Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66

    Grips in the Arizona Sun, MELTING?

    Looking for suggestions, I have the lizard skinz peaty lock on grips on my bike. the grips are great, but now they seem to be melting from the sun/heat?

    The underside, is fine, but the top side has what looks like a layer worn off, and is super sticky.

    I would of just ignored it as it isn't a problem really, but it's so sticky, it practically ate through my gloves and I have some new ones on the way.

    I just now washed the grips with soap and water as best I could, thinking i'll need to get some rubbing alcohol to get all the sticky rubber/gunk off the grips.

    anyone experience this before, if so, know of any grips that wont deteriorate in the sun/heat/hard riding?
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrider83 View Post
    Looking for suggestions, I have the lizard skinz peaty lock on grips on my bike. the grips are great, but now they seem to be melting from the sun/heat?

    The underside, is fine, but the top side has what looks like a layer worn off, and is super sticky.

    I would of just ignored it as it isn't a problem really, but it's so sticky, it practically ate through my gloves and I have some new ones on the way.

    I just now washed the grips with soap and water as best I could, thinking i'll need to get some rubbing alcohol to get all the sticky rubber/gunk off the grips.

    anyone experience this before, if so, know of any grips that wont deteriorate in the sun/heat/hard riding?
    Couple solutions: 1) try freezing grips overnight, and reinstalling them just prior to riding. Or, 2) I know of others who actually coat the grips in sunblock. However, as the temps rise, you're going to need something SPF 30 or higher.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  3. #3
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    I had this problem so I switched to foams. They grip good but lose it when it rains. Sweat has never been an issue but I do wear them out after about a year's worth of use.

    They cost like 10 bucks.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Couple solutions: 1) try freezing grips overnight, and reinstalling them just prior to riding. Or, 2) I know of others who actually coat the grips in sunblock. However, as the temps rise, you're going to need something SPF 30 or higher.
    yea, it's funny you say that, I have the grips in the freezer right now. going to have to get em out though before the wife gets home or my a*s is grass.

    yea, i've also thought about wrapping packaging tape, or duct tape around the grips too.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  5. #5
    Bloodied but Unbowed
    Reputation: DesertCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,498
    Mine do that too. I do not think it is the sun since my hands are pretty much always on the grips. I think it is the sweat from the gloves. I suppose it could be sun from the brief commute to the trailhead.

    So far it is not causing any issues. The gloves are holding up as are the grips, and being so sticky, they sure are easy to hold on to.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ View Post
    I had this problem so I switched to foams. They grip good but lose it when it rains. Sweat has never been an issue but I do wear them out after about a year's worth of use.

    They cost like 10 bucks.
    another guy recomended this too me, I'm thinking this may be my only option, unless I can find a super hard compound grip.

    I may just have to take my wife's leather grips off her cruiser. that'll get me in trouble.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66


    42 bucks for lock on leather grips. dang. maybe i'll make my own with an old belt and gorilla glue. ha ha ha.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Mine do that too. I do not think it is the sun since my hands are pretty much always on the grips. I think it is the sweat from the gloves. I suppose it could be sun from the brief commute to the trailhead.

    So far it is not causing any issues. The gloves are holding up as are the grips, and being so sticky, they sure are easy to hold on to.
    that is true, my hands stay on the bars for sure. My gloves were pretty old, so hopefully like you, the new ones will hold up and not get any holes.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  9. #9
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrider83 View Post
    yea, it's funny you say that, I have the grips in the freezer right now. going to have to get em out though before the wife gets home or my a*s is grass.
    How funny! I wonder what she would say if she knew I had a 2 stroke pipe full of water in my freezer? Or my hockey skates in the oven? LOL!

    Brenda

  10. #10
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,479
    I guess I'll be watching my Yeti lock ons to see how they handle their first summer of heat...

  11. #11
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,959
    I use lock on Oury grips and never have a melting issue.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    18
    For years when living in Phx, Mesa and AJ -- I had to wrap my mtnbike grips, gripshift and barends with cork roadbike tape to keep from tearing apart, turning to mush or from the deterioration from sunlight. I also had to use an adhesive to keep the rubber grips, etc from rotating on the bars themselves.
    me: Mark - mtnbikes: (Gary) Klein Attitude + Rascal - road: ti wunderbike - where: formerly Milton, WA and now Gilbert, AZ

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    I wrapped them in some plumbing teflon tape, then with some clear packing tape. we'll see how that holds up.

    it looks pretty cool, at least, for now. next ride will be friday morning.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Couple solutions: 1) try freezing grips overnight, and reinstalling them just prior to riding. Or, 2) I know of others who actually coat the grips in sunblock. However, as the temps rise, you're going to need something SPF 30 or higher.
    I didnt have time to freeze my grips today after i read your suggestion so I slathered em in SPF50.. worked great! I did slip off and take a couple tumbles but I think its a glove issue. Gonna put some gorilla tape backwards around the fingers tonight and try the freezing. I think with all three I might actually cure the problem. Any sales on Gorilla tape?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    164
    Try some animal edwins

  16. #16
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,242
    those of you with issue where are you storing your bike? I had issues once with a few different types but moved my rides into the house no problem since.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  17. #17
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,032
    I guess I'll be watching my Yeti lock ons to see how they handle their first summer of heat...
    Been using Yeti lock-on's off and on for years. Never had a problem with them due to heat. They do wear fairly quickly though. Turning them around after a while doubles the useful length of them.

    FWIW I store my bike in my garage all summer long.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,139
    Wtb lockons w/o a problem for 2 years. I keep my bike in the garage.

  19. #19
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,242
    I used to keep my bike in an uninsulated/vented shed which I know say temps around 140+ inside during summer. Had ruffians,specialized and sunlines get soft and tacky when I kept them in the shed .I still have the same brands/type of grips minus the speci and have not had any further issues.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Melting grips? We have a dozen bikes and 3 scooters all stored a various placed including in and around the house, in the shed, on the patio, in the carport... and the only one that has melting grip problems is the cheap Target special that gets direct sunlight on it from about 1pm until sunset.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    I didnt have time to freeze my grips today after i read your suggestion so I slathered em in SPF50.. worked great! I did slip off and take a couple tumbles but I think its a glove issue. Gonna put some gorilla tape backwards around the fingers tonight and try the freezing. I think with all three I might actually cure the problem. Any sales on Gorilla tape?
    Oops, I forgot to mention that if you use sun block, you should also invest in those gynoconologist latex gloves. Speaking of which, regarding some of the concerns with riding during pollution warnings, I'd also recommend riding with a surgical mask.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: desertrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    I'm going to invest in some leather lock ons chain reaction has some pretty good deals, only about 10 dollars more than the peaty's.
    Only goal when going outdoors: Dont be one of those stupid people waisting tax dollars having to be rescued. Ever.

Similar Threads

  1. My grips are melting!
    By bsdc in forum Texas
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
  2. Melting the red knobs at BB7
    By trelgne in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
  3. It's Melting
    By steadyflow in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 06:38 AM
  4. Melting
    By Phat Tyred in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •