Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gross

mtbr member

Gross

And you have to wonder what's wrong with this country (or, at least Texas).

Yahoo!
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

How much further ???
    If I had a $5000 bike I sure as hell wouldn't leave in the middle of the road in front of a pickup truck, in the first place, let alone watch the driver get into the car and not move it. Not saying the old man was right in anyway but that guy let his $5000 bike get run over.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    If I had a $5000 bike I sure as hell wouldn't leave in the middle of the road in front of a pickup truck, in the first place, let alone watch the driver get into the car and not move it. Not saying the old man was right in anyway but that guy let his $5000 bike get run over.
    so not stopping for vehicles in front of you and leaving the scene of an accident are the cyclist's fault? There was no immediate threat, no one was attacking the guy, he has no justification. Your bike getting run over in that gratuitous act of BS actually strengthens your position in a civil suit as well as a criminal case. Payday, thanks old man!!!

How much further ???
    Like I said In not defending the old man. All I'm saying is if I had a $5000 bike Id make it a point to not leave it on the ground in front of any vehicle. Its like my 4 year old getting pissed that his 2 year old brother took his helicopter. Don't leave it unattended in the middle of the floor then. That's all I was saying.

Part of me was wondering if the guy wanted a new carbon frame anyway. Let me slide this aluminum frame under his front wheel .....

For the record that old guy is an a$$hole.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i don't think it matters if it was a bunch of skinny white dudes in spandex,, if you're a senior, alone, and surrounded by 6 younger guys, one of them with his bike blocking the front of his vehichle, that can be easily argued as legitimate reason for fear once it escalated into the point of the video. the video shows he is not out and SWINGING the bat, but just keeping it in precaution.
    with regard to the bike being hit at then end, the video also shows the bikers blocking the front of his truck (unlawful restraint)

i think in the end charges will be dropped on both sides, and we can chalk this whole incident up to 2 groups of *******s who just happened to scissor each other on a lonely stretch of road

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^^^^^^^Really?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i don't think it matters if it was a bunch of skinny white dudes in spandex,, if you're a senior, alone, and surrounded by 6 younger guys, one of them with his bike blocking the front of his vehichle, that can be easily argued as legitimate reason for fear once it escalated into the point of the video. the video shows he is not out and SWINGING the bat, but just keeping it in precaution.
    with regard to the bike being hit at then end, the video also shows the bikers blocking the front of his truck (unlawful restraint)

i think in the end charges will be dropped on both sides, and we can chalk this whole incident up to 2 groups of *******s who just happened to scissor each other on a lonely stretch of road
    **** that ****. The geezer was pissed the skinny white dudes in spandex were riding on the road, and decided to cut them off. No way are the skinny white dudes at fault.

And they obviously were not unlawfully restraining the geezer, since he was able to "escape."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    **** that ****. The geezer was pissed the skinny white dudes in spandex were riding on the road, and decided to cut them off. No way are the skinny white dudes at fault.

And they obviously were not unlawfully restraining the geezer, since he was able to "escape."
    Awesome, I can say "****."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Like I said In not defending the old man. All I'm saying is if I had a $5000 bike Id make it a point to not leave it on the ground in front of any vehicle. Its like my 4 year old getting pissed that his 2 year old brother took his helicopter. Don't leave it unattended in the middle of the floor then. That's all I was saying.

Part of me was wondering if the guy wanted a new carbon frame anyway. Let me slide this aluminum frame under his front wheel .....

For the record that old guy is an a$$hole.
    Yes, because if there is a moral here, it's never leave a possession, especially an expensive one, unattended when sticking up for what you believe in.

Meatbomb
    Funny how the cyclist said 'leaving the scene of an accident' before the accident even happened.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Video clearly captures the site of the cyclists. Didnt this same thing just happen out east with a motorcycle gang? I couldn't discount the possibility that the riders were being rude and not letting him pass knowing full well that is what he was trying to do. At the same time, the driver was likely being equally ignorant, entitled and surprised anyone would date step foot on his porch (ol' Gran Torino). When two parties are feeling equally self-righteous on a narrow road, this is what happens.

My $0.02.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Video clearly captures the site of the cyclists. Didnt this same thing just happen out east with a motorcycle gang? I couldn't discount the possibility that the riders were being rude and not letting him pass knowing full well that is what he was trying to do. At the same time, the driver was likely being equally ignorant, entitled and surprised anyone would date step foot on his porch (ol' Gran Torino). When two parties are feeling equally self-righteous on a narrow road, this is what happens.

My $0.02.
    Listen to the video. One of the biker's asked what they did wrong. The driver said they were biking "all over the road" and then admitted to running them off the road. Sorry, not buying the bikers were fault argument.

My other ride is your mom
    ....and another point.....what's with all the peanut gallery comments that clearly indicate only the video was watched (glossed over) and the story not read? If you're going to comment, at least have the facts straight as reported in the story you're kneejerking to.

THIS IS MTBR, NOT THE AZCENTRAL.COM COMMENTS PAGE!!!!!!!! ACCURATE AND THOUGHTFUL COMMENTS, ONLY, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The old man probably saw the video of that idiot biker laying down his bike in front of the suv IN NYC.......................**** HAPPENS.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Listen to the video. One of the biker's asked what they did wrong. The driver said they were biking "all over the road" and then admitted to running them off the road. Sorry, not buying the bikers were fault argument.

Peanut Gallery addendum: After actually reading the article, the scenario does sound a lot more grim for the driver. Upsetting indeed that the good old boys in Texas can't see past their flannel and pick-up trucks to accept the strokes of those who only ask for a small piece of road to enjoy some exercise, stress relief and social time.
    Keep the rubber side down

parenting for gnarness
    I have followed the NYC moto issue, and its night and day. There were like 6 bikers in the vid, none were in the guys personal space or threatening. And it was an accident. The SUV\NYC issue like someone said - the moto cut him off, there were dozens of them, and they immediately surrounded his car. LHM - why dont you get out of your little cocoon and ride some roads before flapping your yap about biking issues, its not your idiom.

How much further ???
    Name:  betty.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  52.6 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sold my road bike doesn't matter if you do everything right while riding on the road,all it takes is one inattentive driver to change things forever.
    Gave up street motorcycling as well. It must be a gift that you seem to know everything about everyone else.
    Wasn't implying the situation was the same as NYC.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    I have followed the NYC moto issue, and its night and day. There were like 6 bikers in the vid, none were in the guys personal space or threatening. And it was an accident. The SUV\NYC issue like someone said - the moto cut him off, there were dozens of them, and they immediately surrounded his car. LHM - why dont you get out of your little cocoon and ride some roads before flapping your yap about biking issues, its not your idiom.
    far too often roadie groups do not ride single file, or pull stuff like mass red light running from the back of the line just cause the front made it through. This is crap, and I think roadies who do it...don't deserve to get hit, but if you are running a red light you take your chances. Each rider must behave as an individual vehicle, a lesson that gets lost all the time on roadies and motos. Motos definitely bother me when I encounter a big pack, even if they are doing nothing wrong, because they ride close and its hard to pass. but you know what, its a shared road, if they are not weaving in and out or being reckless you need to just relax and share the road. The NYC video clearly showed motos cutting off the car.

But, assuming the people in the TX vid were telling the truth - they were in a line, and there were no lights, and the guy cut them off. Yes its a narrow road, but that is irrelevant when there is a vehicle in front of you, the burden is on the upcoming vehicle to pass safely. Along those lines, when the guy left he could simply have pulled out, or asked them to be out of his way rather than running someone over -- no excuse for that. Had they refused, well suddenly its a different situation but that never happened.

As a cyclist on the road you need to be very aggressive in your own defense, and it starts with not taking up more than your share of the road. As long as someone is behaving, I am almost always going to side against the driver.

GIVE HIM THE NEEDLE!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just last night I was riding Javelina trail and some old, MF'in jackrabbit pulled out in front of me to cut me off! I could tell in his beadie little eyes it was purposeful and he intended harm. True story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    ithe video also shows the bikers blocking the front of his truck (unlawful restraint)
    It looked to me as though the guy in front of the truck was just taking a picture of his license plate.

I don't want to argue about any of this though...it is Mtbr after all. I'm not a road rider for reasons such as this...and I look like hell in "spanks" or whatever it is those roadies where for pants... ::
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Part that really cracks me up are the comments to the article. Whole bunch of people who obviously have no use for bikes on the road declaring that CYCLISTS really need to learn that the rules of the road apply to them. I don't know about you guys, but I can cite several incidents PER DAY on my relatively short drive to and from work where I see cars blatantly ignoring the rules of the road. Most of the infractions would be running stop signs, running stop lights (the old California roll), going way more than 15 mph over the speed limit, and all kind of other junk. One of the comments even says cyclist are required to signal lane changes...I hardly see people do that anymore. Most automobiles I see don't stop at stop signs anymore either, but they rag on cyclists for doing it all the time. I'm only saying that it's good to see all those drivers not bothered by some good old-fashioned hypocrisy when it comes to berating cyclists about their responsibility to follow the rules of the road. They really should put the rocks down and get back in their glass house.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    yes, i work a lot of hours for my business and have minimal time to squeeze in 2 hour mtb rides, much less to ever think about hitting the road.
    however, It is allowing me to be finished with the mortgage on my cocoon by memorial day,, screw that 30-year crap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It seems like you guys are missing the part about the old dude kicking things off by intentionally driving to the front of the pack and slamming on his brakes, causing the lead biker to crash into the back of the truck and break his wrist.

At least that's what I saw in the article that I read.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Part that really cracks me up are the comments to the article. Whole bunch of people who obviously have no use for bikes on the road declaring that CYCLISTS really need to learn that the rules of the road apply to them. I don't know about you guys, but I can cite several incidents PER DAY on my relatively short drive to and from work where I see cars blatantly ignoring the rules of the road. Most of the infractions would be running stop signs, running stop lights (the old California roll), going way more than 15 mph over the speed limit, and all kind of other junk. One of the comments even says cyclist are required to signal lane changes...I hardly see people do that anymore. Most automobiles I see don't stop at stop signs anymore either, but they rag on cyclists for doing it all the time. I'm only saying that it's good to see all those drivers not bothered by some good old-fashioned hypocrisy when it comes to berating cyclists about their responsibility to follow the rules of the road. They really should put the rocks down and get back in their glass house.
    Comments would be totally different if they were all face to face. Gotta love keyboard muscles.

Also, good point about the hypocrisy.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast