Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gym suggestion in PHX?

I need a gym suggestion in PHX, somewhere in the Biltmore/Camleback area.

Somewhere I can go in, run, lift, and maybe shower. Nothing fancy, don't need a lot of eye candy blocking up machines and such. I like to put my iPod on, work out, get out. No time for chit chat.

Any suggestions? Clean would be nice, other than that I am pretty simple.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I need a gym suggestion in PHX, somewhere in the Biltmore/Camleback area.

Somewhere I can go in, run, lift, and maybe shower. Nothing fancy, don't need a lot of eye candy blocking up machines and such. I like to put my iPod on, work out, get out. No time for chit chat.

Any suggestions? Clean would be nice, other than that I am pretty simple.
    The only 3 gyms I know of in the Camelback/Biltmore area are the 24 Hour Fitness on 32/Camelback, LA Fitness on 20/Camelback, and Bally's on 40/Indian School. The Bally's is probably the most no-nonsense club out of them all, although the facilities at the 24 Hour Fitness are better (I belong to both). Never been to LA Fitness, although some of my friends belonged to that gym when they lived here and liked it.

I would check all 3 and see which one offers the best deal.

If you are a Costco member, you can get a 3yr membership to 24 Hr Fitness for $499, which turns out to be $13/mo.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I like LA fitness they have the most gyms so I can go anywhere.

banned
    Dreamy Draw...

Black and Sticky

At the risk of getting flamed

Try the Family Life Center at North Phoenix Baptist Church. It's in the complex at corner of Central and Bethany Home. You're probably thinking, what a stupid idea going to a church for a gym, but actually it's a fairly decent and rather large, well equipped facility. My needs are similar to yours (no chit chat, just cardio, resistance, shower, and out) and I've been happy there for over 3 years. Best of all, it is not crowded, even at peak times. And no, there is nobody running around trying to convert you. I'm a gym rat from way back and the only difference between this and other gyms is the average age is probably 40-something rather than 20-something. Cost is 360 $/yr and you can add a family member for 15$/yr. Good luck.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I used to work for Bally's and agree with Doug. They are no-nonsense. When looking for a gym take into account things you don't consider as a walk in consumer. Think of things as a regular user.
    1. Is the staff clean cut and well presented. Are the trainers wearing workout shoes or shoes that look like sneakers that have been in the backyard for a few years. Is the manager a huge lump of crap? Is the front desk person borderline retarded?
    2. Is the facility clean? Look at the place on equipment where peoples heads go, if it is all cracked and glossy the place is rarely cleaned and if so, not with antibacterial solution. look at the handles of the dumbells. Are they shiny and straight? The same dude that never washes his hands after pissing in the bar is the guy who does the same thing at the gym, except now his fumunda cheese is on the 45 pound dumbell instead of the beernuts. Do they use an outside cleaning staff or do they make the trainers clean? If it is the latter I can attest to the fact that they do not clean it. I was required to clean a certain area of equipment at Pure Fitness (24 hour fitness with lots of jesus) and did a good job of keeping my equipment clean. But I was not paid for the time I spent cleaning. Many trainers flat out refused to do so and it got so nasty that there were health code violations.
    3. Staff turnover. Ask about the typical length of stay for staff. If the trainers are always going out the door for greener pastures it tells you something about how they run the place, I mean they are paid to be there and they would rather leave. Are the staff members intelligent? Stop and speak with a trainer and learn their view of the place.
    4. Do they require staff to actually know something about fitness? Lots of gyms hire staff based on sales performance, which is good for business, but if a trainer can't explain in logical detail what the sliding filament theory is and how many calories are in a gram of any macronutrient, then they are a useless bag of meat that has a sweet haircut and shiny shoes.
    5. Does every trainer look like they have a sweet haircut and shiny shoes and that extremely ******y look that suggests that they will be yapping it up with all the cheerleader girls or starring in an axe commercial, rather than helping you prevent a rotator cuff tear? Barb wire tattoos look almost mandatory? Hair gel in the restroom running low? Not a tanline in sight? This should tell you something about the level of professional integrity the facility has.
    6. Damaged equipment? Look at the heavy dumbells, like the 100+ ones. Are the handles bent to hell from being dropped? If a gym won't enforce the no weight dropping rule, they will likely not enforce the monthly tension check/calibration of the treadmill rule. Is it newer equipment? Is it still under warranty? Older stuff is often just let go until someone gets hurt.

How do you learn all this? Get a week pass to the place. If they refuse, leave and go to another facility, within minutes you will get a free week there to try and see. And test out EVERY piece of equipment you plan on using. This includes showers and toilets and drinking fountains. Just like buying a new car, drive it like you plan to in an emergency. Drive it hard, slam on the breaks and try to take a corner as fast as possible. Any weakness in the system will present itself quickly. Look for:
    1. Treadmills that stutter when you run on them, meaning the tension on the belt is too low and allows your weight to inherently stop the belt.
    2. Squeaky machines or rusty weight plates/stacks.
    3. Spin bikes that have never been adjusted (seats nose high etc.).
    4. Stationary bikes that rattle when you weight shift.
    5. Rubber mats that are all bunched up or have high spots, terrible tripping hazard.
    6. Computer system up front always seems to be on the fritz.
    7. Toilets do not flush or run constantly, and urinals that are never piss stank free.
    8. Showers that feel slimy (never shower without flip flops) under your shoes, and the water either smells bad or there is a huge buildup of calcium on the head.
    9. Locker room floor is clean. Look for dirty footprints. This place breeds MRSA so if they are not proactive about cleaning a place that should be sanitary...
    10. Lockers damaged/ tagged?
    11. Windows clean?
    12. Does the place generally smell pleasant? Or does it smell like Mr. Fumunda has put his spell on the whole place?
    13. Is there sufficient equipment to handle the rush? Monday at 4pm is the start of national chest/arms day. It doesn't end until typically the next morning. Can you get a great peaceful workout at 5pm? 7pm? 5am? 7am?
    14. Parking lot well lit at night/sufficient parking?

Make a list of all the pros/cons after you try out each place and determine the best course of action at this point. It's not about the monthly fee you will end up paying. The fee typically is the same at the big chain places and comparing/shopping around gets the number to settle somewhere in the middle for each facility. If you can live with the bad parts, then you have a match. If not don't spend a dime there because fitness is something that should be enjoyed. Think miller chill VS Four Peaks Kiltlifter. Or a 9 dollar jug of sangria, VS $15 bottle of Fourteen Hands Cab. They all get the job done, but why not enjoy the process?

I know this is waaaay too much information than you thought, but I am passionate about how shatty gyms can be. And I HATE stupid meathead trainers almost as much as sleazy "fitness consultants" (think the guy that greets you after you fill out that intro card). BTW do not put any personal info you don't have to onto that card. Phone number should be fake, and address too. Until you buy a membership, they do not need that info, and will likely call you every week for something, or possibly sell your info to the highest bidder. These are the things that irked me as a trainer in various facilities, and I have learned to look for them when I shop for a gym.
    Good luck on your search.

mtbr member
    Damn, that was way more of an answer than I was looking for, but that was AWESOME! Thanks for all of that.

I need to get out and find a new gym this week. Been off my feet other than riding from a spine rebuild, put on something like 60lbs. Its gross.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    The Village on 44th and Camelback is nice if you dont mind paying for it.... last I heard it was 500 enrollment fee and 140 a month... too much for me but people who are really into the whole gym and club thing seem to like it.

mtbr member
    WOW! $140 a month? That better come with happy ending massages.

I want something like $35, no BS, hard lifting, running, sweat and pain. All of the other stuff is just a distraction to me, and my ADD is far too strong to allow for such things.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you want no-nonsense...DO NOT GO TO LA FITNESS!!! I go there because it's convenient for me, but the place is basically car salesman with workout equipment.

LA Fitness is convenient and have good equipment, but the people there are mostly D-bags...and yes, I said MOSTLY...There's always weights people don't put back, bags laying everywhere, and friends talking for a half hour while holding up equipment. Piss on the toilet seats, crap left in the showers, and prissy girls talking on the cell phone while barely moving on the treadmills and elliptacle machines.

I've gone to Bally's, Lifetime, and Cardinal Fitness, and they're all better than LA Fitness. Like I said, I only go because there's one 5 minutes from my house and another 5 minutes from my work.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by DJake
    If you want no-nonsense...DO NOT GO TO LA FITNESS!!! I go there because it's convenient for me, but the place is basically car salesman with workout equipment.

LA Fitness is convenient and have good equipment, but the people there are mostly D-bags...and yes, I said MOSTLY...There's always weights people don't put back, bags laying everywhere, and friends talking for a half hour while holding up equipment. Piss on the toilet seats, crap left in the showers, and prissy girls talking on the cell phone while barely moving on the treadmills and elliptacle machines.

I've gone to Bally's, Lifetime, and Cardinal Fitness, and they're all better than LA Fitness. Like I said, I only go because there's one 5 minutes from my house and another 5 minutes from my work.
    I was about to post the exact same thing! Its too close to my home for me to go anywhere else, but there's not much good to say about it - oh, its next to Trader Joe's!

mtbr member

What's wrong with Car salesmen?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    What's wrong with Car salesmen?
    Car salesman hound you, won't leave you alone, won't let you leave, won't give you your keys back for your trade-in, go to the manager's office and "see what the manager says," take money from the trade-in, sell unnecessary protection packages, and basically create a horrible buying experience for customers for their 2nd biggest purchase they'll ever make. I should know...I was one for 5 years. Management and finance included.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Car salesman hound you, won't leave you alone, won't let you leave, won't give you your keys back for your trade-in, go to the manager's office and "see what the manager says," take money from the trade-in, sell unnecessary protection packages, and basically create a horrible buying experience for customers for their 2nd biggest purchase they'll ever make. I should know...I was one for 5 years. Management and finance included.
    And they often don't know jack squat about the specifications of the cars they are selling.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    And they often don't know jack squat about the specifications of the cars they are selling.
    Yup...We were trained to get 40 yesses in 40 minutes. Each time the customer said "yes" it was called a mini-close, and when we got 40 in 40 minutes, it was a pretty good chance they'd buy the car. Questions like "You could see how that would be beneficial to you right?" YES!!! Or "these crumple zones that Toyota (like no other car company offers them) builds into their car will help you and your family (always talk about the safety of their family) in the event of an impact. The safety of your family is important to you right? YES!!! Seriously I wanted to throw up...course...I made a ****-ton of money doing it...but I never lied to a customer in 5 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was the gym car salesman for 5+ years. We had quotas on supplements of like 1500 a month. At one point our regional director was so upset that we weren't making the grade on sales that he refused to pay anyone who didn't sell a bottle of pills every hour for a week. My last boss there was 19 and I was 24 at the time and he claimed he was the manager that they called in to fix things. He was fat, lazy, worthless and didn't know a thing about fitness. It wasn't that he was a giant ******bag that made me quit Pure Fitness, it was that they would flat out lie to anyone to get them to spend cash there. Telling customers things like the caffeine pills are safe to take with heart medications, and that taking an 80 dollar per bottle of fat burner is like a week of cardio in a day. I vowed once I left there that supps. and high pressure sales would never be a part of my life again. Every person I worked with there hated their lives to the point of depression, and they have all left the company. And these guys claimed to be christian! Horrible place to work for and always try to talk anyone out of ever joining or working there. And I was in the military. The sales techniques these Nazis use are just like the ones car salesmen use, but try selling a product to people that they know they are not going to like, will have to do for the rest of their lives, and takes forever to see the benefit.

I loved my time as a trainer, but I will do everything in my power to never do it for a gym again. LA, 24 Hour, Pure, Golds...They all play the same game for the same crony. Just remember that 20 members with autodebit for their dues that never come are worth 20 that do come. they know that and will do everything they can to keep you out but keep you paying.

mtbr member

That's odd, I've been going to LA Fitness for over 8 years now, and can't remember anybody ever selling me anything. That might be because I walk in with a "don't you dare ****ing talk to me" look on my face and a pack of smokes rolled up in my shirt sleeve.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    That's odd, I've been going to LA Fitness for over 8 years now, and can't remember anybody ever selling me anything. That might be because I walk in with a "don't you dare ****ing talk to me" look on my face and a pack of smokes rolled up in my shirt sleeve.
    Once you're already in they leave you alone. When you sign up and get your free training is when they get you. Oh...and when they do the "friends and family" weekends...Also watch the turnaround there. The "managers" are closers...the salesmen stay about a week after training, and the trainers are salesmen too. And if you sign up for training, and you schedule an appointment, it doesn't matter who your trainer is, they give you whoever is available when you come in. People get pissed and stop training, but they're still paying for it since they're under contract.

mtbr member
    Never had anyone try to sell anything to me or my wife when we go to La fitness.

mtbr member
    Well Ive been in the auto industry for over 10 years & that doesn't sound like anything Ive ever done...If you were a manager probaly maikng six figuires a year than you must not have been any good otherwise you wouldn't have left...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    Well Ive been in the auto industry for over 10 years & that doesn't sound like anything Ive ever done...If you were a manager probaly maikng six figuires a year than you must not have been any good otherwise you wouldn't have left...
    If you've never heard of that happening then you must be selling Kias or work for Carmax. I never said anything to attack YOU...I was talking about car salesmen in general. And you know most are overall bad people with no morals. Don't say I wasn't good at it when you don't know anything about why I left. You might leave too if your health was compromised because of bleeding ulcers from stress. It's a stressful job and it wasn't worth it for me. Car salesmen have a bad reputation because MOST of them deserve it. MOST of them are liars and cheats. Yes, I left a good paying job. But after doing it for 5 years, I was sick of being pissed off in the morning driving to work, pissed off when I left work, scheduled 55 hours a week not including overtime, and it put a strain on my relationships. Managers work more hours than salesmen. It's not worth money if you're pissed off all the time. I left it for a 9-5 job with every other weekend off. I'm so much happier now and my family and friends tell me all the time they're so glad I got out of it. Sorry I'm not greedy like 99% of this country. Sorry I want to be happy and not have to brag about how much money I make. Oh wait...no I'm not sorry. And I'm definately not sorry that I can tell people what I do without knowing that they think I'm a scumbag.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    every job i've had working for someone else made me stressed and pissed off.

banned
    If you've never heard of that happening then you must be selling Kias or work for Carmax. I never said anything to attack YOU...I was talking about car salesmen in general. And you know most are overall bad people with no morals. Don't say I wasn't good at it when you don't know anything about why I left. You might leave too if your health was compromised because of bleeding ulcers from stress. It's a stressful job and it wasn't worth it for me. Car salesmen have a bad reputation because MOST of them deserve it. MOST of them are liars and cheats. Yes, I left a good paying job. But after doing it for 5 years, I was sick of being pissed off in the morning driving to work, pissed off when I left work, scheduled 55 hours a week not including overtime, and it put a strain on my relationships. Managers work more hours than salesmen. It's not worth money if you're pissed off all the time. I left it for a 9-5 job with every other weekend off. I'm so much happier now and my family and friends tell me all the time they're so glad I got out of it. Sorry I'm not greedy like 99% of this country. Sorry I want to be happy and not have to brag about how much money I make. Oh wait...no I'm not sorry. And I'm definately not sorry that I can tell people what I do without knowing that they think I'm a scumbag.
    What is your new job?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    What is your new job?
    He sells Anger Management seminars...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Well thas good....It's definetly not for everyone...I definetly know that...Its kinda a revolving door at a car dealership...I currently work for a family owned dealer in Mesa...Sullivan Motors...If you know anyone that wants to buy a car send them my way...I'll give ya $200 & I wont treat them like ****...I actually enjoy what I do & the people I meet while doing it...I didn't mean to insult you but you're 100% right 90% carguys are scumbags...I'm in the 10% that love what I do...Where did you work in the Valley?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast