we can talk Ken into going with us because I've seen him climb up a lot of things and he has a way of making things look all too easy.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39 View Post
    Poncho, let's climb up there some morning and figure that damn thing out. Maybe we can talk Ken into going with us because I've seen him climb up a lot of things and he has a way of making things look all too easy.
    I'm in. Friday morning?

As far as Ken goes, I've seen his vids. He makes it all look easy. It's disheartening. Would love to hook up for some 'school'n.

Ken, here's another pic. I've seen you and others make the climb up, over the steep rock and keep roll'n (in the opposite direction of this rider, step up not shown in pic). I've yet to make this either. I have crashed straight into it like a tard. Almost went OTB's trying to get up it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you cleaned this...looking for video of it if so-zazazaz-1-.jpg  

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm in. Friday morning?

As far as Ken goes, I've seen his vids. He makes it all look easy. It's disheartening. Would love to hook up for some 'school'n.

Ken, here's another pic. I've seen you and others make the climb up, over the steep rock and keep roll'n (in the opposite direction of this rider, step up not shown in pic). I've yet to make this either. I have crashed straight into it like a tard. Almost went OTB's trying to get up it.
    I'm down for a bit. I get Xray results on my hand tomorrow and I think I'm going to have to get my ankle x-rayed also.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for bad sprains as opposed to mild breaks. I know the healing time is probably the same but with a sprain, I will tape it up and tough it out on a ride. Time will tell...

EDR
    I'm down for a bit. I get Xray results on my hand tomorrow and I think I'm going to have to get my ankle x-rayed also.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for bad sprains as opposed to mild breaks. I know the healing time is probably the same but with a sprain, I will tape it up and tough it out on a ride. Time will tell...
    That's cool. Sounds like you have issues that would sideline me for weeks, not days.

Anyhow if you want to make a go of it Friday post up in this thread. I plan on going solo if nothing else. My fat ass needs to ride more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If Kenbentit says so I believe it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm in. Friday morning?

That's the high line go up the triangle, its not to hard you just have to have some energy left when you get there from all the other climbs.
    I do not have video but it is fun and its not that hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can anyone point me to a video of rider(s) cleaning the step up to the right on this feature out at Natty? If so I'd love to examine it. Thanks
    At 7:50 min in this video it has me making it from my chest P.O.V , this does not let you see a rider doing it but it lets you see what it looks like to do it, its not to hard to do but you have to have some energy left from all the other work you have done getting there .
    Going up the steps on the left is harder for me , I have one little line through there and its way harder than the straight shot on the rt for me

before work part 2, 5-3-11 from kelstr on Vimeo.

Pivotal figure
    Like kelstr just said, it really requires you to have that extra bit of energy to be able to get over the initial hump. It's kinda like the rocky section at the top of the Mormon climb. Not terribly hard but you're a bit tired by that point so it takes more determination to do it. Totally agree about the steps to the left of that line though, super hard and no easy way thru it. Haven't even tried that one in years I won't be doing much for a while though, have to wait until my knee is better.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Like kelstr just said, it really requires you to have that extra bit of energy to be able to get over the initial hump. It's kinda like the rocky section at the top of the Mormon climb. Not terribly hard but you're a bit tired by that point so it takes more determination to do it. Totally agree about the steps to the left of that line though, super hard and no easy way thru it. Haven't even tried that one in years I won't be doing much for a while though, have to wait until my knee is better.
    Oh man Ken I hope your knee is not to bad , there is nothing worse than a part of the body that is pissed off and just wont cooperate , healing vibes your way my friend .

No Clue Crew
    Hell, I'd be happy being able to clean the series of steps on the left DOWN

Maybe we can talk Ken into going with us because I've seen him climb up a lot of things and he has a way of making things look all too easy.
    As far as Ken goes, I've seen his vids. He makes it all look easy. It's disheartening.
    Big time. Of course at my level most everyone else makes me feel that way...

My fat ass needs to ride more.
    Ditto... If a ride pans out I'd love to tag along if my time allows.

Knollician
    Most of the guys in our group can clean it. Lately the ledge has gotten bigger and is a bit tougher. You want to be sure you have tough rear tire as the ledge is becoming like a knife.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    At 7:50 min in this video it has me making it from my chest P.O.V , this does not let you see a rider doing it but it lets you see what it looks like to do it, its not to hard to do but you have to have some energy left from all the other work you have done getting there .
    Going up the steps on the left is harder for me , I have one little line through there and its way harder than the straight shot on the rt for me

Thats all editing!!!!

I love bike!
    Never seen anyone even attempt going up the line to the right although I've heard that's the "easiest" way to do it. I guess that makes sense since that's the only line I've even attempted going down. The stairs going down just looks like could cause disaster for some reason so I've always pussed it.

Saw Ronnie climb up the stairs which was very impressive.

parenting for gnarness
    i have cleaned it, but not often. You have to be very careful like others said about the lip, hence my friends call this one The Crab. I've seen some of the Jokers climb the 5 steps, I can't do that and have given up trying.

EDIT: I am seeing a bug in the post list - if you look at tiSS'er's post just above mine his name is shown as 'tiSS\'er' - looks like mtbr is trying to autoescape the single-quote.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

technique

I don't have video, but I can explain how to do it:

1. Start with your chain on the small chain ring in front and third largest in the back (if you
    start too low, you won't have enough speed to pop up on top)

2. Start at the corner just before the step (~15 feet or so)

3. Peddle hard and as you approach the step, pull up into a wheely and concentrate on getting your front wheel as far over the step as possible

4. Assuming you ride clipless, pull up on your peddles just before your rear tire reaches the rock (this avoids pinch flats)

5. You should now be on top of the rock, but you're not out of the woods. You will have lost all your momentum and you will most likely be at or near a dead stop (think track stand). Stay or get seated and concentrate on a smooth spin up the last little part.

I use this technique and am about 85% on this spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb View Post
    I don't have video, but I can explain how to do it:

1. Start with your chain on the small chain ring in front and third largest in the back (if you
    start too low, you won't have enough speed to pop up on top)

2. Start at the corner just before the step (~15 feet or so)

3. Peddle hard and as you approach the step, pull up into a wheely and concentrate on getting your front wheel as far over the step as possible

4. Assuming you ride clipless, pull up on your peddles just before your rear tire reaches the rock (this avoids pinch flats)

5. You should now be on top of the rock, but you're not out of the woods. You will have lost all your momentum and you will most likely be at or near a dead stop (think track stand). Stay or get seated and concentrate on a smooth spin up the last little part.

I use this technique and am about 85% on this spot.
    That is almost exactly the way I do it .......except I use granny 5 or 6 depending on how I am feeling coming up to that spot.

In the video I screwed myself and I was winded , my heart was pinned and I was in granny 7 and my little girl legs did not want to lever that big of a gear , ..my buddy Justin had already hit it and made it and I was trying to catch up ......I wanted him doing it in the video as well as I , most the guys in our group generally clean it also but it does take that little extra effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post

I know this video is in another thread, But I gotta say "man do I love watching that video".
    Great riding, great music selection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ View Post
    I know this video is in another thread, But I gotta say "man do I love watching that video".
    Great riding, great music selection.
    Thank you , I like all that old music also .
    I wanted to just show the climb at 7:50 for eatdrinkride But I can not get my original movies to load from my external drive ( I dropped my external drive in the garage and now its dead )
    so I grabbed the whole movie from Vimeo and put it on .

EDR
    I'll check out that vid soon, just got home.

As far as the technique described above I'd say that's what I do. Granny and 3 in back, slight lift of the rear end as needed. The problem for me is not the step up, well it is, but If feeling good I can usually manage to get my rear up...the rest is commitment. You gotta commit to keep pedaling. I usually just stop pedaling for some reason. Again, commitment is needed despite the fact you worry about stalling and falling backwards.

Losing 20 lbs would really help with these types of steeps as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast