banned

Gunslinger Update (Sedona)

I have gotten new Intel on the recent re-route of the Gunslinger trail which is now an addition to the Chuck Wagon trail. As many of you know the Gunslinger trail was originally built to create a loop trail opportunity that Chuck Wagon could not do since it was an out and back ride.

Do to the popularity of this trail and its similar character of its cousin Chuck Wagon and the loop aspect, the trail has been brought into a well deserved system status.

One of the problems with the original alignment was that it either went through archeological sites or through unsustainable sections so it was decided to do a significant bypass to circumvent those problematic areas.

What I have been told by riders who love the old trail alignment is that the technical difficulty of the trail has been reduced and that is disappointing to those higher skilled riders. In place of that more technical section was a higher alignment which gradually climbs going in a west to east direction.

My almost 60 year old wife says she is happy with the new route since it allows her to ride in the west to east direction without having to walk short sections. This has always been my goal to see that Sedona trails are made to a level riders of my wife's skill level, so I am happy with the new alignment and thank Justin for his hard work .

I was told the new trail tread was built to last and hopefully that will be the case to dramatically reduce the need for continual maintenance that would have been required on the original lower route.

Thanks to Jennifer for making this great loop addition happen. When I originally met with her and LEO Chavez three years ago I mentioned a new user-built trail called Gunslinger had been recently brought into a riding status. Since that time the FS has watched the popularity and usefulness of that trail and happily adopted it.

There are a number of other user-built trails in Sedona with the similar character to Gunslinger and actually are much more sustainable than Gunslinger due to better original routing. Those trails I believe should be seriously considered for adoption and hopefully that will happen over the next 10 to 15 years.

TD

mtbr member
    Aren't they changing the name to Chuck Wagon though? It would make sense, as it could be viewed as one continual trail from Dry Creek Road to Long Canyon Road (minus the short leg to Van Deren Cabin).
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Aren't they changing the name to Chuck Wagon though? It would make sense, as it could be viewed as one continual trail from Dry Creek Road to Long Canyon Road (minus the short leg to Van Deren Cabin).
    that is a good idea, less names=less confusion

banned
    Woahey:

If Justin stops shooting shotgun shells into my life size picture maybe he will say what the old section is called that goes out to Brins Mesa from the old east starting point of Gunslinger. If YOUR LOGIC holds it will be called Brins (non wilderness section).
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Woahey:

If Justin stops shooting shotgun shells into my life size picture maybe he will say what the old section is called that goes out to Brims Mesa from the old east starting point of Gunslinger. If YOUR LOGIC holds it will be called Brims (non wilderness section).
    Brins Mesa Trail goes between Jordan TH and Vultee Arch Rd over Brins Mesa. The newly adopted trail goes between the end of Chuck Wagon and Long Canyon Road, right? So, by my logic it would be called Chuck Wagon.

By your logic, Lost Watch, Chuck Wagon, and Gunslinger (which is all one ribbon of single track) should be considered 3 different trails. Better yet, to not confuse anybody we should have an intersection sign up where one trail ends and the other begins along with a map that is oriented with East at the top for when you're headed East and West at the top when you're headed West.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Brins Mesa Trail goes between Jordan TH and Vultee Arch Rd over Brins Mesa. The newly adopted trail goes between the end of Chuck Wagon and Long Canyon Road, right? So, by my logic it would be called Chuck Wagon.

By your logic, Lost Watch, Chuck Wagon, and Gunslinger (which is all one ribbon of single track) should be considered 3 different trails. Better yet, to not confuse anybody we should have an intersection sign up where one trail ends and the other begins along with a map that is oriented with East at the top for when you're headed East and West at the top when you're headed West.
    Woahey:

I must say you are correct in your analysis is spot on about the ultimate naming of Chuck Wagon, but if you new the history of that trail masterpiece you would understand the original name process.

Chuck wagon was born from the dream of a guy who use to live out in that area as a homeless person in the late 90's. One day he got the idea of becoming a timeshare salesmen and got his real estate license. After becoming a successful agent he decided to buy a bike and join up with the local group and do some group rides at Mt. Bike Heaven.

At one point he decided to got back out to the Chuck Wagon area and see if he could route the now famous Chuck Wagon Loop which will become one of Sedona's most popular loops. These kinds of situations only come about once or twice in a lifetime, it is nice to live at a point in time when I could be here to enjoy it.

I look forward to getting back out there this week to enjoy the new re-route Justin put in. Justin has been a big player out there. He is responsible for re-routing and rebuilding much of the trail much of the current character of the trail we owe to his efforts