Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hardtail ok for Tour of the White Mountains?

Never done this event or ridden in the area. Is the 35 mile course 9er HT friendly?

mtbr member
    Not an expert by any means but have been riding my rigid 29er up here with no huge issues (except sore back and arms). You should be just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaits View Post
    Never done this event or ridden in the area. Is the 35 mile course 9er HT friendly?
    It's fine, but some of the stuff is bumpy because of the damn lava rocks sticking out of the trail. But I'm riding my HT.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    It's fine, but some of the stuff is bumpy because of the damn lava rocks sticking out of the trail. But I'm riding my HT.
    (oops- didn't mean to quote. Hammered. In all the wrong ways. :-) Tired.)

Rode the course today, on my 29er HT, and it was perfectly fine. Bumpy, as has been mentioned, but even on full squish that trail seems to beat you up. You'll be fine.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been looking for the new course map for my Garmin, anyone have the full 60 mile ouput for a Garmin or similar?

Spatialized, what sort of gearing are you running on your full rigid? (single speed I am guessing)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks all!

mtbr member
    I am taking my 29HT for the 35m.
    It's not very technical from what I been told.

I just took my 29HT to Templeton trail in Sedona and wished I had a full-suspension.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I'd say the hartail would be the preferable choice for that kind of distance. Or a very racy short-travel ride just to take the edge off.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Rigid worked fine for me.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode a 26" aluminum hardtail last year. It was doable. Although my kidneys felt every friggin babyhead toward the end.

Totally doable though. Ride what you got.

mtbr member
    I don't even own a full suspension.... I only ride a hardtail... maybe its being an ex rugby player but it doesn't bother me... I think its whatever you are used to...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I may give it a go on my newly purchased full rigid. I'm still tweaking the air pressures on my tires. I'm going for a ride this afternoon !!

I am Walt
    A hardtail is perfect for this course, although bumpy, particularly on the 60-mile course. I would not recommend a rigid, given all the embedded lava rock...

29er SS gearing of 32x19 or 20 is perfect. Course is far more SS friendly than the Whiskey.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll be out (from San Diego) with my HT.. thanks for the advice all.

BTW, I dug up a course for the 35 miler. I found it on Strava, used the TCX exporter, uploaded it to Garmin. Here it is: Garmin Connect - Tour of the White Mountains

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it looks good. I set the time on it to 3:40, which seems like a good goal for me.

If you want to use it, you should be able to just click on "Send to Device" from that page.

If you want to tweak the goal time, just click "Save to myConnect", then find it in your courses, edit, and change the time as you wish!

Or, if you want the TCX I based it on, it's here: Tour of the White Mountains - TCX Download

Good luck everyone!

mtbr member
    I could have used a FS on the blue ridge trail, otherwise the HT was just fine

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My HT beat the **** out of me. I think a light FS XC is the way to go on that course. Like an S-Works Epic. Anyone got $8k for me?

Beat my goal time and got in under the "Whiskey hour", so I'm stoked anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I rode a 26" aluminum hardtail last year. It was doable. Although my kidneys felt every friggin babyhead toward the end.

Totally doable though. Ride what you got.

My HT beat the **** out of me. I think a light FS XC is the way to go on that course. Like an S-Works Epic. Anyone got $8k for me?

Told ya.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post

Told ya.
    Indeed you did!

My problem is my FS is an old aluminum tank at something like 35 pounds. With a ProPedal shock that really doesn't work that well.

I just can't bring myself to use that over my 20 pound HT.

Sill had a great time getting beat up!

Thanks all!

aka Diesel
    Rigid, HT, FSR, Magic Carpet... doesn't matter, the course huuuuuurts.

Fun event this year, although I've never seen so many people hit the dirt! Pipers down, everywhere!!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member

To be fair, the section between aide station 2/4 was new I believe. And it was much rockier than the previous section. I absolutely HATED that section.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    My experience: 280 people for the 35 mile run, I started as one of the last. Traffic jams were a nightmare. I managed to finish 140th. I took wrong turn on one of the trails and had to back track - wasted 30 minutes. I also wiped out on crossing the stream....thankfully before entering the water so didn't get wet.
    I lost one of my water bottle, didn't put in on all the way and the course just shook it out of the cage. I saw multiple wipe outs and two flats that happened right in front of me.
    Tri-tip sandwich, free beer, good music and fantastic weather made it for a nice finish.
    Wife did a 15 mile with a friend and she loved it.
    Great event over all. Maybe next time I try the 60 mile....

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Maybe next time I try the 60 mile....

mtbr member
    I was surprised by the sheer amount of litter everywhere this year! I saw bottles, gel packs, shot blocks, etc. just scattered about on the 35 mile course. What happened this year?! The new re-route on Blue Ridge still sucked ass as usual. I was very surprised at how much T.R.A.C.K.S. cleaned up the rocky mess that used to be on the Panorama switchbacks. They did a fantastic job!

I somehow have managed to shave off 50 minutes of my 35 mile time each year. I did 7:10 in 2009, 6:20 in 2010, and 5:30 this year. I even managed to get there in time for the awards and beer! Woo hoo!! Here's to another 50 minutes off in 2013. Just then, MAYBE I might try the 60 mile (shudder).

There was one spot on the Panorama climb where I got stuck so I pulled aside and took a breather. It was funny watching everyone else hammering away uphill and then getting stuck on that same rock. I remember seeing Dee getting stopped on that rock and yelling at it. LOL

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you guys must be crazy for wanting to try the 60 miler. Rode the 35 with my wife on our FS rigs and still got beat up pretty good between aid 2 and the finish. Posted good times though; 3:46 for me and 3:39 for her. Yeah, my wife kicked by butt Maybe next year. . .

Epic Rides puts on a great race. I think the TOWM is definitely my favorite. Relaxed atmosphere, camping, fun vibe, free beer!!! We also do the Whiskey as we live in Prescott, but that's just getting to be too much. Too many people and I HATE the Copper Basin climb from the 1/2 way through the race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I counted about 3 or 4 gels on the 35 trail. That was bad enough, but sadly I actually expected to see more.

I went through two gels myself. In both cases I just stuck them back in my jersey. That crap rinses out with a little water. Better than littering!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast