Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981

    Has anyone used Bike Doctor - Chris Fielder ?

    Could use some opinions. His website sucks - no info what-so-ever. Good yelp and google reviews, but that could be all sham.

    Bike stores close way too early for me to get there after work (talking about you Sunday Cycle) and others that are open later take forever to get anything done (yes that's you Exhale). "Hi, can I get these brakes installed - yes, bring your bike in two weeks." Geez thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Could use some opinions. His website sucks - no info what-so-ever. Good yelp and google reviews, but that could be all sham.

    Bike stores close way too early for me to get there after work (talking about you Sunday Cycle) and others that are open later take forever to get anything done (yes that's you Exhale). "Hi, can I get these brakes installed - yes, bring your bike in two weeks." Geez thanks.


    Don't know about the Bike Doctor, but you might try this guy. I haven't had any work done yet but have ordered parts from him seems to know his stuff and he can come to you.
    His name is Jon Driver

    Thrill Bikes - Home

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Don't know about the Bike Doctor, but you might try this guy. I haven't had any work done yet but have ordered parts from him seems to know his stuff and he can come to you.
    His name is Jon Driver

    Thrill Bikes - Home
    Just talked to him, sounds like a good guy.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: papatini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    116
    Chris Fiedler is an outstanding bike mechanic, and one of the best wheel builders I have ever met. He is also a great guy, and has given me some real solid deals. Once traded my 68 Baracuda for a brand new DBR Vlink (long time back). A lot of folks know him and trust him.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by papatini View Post
    Chris Fiedler is an outstanding bike mechanic, and one of the best wheel builders I have ever met. He is also a great guy, and has given me some real solid deals. Once traded my 68 Baracuda for a brand new DBR Vlink (long time back). A lot of folks know him and trust him.
    Thanks, good to know. Too bad, I couldn't get a hold of him.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomvader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    382

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Could use some opinions. His website sucks - no info what-so-ever. Good yelp and google reviews, but that could be all sham.

    Bike stores close way too early for me to get there after work (talking about you Sunday Cycle) and others that are open later take forever to get anything done (yes that's you Exhale). "Hi, can I get these brakes installed - yes, bring your bike in two weeks." Geez thanks.
    Bart: I would think you are safe with Chris. He has a ton of experience. I first met Chris in 1992 after taco-ing my rear wheel on my Trek 8000 HT on Trail 100. My friend Kurt drove me over to the shop he worked at on 19th Ave, south of Indian School. Back in 1992, I didn't have much money and surely couldn't afford a new wheel, which I thought was the ONLY solution. Well, Chris worked on it for about an hour and fixed it! I was amazed. I ended up riding on that same wheel through college and then some.

    -Richie
    -boom

  7. #7
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Not trying to thread-jack, but find worthy shops in the valley, is anybody familiar with Industry Bikes in Chandler? I stopped by the store and the owner was a really nice guy, shop seemed great, but I've never had any work done there or know anybody who has.

    Appreciate any input, I don't get much done at the shop, but good to have a go-to place when needed.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Could use some opinions. His website sucks - no info what-so-ever. Good yelp and google reviews, but that could be all sham.

    Bike stores close way too early for me to get there after work (talking about you Sunday Cycle) and others that are open later take forever to get anything done (yes that's you Exhale). "Hi, can I get these brakes installed - yes, bring your bike in two weeks." Geez thanks.
    Don't get me started.
    "Hi, I need to get a spoke replaced and the wheel trued. How long will it take?"
    "Well, we have to order the spokes (!). It just depends. [As an aside] they don't allow to keep parts in stock."

    BTW, I just needed run-of-the mill spokes, not anything fancy...

    This is the same shop where I inquired if they had a 10-speed Shinmano derailleur (ANY LEVEL) in stock. Nope, they didn't have one. He acted like 10-speed gearing was foreign to him and it would be silly carry even one!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,191

    Has anyone used Bike Doctor - Chris Fielder ?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Not trying to thread-jack, but find worthy shops in the valley, is anybody familiar with Industry Bikes in Chandler? I stopped by the store and the owner was a really nice guy, shop seemed great, but I've never had any work done there or know anybody who has.

    Appreciate any input, I don't get much done at the shop, but good to have a go-to place when needed.
    Never been but know somebody who works there part time. He speaks highly of it.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Not trying to thread-jack, but find worthy shops in the valley, is anybody familiar with Industry Bikes in Chandler? I stopped by the store and the owner was a really nice guy, shop seemed great, but I've never had any work done there or know anybody who has.

    Appreciate any input, I don't get much done at the shop, but good to have a go-to place when needed.
    The crew at Industry is great. Mike the owner of the shop is friendly and down to earth, and Craig the head mechanic, and all around nice person, is really the only person other than myself that I would let touch my bikes. I am the first to admit, that I can be a pain in the ass when it comes to dealing with things like creaks and squeaks on bikes, and I pretty much know that he will get it figured out. In the short time the shop has been open, they have already gone out of their way on a few things to help me out. Cannot recommend them enough.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    177

    Has anyone used Bike Doctor - Chris Fielder ?

    I have used Chris before and have always been happy with his work. Plus he's a nice guy. I have also had less then good experiences with exhale, actually more than once. I bought a bike from them in 09 and got a good deal but after that the service sucked. I tried giving them many chances and was never happy with the service or the attitudes I got from them. Just my 2 cents.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Don't know about the Bike Doctor, but you might try this guy. I haven't had any work done yet but have ordered parts from him seems to know his stuff and he can come to you.
    His name is Jon Driver

    Thrill Bikes - Home
    Jon is a good guy, used to work with him years ago. You can go to him with confidence.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69
    Try Swiss American. They are open till 7. Good guys and pretty fast turnaround.

  14. #14
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    The crew at Industry is great. Mike the owner of the shop is friendly and down to earth, and Craig the head mechanic, and all around nice person, is really the only person other than myself that I would let touch my bikes. I am the first to admit, that I can be a pain in the ass when it comes to dealing with things like creaks and squeaks on bikes, and I pretty much know that he will get it figured out. In the short time the shop has been open, they have already gone out of their way on a few things to help me out. Cannot recommend them enough.
    Much appreciated.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  15. #15
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    957
    Ditto experience that I had with him back in the 90's before I really started working on my own bikes. Good to see he is still around!

    Quote Originally Posted by papatini View Post
    Chris Fiedler is an outstanding bike mechanic, and one of the best wheel builders I have ever met. He is also a great guy, and has given me some real solid deals. Once traded my 68 Baracuda for a brand new DBR Vlink (long time back). A lot of folks know him and trust him.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Well, two days later I haven't heard back from Chris. Already had two conversations with Jon and are in the process of setting up time.
    THanks guys.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    17
    All experiences with Thrill have been great. My bikes go to Jon for service.

  18. #18
    minimac
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31

    Bike Dr

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Could use some opinions. His website sucks - no info what-so-ever. Good yelp and google reviews, but that could be all sham.

    Bike stores close way too early for me to get there after work (talking about you Sunday Cycle) and others that are open later take forever to get anything done (yes that's you Exhale). "Hi, can I get these brakes installed - yes, bring your bike in two weeks." Geez thanks.
    Is he the guy who rides with the custom tricked out bi level bar? I think he has one arm shorter than the other.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: papatini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    116
    Yes. That's Chris.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    minimac
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    He about ran me and my 2 buddies off the BCT at Rock Springs Sunday. We were all about half a mile apart and he basically did the same thing to all three of us when he came up behind us. Apparently none of us moved over fast enough for him ( 3 mili seconds) so he felt it was ok to get his undies in a bunch and yell at us to move over. News flash little dude, where the f are you going to move over on BCT? Trust me, you had to be there to really get it. The guy was a real tool!
    Apparently he was racing from Rock Springs to Little Pan and back trying to set a personal best and he forgot a few things.
    1) He's not the only one on the trail.
    2) It's not HIS trail.
    3) Save that BS for race day and even then, don't go there!
    4) If you're going to be a total ahole, have enough brains to not drive a vehicle with your company name on it.
    I just wondering if that was an isolated case or was that his typical trail etiquette.
    Has anyone else had the pleasure?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,834
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Since you have done the work of tracking down the offender through this thread, and completely trashed him- are you now going to use the contact info above, actually contact the alleged offender and figure out why he ran you down? Or are you just going to be a key board cowboy? Not sure why you even posted this before you contacted the dude.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

  22. #22
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Since you have done the work of tracking down the offender through this thread, and completely trashed him- are you now going to use the contact info above, actually contact the alleged offender and figure out why he ran you down? Or are you just going to be a key board cowboy? Not sure why you even posted this before you contacted the dude.
    If somebody is a jerk why bother contacting them and telling them? they are probably already aware of how they behave. Dude just relayed his personal experience. I'm sure the 'alleged offender' is free to speak for himself on the thread if he wants.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky09 View Post
    He about ran me and my 2 buddies off the BCT at Rock Springs Sunday. We were all about half a mile apart and he basically did the same thing to all three of us when he came up behind us. Apparently none of us moved over fast enough for him ( 3 mili seconds) so he felt it was ok to get his undies in a bunch and yell at us to move over. News flash little dude, where the f are you going to move over on BCT? Trust me, you had to be there to really get it. The guy was a real tool!
    Apparently he was racing from Rock Springs to Little Pan and back trying to set a personal best and he forgot a few things.
    1) He's not the only one on the trail.
    2) It's not HIS trail.
    3) Save that BS for race day and even then, don't go there!
    4) If you're going to be a total ahole, have enough brains to not drive a vehicle with your company name on it.
    I just wondering if that was an isolated case or was that his typical trail etiquette.
    Has anyone else had the pleasure?
    Are you Tyler?

    I only see 2 riders posted rides on Strava on Feb. 2nd on the segment you mentioned.
    Strava Segment | Whole Enchilada Part 1 BCC to LPL

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,191
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Are you Tyler?

    I only see 2 riders posted rides on Strava on Feb. 2nd on the segment you mentioned.
    Strava Segment | Whole Enchilada Part 1 BCC to LPL
    Creepy...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Creepy...
    Welcome to cyberage amigo...

  26. #26
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky09 View Post
    He about ran me and my 2 buddies off the BCT at Rock Springs Sunday. We were all about half a mile apart and he basically did the same thing to all three of us when he came up behind us. Apparently none of us moved over fast enough for him ( 3 mili seconds) so he felt it was ok to get his undies in a bunch and yell at us to move over. News flash little dude, where the f are you going to move over on BCT? Trust me, you had to be there to really get it. The guy was a real tool!
    Apparently he was racing from Rock Springs to Little Pan and back trying to set a personal best and he forgot a few things.
    1) He's not the only one on the trail.
    2) It's not HIS trail.
    3) Save that BS for race day and even then, don't go there!
    4) If you're going to be a total ahole, have enough brains to not drive a vehicle with your company name on it.
    I just wondering if that was an isolated case or was that his typical trail etiquette.
    Has anyone else had the pleasure?
    Were you guys wearing headphones? If so, it changes nothing. If your post is true, I can't imagine an explanation, short of his wife is about to give birth, as a legitimate excuse. Damn, I wish everyone was friendly out there. Wave hi to all you encounter and smile.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  27. #27
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir View Post
    Were you guys wearing headphones? If so, it changes nothing. If your post is true, I can't imagine an explanation, short of his wife is about to give birth, as a legitimate excuse. Damn, I wish everyone was friendly out there. Wave hi to all you encounter and smile.
    You just hit on one of my biggest complaints on the trail, trail runners, hikers, and bikers with two earbuds in and playing audio so loudly that they don't hear you trying to warn them you're about to pass. Just not a good idea.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  28. #28
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,601
    Lets not forget off leash dogs and blue bags of poo. Might as well get them all in one thread.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Are you Tyler?

    I only see 2 riders posted rides on Strava on Feb. 2nd on the segment you mentioned.
    Strava Segment | Whole Enchilada Part 1 BCC to LPL
    Jump to conclusions much?
    Who said anything about Strava? İ

  30. #30
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Lets not forget off leash dogs and blue bags of poo. Might as well get them all in one thread.
    Funny thing about headphone critics. They criticize headphone users for not enjoying the "ride for the ride", but they are always in such a damn agitated rush to pass people.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Jump to conclusions much?
    Who said anything about Strava? İ
    The OP said that the guy was racing and acting like an ahole.... sooooooo...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    You just hit on one of my biggest complaints on the trail, trail runners, hikers, and bikers with two earbuds in and playing audio so loudly that they don't hear you trying to warn them you're about to pass. Just not a good idea.
    What about the bikers blasting their mini boomboxes on the bike

  33. #33
    minimac
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    cstem. In an attempt address your comments: 1st, I'm not sure what "keyboard cowboy" means, however, that may in fact be me. Sounds rather sporty.
    2nd: there is no "alleged" offender. There is simply an offender. Re read my post, that briefly explains what happened.
    3rd: I did not "completely trash" the guy. Seriously? If I wanted to trash him, I sure as heck could. But no reason escalate it.
    4th: I know why he did it. He was timing and trying to beat a previous time.
    5th: There's no reason to contact him. As far as I'm concerned, it's over.
    6th: I posted to be sure I had the right "Bike Dr".
    Look, I get it! I know what he did and why he did it. I just didn't like it. I've heard about that type of behavior. I've just never experienced it.

  34. #34
    minimac
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    cstem. In an attempt address your comments: 1st, I'm not sure what "keyboard cowboy" means, however, that may in fact be me. Sounds rather sporty.
    2nd: there is no "alleged" offender. There is simply an offender. Re read my post, that briefly explains what happened.
    3rd: I did not "completely trash" the guy. Seriously? If I wanted to trash him, I sure as heck could. But no reason escalate it.
    4th: I know why he did it. He was timing and trying to beat a previous time.
    5th: There's no reason to contact him. As far as I'm concerned, it's over.
    6th: I posted to be sure I had the right "Bike Dr".
    Look, I get it! I know what he did and why he did it. I just didn't like it. I've heard about that type of behavior. I've just never experienced it.

  35. #35
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,601
    are you going to continue to re post the same reply daily until you get a response

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    564
    I have ridden with Chris. On the trail and on the road. He handles a bike better than 95% of the people out there with two complete arms. He is definitely a racer. I like it when he shows up to my favorite road ride because I know I'm going to 'get my money's worth' trying to stay in his draft. If he forced you off the trail it wasn't right. If he passed you a bit to close for comfort it might not have seemed like a big deal to him.

    I've never had him do any work for me (I do 99% of the work on my bikes) but I know folks who have. The fact that he is busy is testament to his return customer base. One last thing. If you like the idea of having someone work on your bike that rides a ton and has the ingenuity to rig road and mountain bikes to work with 2/3s of a right arm then he is the guy.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot View Post
    I have ridden with Chris. On the trail and on the road. He handles a bike better than 95% of the people out there with two complete arms. He is definitely a racer. I like it when he shows up to my favorite road ride because I know I'm going to 'get my money's worth' trying to stay in his draft. If he forced you off the trail it wasn't right. If he passed you a bit to close for comfort it might not have seemed like a big deal to him.

    I've never had him do any work for me (I do 99% of the work on my bikes) but I know folks who have. The fact that he is busy is testament to his return customer base. One last thing. If you like the idea of having someone work on your bike that rides a ton and has the ingenuity to rig road and mountain bikes to work with 2/3s of a right arm then he is the guy.
    I have know and ridden with Chris as long ago as the "High Zoot" series, 95? I believe he won the 25-35 Expert state championship that year. He is an expert bike mechanic as well. Remember Conejo's ?

    As to his riding on BCT, I have ridden BCT with Chris about a year ago we rode together several times. I will admit, he will ride "through" other riders. In Chris' defense, he does it with no malice. He HONESTLY believes BCT is wide enough for two way traffic. I specifically asked him.

    And yes, he is an expert bike handler as well, smooth as silk and fast. Total old school, like I said, not aggressive passing, just honestly thinks the trail can handle it.

    Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark194's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    284
    2nd vote for Swiss American bikes!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    I have know and ridden with Chris as long ago as the "High Zoot" series, 95? I believe he won the 25-35 Expert state championship that year. He is an expert bike mechanic as well. Remember Conejo's ?

    As to his riding on BCT, I have ridden BCT with Chris about a year ago we rode together several times. I will admit, he will ride "through" other riders. In Chris' defense, he does it with no malice. He HONESTLY believes BCT is wide enough for two way traffic. I specifically asked him.

    And yes, he is an expert bike handler as well, smooth as silk and fast. Total old school, like I said, not aggressive passing, just honestly thinks the trail can handle it.

    Steve
    I agree. Sometimes bikers either yield or require a yield where it's really not needed - like most of the Sonoran Preserve where you have more than five feet of trail with margins.
    BCT has some super skinny sections though..

Similar Threads

  1. Just what the doctor ordered
    By pointerDixie214 in forum Passion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
  2. Doctor Recommendations?
    By oldmanjoe in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
  3. GT Bicycles Demo at Rosaryville Park, Saturday Oct 29, Sponsored by Bike Doctor
    By GTRep in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
  4. 1984 Chris Pauley / Greg Diamond bike
    By First Flight in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 06:26 AM
  5. Chris Hansen Confronts Suspected Bike Thief
    By Enduramil in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •