Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Have we played the "what tire" game recently?

What tires for northern Arizona trails? Right now, I'm running a Specialized Purgatory up front and a Geax Sturdy in the back. For the first few days I was back in AZ, they seemed to be doing fine, but I can see both of them dying a quick death. The Purgatory I'm mostly happy with as I've had it almost a year, never lost air, and it had a lot of hard miles from PHX, Sedona, and Flag on it. It's really getting the side knobs chewed up though. They're getting cut out and a few care coming off in chucks, so he's about at the end. The Sturdy? In under two weeks, I bet 1/3 of the tread is gone and the sides on it look beaver chewed as hell. Unacceptable, IMO.

I heard that the Geax Saguaro is a good tire for Flagstaff/Sedona. True? Or something from Specialized? I'm just looking for something that can do XC/AM up north that won't die in two weeks.

Ahhh the pain....
    For general purpose, Purg or Rampage up front(easily should get 2k miles out of them on front), Saguaro, Conti x-king, Captain, in back is good in Flag (imho). I've yet to slice a sidewall up there (less sharp rocks), but there is a fair amount of abrasive stuff. If you get over 500-700 miles in a back tire, you're doing good.
    btw, bikebling has the folding, non-tnt version of the saguaro for 37.99 and you can find a code online for 10% off. Not a bad deal.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have Saguaros front and rear on my hard-tail and they work really well. I have ridden almost every trail in the valley, Sedona, and recently flag. I was worried about riding flag because the tread is not super aggressive, but the worked really well. It was even wet from the rain and had good grip. Was sliding down some of the steep stuff but that is more rider error than tire.

The Saguaros are great tires for this neck of the wood. Extremely grippy and tough. My friend has ground controls on his bike and sliced a sidewall in flag. I road the exact stuff and my tires held up to the hardest stuff.

Before anyone says anything i know you can ride the same trail(line) and have no problem but nest time has catastrophic failure. Just my two cents.

p.s. i run the tnt version tubeless.

mtbr member
    I use a ground control ust in the back. Not super grippy but it rolls good and so far it was bulletproof - whiskey, bct, sharp rock gallore etc. It's 830 gm which is not bad for thick sidewall UST. I got captain 2.2 up front and it works for me althoug I would like to try the purgatory up front.

mtbr member
    How aggressive are the side knobs on a Saguaro? Does it grab well on sandy stuff like you'd see on Lower Moto? What about just general Elden/Fort Valley stuff? Does the Saguaro wear well in abrasive stuff like you see in Flag? Would you do dual Saguaros or get another Purgatory for up front?

Ahhh the pain....
    It's so difficult giving tire advice since we all have different riding styles and expectations. For sand or the flag moon dust, not sure any tire other than a fat bike tire is gonna do great. ATV guys love paddle tires but using the analogous tread (big, blocky lugs) on a rear tire would be so slow. I know guys that run dual rampages (can you say monster truck style?) only because they are bullet proof in the desert. I also know guys that love a Saguaro on front (personally, it gives me no confidence on front but I have not tried it). I think a bigger, beefier front tire on front like a purg or rampage gives you some nice, roll over sh*t abilities without a ton of rolling resistance.
    So, if it were me, (I ride about 1/2 the year in Flag), I'd rock a purg or rampage up front with a saguaro rear and call it done. Best part, is you can get a rampage for all of $41 and a saguaro for $36... A specy tire is gonna set you back a fair bit more unless you've got a good bro deal at a lbs.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The side knobs aren't hyper aggressive but meaty enough for sand. I ride some sand washes in San Tan and they have no problem shoveling the sand. The only problem I can see with them is they tend to wear a little fast. They are soft sticky rubber so you do trade of with wear.

I am a heavy rider (260 at the moment) not sure if that tends to wear the rears down faster. I have never run purgatory so don't know there.

Like I said before, I rode Elden for the first time on Monday and the tires worked great. They will stick to the abrasive stuff but wear more than some of the harder rubber out there.

Meatbomb
    I don't ride flag but the purgatory up front and ground control on the rear work great for me in the McD's.

mtbr member

Round, a preferably with air.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Where's Mrwhir? MIA on a Flag tire thread. Not like him.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ground Control up front, Farmer John on rear!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Business up front and party on the rear. Yep, Patrick Swayze like, Roadhouse style.

bland
    Minion in the front ardent in the back. 1ply. Dr. Bronner's tubeless setup.

mtbr member

I'm currently using a Hans dampf up front and a honey badger in the back. Setup tubeless with Stan's.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 - Front
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution 29x2.25 - Rear
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    How aggressive are the side knobs on a Saguaro? Does it grab well on sandy stuff like you'd see on Lower Moto? What about just general Elden/Fort Valley stuff? Does the Saguaro wear well in abrasive stuff like you see in Flag? Would you do dual Saguaros or get another Purgatory for up front?
    Not much in the way of side knobs. The Saguaro doesn't grip anything exceptionally well. They do wear well. I've gotten 1000mi on a few.
    I still run them front and rear tubeless as an everyday training tire. I've done all my bikepacking trips on them without incident. I only run the cheap wirebead version ($27 at REI) and have had 1 sidewall issue in over 2 yrs. Anything I pay to race merits throwing on a different tire setup completely.
    Fair warning, I've heard plenty of stories about people slicing sidewalls on the folding versions.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of running the geax saguaro in the rear vs Nobby nic in front. I have been using nobby nics for a while, but in the rear they tend to wear down and start slipping on climbs after about 300-350 miles. My front seems to last for twice or triple that. I like NN as they have good grip and are fast enough to do the occasional race on them, but I would like to get more rear wear. Pretty much zero pavement miles.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    What do you guys think of running the geax saguaro in the rear vs Nobby nic in front. I have been using nobby nics for a while, but in the rear they tend to wear down and start slipping on climbs after about 300-350 miles. My front seems to last for twice or triple that. I like NN as they have good grip and are fast enough to do the occasional race on them, but I would like to get more rear wear. Pretty much zero pavement miles.
    I think Purgatory up front.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Up front, I'm running Ardent 2.25 on my 29er Squish and Ardent 2.4 on my Rigid SS 29er. I run Crossmarks 2.1 in back on both bikes. Tubeless & low(ish) PSI. I like the hook of the front tread (cause I have no technical skills) and the fast rolling / lower resistance in the rear.

I Ride mostly West Side PMP and pretty happy with their performance.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    Not much in the way of side knobs. The Saguaro doesn't grip anything exceptionally well.
    i noticed this about 5 minutes into my ride after replacing a rear captain with a folding saguaro.
    however i kept dropping the psi and it made a huge improvement. i just don't dare clunk down it on any sharp corners or it will go down to the rim.

mtbr member
    If not already mentioned, I think seating/holding air on a tubeless setup is important too... I find anything specialized "2 bliss" on a stans (arch ex) rim holds air exceptionally well....

I used to be a Maxxis Ignitor fan. But since my burp accident, its Specialized captain controls on stans rims... 2.2 front 2.0 back

mtbr member
    2.4 Ardent up front, tubeless. Great traction and toughness. I'm still looking for a high volume rear to replace the WTB WW old style. I have ripped 2 Bonty 29-4 in the last three weeks, so stay away from them. I may try a Ardent out back but not sure of how that tread pattern will work.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

livin' the dream......
    I have about 1,200 miles on a Saguaro TNT front / Spec. Fast Trak UST rear set up. No issues, but it is time to replace the Fast Trak as is it is breaking loose on the short, steep stuff coming out of washes. I do have a decent amount of road miles on these tires too...

Happy Trails
    Don't believe the fast guys who tell you Maxxis Ikon up front is all you need .... says me. I need something beefier/knobbier.

That's all I got....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    I have ripped 2 Bonty 29-4 in the last three weeks, so stay away from them.
    were you riding on 26er rocks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast