Always in the wrong gear

Has anyone ever camped at a trail head?

I'm planning a trip to flag and want to do a two day on Elden. Thinking about car camping at the Sunset TH on Schultz. Anyone done it? I checked the Forest Service site and can't find any info that says you can't camp there.

Any insight is great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I'm planning a trip to flag and want to do a two day on Elden. Thinking about car camping at the Sunset TH on Schultz. Anyone done it? I checked the Forest Service site and can't find any info that says you can't camp there.

Any insight is great!
    Usually (unless there is an official campground) you cannot camp at a trailhead. Just call the coconino national forest. They will be able to help you. Los Burros is an exception since there is an official campground there.

You can always disperse camp close the the trailhead. But just not AT the trailhead. If you are a tent camper you can disperse camp anywhere. Only exception would be near game drinkers and trailheads. Also keep your vehicle within 30 feet of the road.
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    if you go on google maps, you can see quite a few pull outs on shultz pass road. So there should be plenty of places to disperse camp near the trailhead to the east. I think the road is closed going out to the west from this trailhead.
    Below Par on the Gnar

parenting for gnarness
    i've camped there before (4yrs ago?) and it was legal at the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i've camped there before (4yrs ago?) and it was legal at the time.
    Here are the rules.
    Coconino National Forest - Home

Not sure this trailhead is an "established recreation area". I think if there are no signs, go for it. Best to call the office.

Chollaball, I assume there were no signs ?
    Below Par on the Gnar

My other ride is your mom
    Just drive up the road a bit (schultz pass rd - FR420) and camp off the road either on the west side after the cattle guard....plenty of places to car camp.

mtbr member
    You may also want to check out the road closures.

Coconino National Forest - Alerts & Notices
    Below Par on the Gnar

Always in the wrong gear
    Sweet thanks fellas. Ill give them a call and double check.

Always in the wrong gear
    Gave them a call. Said that normally No Camping at TH's. But the Sunset Trailhead does provide dispersed camping just east of the TH (toward the service gate).

mtbr member
    Gave them a call. Said that normally No Camping at TH's. But the Sunset Trailhead does provide dispersed camping just east of the TH (toward the service gate).
    thanks for posting that... good to know
    Below Par on the Gnar

Give it a crank
    I saw several vehicles camped out there overnight during the July 4th weekend. I don't know if they were legit or not.

There are a few good spots nearby where you can park and camp right next to the AZT too. One way to find them is to take a short ride down the AZT and eyeball them from the trail.

parenting for gnarness
    perhaps i am mixing up the TH and just east of the TH. we camped, like, 100 feet past the TH -- its all kinda tracked out so i assumed it was all the same 'TH'.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    perhaps i am mixing up the TH and just east of the TH. we camped, like, 100 feet past the TH -- its all kinda tracked out so i assumed it was all the same 'TH'.
    As did I! The lady explained that dispersed camping is scattered along Schultz Pass rd. She said many spots allow car camping up to 300' off the road (dotted lines on the motor vehicle map). Apparently that road off the TH is apart of the new motor vehicle system.

I was confused when she first explained it. So I mentioned that specific spot off the TH and she said its a dispersed camping spot separate from the Sunset TH. Not to mention she was adamant about No Campfires, but per the FS website, propane grills are allowed.